Page 832 of 1049 FirstFirst ... 332732782822830831832833834842882932 ... LastLast
Results 16,621 to 16,640 of 20963
    I've just finished Dishonored. I enjoyed it.
    The chaos mechanic kinda played against it as there is a "right" way to play it. In a game that's about letting you choose how to deal with any given situation it seems counter productive.
    I might do a high chaos playtrhough later (or play the DLC, when I finally buy it, that way).

This means that I've just finished three of the four games I've bought the last sale. So I guess I'm doing quite well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    I just completed it, and definitively agree. It was most excellent! Taken as a whole, it's my favourite chapter of the game so far. It doesn't hurt that the entire vibe of the chapter is delightfully anti-statist.
    It makes up for the two bullshit moments from the previous two chapter/Memories where [spoilers]: Ezio (and the rest of the assassins) happily lets Borgia run away from him - this is Ezio who has guns, knives and should easily be able to outrun a guy who is kind of on the hefty side - without considering that maybe, just maybe Borgia won't give up and will keep on amassing power; and then Ezio gets knifed by the other Orsi brother in the most ridiculous way possible, losing the Piece of Eden in the process. Those two moments did so much to hard the character of Ezio for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    The chaos mechanic kinda played against it as there is a "right" way to play it. In a game that's about letting you choose how to deal with any given situation it seems counter productive.
    I might do a high chaos playtrhough later (or play the DLC, when I finally buy it, that way).

This means that I've just finished three of the four games I've bought the last sale. So I guess I'm doing quite well.

I'm doing a high chaos playthrough right now, without power upgrades. I'm not even touching the runes, the Outsider can stay the hell out of my head. I'm currently on the third mission, and I made sure that I left no hostile witnesses alive in the previous ones, but my mask is on the wanted posters regardless, instead of the previous 'unknown assailant'. Maybe one of the neutral bottle street gang members squealed to the guards.

Speaking of the bottle street gang, I discovered that it's possible to kill Slackjaw when you're doing a quest for him, and I wanted to off him on my way out of the Golden Cat, but since I'd already killed the Pendletons and opened the art dealer's safe he wasn't there any more. That's a real shame, I was curious to what would happen since he has a role to play later in the game.

For people who aren't stealth game purists, the chaos mechanic does a good job of adapting the game to your playstyle. You could play the game as a straight-up first person murder game, have awesome swordfights and shoot guards in the face, and if you do that the game responds by giving you more guards and more security so that it's actually challenging for people who don't care about stealth. But that's just a theory, I haven't actually tried to play it that way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I found Dishonored way more fun as a straight up Superhero game. The mechanics mean there's no real stealthiness to the stealth, too easy to hide and get around. I'm going to try it without powers and see how that goes next time. Combining super powers to just get rid of guards in interesting ways is great fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    I call shenanigans. How can you play Gone Home for 8 hours without finishing...even by accident? I'm going to assume either the bulk of that time was spent not actually playing or maybe turning off audio diaries and mapping really does amp up the difficulty.
    I am compulsively writing a lot of notes, which probably accounts for much of the extra time. I don't know whether doing this makes sense, given that detailed clues seem to be less important than building up a general picture of the family, but I started this way, so I'm going to keep going. Mapping doesn't take that long - so far I've been going through a floor once I've seen everything and making sure I get the turns right, but it's not a big deal.

Also, looking for secret passages / compartments.

Edit: finished after about ten hours, as far as getting to all the rooms and reading everything I found. Still haven't played the tapes or answering machine. Will go back in a few weeks and do over with the audio diaries.
    Last edited by Pertusaria; 18-08-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    I got the feeling that Arkane made the chaos rating system a lot more forgiving in the DLCs. I approached the main game with a "play-as-stealthily-as-I-can-manage-but-don't-reload-if-I-mess-up-while-exploring-as-much-as-possible" philosophy and I ended up with the high chaos ending. I played The Knife of Dunwall practically the same way and - although I managed to murder almost every soul in the third mission (by accident, of course) - I still got the low chaos ending.

Europa Universalis IV is currently devouring my soul. It was nice knowing you guys.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    I got the feeling that Arkane made the chaos rating system a lot more forgiving in the DLCs. I approached the main game with a "play-as-stealthily-as-I-can-manage-but-don't-reload-if-I-mess-up-while-exploring-as-much-as-possible" philosophy and I ended up with the high chaos ending. I played The Knife of Dunwall practically the same way and - although I managed to murder almost every soul in the third mission (by accident, of course) - I still got the low chaos ending.
    I found the knife of dunwall really hard to play stealthily simply because the levels were a bit more cramped and guard infested, and there was just so much of the arbitrary route redrawing where you couldn't just put a guard out of sight, because every guard you knocked out redrew the patrol routes of every other nearby guard instantaneously, always to 'coincidentally' cover the area with a missing guard. It happened in dishonored's base campaign as well, but not to the same extent. I always felt there was nowhere to actually hide bodies because guards would always just magic bee-line for them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    It makes up for the two bullshit moments from the previous two chapter/Memories where [spoilers]
    Yes, that showdown in Venezia and indeed that moment in Forlž were approaching BioWare levels of nonsense.

I finished Assassin's Creed II this afternoon. The final chapter was rather underwhelming, especially after the excellent second DLC chapter. It really highlighted some of the reasons I have mixed feelings about this game, but once I got past the contrived Final Boss Battle™ and sat through the ending cinematic I did want to immediately get going with the series' next instalment. It does have that strange compelling quality, and whatever else may be wrong with the series, I continue to be amazed by the sheer scale and detail of the cities Ubisoft has made.

As for the direction of the series' story: I'm not sure why every game series needs an antagonist or 'soon to be averted destiny' of universal apocalyptic scale. I figured the power politics of the Italian cities, or indeed outre-mer in the first AC game, would be sufficiently interesting, but apparently not. It's still very tolerable, though, so not in any sense a fun-spoiler.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 18-08-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Edited for grammar.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Currently playing Shift 2 - having lots of fun with it. Anyone know games that have a wide variaty of cars and disciplines?

Network Hub
    The Witcher. Currently on Chapter III, quite enjoying it. Though sometimes I'll get ANOTHER fetch quest and just have to turn it off for a while.

Also played a bit of CS:GO. I haven't played it in a couple of weeks and in that time have managed to go from mediocre to absolutely shit. Seriously, how do people manage two simultaneous headshots, whilst running and 100m away? I can barely hit a target if I'm stationary and crouched. Aiming for the head feels like anathema too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    As for the direction of the series' story: I'm not sure why every game series needs an antagonist or 'soon to be averted destiny' of universal apocalyptic scale. I figured the power politics of the Italian cities, or indeed outre-mer in the first AC game, would be sufficiently interesting, but apparently not. It still very tolerable, though, so not in any sense a fun-spoiler.
    Videogames as a general rule still need to comprehend the idea that a bigger story isn't necessarily a better one, and the two words aren't interchangeable. This is partly because generally speaking, they're not written by people with a lot of practice writing, or who know that faceless publisher suits will automatically close up if you don't promise a AAA 'epic' story with the fate of something a player couldn't possibly care about at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Videogames as a general rule still need to comprehend the idea that a bigger story isn't necessarily a better one, and the two words aren't interchangeable. This is partly because generally speaking, they're not written by people with a lot of practice writing, or who know that faceless publisher suits will automatically close up if you don't promise a AAA 'epic' story with the fate of something a player couldn't possibly care about at stake.
    I agree. It is really annoying when it comes to fantasy RPGs. Not every RPG has to be a version of Frodo's saving the world from super evil.

Banned
    It might have to do with the fact that it's hard to write a good story that's conducive to compelling gameplay. There are no shifting perspectives, everything is in the first person, no camera angles to present things visually and you can't focus too hard on what other characters are doing without pulling people out of actual gameplay. Even first person perspective books and movies are rare, and they at least have the ability to explore the character via exposition. Imagine Catcher in the Rye as a videogame.

Plus design wise, the scriptwriter isn't going to be the game designer so i imagine plenty of conflict resulting in bits and pieces rewritten. It's harder than you guys think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    It might have to do with the fact that it's hard to write a good story that's conducive to compelling gameplay. There are no shifting perspectives, everything is in the first person, no camera angles to present things visually and you can't focus too hard on what other characters are doing without pulling people out of actual gameplay. Even first person perspective books and movies are rare, and they at least have the ability to explore the character via exposition. Imagine Catcher in the Rye as a videogame.

Plus design wise, the scriptwriter isn't going to be the game designer so i imagine plenty of conflict resulting in bits and pieces rewritten. It's harder than you guys think.
    Please don't mistake my statement for saying it's easy. It's most definitely a tough task, and I can appreciate that. But it doesn't even need to be a non-action game, or an especially cerebral one. For example, Bioshock 2 doesn't involve any world saving, and nor does dishonored. I think what game designers need to get is people care for smaller things, not bigger ones. A village, OK. A family, very much so. Friends and lovers, yes. The entire planet? It's abstract. I don't care about the great dragon god rayrknfe'feth. An evil robber baron and the person who saves the village? That can still be a great, simple story.

I want a Des Ex style android retiring game in the spirit of Blade Runner and Electric Sheep.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hearhstone beta. Just got started on it. Hard to say much right now. The first few AI matches are really basic. Have not got to deck build yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Videogames as a general rule still need to comprehend the idea that a bigger story isn't necessarily a better one, and the two words aren't interchangeable.
    Right, and it's all the more odd Ubisoft felt compelled to go this route because Assassin's Creed is one of those games which, at least to my understanding, was marketed to people not so much for its story but for the unique level design, or I guess I should say, gameplay. I suppose that what the suits call 'creating a franchise' also influences, said or unsaid, the scope of what writers and developers aim for.

Anyway, I moved on to another game on my 'Priority: Backlog'-list: Mirror's Edge. I have to wonder whoever thought to put Jump, such a critical action in this game, on the Left Shoulderbutton of the Xbox 360 gamepad. Not sure I'll continue if I don't find a way to change the controller settings, because this plays rather badly.

Edit: It seems the TdInput.ini file offers some opportunities for rebinding keys. I'll have to look into that!
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 18-08-2013 at 11:41 PM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I interpreted the chaos mechanic as giving you more of what you want. Like killing stuff? High chaos gives you more mindless zombies and violent rats to decapitate/blow up. Don't like killing stuff? Low chaos gives you more room to sneak about. Have heard that the more chaotic endings are a bit annoying tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    I want a Des Ex style android retiring game in the spirit of Blade Runner and Electric Sheep.
    The twist: it's also a bit Spy Party, you don't know who the real androids are and who are other players!

Have almost finished my excruciatingly slow, 30-hour Origin download of Battlefield 3. Is it even worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    I interpreted the chaos mechanic as giving you more of what you want. Like killing stuff? High chaos gives you more mindless zombies and violent rats to decapitate/blow up. Don't like killing stuff? Low chaos gives you more room to sneak about. Have heard that the more chaotic endings are a bit annoying tho.
    Gameplay wise, it is. Story wise the game even tells you that high chaos means "darker outcomes". So it means that the "best" ending is the one you achieve with low chaos. That's what I meant.