Page 812 of 1133 FirstFirst ... 312712762802810811812813814822862912 ... LastLast
Results 16,221 to 16,240 of 22650
    Playing Crusader Kings 2, as always, and discovered that depressed characters have the option of committing suicide (it's in the intrigue menu). I love the fact that I'm still learning new things after playing for several hundred hours. I also love that the patches and DLCs are almost consistently awesome. I love CK2. I want to have kids with it, but they'd probably kill me for the inheritance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    Early weapons vs animals is particulary amusing as I counted 18 headshots to kill a tiger.
    As soon as I could I adopted a Grenade Launcher Method for dealing with anything like bears or big cats. Didn't have anymore problems after that, it was like they knew.

I'm playing Poaching Simulator 2012 as well and I'm mostly done, too. I think the best way to get rid of pesky wildlife is just using the shredder. I can't remember any other game that gives you what appears to be the best gun in the game so early. Only the bushman comes close to that thing.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    Farcry 3 completed.

A mostly enjoyable experience somewhat letdown by how gamey it feels throughout. The radio tower system seems awful with you not even being able to see the outlines of the island before unlocking let alone basic roads, then once you unlock them your map is filled with junk. Early weapons vs animals is particulary amusing as I counted 18 headshots to kill a tiger.

Buut, the gunplay is fun, the driving is quite engaging in first person and the stealth mechanics were a surprise treat (barring a couple of annoying compulsory sections in missions). Some missions did fall apart, particulary where you just have to murder everyone but overall the story and game made me happy and the ending song is great.
    The devs listened to critics of the truly openworld Far Cry 2 and ended up with a hodgepoge of badly implemented features from other games. I can't believe it was so well reviewed. It's a mess.
    Respectable people... What bastards! - Emile Zola

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    After starting on Thursday I finished Dead Space 2 this evening. It's not the best game ever but it's well put together and I encountered no bugs nor crashes, so that's something. I used what I learned from Dead Space and played the entire thing using nothing more than the plasma cutter and line gun, so part of me wants to do a new game + to get the other weapons and have a play with them, but the other part wants to move on to another game while I'm on a 'hey I can complete games after all!' roll.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Almost finished Shadowrun Returns (I assume, it feels like an endgame and things went to combat-heavy shit).

Yeah, the game has flaws. The lack of quicksaves is pretty annoying, but nothing gamebreaking (the checkpoints are quite frequent). The combat is crap, but people accepted it in (new) XCOM so that is how things are going to be for the foreseeable future.

The linearity isn't great, but I really don't see that as a problem since the game wasn't trying to be open world. And the "gentle pushing" to make the character a Good (lawful, chaotic, or whatever) one isn't great, but, again, isn't a gamebreaker.

Also, being a Decker was nigh useless. Glad I doubled up as a Rigger too.

But I absolutely love the narrative style. I get a real noir-esque detective feel, and it does a great job of getting the cyberpunk universe down.

I'll probably give it another run as a mage in a few weeks.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Also, being a Decker was nigh useless. Glad I doubled up as a Rigger too.

But I absolutely love the narrative style. I get a real noir-esque detective feel, and it does a great job of getting the cyberpunk universe down.

I'll probably give it another run as a mage in a few weeks.
    These three points pretty much sum up my experience exactly. The plus side of decker skills not being too important is that I was able to put a shitload into pistols and my decker was effective in combat throughout the game once I did so. You don't see pistols retaining combat viability late game too often these days, and I sure appreciated it.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Banned
    I find the fact that people consider linearity or plain uselessness of some classes in a role-playing game no big deal terrifying.

In local news, I tried the Assault on Dragon Keep, the BL2 DLC, yesterday. Just replaying the first twently minutes of the game almost gave me aneurysm, so imagine my surprise when after finally gaining access to the fast travel station and jumping into the DLC I was waylaid by level 30 Skeletons.

Welp, no DLCs for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I find the fact that people consider linearity or plain uselessness of some classes in a role-playing game no big deal terrifying.
    You have to remember that most people who play RPGs these days don't actually like RPGs, it's just the best thing they've got until Visual Novels stop being primarily about sleeping with 14 year old Japanese girls.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Oh please.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    You have to remember that most people who play RPGs these days don't actually like RPGs, it's just the best thing they've got until Visual Novels stop being primarily about sleeping with 14 year old Japanese girls.
    Or its that we grew up with imperfect GMs who tended to follow modules too closely, so it was always a good idea to say "So... if I roll a Bard, will I be able to take advantage of that, or is this a purely combat adventure?"

Not good enough?

Planescape Torment, my favorite RPG of all time. Playing as anything other than a Mage was pretty stupid since the combat was weak and you would miss out on the vast majority of the dialogue options.
    The Fallouts: There were some really fun dialogue choices for abysmally low social-stats characters, and they were nice every so often. But they also tended to make the rest of the game a bit of a slog.

Still not good enough? You need something in an antagonizing and self-aggrandizing tone? 'kay, if you insist:
    Some of us actually are okay with not having the entire world revolve around them. As cool as deckers are (and there were some really fun opportunities for it), the story was about hunting down a killer and murderating a lot of people along the way, and most of the game was spent in rundown buildings that might not have super elaborate security systems to hack.

As for the linearity: Wow, you guys would REALLY have hated basically every NWN module that wasn't from Bioware. The AL series, which blew Bioware's core game out of the water and is probably the best thing made with the NWN toolset, was of comparable linearity to Shadowrun and was definitely balanced for a tanky sword-wielding character (the last part for story purposes).

But I guess it was all really about banging little girls and not telling a great story, or whatever you were saying during your hate-on for a game that wasn't exactly what you wanted.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Planescape Torment, my favorite RPG of all time. Playing as anything other than a Mage was pretty stupid since the combat was weak and you would miss out on the vast majority of the dialogue options.
    This is exactly my point. Your favourite RPG of all time isn't a particularly good RPG: you don't need to worry about your combat skills because the combat is dull, you don't need to worry about your non-combat skills because besides the occasional possibility to use a couple of thief skills there aren't any non-combat skills, and there's one character build that is just more fun. The game doesn't need an RPG system at all. Its main strength is that it's one of the most elaborate choose-your-own-adventure games ever made, and it has a good story and good characters (and possibly good dialogue, depending on your taste). But having a good story and being an elaborate choose-your-own-adventure game is orthogonal to being a good RPG. For whatever reason, however, those two qualities are things that tend to be tied to the RPG genre, and so people who like them have little choice but to play cRPGs even if they're not so interested in playing an RPG. The other choices for choose-your-own-adventure games these days seem to be artsy non-games and creepy sex games. Boring yourself through an RPG system you don't really appreciate is a much better option than playing either of those.

I think these days we are seeing a move towards separating choose-your-own-adventure mechanics from RPG mechanics, which is a good thing and will hopefully mean that a lot of people don't have to bore themselves to death in order to get their dialogue tree fun.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    "RPG mechanics" is an oxymoron. The problem here is not that people don't like RPG:s, it's that the term "RPG" means so many things and nothing at the same time so people are just not in agreement about what it is.

Some people want to roleplay. Whether your "RPG mechanics" are good or not in a particular game becomes less important.

Some people want to build a "character" in a more mechanical sense, are more interested in the numbers. Roleplaying becomes less important.

These two things exist in most games we call RPG:s (and in a lot of games we don't), but to varying degrees. A lot of different tastes exist where some particular proportion is preferred. There is no true RPG formula since the term doesn't describe an actual singular thing.

The term's history was muddy from the beginning, through the various wargaming and pen 'n paper stages that eventually spawned computer based variations. There was never a platonic rpg, and the computer adaptations are always going to be rationalizations of some sort of their analogue precursors.

Get. Over. It.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Linearity in RPG's is a crime unless it is being used to define the term RPG, I think I understand now

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    Some people want to roleplay.
    The distinction is seemingly between people who think that "roleplay" means "choose one from a small number of pre-written dialogue choices determined by the designers and have the world react according to a single pre-written dialogue choice determined by the designers" and those who think it means "choose an action from a large set of plausible actions and have the world respond based on the world's current state and the skill of the character at that particular action".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Some people want to play as a character in a world bigger than themselves, whereas others want the world to respond entirely to their every action like what happens in real life obviously

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Some people want to play as a character in a world bigger than themselves, whereas others want the world to respond entirely to their every action like what happens in real life obviously
    More games of the second type would be good. Not really anything to do with RPGs, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Bit of a case of whatisanRPG-itis here. Nasty little virus, spreads easily from thread to thread infecting posters. Would it be possible to quarantine it in another thread? At least post about games you're playing at the moment at the same time as coughing the virus over everyone here.

I took a break from Rogue Legacy. My skills seem to have improved over the break. Had a nice 3000+ gold run, and I've finally unlocked all the class upgrades. Runes and armour are coming a little more frequently, too. Starting to run about the forest a with more confidence.

A giant Hokage is heaps of fun. Speeding round like a maniac cutting up everything. I recommend that one if it pops up.

I just finished Far Cry 3. According to the statistics page, I killed 1541 people by the end of the game. If we assume an average height of 1.75m it would mean a human length of 2696.75m has been liquidated. This is also the driving distance between Lake Cowichan in British Columbia and Kincardine in Ontario. Think about that for a while.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Banned
    Beat FTL on normal for the first time with the federation cruiser. That artillery beam is nuts! I beat the mother ship armed with an ion bomb, ion burst (the 3 energy 4 sec reload one) and the starting burst laser 2. Teleporter, defense drone 1, 45% dodge and max shields, max artillery. I managed to send my rock and mantis over at stage 1 and blew up a missile but otherwise I was too busy repairing my teleporter and nuking the ship with my arsenal. The ion bomb is ridiculously powerful. 1 energy for 4 ion damage that can't be shielded? Insane. I just focus fired on the shield. 2nd stage I focused on the drone control and then back to the shields. Got hit by a breaching drone but forced the ship to flee before it could do any meaningful amount of damage. Repaired then fought lv3. Meh focus fire on shields. The suprrmove only hurt me a little what with the insane dodge and shields I had. Also confused as to why they only sent two crappy humans into my ship at the beginning. I slaughtered them quick.