Page 782 of 1235 FirstFirst ... 282682732772780781782783784792832882 ... LastLast
Results 15,621 to 15,640 of 24690
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Well it's not like they ever needed a reason to put you in a gulag in the Stalinist Russia.

From your post I assume there is no German campaign? Lame.
    There are effectively three modes in this game.

1) Campaign. This is your cinematic, linear series of missions to continue a cohesive narrative. This is Soviet only, following the exploits of Lieutenant Lev Abramovich Isakovich, as recounted to his former commander while in a gulag in Siberia.

2) Skirmish. This is your multiplayer battle mode complete with ranks and unlocks and whatever. You can play as Soviet or Ostheer.

3) Theatre of War. This is a series of specialized missions, split between solo, co-op and multiplayer, that feature various important historical battles through the use of unique circumstances, time frames and objectives. Missions are split equally between Soviet and Ostheer, and both sides have their own separate structure.

So, in a sense, there is no German campaign, where you follow the life of a German commander like Wolfgang Berger in Opposing Fronts. There are, however, a series of German missions that, while unrelated to one another, are quite compelling.
    Last edited by Nalano; 25-06-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Stalled on Space Pirates and Zombies after some 50 hours. It gets a bit too samey in the later parts of the game (that is, before the parts where things turn a bit different). Probably also doesn't help that I've finished it once, so I know what happens.
    Still, I haven't given up on it yet.

Tried King's Bounty: The Legend and, like the first times I tried it, got slaughtered.
    Then I tried King's Bounty: Warriors of the North and got slaughtered too.
    Now I'm done with the first island in King's Bounty: Armored Princess and I'm beginning to think that starting AP on Easy due to the experiences with TL and WotN was a mistake; it's a tad too easy.
    AP strikes me as the game in the series they enjoyed making. It has more nice details and charm than the others, at least from what I've seen (AP is the only one I've finished).
    TL and WotN seem very similar.

I never thought I'd say this but two hours on DoTA and it's got me hooked. Played a bit of it a few years ago but it didn't really clicked but now? I can harldy stop. People kept saying "Try Drow Ranger!" or "Dwarvern Sniper!" whenever I asked which hero is a good one for starters. Tried Drow Ranger, found her pretty meh. Dwarvern Sniper's a bit like DR but with frags instead of ice bolts. Tried some other random heroes to see if they're good but nope. Either I really suck at this game or I'm just rubbish. Or both. Then, I picked the Juggernaut. Right. Here is when I started to have some real fun with this game. He deals helluva damage, he can take hits, he's a fucking samurai who knows that blond femboy's signature move and practically invincible with it. He's perfect in groups and hell, he's just the guy I'm looking for. Gonna start another run tomorrow. See if I could catch up levelling him up with the others.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I never thought I'd say this but two hours on DoTA and it's got me hooked.
    DotA1 or DotA2?
    If the former, get yourself an invite for DotA2. Same game, lots less bugs, much prettier to look at.
    If the latter, then ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Biggest difference between Drow/Sniper and Juggernaut is that Juggernaut is a mid-game carry (means his impact in the game usually peaks at around 15-25 mins) while Drow and Sniper shine in the late game (35+).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've not played an RTS game for ages, and the last was Shogun 2's real time battles.

Company of Heroes 2 fucking hates me. The whole 'ok now be in 3 places at once' demand it puts on you throughout the entire second and third level just made me feel like a dunce as I hamfistedly tried (and failed) to coordinate the defence.

I kinda want to replay them until my brain can at least process the multitasking.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Also playing through Metal Gear Solid but I haven't touched it in about a week so I might get on that tonight before I forget about it and come back in a few months and start all over again
    I just realized MGS 1 and 2 are on PC. How is it? Also, where might one (legally) acquire a copy? They're on the Bay, but I'd really prefer to keep my conscience clean.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    I just realized MGS 1 and 2 are on PC. How is it? Also, where might one (legally) acquire a copy? They're on the Bay, but I'd really prefer to keep my conscience clean.
    From what I understand, you're probably better off emulating than attempting the ports. They're not on any direct download service, so check the other 'Bay if you really want (or get the PS1/PS2 versions and emulate free of guilt.)

I used the bay version of MGS2 (I do own a retail copy but I ran out of cables to connect the DVD drive) and it worked surprisingly well on Win7-64. Do not even attempt do run it without a pad. Even then it's still a very poor port. I'm talking Saints Row 2 or Resident Evil 4 poor here. I had to adjust the subtitle language every time I started up the game. Changing graphics or controls from inside the game? Nope.
    At least it worked. It crashed a couple of times while alt-tabbing but otherwise there weren't any bugs. That said, having played MGS1 is absolutely mandatory. The story is mostly separate but it is designed in such a way that you will miss out. It's difficult to explain why but you will see.

FISSION MAILED
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Oh, I played the first three back in the day, so I know the premise and much of the plot, although some parts are missing. Reading about the games just hit me like a nostalgia tsunami. MGS was like nothing I had ever experienced when I first played it. I haven't emulated above SNES level, but it seems like it may be the best option, then. It also let's me play Snake Eater. I'll go see if I can find the games for cheaps somewhere.

IIRC, talk of emulation is a bit of a no-no here, but does it work well and can I use a 360 controller for it?

I just started The Witcher 2. I stopped when I got stuck in the tutorial. I'm supposed to "control" a monster but the spell does nothing. I already had to read a guide to figure out the "riposte" thing.
    What a great start.

The Witcher 2: EE with the FCR mod and an imported Witcher 1 save game, never used an earlier save before. Combat is definitely much more punishing, and Hard difficulty seems to strike a good balance. I gave up on Dark mode halfway through the prologue; it was basically impossible. Signs have been buffed to a ludicrous degree, to the point that Aard knocks crowds over like they're pins and you're throwing a bowling ball, and casting Igni only two times is enough to barbecue most unarmored enemies. A few things are supposed to compensate for this, such as human enemies being able to parry much more effectively and monster attacks being unblockable, but the kinks haven't quite been worked out yet so you'll regularly find yourself facing a bandit that does nothing but parry your swings the entire time until you cast a sign that breaks his defense. I don't know if the mod intentionally encourages sign use, but I liked it better when you had to use magic in a supportive rather than an offensive mode.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    IIRC, talk of emulation is a bit of a no-no here
    Only if you respect the machinations of busybodies.

Finally finished a game, the first in three months (probably more), whopee! I'm a part of this thread again. I must say, playing said game turned out to be instrumental to its finishment.

Anyway, it was Thomas Was Alone. A respectable amount of understated cleverness went into it, although I felt it was only brilliant when it focused on gravity. Not too long, nice music. The Wheately-ish narrator and those things I won't talk about, that reminded me of the paint system, gave me the feeling that it was losing its personality core somehow - but still worth playing.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    DotA1 or DotA2?
    If the former, get yourself an invite for DotA2. Same game, lots less bugs, much prettier to look at.
    If the latter, then ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Biggest difference between Drow/Sniper and Juggernaut is that Juggernaut is a mid-game carry (means his impact in the game usually peaks at around 15-25 mins) while Drow and Sniper shine in the late game (35+).
    Former. Might give DOTA2 a go later. I just went back there again and I lost. How do you guys level up so fast again?
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

I suck at Borderlands 2... It's not even funny. I am only level 11 and already died a dozen times. I tend to go to far ahead with my fragile Zero... and the sniper rifle is so slow to reload that if I miss too much... and I miss often because my aim sucks... well i am screwed. I guess I should try other weapons for closer range and invest in melée later on.

Well I am having fun anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    I suck at Borderlands 2... It's not even funny. I am only level 11 and already died a dozen times. I tend to go to far ahead with my fragile Zero... and the sniper rifle is so slow to reload that if I miss too much... and I miss often because my aim sucks... well i am screwed. I guess I should try other weapons for closer range and invest in melée later on.

Maybe try another character class? If you like to rush ahead, the Gunzerker might be something for you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar

Zero works well with shotguns and revolvers and melee if you want to get up close and personal.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Zero works well with shotguns and revolvers and melee if you want to get up close and personal.
    and @ L_No.

The thing is, I want to challenge myself with something a bit new... I played Brick and Roland in the first game and now I want another experience. But I think I'll play close and personal, some melée perks seems amazing (Death Mark and the one reloading the stealth timer for exemple) and still fry some guys with a good sniper rifle when they don't move too much :P.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar

If you're struggling it always helps to make absolutely sure your shield is up to scratch (when there's a five level gap between you and your shield you really should grab the very next thing you find). Also completing side quests will keep you in a good spot, if you try to rush through and only do story quests you'll be completely out of your depth. Oh and this might help: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/El...#Borderlands_2. Basically, use elemental damage whenever you can and always have a good Slag weapon to hand. if you find any Plasma Casters I strongly suggest using them, they're awesome. Finally, as you're playing as Zer0, I'd recommend boosting his melee ability and when you get the Law pistol keep hold of it as it doubles your melee damage. There is an obvious downfall to a melee build though and that's the fact that you'll suck when it comes to certain bosses and any flying enemies, but on the plus side you'll have a weapon that always levels with you and it has infinite ammo. When you get the Order (quite late in the game) to go with your Law you'll also be able to regenerate health by meleeing stuff.

Well, I played Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep last night at L_No's request, the main story missions and one hilarious Dark Souls piss-take side quest took 220 minutes according to Steam but that included a toilet break and about 5-10 minutes of putting the dogs out and then to bed. No, they're not euphemisms. Otherwise I rushed through it, I ran away from one or two fights because I just couldn't be bothered (a couple of the new enemies are cheap as hell because their attack rates are too high).

Personally I really liked it, the new areas are pretty, er, pretty and... Bear with me here... It's more linear than the other DLCs (note: I haven't touched Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt yet). In that it's entirely linear. That's a good thing because I don't know about you, but I got fucking sick of traversing fairly large, open, empty, bland spaces over and over (especially in Captain Scarlett's thing) again as I took a quest, did the quest and came back again to get the next quest. This time you get a quest, go to the goal, get the next quest and so on until the end. I can only think of two occasions where I had to retrace my steps to find an objective. I played as a lv.50 Axton in TVH mode and relied almost entirely on a Bee and Unkempt Harold, but my Hawkeye and Conference Call also got some use.

On the subject of enemies, it's a mixed bag really. There are two types of skeletons I really appreciated and two types I really, really didn't. I won't ruin the surprise, but it's nice that there are actually entirely new models this time. I don't think I got any quest reward gear and the only new items I found were the 'magic' Maliwan grenade mods that regenerate grenade ammo over time, but I didn't use them.
    Last edited by neema_t; 26-06-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Network Hub
    So iRacing has grabbed me by the balls and refuses to let go. Loving the Skip Barber, such a fun little car to throw around.