Page 83 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485931331835831083 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 23789
  1. #1641
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,015
    I actually forgot how hard New Vegas was. I was wandering around, just exploring, when I stumbled on some Deathclaws that ripped my ass off. And somewhere else some ghouls that radiated my ass off. So now I'm just sticking to the road until I get tougher.

  2. #1642
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,101
    Those deathclaws near the beginning were very good at killing me, so I thought, I'll come back in a few hours and blow these fellows' bodies apart. A few hours later, I returned with heavy weapons, only to be killed again repeatedly.

  3. #1643
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    I play it on Easy (Or was it Very Easy?) and I find it hard at times. It's quite good in that regard, but sometimes it still seems *too* hard.


  4. #1644
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,677
    What an odd complaint. New Vegas is not scaled like Oblivion (something everyone constantly complained about). The result is that it's completely possible to run into things that are well above your level. The appropriate response under these circumstances is to run like hell. Why would you want a post-apocalyptic wasteland where you could casually blow away anything you came upon?

  5. #1645
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,101
    It's definitely possible to get into very sticky situations, from which you can't easily escape. Like:

    SEMI-SPOILER:


    The sacrificial chamber in Vault 11 (the room with the chair and the movie projector). The game (and I) saved in such a way that I basically had no choice but to defeat those evil-natured robots. Sadly, I had no anti-robot weapons and only a few grenades. It took way too many tries and way too many stimpacks.

  6. #1646
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,677
    Didn't read your spoiler (haven't played Vault 11) but, again, that's the nature of an open world game. You can either level scale everything, so it's impossible to get in over your head (and I thought we'd all agreed that that really sucked) or you can accept that sometimes you're going to get in over your head and have to reload. A post-apocalyptic wasteland that doesn't occasionally kill me isn't much of an post-apocalyptic wasteland, if you ask me.

  7. #1647
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,101
    Just to be clear - I'm not complaining. I have no problems with the open world structure. I just thought it was an interesting example.

    Also, go find Vault 11, it's fun. (Make a new save)

  8. #1648
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Just to be clear - I'm not complaining. I have no problems with the open world structure. I just thought it was an interesting example.

    Also, go find Vault 11, it's fun. (Make a new save)
    I'm waiting for the Project Nevada DLC patches to work in Lonesome Road, at which point I'm going to start a new New Vegas game. My last playthrough got stopped cold at the titular city due to instability, either in the DLC, the base game, Project Nevada, or some interaction between them. I need to go play the original FO3 with the final version of Wanderer's Edition and associated suite, too. Damn I love these games.

    I suppose I should put something on topic in here, the title isn't "games I'd like to be playing at the moment" after all. :)

    I'm still playing Europa Universalis 3 as Portugal and still getting consistently rebuffed in my military advances on Morrocco in the early 1400's. I've put Hegemony Gold aside on the grounds that it's good enough I'd like to play it exclusively for a good long while (probably when I'm done with EU3). I've been playing a bit of Chessmaster, both to remind myself how to play the game and to play online with my dad and friends. Oh, and I impulsively picked up Aces of the Galaxy the other day, because sometimes you just want to fly around and blow shit up.
    Last edited by vinraith; 21-10-2011 at 04:58 PM.

  9. #1649
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    75
    Just started playing GTAIV and the original SupCom. I've already beaten GTAIV again (on 360) but I just bought it for PC. So far I'm enjoying it more than I did on consoles but not by much. I've never played the previous games but I own them all now. If I were to start playing one of them (3, Vice City, or San Andreas) which one should I play? Does it make any sort of real difference?

  10. #1650
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by CrinnyCow View Post
    Just started playing GTAIV and the original SupCom. I've already beaten GTAIV again (on 360) but I just bought it for PC. So far I'm enjoying it more than I did on consoles but not by much. I've never played the previous games but I own them all now. If I were to start playing one of them (3, Vice City, or San Andreas) which one should I play? Does it make any sort of real difference?
    GTA 1. It's free.

  11. #1651
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,239
    GTA 3 has a silent protagonist. If you're not down with that in this day and age, that leaves Vice City and San Andreas. Vice City is a full game dedicated to the worship of Scarface and has the 80s vibe, San Andreas is set ten or so years later and makes you take the role of another character like Nico who we're told is a good guy but is actually a murdering psychopath.

    If I were you I'd go with Vice City, but I can't promise you'll enjoy it.

  12. #1652
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,101
    Most people think Vice City is the tightest in terms of realizing their vision. I really liked it when it came out. San Andreas is absolutely huge, with all the good and bad that entails. III really doesn't offer a lot that you can't find in its sequels, in my opinion. I really wouldn't play it, except for historical value now. But, man, when it came out, I was really blown away.

  13. #1653
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    I would say start with 3 and work your way through in order (i.e. 3, VC, SA).


  14. #1654
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    GTA 1. It's free.
    Do you not find 2 beats 1?

    Personally the 2D GTA's or GTA 4 are the only ones worth playing. Vice City is a good story but some missions are stupid road blocks, San Andreas has some truly hateful things about it and the humour started to go south.

    GTA 3 has just aged badly.

    GTA 4 does suffer from Mario Kart style catch up on some chases it redeems itself with text message mission retry, and taxicab fast travel as well as just being beautiful .

    Yes you need gods own pc turned up to 11 to play it with everything turned on but that's pc gaming for you.

  15. #1655
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Yes you need gods own pc turned up to 11 to play it with everything turned on but that's pc gaming for you.
    Uh, no, that's piss-poor porting for you.


  16. #1656
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Do you not find 2 beats 1?
    Yes. The second game definitely does beat the first.

  17. #1657
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    75
    Thanks for the suggestions guys... I'll try Vice City and San Andreas but if I really want more I'll check out III. Somewhere along the lines I'll probably install 2 just to see what it's like.

  18. #1658
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Most people think Vice City is the tightest in terms of realizing their vision. I really liked it when it came out. San Andreas is absolutely huge, with all the good and bad that entails. III really doesn't offer a lot that you can't find in its sequels, in my opinion. I really wouldn't play it, except for historical value now. But, man, when it came out, I was really blown away.
    Got to agree here. Vice City is the one I enjoyed most, it had the balance right (although as has been said, has some of the most infuriatingly bastard hard roadblock missions). The one advantage that GTA 3 had over Vice City was that its level design was much more interesting, with tunnels and varying levels and the island that's mostly set on a hillside.

    San Andreas was detailed and ambitious, but has a hateful main character (and not in a likeable way - you play a total dick in Vice City, but he's entertaining enough. CJ, however, is just an idiot) and grating plot, and worse, after the first 'act' it resets your progress, rendering the gang wars pointless, when up until that point they'd been one of the most fun parts for me.

    However, you might want to start with GTA 3 at least for a few hours, just to get a feel for the progression of the series. To appreciate it more, like.
    Last edited by sinister agent; 21-10-2011 at 06:42 PM.

  19. #1659
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Got to agree here. Vice City is the one I enjoyed most, it had the balance right (although as has been said, has some of the most infuriatingly bastard hard roadblock missions). The one advantage that GTA 3 had over Vice City was that its level design was much more interesting, with tunnels and varying levels and the island that's mostly set on a hillside.

    San Andreas was detailed and ambitious, but has a hateful main character (and not in a likeable way - you play a total dick in Vice City, but he's entertaining enough. CJ, however, is just an idiot) and grating plot, and worse, after the first 'act' it resets your progress, rendering the gang wars pointless, when up until that point they'd been one of the most fun parts for me.

    However, you might want to start with GTA 3 at least for a few hours, just to get a feel for the progression of the series. To appreciate it more, like.
    Of the GTA 3s, VC was also my favorite. It was, by far, the most inspired: 80s jet-setting New Wave silliness that didn't attempt to do anything more than rip the motifs of Scarface and MTV's Liquid Television, but didn't bog itself down with racial undertones like New Jack City in SA.

    That said, I respect the top-down GTAs more than the third-person GTAs, and while GTA2 is definitely more playable nowadays than GTA1 - and is certainly a more streamlined version of the GTA "vision," so to speak - I still have to vote for GTA1 as the more inspired and thus funnier.
    Last edited by Nalano; 21-10-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  20. #1660
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    after the first 'act' it resets your progress, rendering the gang wars pointless
    I forgot about that. After all that grinding, RESET. It was infuriating.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •