Page 810 of 1139 FirstFirst ... 310710760800808809810811812820860910 ... LastLast
Results 16,181 to 16,200 of 22765
    I've been playing the first 6 hours or so of The Witcher 2 and I'm not sure how I feel about it.
    On one hand the graphics are mostly gorgeus (Though I really dislike the way they do shading, it's too noticeable), the combat is way better than the first game's (But I miss combat styles) and the story is decidedly less silly.
    On the other hand I hate the quicktime events (Specially those in the minigames), the cutsceney bits are poorly integrated (Hate it when an execution move seems to teleport me and the executioned to another section on the map, just to come back to where we were originally), it's way less intuitive on almost every regard, it has poorly made mandatory stealth sections, and the autosave being broken has fucked me over a couple of times. There's something else that puts me off, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
    Last edited by Gorzan; 28-07-2013 at 11:18 AM.

The stealth sections in Witcher 2 are just moronic and completely unnecessary. I had to quicksave my way past nearly every one of them.

I seriously don't know what they were thinking, you need just one minute playing one of them to see that they DON'T WORK.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Sometimes it seems like devs don't even test their games before releasing them out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I gave Ring Runner a 2nd chance but I hate it - it's just a nasty nasty thing indeed.

WTF is it with people who create space games that they think they should write entire operas - pages of dialogue for every conversation - cram in at least 10 new technologies, 12 plot strands and every possible gameplay mechanic and trope they can find?

They could have made a nice ARPG set in space with proper thrust/dampener physics and highly configurable ships - that would have been great - but no, they had to bring in a million concepts which ends-up being a game using half the keyboard for shortcuts and adding 'jinking' and 'flicking' ships and ships which cloak and dodgy physics which means you move slowly until you're hit when you pinball around like an epileptic flea and basically, it's a bag of bits...

Oh and you can't write like Douglas Adams, no-one can but you're particularly far from it so stop trying (and indeed, remember that you were trying at times)

They also use an MS Installer which doesn't let you choose where the game is installed - it goes on your boot drive, like it or lump it - which is bollocks.
    Last edited by trjp; 28-07-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    I've played through far worse. And it's not like they're ever mandatory in The Witcher 2 - there are just bonuses to be had such as extra plot or an item or two. It's not like Beyond Good And Evil which was one shit stealth section after another. Or that mission in Return to Castle Wolfenstein with the Nazi camp.

Still, it is weird that they are in there at all, especially as the engine just isn't well suited to it. I guess they wanted there to be a lore-appropriate way for Geralt to get out of the dungeons without resorting to taking out numerous armed guards with a stick.

Finished Far Cry 3 (gameplay great, story didn't really work as a satire), now on to Driver: San Francisco! And hot damn, it feels great! I like the "it's all in your head" trick, the shift mechanic is cool, driving feels nice, there's a big city to explore, and most of all, the soundtrack is superb.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Still, it is weird that they are in there at all, especially as the engine just isn't well suited to it. I guess they wanted there to be a lore-appropriate way for Geralt to get out of the dungeons without resorting to taking out numerous armed guards with a stick.
    I tried to sneak out of the dungeons, but couldn't once get the right-click knockout to work. Each time I ended up dancing awkwardly with the guard, then pulling out my stick and whacking him. I eventually gave in to fate and bum rushed all the guards, which ultimately proved to be much more fun. My Geralt has a slightly dark side.

Picked up The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief, which is proving to be a charming little game. It defies the odds with decent production quality - a common weakness in the adventure genre - and a story which isn't generic fantasy nonsense.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Played quite a bit of Kerbal Space Program in the last week, and finished a long game of Civilization 5: Brave New World yesterday. I think I'll take a break from both to take a look at what Tomb Raider has to offer.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Feels weird to say this, I finished a game.

Gunpoint wasn't very long, and it didn't really meet its capability for difficulty, yeah... I probably got bored of ghosting(no witnesses, no noise, no violence) but only because the maps didn't really suit it, some maps flat out have "right answers" which involved getting spotted or hurting someone, that's life I guess.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Still playing Don't Starve. Made it to day 23 this time, and was still comfortably well supplied and working my way up the tech tree when a giant tree monster murdered me. Umm, wtf am I supposed to do about that? Ultimately it felt kind of cheap, since I'd set things up so well and supplied myself so well, to seemingly be killed by random giant boss thing.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Still playing Don't Starve.
    When that happened to me I had almost phased my personal forest (meaning the one I planted myself) out of existance, bang-bang-bang all day long, so I assumed it was not random.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    When that happened to me I had almost phased my personal forest (meaning the one I planted myself) out of existance, bang-bang-bang all day long, so I assumed it was not random.
    Huh, it probably wasn't then, because I'd done the same thing. I wonder what the mechanic is, there?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I mostly move in close to trigger it's slow heavy attack, dodge back to avoid it, and then take the three second window till their next attack by jabbing them with the spear a few times. It's a lengthy process though. Far quicker is to use tooth traps or lure them into the middle of a pig village. Pigs are your best friends in this game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Currently playing Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood. I'm terrible at it, as is always the case with Commandos-type games, but at least in this one being spotted doesn't always mean instant death. I like it so far, but I expect it will soon exceed my capacity for stratagems.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Huh, it probably wasn't then, because I'd done the same thing. I wonder what the mechanic is, there?
    Something along the lines of DONT MESS WITH THE OLD ONES, MORTAL, I guess? but I don't have Randolph Carter in my Skype contact list, so I'll just stick with my assumption of a cap. Whether it's daily or not, I haven't found out yet.

There's a wiki at http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com for that moment when you just want a definitive answer, but I keep myself away from it, since the game is so good at giving you just enough more or less subtle hints that you can keep figure out things for yourself, little by little.

In that respect it's leaps and bounds ahead of anything similar I had played so far - whereas other games would just throw me in the thick of the woods and leave me there with little else but my cluelessness and confusion, here there's just a wonderful sense of discovery.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Got the new Tomb Raider in the sale and I'm not really seeing what all the fuss is about in regards to the writing and whatnot. It's pretty hammy and, personally, I think Lara's voice actor is a bit crap.

But the graphics are nice, and the gameplay's mostly good, only being let down slightly by those ruttin' QTE's.

Still playing Don't Starve. Made it to day 23 this time, and was still comfortably well supplied and working my way up the tech tree when a giant tree monster murdered me. Umm, wtf am I supposed to do about that? Ultimately it felt kind of cheap, since I'd set things up so well and supplied myself so well, to seemingly be killed by random giant boss thing.
    Use those pine cones in your inventory to appease him.

--------------

Finished Tomb Raider 2013. I like it and the platforming is easy so I can relax while playing it. Also the QTE doesn't bother me unlike RE6 which I dont know if I will ever play again.

Im thinking if I should start a fallout marathon (from FO1 to FO:NV) Its been so long since I played 1 and 2 and I haven't played FO3 yet. Is the mod FixIt enough for FO1?
    Last edited by mnemnoch; 28-07-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Quote Originally Posted by mnemnoch View Post
    Use those pine cones in your inventory to appease him.

--------------
    Wait, wait, are you saying that planting trees stops him?

Wait, wait, are you saying that planting trees stops him?
    Aye. When he start advancing on you just plant those pine cones and he will be neutral to you.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem