Page 830 of 1166 FirstFirst ... 330730780820828829830831832840880930 ... LastLast
Results 16,581 to 16,600 of 23315
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    I sided with Iorveth pretty much without hesitation. The society makes it clear that witchers are no longer humans, and when given the choice between oafish, inbred, piggish racists, and the person who's happy to put their worthless village to the torch, hand me the torch. I never much saw Geralt as 'neutral', because so much of his dialogue indicates that he isn't. Depending on how you play him in the prologue, he can repeatedly step in against heavy-handed soldiers trying to have a little fun and tell them to go cry about it if they don't like it. He comes across as increasingly tired of bullshit and cynical, but neutral isn't the word I'd use.

Of course, you can play him like that, but I'm glad of the flexibility.
    It's a classic decision between a repressive status quo or a violent revolution. One of the better things about the Witcher is that you don't play long enough to see the full results of either, because both are far more far-reaching than just you and your personal story.

Of course, both may be rendered moot by the oncoming invasion by the empire, but that's also a classic scenario.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    It's a classic decision between a repressive status quo or a violent revolution. One of the better things about the Witcher is that you don't play long enough to see the full results of either, because both are far more far-reaching than just you and your personal story.

Of course, both may be rendered moot by the oncoming invasion by the empire, but that's also a classic scenario.
    Personal opinion is that as a rounded narrative siding with Roche works better, the elements of different factions that you encounter feel more complete and balanced. Iorveth’s path is far more trad fantasy-as the designers themselves clearly intended, given some of the dialogue you encounter down that path-Roche feels more like Witcher 1 to me. Both are great in their own way but if I had to choose one as canon it would be the Roche approach (poet and I didn’t know it).

Iorveth’s path at the end of Act I is WAY BETTER though

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I keep restarting chapter 2 of Dragon Commander to choose a new wife. This is almost as bad as character generation in an RPG!

Finished Paper's Please. Masterpiece.

Was playing Shogun 2 Total War with my brother in the co-op campaign which works very well (the second player can sort out his towns while the first takes his turn). I'm just not really into the Japanese medieval period though, and we decided to pack it in for the much cooler Rome 2 coming round the corner.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Devoured Gone Home in one glorious 3 hour bite. I now can't stop thinking about it. A shame Mr. Ebert recently passed away as I think we finally have our Citizen Kane for PC gaming.

More Infinite, more walking around and seeing beautiful shit. The tone and the concept of the propaganda, the capturing of the spirit and excesses of an era and ideology are just like magic to me. It is an outstanding piece of artistic work, by any definition. The combination of imagination and authenticity and polish are outstanding.

It would have been enough. It is enough. Just walking around, seeing all this stuff, listening to holodecks (or whatever they’re called now), overhearing conversation, looking at museum pieces and cultural artefacts reveals so much narrative as it is. It is clearly sinister and uneasy and tense without there being any need to start a war with you starring as the Atomic Bomb in the middle of it all.

That’s what Bioshock is. That’s the series. It goes from being this beautiful simulation of wonder and unease and narrative richness and then it just turns into a wackier Doom 3 without there being any conceit for it beyond the fact that people who play videogames want to shoot things. It is an exercise in creating a truly unique experience pretty much exclusive to the medium before demolishing it more or less completely by turning it into a clone of 500 other totally uninspired genre clichés. The combat is a lot of fun, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not needed here. Put it somewhere else where it makes sense.

I wish Ken Levine would just go with it rather than apologising for his intelligence and feeling the need to overcompensate for it by showing how much of a big kid he is and hey actually it’s cool guys no biggy no judgement here just have fun. The series clearly wants to explore deep and mature stuff, and you can still make that accessible without having to resort to blowing up everyone’s face.

So, so close but just as fucking far as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    To be uncharacteristically pessimistic, from what I've seen of the Space Hulk it's basically Incubation, except worse in all aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    You know, it hurts more when things are just so close compared to being far off.

Activated Node
    Space Hulk.

It's... OK, I guess. If only those Marines would move a bit faster. The sound is bugging out a lot lately.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    For the little I have played, the only bug so far I had was the sound glitching out. I have had a few misclicks on movement which are annoying. Having never played the board game but knowing borads games, its fun for what it is. Maybe $30 is overpriced (got it for $25 in 2-pack). I have not played mission 6 yet and run into that bug yet.

I move all my Space Marines at the same time and end turn. I believe once their animation is done it ends, but they are all moving at the same time. But like most turn based games, there needs to be a skip animation option. Between playing Advance Wars, Civ, Heroes of Might & Magic, etc. Quick movement is well warranted once you know the game and/or are replaying it.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    I move all my Space Marines at the same time and end turn. I believe once their animation is done it ends, but they are all moving at the same time. But like most turn based games, there needs to be a skip animation option. Between playing Advance Wars, Civ, Heroes of Might & Magic, etc. Quick movement is well warranted once you know the game and/or are replaying it.
    Yes, that's something they should definitely patch into the game. It's just getting tiring after a while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Anyone making a turn-based game who doesn't have a skip animation hotkey is a sillyface.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    You know, it hurts more when things are just so close compared to being far off.
    It's weird to be playing a game where basically everything works really well but is worse for the fact that all those things that work really well are in it. Bioshock: Gone Home and Bioshock: Fuck People Up With Magic And Guns would both be excellent games.

Even that feels weird because it makes it sound like Infinite isn't a great game, because it is! Bioshock had exactly the same promise and failed on exactly the same level, and it's irritating to feel as though that the course of the closeness to something worthy of the Looking Glass heritage that was tangible but still too distant in the first episode has basically not progressed any five years later. Everything is there for it except the coherency and overall control, but without that it's simply two very strong halves that make a weaker whole somehow.

I replayed the first mission of Dishonored again without powers except for Blink, and I tried to explore every nook and cranny to ensure I'd get most of the loot, but the debrief still said I fell nine hundred coins short. Nine hundred! And I went through the whole district twice! Plus the Overseer's room, the doctor's apartment, both combination lock safes... what am I missing?

Now on chapter 2 of The Witcher 2, spoilers follow:
    After thinking about it, following roche felt like the most logical option, so I did it. Sadly that took me to another pointless stealth section, wich angered me quite a bit. Roche defeated Iorveth. King Henselt didn't accept the duel and pummeled the Dragonslayer down. I'm not completelly sold on this "play as other characters" bits. They force me out of my character, and make me take decisions when I don't know anything about the character I'm commanding or the situation. Not to talk about how I grew used to everything Geralt can do in combat, other characters feel so short and unresponsive...

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    My favorite two hours of Bioshock: Infinite, and probably my favorite gaming hours of the year, were spent wandering around the city, being blown away by the sights, absorbing the atmospheric sounds, and exploring every little nook of the shops. Hell of an intro.

I knew what was coming. I didn't care. There were still little treats of exploration to do amidst the dull cinematic shootfests.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Assassin's Creed II. Completed the second major assassination in Venice, and what can I say. The game is still ridiculously easy, and in small spaces like buildings the AI is completely lost. In more general terms the city of Venice has also been cruel to the AI, who, like three year old kids, seem unaware that 'that thing that just dived in the water is the same thing that came up to the surface a few meters away'. This makes escaping The Law very easy, indeed. Not that it matters, because the AI still cannot fight. Still, it's mostly a good laugh.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Anyone making a turn-based game who doesn't have a skip animation hotkey is a sillyface.
    I don't remember there was one in XCOM: Ennemy unknown ?

Though it's only during my second playtrough that I discovered you could give orders to other squad members while other soldiers were doing their movement.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Dwarf Fortress. I come back to this jewel every 6 months or so, and lose whole weeks. Right now I'm building the catacombs and I've planned it so that I can get everyone buried along with their peers in a system that places them in more luxurious and bigger rooms depending on who they were in life.

Nobles and heroes have their own sections as well as people who gave their lives for the fort ( but didn't do a very good job of killing things so they aren't heroes ) and smiths and smelters rest together while stone masons are just across the tunnel from the carpenters. And lastly there are miners, medical staff, craftsdorfs and dorfs I collectively call "food people".

Now if a dorf doesn't belong to any of these or didn't do a very good job of it, he/she better hope that his family's patriarch/matriarch did a good job of being someone important so that they can get buried in a room under that dorf's personal burial chamber since their ancestor did something worthwhile like creating an artifact or something.

If the dorf doesn't have any useful skills or didn't contribute enough to the community I bury them around the various temple chambers as offerings to that god.

edit: On turn based games I play with the animations on until I get bored of them then disable them or speed them up. If you expect someone to play your game for a long time, you don't make them sit around doing nothing. This is why animation speed settings and turn processing optimization are important.
    Last edited by Caddybear; 17-08-2013 at 11:10 AM.