Page 836 of 1212 FirstFirst ... 336736786826834835836837838846886936 ... LastLast
Results 16,701 to 16,720 of 24226
    Making a more concerted effort lately to trim down the backlog and actually play the games I've bought in various sales.

So far played and completed Puzzle Quest 2 (Pretty good fun and hellishly addictive), Mark of the Ninja (Best game I've played in quite some time), Gunpoint (Fun but short. Really could do with Steam Workshop support.), the last Defense Grid DLC which were good fun as always plus I improved my scores in a few other maps to top my Steam friends scores. Also played a bit of Faerie Solitaire (pretty shit but only cost 40p) and Gyromancer (Struggled to get into it. Doubt I'll go back to it)

Now I'm staring at my library just wondering what to play next. I've narrowed it down to Anno 2070, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger or Star Wars: Republic Commando. I Don't even remember buying that last one

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    Is this any good? It's been sitting in my backlog for quite some time now but the Steam forums were ablaze with complaints and protests upon release due to various problems, which put me off somewhat.
    Is chess any good?

Identical sides, no terrain, no morale, no resource management, horrible balance, one map, one game mode...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    Is this any good? It's been sitting in my backlog for quite some time now but the Steam forums were ablaze with complaints and protests upon release due to various problems, which put me off somewhat.
    I've not had any problems, at least not noticeably - crashes, freezes, the like. The UI and the controls are a bit clunky, but it's not really intrusive. I bought it mainly for the classic chess mode, which I think can be quite amusing from time to time. I have however dabbled in the other modes, one of which puts the pieces in a sort of brawling mode when attacked or when attacking. This allows them to defend themselves from an attack - which is then said to have 'failed'. The pieces have a health bar and differ in strength (for example, a pawn attacking the Queen is probably going to get swept aside). It adds something to the game for sure, is in no way bad or unworkable, but for now I'm mostly interested in the classic mode.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Funny, this is how the Ottomans look in my game:
    I always start EU games in 1492; that doesn't lose me very much time and by that date the major powers are sufficiently powerful that the AI manages to get most of them working well.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Casimir Effect :
    Witcher 2 spoiler: (I'll preface this by saying that I didn't hesitate for a second in letting Roche murder Henselt, and that it was one of the most satisfying gaming moments I've ever had) Not to get technical about it but I thought Henselt basically told Ves that if she went willingly then he might spare the others - ie. he emotionally blackmailed her (and then hanged them all anyway). To me that made it worse than if he had just raped her, as not only did he do so but he also got inside her head. I'd be amazed if there is anyone who didn't let Henselt die. Although I have to say he did provide decent reasons - killing a king will destabilize a country and a large part of the story/setting is to do with the threat of Nilfgaard.
    And a spoilerish response:

I also had no hesitation, and neither had Roche, both Geralt and Roche knew what balance they could change by killing the King but it was such and horrible act that he deserved to die. Hell he deserved even worst than that, slowly burned or get eaten, bits by bits by the Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post

spoilered: (I'll preface this by saying that I didn't hesitate for a second in letting Roche murder Henselt, and that it was one of the most satisfying gaming moments I've ever had) Not to get technical about it but I thought Henselt basically told Ves that if she went willingly then he might spare the others - ie. he emotionally blackmailed her (and then hanged them all anyway). To me that made it worse than if he had just raped her, as not only did he do so but he also got inside her head. I'd be amazed if there is anyone who didn't let Henselt die. Although I have to say he did provide decent reasons - killing a king will destabilize a country and a large part of the story/setting is to do with the threat of Nilfgaard.
    I think it was a totally acceptable Witcher choice. They're neutral but they're not amoral. Geralt seems to have quite a strong code of ethics if anything. Worrying about political stability would have been far less neutral if you ask me. I totally saw red at that point though, a testament as to how strong the characters are in W2.

Obscure Node
    Rocksmith! Oh and a bit of TF2.

Two things regarding KOTOR2:

1. The scene at the rebuilt academy on Dantooine and the one immediately following that on Telos are easily the best thing to ever happen in the Star Wars universe, and some of the best of their kind in all games.
    Most quotable game ever. The bit at the academy is simply brilliant.

On my hand I've started playing Crysis 2. It seriously has all the shinies but by god that FOV is made of nightmares. I'll have to start messing with the console when I get home.
    Last edited by Tikey; 21-08-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Also I was playing Sword & Sworcery but the game ate my save. I'm not playing it again. Does anybody know where I can get a savegame right after the first session?

Saw Orion: Dino Horde having a free week on Steam. Downloaded. Two CTD's from the server lobby in four minutes. No idea how the server lobby works. Got in a game accidentally. Played ten minutes. Verdict: the absolutely, most ridiculously, horribly terribad game I've ever seen. I just laughed all the way through that ten minutes period, and then uninstalled it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I've been playing Sleeping Dogs, which is rather like playing a John Woo movie with fewer guns and more karaoke. I really dig the movement, it feels like you're in a real world with actual people it most of the time. I'm still getting a handle on the fisticuffs, but am slowly getting better and better. One irk is this: must I always be outnumbered ten to one in a fight? Hopefully it improves as more skills are unlocked, but so far it's decent enough that it is far from a deal breaker.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Just finished The Witcher 2, and a couple of spoilers follow:
    On the last chapter, I chose to rescue Triss, of course. As much as saving the royal bastard was important, Geralt has his own interests, and he's not about to leave a friend behind. I let the dragon live too, no point on killing such a creature when it's so wounded. In the end, I let letho leave. Selling his sword as an assasin is certainly a violation of everything witchers should be, but I could understand his reason, a member of a dying species being told theres a way to create more like him...
    Ultimately, I really enjoyed it, but I'm not a hundred percent sure I enjoyed it as much as the first. While it is certainly more mature, and the interaction is better, something in the way events unfolded has left me feeling a tiny bit unsatisfied. I can't quite put my finger into what it was, though.
    Now it's time to wait for The Witcher 3: Enhaced Edition, I don't se a point on buying one of these games before the EE rolls out.

Ha, we took the same decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    Just finished The Witcher 2, and a couple of spoilers follow:
    On the last chapter, I chose to rescue Triss, of course. As much as saving the royal bastard was important, Geralt has his own interests, and he's not about to leave a friend behind. I let the dragon live too, no point on killing such a creature when it's so wounded. In the end, I let letho leave. Selling his sword as an assasin is certainly a violation of everything witchers should be, but I could understand his reason, a member of a dying species being told theres a way to create more like him...
    Ultimately, I really enjoyed it, but I'm not a hundred percent sure I enjoyed it as much as the first. While it is certainly more mature, and the interaction is better, something in the way events unfolded has left me feeling a tiny bit unsatisfied. I can't quite put my finger into what it was, though.
    Now it's time to wait for The Witcher 3: Enhaced Edition, I don't se a point on buying one of these games before the EE rolls out.
    Regarding the final fight: I'm surprised you say that, considering what happened in the Witcher 1. I don't remember his name, but the witcher who sold the secrets of Kaer Morhen to Salamandra had a long, hard talk with Geralt about the nature of his loyalty to the other witchers at Kaer Morhen. Vesemir and the others are, essentially, Geralt's family, but his early history with them is fairly horrible regardless: he was taken from his parents without their consent (or at least their approval) and subjected to torturous rituals that kill the majority of boys. Why would you want to let that happen again?

In Letho's case, his reason may be that with the help of the Emperor, he'll have a place to call home again, where he isn't ostracised like most witchers in Nilfgaard. In return, the Emperor will probably want to train more witchers since they're so useful as secret agents: superhuman fighters with seemingly no allegiance to king or country.

Personally, I let Letho live because, like he said, I'm not his enemy, and he's not mine. There was no goal that I would accomplish by killing him, he was no longer a threat to me or any of my friends, and finally, he treated me like a friend as well. And I figured there had been enough killing for a bit.

Before you go on to TW3, though, you should also play Iorveth's path. It completely changes your perspective on the ending. You have no idea. For that matter, the choice of saving Triss or not has some dire consequences as well, so don't miss that either.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I always start EU games in 1492; that doesn't lose me very much time and by that date the major powers are sufficiently powerful that the AI manages to get most of them working well.
    Seems like a better way to get the "right" major powers running than the Lucky Nations mechanic. I'm disappointed that Lucky Nations has to be enabled in Ironman games.

But then I'm the kind that doesn't really mind it if history gets very alternative, as long as there's a rhyme and a reason to it. So the EU3 DW thing with eg. Genoa blobbing across the Russian steppes was uncool, but something like Byzantium blossoming due to an Ottoman collapse at the hands of Mamlukes, Timurids or whatever is fine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestledwithgod View Post
    Speaking of KotoR II, I'm playing through it at the moment and did Dantooine and Korriban first. I feel somewhat burned out; they weren't very good. Are they simply two of the shittier areas of the game or is the rest not a significant improvement?
    Korriban is a bit rubbish because it was meant to tie in with the cut droid planet - Master Vash was meant to be found there as I understand. However, the behind-the-force-barrier bit of the (Mynock?) cave on Korriban is excellent. Here is where a lot of the reinterpreting/retconning of KOTOR1 happens. So if you weren't able to go in there due to not being light/dark enough, make sure you return later.

Dantooine is a good first planet to go to but that's about it. It's mostly harmless, doesn't take long and the siege/battle for Khoondar is fun enough. Really, even though Nar Shaddaa and Onderan are better than Dantooine and Korriban, none of the places to go are particularlu good. KOTOR2 is all about the interactions on the ship and the bigger conversation set-pieces such as that with Atris on Telos when you go to get the Ebon Hawke back. It's very much an Obsidian game in that respect. Whereas the planets in KOTOR1 were usually pretty fun but talking to Carth, Mission and Bastila was deathly boring.

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I think it was a totally acceptable Witcher choice. They're neutral but they're not amoral. Geralt seems to have quite a strong code of ethics if anything. Worrying about political stability would have been far less neutral if you ask me. I totally saw red at that point though, a testament as to how strong the characters are in W2.
    The game almost offers another axis on a quasi-morality scale, one which defines how involved in the politics you get. The first game was even more heavily into this but with less consequence and properly combined it with the human/non-human conflict (there was actually a neutral path which is a bugger to play). Like deciding between humans and Scoia'tael in TW2, you decide between getting involved with the kingdoms (i.e. I want to kill Foltests killer) or staying out of it (I want to clear my name). And it's a bit hard to stay out of it and be ready to damn the north by your actions seeins as Geralt has a history with Nilfgaard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    Just finished The Witcher 2, and a couple of spoilers follow
    If you have a savegame in the right palce, and don't think you'll be doing another full Roche playthrough soon, then I recommend you reload before [spoilered] deciding to save Triss and pick the other path. Then you get to deal with Dethmold. It's worth it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Korriban is a bit rubbish because it was meant to tie in with the cut droid planet - Master Vash was meant to be found there as I understand. However, the behind-the-force-barrier bit of the (Mynock?) cave on Korriban is excellent. Here is where a lot of the reinterpreting/retconning of KOTOR1 happens. So if you weren't able to go in there due to not being light/dark enough, make sure you return later.

Dantooine is a good first planet to go to but that's about it. It's mostly harmless, doesn't take long and the siege/battle for Khoondar is fun enough. Really, even though Nar Shaddaa and Onderan are better than Dantooine and Korriban, none of the places to go are particularlu good. KOTOR2 is all about the interactions on the ship and the bigger conversation set-pieces such as that with Atris on Telos when you go to get the Ebon Hawke back. It's very much an Obsidian game in that respect. Whereas the planets in KOTOR1 were usually pretty fun but talking to Carth, Mission and Bastila was deathly boring.

The game almost offers another axis on a quasi-morality scale, one which defines how involved in the politics you get. The first game was even more heavily into this but with less consequence and properly combined it with the human/non-human conflict (there was actually a neutral path which is a bugger to play). Like deciding between humans and Scoia'tael in TW2, you decide between getting involved with the kingdoms (i.e. I want to kill Foltests killer) or staying out of it (I want to clear my name). And it's a bit hard to stay out of it and be ready to damn the north by your actions seeins as Geralt has a history with Nilfgaard.

If you have a savegame in the right palce, and don't think you'll be doing another full Roche playthrough soon, then I recommend you reload before [spoilered] deciding to save Triss and pick the other path. Then you get to deal with Dethmold. It's worth it.
    I got the Witcher path first time I played The Witcher. The cutscene was all like " You are a Witcher" and I was like "Yeah I know". More satisfying than either of the other two though I'd say.

Network Hub
    Dead Space 3

This game can suck a large one. Dead space? more like dead wood. I'm at the 4 hour mark and I think I took out a boss. Only just. He was big and had lots of legs and oh, charged at you without a slightest hint of a dodge to BE MADE and i'm really struggling to find reasons to boot it up and get back to it. i'm a big girls blouse at heart but this? This is about as scary as a can of red emulsion. A open can of red emulsion.

I liked Dead Space 2, I thought it was alright. This is bad. Its full on boring action(yes action can be boring) with a crappy crafting system I can not make heads or tails of. I did I think upgrade my gun with a thingy, it had a + sign and anything with a + sign must be good right? Well except golf but no one likes golf so that doesn't count. More boring texts file to find and read and diaguloue on recorded computers. I hate that, Ever since Bioshock, I can not stand recorded shit, standing around, listening. At least with Bioshock it was vaguely interesting due to the world they built but with dead space? same old, same old.

The story is what? I don't know, Beacon destroyer extraordinarie I think with a 'crew' who don't really do much but like to tell me what to do. I think at one point Isaac goes "We got a long way to go yet" I deflated a bit and let out a long draw out sign of yawn. Its more like...I don't know, Its more of a hoover simulation with shooty bits. The amount of stuff that drops, i'v seen less items in a MMO then this. I can see why it flopped, its just isn't very good. I must say that the production and sounds are top notch as usual, I just wished it had better gameplay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    Dead Space 3

This game can suck a large one. Dead space? more like dead wood.
    If that was the case it'd be called Dead Fucking Space Cocksucker 3*

*in case of being offended

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    Dead Space 3
    I've been trying to download it since I bought the Humble Bundle, but it seems to only want to do about 250MB a night, then I have to exit Origin entirely - something it's less than happy to do - then start the download again, because it gets stuck on the 'Pausing...' (how hard is it to go from 'downloading' to 'not downloading', anyway?) bit and won't respond until I quit properly. That means Origin's downloader has gotten worse; back when I was doing BF3 I just had to doubleclick the pause button and it would restart itself.

Meanwhile, over on Steam and GOG, any dropped connections are automatically re-initiated, which is why they are good and Origin is not good.

But yes, I'm currently playing Payday 2, and lots of it. I have a CAR-4 (fake M4) that would make DW, my brother-in-silenced-weapons, proud. Here it is:

Actually I've added a grip to it since this screenshot. When I finally get vintage mags (basically Vietnam-style straight STANAGs) it'll be less visible than a handgun. Yes, Payday 2's weapon stats and modifiers make absolutely fuck all sense; some components are said to be purely aesthetic even though the stat bar charts show that they do modify stats, some do the opposite of what they're supposed to ("increases accuracy", but actually leaves accuracy completely unmodified, reduces mobility and increases recoil) and some have invisible effects like the shotgun shell rack which inexplicably adds two rounds to your magazine, but the description makes no mention of that. Oh and the extended mag for the .45 increases the visibility yet the much larger extended mag for the G18C does nothing to the visibility at all... I think the very best stealth build you can have is this rifle with vintage mags and an MP5 with the MP5K parts (short barrel and no stock), or maybe the revolver with a short barrel and smooth cylinder (I have no idea why or how that makes it less visible), but the ridiculous loot system means I'm no closer to getting those parts than I was when I first started the game.

Still, the heists are fun, but the entire game is far more fun if you play with RPSers. Or tell people you're actually romcom legend Hugh Grant by way of text chat.
    Last edited by neema_t; 22-08-2013 at 01:36 AM.