Page 818 of 1185 FirstFirst ... 318718768808816817818819820828868918 ... LastLast
Results 16,341 to 16,360 of 23695
    Played two more missions in Hitman:absolution and reached a part where 47 needed to collect 4 fuses to make an elevator work again (it's the second time they used the "An elevator never reach it's destination" trope). I collected all 4 but than I ran into a guard, all hell broke loose and 47 died in the firefight... And now I have to collect 3 of those fuses again, which means at least 30 minutes of my free time went down the drain.

I don't think I want to play this game for a while.

Finished Samorost 2 after about 84 minutes, according to Steam. I didn't like the precise timing involved in a certain puzzle which made you repeat several steps in case of failure, but it's well worth finishing. The old lazy reviewer's line "if you liked Samorost 1 [which is free], you'll like this" is true here - the games are very similar, and both are more about interacting with the environment for the fun of it than head-scratching.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    Finished Samorost 2 after about 84 minutes, according to Steam. I didn't like the precise timing involved in a certain puzzle which made you repeat several steps in case of failure, but it's well worth finishing. The old lazy reviewer's line "if you liked Samorost 1 [which is free], you'll like this" is true here - the games are very similar, and both are more about interacting with the environment for the fun of it than head-scratching.
    Botanicula was similar with the puzzles, mostly requiring you to just explore and interact with the environment rather than do insane puzzle solving. And I loved it for that, Botanicula is just lovely.

Yes, Botanicula is lovely. I really like the way the environments in the Samorosts are made with bits of lichen and such, though. I would say Botanicula is a lot more polished, but the Samorosts are great as well.

One of these days, I'll go back and finish Machinarium (browser Flash settings ate my save game, and I went off in a huff).

Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    You must be a better person than me, Samorost 2 really taxed my patience. Granted, I might have walked in with the wrong mindset (let's look for a short game to scratch off the backlog), but there was something in the puzzles' design that rubbed me the wrong way.

BTW, MacGuffin, when my progress meter hit about 70% and change (which is basically when the first part of the game is done and the second leading into finale begins), I ran into what looked like a sudden step up in the fiddliness of the puzzles. I'm OK with a fair amount of let's move this around that so we can move that back and then this too, and then both this and that back and forth in that other place another two or three times so that maybe this darn battery can meet the godforsaken socket, so I guess it just exceeded my tolerance. It bugs me that I'm only a few hours away from seeing the end (and most importantly, marking one more notch in my completed belt) but it feels like I might not go back to it at all.

In other news, I played Dear Esther. That really blew me away. A disquieting experience that kept me looking around myself constantly, my eyes inquiring while an inner dialogue went on: thoughts about what I was staring at, mainly, but inevitably also questions, conjectures, and possible answers. Like some of the best ghost/horror/eerie stories, there was little to be seen or definite replies.

It's an incredibly polished game with an altogether terrific design that really impressed me. While the dialog feels a bit forced, the actual game is really well put together, my theory being that's a necessary consequence of taking away most interaction (a choice that is integral to the theme of the game), whatever was left, needed to be as close to perfection as possible.

It said to me "come back" more than once, and I intend to, sooner or later. I want to be put in that inquiring state of mind again, just like you watch those tantalizing movies over and over again, half-fascinated, half focused on unraveling it and its inner meaning (that might, or might not be there - that's not the point: similarly to The Walking Dead, Dear Esther's a game whose entire worth is about how it makes you feel playing it)

In fact, while I generally find Alec's WIT to be more in tune with my view than John's, I still didn't feel the tedium: every minute spent in the game was emotionally intense somehow.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Obscure Node
    MOW: Assault Squad's GSM mod, this is more suiting to my taste. I'm vastly enjoying it so far.

Banned
    After I tried to replay BG saga using BG Trilogy I guess I owe BG:EE some apologies.

Concenience aside(you can skip the 11CD install, two patches, BG1 fixpack, BG2 fixpack, BGT itself, BGT GUI, BGT music) three things are selling me on EE right now:
    - BGT has a widescreen mod, but it doesn't really work. Or rather, it works too well - makes the game fit your screen, as described... and you better have damn good glasses to play BG on a modern res. Theoretically you should just be able to type i.e. half of your native res in the widescreen mod and go with that, in practice anything but native res resulted in unplayable distortions. Seems like BG:EE went around it by simply upsizing all the sprites.
    - BGT is using the BG2 engine, which comes with its own "dead tree" UI style. This might fit BG2, but it doesn't really fit BG. There is a mod for BGTuTu that restores the BG UI, and it does work with Trilogy as well(it's all WeiDU) but it only goes up to 1024x768. BG:EE's UI is not the original BG UI, but at least it's blue stone which it's close enough.
    - BG2 tweak pack works(well, almost) with EE

Also Familiars be broken as fuck yo. Cast a single spell - and you have 12 extra HP and a companion(who doesn't siphon XP!) with three 1d4 attacks per round and AC/ThAC0 better than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Cast a single spell - and you have 12 extra HP and a companion(who doesn't siphon XP!) with three 1d4 attacks per round and AC/ThAC0 better than yours.
    this sentence captures what I hate about cRPGs with the DnD ruleset so much.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Banned
    To be fair to BG, it was never designed/balanced with BG2 abilities/spells/kits in mind. So if you just port everything from one to the other, obviously you'll end up with some OP stuff.

Remember that as far as 2ED is concerned, anything over level 10 is basically legendary stuff, and anything over level 20-30 is epic demigod territory.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I find that when I play BG1 I prefer to restrict myself from the stuff that doesn't work properly at level 1. And similarly if I want to play BG1 -> BG2 I restrict myself from really gamey dual-classes (like dual classing at level 2 to pick up some free abilities for insignificant cost).
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Banned
    Berserker/Cleric FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Samorost 2 really taxed my patience. Granted, I might have walked in with the wrong mindset (let's look for a short game to scratch off the backlog), but there was something in the puzzles' design that rubbed me the wrong way.
    Several of the puzzles had elements of timing, which I didn't like much, because there was no easy way to tell the difference between "that's not what you're meant to do" and "you're doing it wrong", other than running out of other things to try. I don't know if this is what bothered you, or something else.

MacGuffin
    I got to the end eventually, I think driven by wanting to see how the story played out, but yeah, I remember the puzzles getting fiddly. I think some of the ones near the end had interesting additional challenges, but your mileage may vary.

Dear Esther
    Thanks for that - I picked it up in the Steam sale because I thought I should give it a go. I'm trying to play through my installed games at the moment, or at least give them a good poking, before installing others, but I'll move it toward the top of the pile.

I finished Call of Juarez: Gunslinger which was a very entertaining shooter. The game has a very interesting way of telling its story, which I'm surprised I haven't seen in a game before. Quite a few moments made me laugh.

The shooting is solid enough. I appreciate FPS games where the basic pistol still feels powerful after the first hour or so. The max payne-esque bullet time thing is cool and so is the 'cheat death' mechanic.

I started the new Tomb Raider as well. Enjoyable so far. The QTE's are annoying, but manageable. The controls feel very smooth though, and the animations are very good. I quite like the newly designed Lara, she looks and feels a bit more 'real' than her previous incarnations.

I'm interested to see how 'open' the game is, after the first few sections. I'm hoping for something a bit like Prince of Persia '08, where you can pick where you want to go.

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission. I completed the campaign in around 40 hours and it has just horrendous pacing (among other problems), is more than twice as long as it should be (15h would have been plenty for a tutorial + dry run + some story bits), and is very punishing and limited and needlessly repetitious. The strategy mode feels incredibly freeing after that. There are elements I love (it recalls the 90's vehicle action/sim/strategy games I grew up with), but it's a shame that CCGM is weak in so many areas and console-ized and limited in scope. I'm quite tired of waiting through the mundane island capturing sequence you have to repeat so often, and unfortunately it always pauses when losing window focus, but not if you open the Steam overlay to browse (oops: I just discovered there's a "-alwaysupdate" command-line option that prevents the pausing! Lousy default/UI/documentation there). CCGM is worth the $8 Steam sale pickup, but I wish it had been worth a full-priced purchase, as it's a sadly abandoned genre. I hope there's more fun to be had in the strategy mode and some replay value in revisiting it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Fallout New Vegas Project Brazil. Think of Fallout 3's starting vault if it were made by Obsidian instead. It's a fleshed out intro which trades the rather unurgent mystery of a father's disappearance with something rather more exciting. I picked a nerd character and didn't have too much trouble outside of the dream sequence, and I hope things are balanced for them in the wasteland proper.

All I can seem to think about is 'it took the modders this long for a few hours of gameplay?' I'm not convinced the mod will ever be finished, interesting as it is.

Temple of Elemental Evil's savegames corrupted after around 20 hours of gameplay. Fun times.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Also Familiars be broken as fuck yo. Cast a single spell - and you have 12 extra HP and a companion(who doesn't siphon XP!) with three 1d4 attacks per round and AC/ThAC0 better than yours.
    the guy stops being useful for combat at around level 3/4. basically at the time when your mage is finally capable of handling more than one monster.

Im hardly an expert and certainly there are ways to fully utilize Familiar as a combatant but i put that guy in backpack in Nashkel mines because he almost got killed in few seconds. Hadn't taken him out since then.
    Playing BGT and im in BG2 in Underdark.

how do you find him broken?

also im playing 1680 on 1080p monitor and it works perfectly. I can read everything without issues. so whats your problem with widescreen?

also 11CDS? just get gog version.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    the guy stops being useful for combat at around level 3/4. basically at the time when your mage is finally capable of handling more than one monster.
    As far as I'm concerned, familiars go in the bag the second they're summoned. I'm a terrible master.

I wiped out the Dutch from the face of the Earth, I crushed the mighty Egyptian empire and took all their cities but one, I expelled the Russians from my lands and enslaved their colonies. Then I turned Milan into a puppet state and apparently that's where I crossed the line. Ungrateful imbeciles, be glad the sons of Sumer gaze upon the stars instead of your pitiful mud villages. Babylon then took off to the heavens and this time there was no tower.

Utnapishtim said, "There is no permanence. Do we build a house to stand forever, do we seal a contract to hold for all time? Do brothers divide an inheritance to keep forever, does the flood-time of rivers endure? It is only the nymph of the dragon-fly who sheds her larva and sees the sun in his glory. From the days of old there is no permanence. The sleeping and the dead, how alike they are, they are like a painted death. What is there between the master and the servant when both have fulfilled their doom? When the Anunnaki, the judges, come together, and Mammetun the mother of destinies, together they decree the fates of men. Life and death they allot but the day of death they do not disclose.

New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Choca View Post
    Temple of Elemental Evil's savegames corrupted after around 20 hours of gameplay. Fun times.
    You used quicksave.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR