Page 819 of 1235 FirstFirst ... 319719769809817818819820821829869919 ... LastLast
Results 16,361 to 16,380 of 24687
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    You used quicksave.
    Yes, yes I did.

I knew it was going to get me into trouble and it totally did (again).

Well, that gives me an excuse to try a new set up for my party.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Because he is testing his might. HIS GAMING POSSIBILITIES!! trptrprpt

Left 4 Dead, the first one. Prefer it to the second one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Why bother playing ironman then?
    I want some sense of closure, completing Classic Ironman didn't cut it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    After I tried to replay BG saga using BG Trilogy I guess I owe BG:EE some apologies...
    There are definitely problems with BG1 in BG2 engine. For example if you don't turn off getting XP from scrolls, locks and traps then BG1 becomes silly very quickly. Spells like familiar also are problematic as you found out. There should be a pretty bad penalty for the familiar dying though, -1 CON permanently was what I thought it was (spell description). Why I never used the things.

The resolution really shouldn't be an issue though, unless you're trying to play at 1920 or higher. I found 1600x900 to be fine when using the mod that ensures the text gets bigger too.

I have a confession to make: I bought and subsequently played Pickers. The fact that re-runs of Pawn Stars have replaced the news for me (these days that just make me foam at the mouth, which is fairly inconvenient when I'm having dinner) might have played a role, but most importantly I like the way those well drawn hidden object games look, and Pickers is no let down in that department. Not sure how much longevity it has in it, but I'm satisfied with my purchase even though, unsurprisingly, I'm almost at the bottom of the pickers leaderboard (and those are AIs).
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by moustachie View Post

Why do you prefer first one ?

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Why do you prefer first one ?
    Less clutter, probably.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    Less clutter, probably.
    I think the visual design in L4D lacking, mercy sewers as an example are awful. 2 provided much better visual prompts, but honestly, its just an expansion pack.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I have a confession to make: I bought and subsequently played Pickers. The fact that re-runs of Pawn Stars have replaced the news for me (these days that just make me foam at the mouth, which is fairly inconvenient when I'm having dinner) might have played a role, but most importantly I like the way those well drawn hidden object games look, and Pickers is no let down in that department. Not sure how much longevity it has in it, but I'm satisfied with my purchase even though, unsurprisingly, I'm almost at the bottom of the pickers leaderboard (and those are AIs).
    I was looking at those achievement notifications in my activity feed and thought "That looks like a hidden object game... Nah, can't possibly be."

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I think the visual design in L4D lacking, mercy sewers as an example are awful. 2 provided much better visual prompts, but honestly, its just an expansion pack.
    I didn't mean visual clutter, I meant the extra content, especially the new zombies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    The level design in 2 is awful, though. I remember running laps on that damn swamp level trying to figure out where the hell I was supposed to be going. Also, weaker characters. Also, it's an even more hostile design towards groups of less than 4.

Obscure Node
    I'd been playing and enjoying the new Xcom quite a bit (normal ironman) and then realized I'd probably enjoy a roguelike. I grabbed Tales of Maj'eyal and have played that instead ever since.

I like the new xcom, but moving your troops around the map looking for aliens can get pretty painful sometimes. It's often very mechanical, with no really tough or interesting decisions to make as to how to position your troops (and hitting overwatch 20394309 times). It's almost a game to see how long you can do it before your patience runs out and you get a little careless. I can't really fault firaxis though as I can't think of any real way to fix that issue. I remember the same thing in JA2.

(Also Persona 4 Golden)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by moustachie View Post
    The maps are just so much better. Except that one map with the thunder storm in L4D2, that map is amazing.

Also, Bill. :(
    Last edited by khaz; 06-08-2013 at 05:19 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    There are definitely problems with BG1 in BG2 engine. For example if you don't turn off getting XP from scrolls, locks and traps then BG1 becomes silly very quickly.
    BG1 uses separate XP values for opening locks and disarming traps - no "5000xp for opening a chest" sillyness from BG2. Neither in Trilogy, nor in EE(EE seems to have disabled XP for learning spells as well).

Spells like familiar also are problematic as you found out. There should be a pretty bad penalty for the familiar dying though, -1 CON permanently was what I thought it was (spell description). Why I never used the things.
    It's one of those "but there's a catch that nobody told you about" things that BG saga is full of - you can simply talk to your familiar and put him in your backpack, where it's completely safe and essentially becomes a buff item in your inventory. You never have to take it back out, ever again.

@Lukasz: Level 3-4 is basically halfway through BG, depending on party size and/or multiclassing, so it's nothing to sneeze at. The familiar is worth it for the extra HP alone(a level 1 mage with 16CON that summons a familiar will have over twice as much HP as a level 1 Fighter with 18CON), plus they have other utilities(the cat for example has 99% hide in shadow/silent movement, I believe the ferret can pickpocket, etc.). Not as broken as, say, the Shapeshifter kit which lets you turn into a Werewolf at level 1 and be essentially invincible, but definitely up there.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    The maps are just so much better. Except that one map with the thunder storm in L4D2, that map is amazing.

Also, Bill. :(

But L4D2 have maps from first game,characters to play from first game plus many more.

In order to get the card drops, I fired up Half Life 2 last night and ended up playing way more than I "needed to". Since I made so much progress, I will probably finish the game before returning to GTA San Andreas.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    But L4D2 have maps from first game,characters to play from first game plus many more.
    But it also has the new infected, the OP guns(AK, Magnum), the character animation issues(because they used L4D2 animations for L4D1 models which doesn't work perfectly), character sound issues(a lot of character voices/callouts are missing, this is a case with entire L4D2) and it's smoother/prettier. Which is a bad thing for a game about zombie apocalypse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vg fan View Post
    I'd been playing and enjoying the new Xcom quite a bit (normal ironman) and then realized I'd probably enjoy a roguelike. I grabbed Tales of Maj'eyal and have played that instead ever since.

I like the new xcom, but moving your troops around the map looking for aliens can get pretty painful sometimes. It's often very mechanical, with no really tough or interesting decisions to make as to how to position your troops (and hitting overwatch 20394309 times). It's almost a game to see how long you can do it before your patience runs out and you get a little careless. I can't really fault firaxis though as I can't think of any real way to fix that issue. I remember the same thing in JA2.

(Also Persona 4 Golden)
    I found Xcom to be very overrated. Playing on Classic Ironman if you understand the mechanics and play to the odds it's fairly straight forward but also boring. If you play more in a fashion which feels more dramatic and a bit less considered then you get blown to shit. The hardest part is levelling up your marines to the stage where the AI buffs no longer ignore cover to an extent greater than your ability to absorb that damage, then you're on you way.

I mean it makes sense that if there's only 6 of you against 4 x your number that stick together and take things incredibly slowly and carefully but it also just makes things a boring steam roll. If you scout properly you will never have to face more than maybe twice your number due to the way the reveal mechanic works. It never really feels like you against the odds unless you advance piecemeal or spread out, in which case you die in short order. As a result I rarely got any drama or stories to tell, because it was either play the maths game and be largely fine, so no drama there, or play the hollywood approach and everyone gets wiped out.

There's just not much tension for that reason the times I've played. Its either slow, steady, safe and end turn more than you would in a game of CIV til you're done, or everything goes bad and everyone dies .

The most exciting games are the ones at the start, before you've advanced up to ignore the AI buffs, as those tend to be close no matter what you do. But they can also be infuriating too because the AI ignores cover at that point, so you can play the perfect defensive counter attack and still die because stats and fuck you. Basically it's fun at that point cos it's random, but it's also incredibly annoying for the same reason at times.

DRAGON COMMANDER.

Yes, it is a lot of fun. Although the religious fundamentalists and the capitalists are not happy with how I run things. Oh well, just like real world.