Page 804 of 1260 FirstFirst ... 304704754794802803804805806814854904 ... LastLast
Results 16,061 to 16,080 of 25184
  1. #16061
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,592
    I have a bunch of great and excellently produced modern games lined up on my desktop from recent sales, but I can't help but play OpenTTD on the Sunday's morning.

    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

  2. #16062
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    I have a bunch of great and excellently produced modern games lined up on my desktop from recent sales, but I can't help but play OpenTTD on the Sunday's morning.
    Same, except for me it's Soldier of Fortune. For some reason I've been thinking about this game fairly often lately, maybe because it's the first game I played with a modern graphics card (I got it with a Geforce2 MX, the first of the MX cards), but also because it had some nice things in it.
    Location based damage is fairly common now, of course, but SoF had 26 body zones. I doubt even new games have anywhere near that. Enemies reacted to where you shot them and you could even shoot the weapon out of their hands (of course, usually you ended up shooting their hands off instead, but...).
    It also had gibs that on the snow levels not only slid down slopes, but left blood trails. I think you left tracks in the snow too, something that you don't see that often either.
    It seems like the game should have been a milestone, but wasn't.

    It had some sort of bumpmapping and shine which wasn't very common in 2000. That also means it doesn't actually look that terrible now.

    It has some weird bits now that I don't remember from back then. Sidestrafing sometimes, but not always, makes you move at an angle rather than straight to the side, which is a bit difficult to adjust for. And this Community Edition I'm playing (updated to run on modern system, with widescreen support and stuff) also wants to connect to servers, probably because it's mostly meant for MP, but I don't want it to and every time it tries, it lags the game.
    I can't even find the main config file to turn that off...

  3. #16063
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,385
    I survived winter in Don't Starve. Barely. I don't want to spoil anything, but the game continues throwing curve balls at you just as you've settled into a semi-relaxed routine. Now I'm going to find a good spot for a second camp and then go hunt for Maxwell's door.

  4. #16064
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    253
    Playing Dust: An Elysian something. It's well done, with nice art and controls. But now that I'm at chapter 3, I find myself hoping there isn't much more of it, because it's becoming grindy. Maybe I should be playing it on a higher difficulty, but it's not so much the combat as the endless quests. Also I wish the menus would work better with a mouse.

    I finished borderlands 2 for the first time a few days ago, with axton. Great game, will definitely play again, both ng+ but also with the mechromancer.

    I also started playing a bit of World of Tanks again, after more than a year of pause. The first ten or so matches were terrible as the enemy team kept reminding me not to push too aggresively by blowing me up. Now I'm getting used to the pace again. But they must have changed something with artillery because noone is playing it. Literally the only time I've seen arty was when I was playing it.

  5. #16065
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    I also started playing a bit of World of Tanks again, after more than a year of pause. The first ten or so matches were terrible as the enemy team kept reminding me not to push too aggresively by blowing me up. Now I'm getting used to the pace again. But they must have changed something with artillery because noone is playing it. Literally the only time I've seen arty was when I was playing it.
    It got what appeared to be a major nerf in the last patch. Much slower reloading and targeting. I haven't played since just before the last patch, so I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but from what you say it must be pretty severe.

  6. #16066
    Lesser Hivemind Node Oshada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Lonely Mountain
    Posts
    704
    I'm playing XCOM. I prefer Fire Emblem Awakening but then again there aren't many similarities between the games, I just like the FE mechanics better.

  7. #16067
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Anyone played Cursed Mountain ?? I am eager to try it out. Gonna start some horror game today,still don't know which one to pick.
    I've played Cursed Mountain. It's alright! Extremely slow, and the ghost enemies are stupid, but the environments are good.

  8. #16068
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,789
    still bastion.

    just got my first shard. the novelty wore off now. love the music love the narration... story confuses me. the gameplay tough. very repetitive.
    game is beautiful so i might play a bit more of it. but probably need a break.

  9. #16069
    Network Hub Pertusaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    that island off the coast
    Posts
    437
    Spent a couple hours with Thomas Was Alone (which I got in an earlier Steam sale), and it's great. I get frustrated a lot, but I know I'm crap at platformers, so it may not be all that difficult.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

  10. #16070
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    still bastion.

    just got my first shard. the novelty wore off now. love the music love the narration... story confuses me. the gameplay tough. very repetitive.
    game is beautiful so i might play a bit more of it. but probably need a break.
    Just wait until you find out that half the game is taken up by challenge arenas based around each weapon.

    I liked Bastion, but wish they had put more into the game instead of focussing on style (which was great admittedly).

  11. #16071
    I play in Chivalry now, it's amazing game.

  12. #16072
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Civ V BNW total noob here, haen't played since Civ II, I'm in 1700's and here is whats going on:

    Maybe I chose a wrong difficulty or doing something wrong but for some reasont trade is almost impossible. For every one luxury resource an AI player demands three. And even if he has no gold he is not interested in it even though I'm swimming in gold, he ignores strategic resources I'm trying to sell too. So how am I supposed to up the Hpapiness when its -4 already and I'm about to annex a 12+ city? I disabled growth everywhere. I'm trying to find natural wonders. But well, my capital is just 10 people, I feel like thats not enough when some civs have 20+ cities. Also, war. At first I got involved into a landgrab against Persians, I felt they had too much gold in one place. So, I destroyed his fleet and razed one of his cities. Then we made peace but right after that Ottomans declared war on me for some reason. I beat their fleet easily( AI is dumb), plunder their trade ways, raze one of their citites and we made peace. Then Poles attack. Why? I never even discovered where they live, we have no land connection, they have obsolete army and fleet. I beat their fleet. I harrass their land units with my Galleans( btw, why do Galleans have cannons when I didn't yet complete Gunpowder research?), plunder their trade routes... then we made peace for 15 turns. I don't get it, what did he even want with that war? My land?


    It was interesting in the beginning and then ok for some time, but then with slowass dumb AI wars and unhappiness meter as the final boss I'm just tired and altf4ring out.
    UNHAPPINESS:

    Each population = 1 unhappiness
    Each city = 2 unhappiness
    Each annexed city = 1 global unhappiness per citizen in annexed city

    Things that increase happiness: Luxury resources, happiness buildings (coliseums, stone works, zoos, circuses, stadiums), happiness wonders (circus maximus, forbidden city, eiffel tower, notre dame), natural wonders, religious policies (ceremonial burial, asceticism, religious center, goddess of love, sacred waters, etc), cultural policies (military caste, professional army, meritocracy, cultural diplomacy, capitalism, urbanization, socialist realism, young pioneers, universal healthcare, fortified borders, protectionism, etc)

    TRADING RESOURCES WITH OTHER CIVS:

    Don't

    FIGHTING WITH OTHER CIVS:

    Each declaration of war ups your "warmonger" rating, making various civs and city-states hate you that much more. The more you go to war, the more likely civs will pre-emptively fight you.
    Last edited by Nalano; 21-07-2013 at 09:25 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  13. #16073
    Lesser Hivemind Node mnemnoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    521
    I tried playing RE6. This interactive movie is full of unskippable QTEs.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

  14. #16074
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    UNHAPPINESS:
    TRADING RESOURCES WITH OTHER CIVS:

    Don't
    Why shouldn't we ?

  15. #16075
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by AshEnke View Post
    Why shouldn't we ?
    They will not accept any trade that doesn't give them a substantial advantage. They are competitors, after all.

    If you want to get some luxury resource that can't be found within your own borders, find and befriend a city-state that has it. You'll have a far easier time of it.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  16. #16076
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    They will not accept any trade that doesn't give them a substantial advantage. They are competitors, after all.

    If you want to get some luxury resource that can't be found within your own borders, find and befriend a city-state that has it. You'll have a far easier time of it.
    The thing that I never understand is that the more desperate and behind they are, the worse the deals get.

  17. #16077
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    The thing that I never understand is that the more desperate and behind they are, the worse the deals get.
    Because to accept a deal that puts them at a disadvantage would mean they have a hand in their own dissolution and destruction. The only time they're willing to do that is when you literally have an army at the doors of their capital.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  18. #16078
    Network Hub Choca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    They will not accept any trade that doesn't give them a substantial advantage. They are competitors, after all.
    That's one of the fundamentally annoying things about Civ games for me, the fact that everyone is trying to "win".

    While I'm usually aiming for victory, my main goal is always to create a fun civilization that will span the ages first and foremost and I wish the AI could reflect that in some ways (or game mode).

    Anyway I think I'm done with Brave New World for a while, I've played it a lot these last few weeks and had a good deal of fun with it.

  19. #16079
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Choca View Post
    That's one of the fundamentally annoying things about Civ games for me, the fact that everyone is trying to "win".
    Unlike the real world, where we're all just cooperating for peace and harmony, right?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  20. #16080
    Network Hub Choca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Unlike the real world, where we're all just cooperating for peace and harmony, right?
    There's a difference between striving to get the better out of a deal and mechanically refusing to even consider it because it does not fit into some preset and ridiculous victory conditions.

    And yeah, in the real world, no one is going to declare war on their neighbour because they're close to a cultural victory.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •