Page 81 of 1234 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283911311815811081 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 24674
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I'm on a serious historical strategy kick. I'm still playing my learning game of EU3 Chronicles as Portugal, but I've also started dabbling with Hegemony Gold and so far I'm quite impressed. Oh, and I still toss in the occasional skirmish in Rise of Nations, because why not?
    I haven't played rise of nations in such a long time. Honestly one of the finest RTS games of that type - there's something about the fluidity of the action, the tug of war feel that the combat evoked, that was just enormously satisfying to play, especially when everything you were building and researching clicked together, leading to an inexorable advance, and desperate enemy defenses.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Just had a game of Medieval like, totally war, like omigahd. The first one. I'd played it a few years ago for years (on and off) in a single, monstrous campaign of Danishness that turned into a long ang gruelling dual superpower fight against Egypt, even though I tried very hard to settle it peacefully (you have the Southeast, I'll have the Northwest. Everybody wins. Though I keep total control of the sea, obviously. I mean, I actually have boats, for a start).

This time, I tried with the Danes again, and had a much harder start as I didn't risk attacking Germany early. I went east, and was saving up for an invasion of Lithuania when... my king died. Of nothing. Game over.

Apparently there were no heirs. So his four brothers (the first king had about 9 sons) apparently didn't count. So basically, the game decided to give me a king who produced no heirs, and then he died. Which meant instant game over for me, totally outside my control.

What a con! I had no idea the game did that. I figured it'd just spark off a civil war instead and let you pick a side. Hmph.

Meant to say I also tried the Europa Universalis 3 demo after remembering enjoying what Quinns wrote about it ages ago.

Wasn't surprised when I sort of bounced off it. The idea of these games always appeals to me but the complexity (not because I'm scared of complexity, but because it's new complexity) puts me off a little when I've tried them. What would be a good example of the genre that's a bit simpler for me to dip my toe in the water?
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Meant to say I also tried the Europa Universalis 3 demo after remembering enjoying what Quinns wrote about it ages ago....What would be a good example of the genre that's a bit simpler for me to dip my toe in the water?
    Oh yeah, or at least some EU3 101 class (perhaps video tutorial?) because I wanted to play this for a looong time but I just don't know what to do..

I did the tutorial and I think I understood most of it, but when it came to applying it all at the same time it became a bit "Aaaarrrggghhh"
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

I just finished Darksiders. I loved it, especially the combat. This made me finally buy a gamepad and I don't regret it.

Then I tried starting Chronicles of Riddick, but the very weird graphical options are putting me off. In short there's no option to play in 1920x1080 (even by editing the .cfg) and when I put it in 1280x720 it doesn't scale to fullscreen, it stays with 1:1 pixels and big black borders around. (not sure if it's the game or my graphic card that does this, but at least it's not supposed to)
    I'll try searching more for fixes but what a pain...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Apparently there were no heirs. So his four brothers (the first king had about 9 sons) apparently didn't count. So basically, the game decided to give me a king who produced no heirs, and then he died. Which meant instant game over for me, totally outside my control.
    Wat. How can the game not take into account the king's bros? That seems like a bit of an oversight.

"King's dead. No sons."

"I guess we'll have to cancel the country. We had a good run."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Wasn't surprised when I sort of bounced off it. The idea of these games always appeals to me but the complexity (not because I'm scared of complexity, but because it's new complexity) puts me off a little when I've tried them. What would be a good example of the genre that's a bit simpler for me to dip my toe in the water?
    #1 Use MiscMods to iron out some of annoyances of Vanilla.

#2 Play as one of the big, western nations like Castille and England or one of the rich, more peaceful nations like Venice or the Hanse. Then follow your missions, keep taxing and research. If you tech race for navy and "quest for the new world" (allows you to recruit explorers and conquisitadores) you can basically settle the whole of (south) america before anyone else even thinks it exists, getting ridiciously rich on the way.

#3 There's a EU3 wiki. Though it's partly out of date it still found some of the guides very useful.

I wouldn't really recommend Venice. Uniting Italy is very difficult because of a whole clusterfuck of guarantees, alliances and HRE territory ("Release province x or start a war with Bohemia"). Not to mention that you are bordering with Austria, the Tommy DeVito of nations.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Wolfenswan's advice is sound, though I don't know MiscMods and certainly don't think it's necessary for a first playthrough. England, Castille, France, these are all good choices. On normal, with a big country, you've got all the room in the world to make mistakes without it ending the game, so you're free to feel your way through the systems and interface. That's really the only way to learn a Paradox game, frankly, there's no "simple equivalent," and a video walkthrough would take hours. Grab a big country, set some limited goals, and play with it, you'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Wat. How can the game not take into account the king's bros? That seems like a bit of an oversight.

"King's dead. No sons."

"I guess we'll have to cancel the country. We had a good run."
    Seriously. I also had a general who'd married the king's younger sister. I'd have thought a civil war would be the most likely result to be honest. Half a dozen brothers and only one throne? All of them vikings? The sagas practically write themselves.

As for EU3, I'd actually advise against playing a major rich nation to start with. Too much to take in and keep track of at once. It's perhaps better to choose a middling country that can fend for itself but isn't going to attract massive attention or desperately need to expand right away. At least until you get a feel for the fights, diplomacy, economy, etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Still playing through Fable III.

Holy Cheese Biscuits on a Handgrenade, it's bloody brilliant. I wish it was more technically sound, and less of a wobbly port, but hidden beneath the washed out graphics and slightly crap combat is a pretty damned good game.

I hadn't started anything new because I'd thought the UK PC date for Arkham City was the same as the console one. And now I'm sad. :(

Will probably go ahead with my previous plan of having a go at Oddworld.

Activated Node
    SC2 at home and AssCreed at work. I'd played the first one ages ago for a couple of spare hours, but felt they overloaded you with info on how to play and control stuff right at the start and then never re-iterated it, leaving me lost. Time to give it a second go whilst waiting for batmanAC

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citruspunch View Post
    SC2 at home and AssCreed at work.
    Whaaa? Browsing the internet a bit at work I get, but what kind of job do you have where you can actually play something as obvious as Assassin's Creed?

Anyway, been playing the original Dawn of War after getting it and the expansions during the sale. After that I've got DoW2 + Expansions too, (not to mention the CoHs which I've only put 8 or so hours into) so plenty of Relic action for me to chew my way through.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Quote Originally Posted by Citruspunch View Post
    SC2 at home and AssCreed at work.
    Seriously, you hiring? I can sometimes get away with a bit of a turn-based game only because I can alt-tab when someone's about to walk by without dooming myself.

+1 for the "how the hell can you play Assassin's Creed at work?" question.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Finished Broken Sword 3 and never want to see another box again for the rest of my life.

Just started Progress Quest today and I'm loving it. Everything good about MMOs with all the bad & pointless bits taken out.
    "Give all your money to CoD. Give yourself to CoD. Play only CoD. There are no other games. Nothing else matters. Shoot the men. Shoot all the men. Shoot them all the time."

Editor, Control Command Escape

Steam | Raptr