Page 854 of 1258 FirstFirst ... 354754804844852853854855856864904954 ... LastLast
Results 17,061 to 17,080 of 25143
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Is there actually anyone, anywhere, in old or new media, who "reviews" things according to this fabled bible of pure objectivity?

I mean, I think there's much more to be objective about with criticism than most people are willing to believe, but I still won't pretend there's some lonely summit of journalistic zen up there in the clouds, where all pronouncements are based on cold hard fact and it's impossible to deny their piercing, diamond-hard truthiness. Baffles me how so many internet commenters keep insinuating there is such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Which is obviously much more important than whether or not it's an enjoyable experience or not. I think we should judge books on their technical prowess too. Good font, nice quality paper, solid cover. 8/10.
    I wish people would stop saying this. We have a way to judge books on their technical prowess. It's called how good a writer someone is. I've read plenty of books where the author was painfully lacking in the basics - grammar, vocabulary, sentence construction, character voices, all that stuff - but they were a good enough storyteller I didn't really mind. I've played plenty of videogames where it looked as if the developers had built their gameworld ten years ago and liberally salted it with show-stopping bugs, but where the experience of play or the story or the aesthetic or something was good enough I soldiered on regardless. Equally important, I've read books and played games where the "technical shortcomings" were too obvious to overcome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This is a ridiculous argument. Every single creative field judges on technical merit as well as creativity. Painting and sculpture are. Film absolutely is. Citizen Kane did not have a revolutionary plot, however it did show ceilings and neat shots with mirrors. Food is more judged on its merits. Even books have been experimenting with form and texture, and at a more basic level the "bugs" of books are grammatical and printing errors.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Does that make Stephen King the CoD or Fifa or the book world?
    Stephen King is the Madden of the book world, honestly.

The Witcher 2 2.0 Enhanced Edition Director's Cut Full Combat Rebalance mod (TW22p0EEDCFCRm). On HARD! Started re-reading the first 2 books translated into English last weekend, and am now reading "Time of Contempt", also been looking forward to TW3, and realised I never finished TW2, and had never done Iorveth's path (done Flotsam 3 times, and Ch2. Roche's path twice... I think I started new playthroughs when 2.0 and the EE were both released). So, figured I'd play through to the end this time, see Iorveth's path, get a save game for importation, and see what the FCRm is all about.

I'm enjoying it so far... Seems to make the game tougher, but easier at the same time. Equipment is a lot less powerful, and there seems to be a lot less available (all the DLC stuff has vanished, and I haven't been getting the same diagrams as quest rewards, as it used to be)... Combat is 'easier' in some ways though. Geralt is a lot more responsive, and the amount of rolling is reduced... you still need to use movement and the environment etc., but it's not about jumping around 'til 1 enemy is isolated. Feels a lot more like "the Dance", the Witcher style of swordplay as described in the books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been playing Shogun 2 as the Otomo - the catholic faction on the far western isle. I come bringing word of salvation! And guns, if you need persuading about the truth of our lord and saviour.

Playing as the baddies. Feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    This is a ridiculous argument. Every single creative field judges on technical merit as well as creativity. Painting and sculpture are. Film absolutely is. Citizen Kane did not have a revolutionary plot, however it did show ceilings and neat shots with mirrors. Food is more judged on its merits. Even books have been experimenting with form and texture, and at a more basic level the "bugs" of books are grammatical and printing errors.

I completely agree. Not all games should be reviewed for their story nor mechanics. You won't play To The Moon for it's mechanics, and you won't play CS:GO for it's story. You won't read The Shinning for it's usefullness, but you won't read "Windows 7 for Dummies" for it's story, either.

Obscure Node
    I'm playing FFXIV: A realm reborn. My friend convinced me to give it a try, saying it was pretty good. It's not too bad, still very limited MMOish combat but the world has more depth than most modern MMOs. There is something about this one that I like very much. I think every MMO fan should try it

In my latest Minecraft world, I have mapped approximately 1048 square kilometers of terrain on 16 256x256m maps. I really like cartography.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexClockwork View Post
    I completely agree. Not all games should be reviewed for their story nor mechanics. You won't play To The Moon for its mechanics, and you won't play CS:GO for its story. You won't read The Shinning for its usefullness, but you won't read "Windows 7 for Dummies" for its story, either.
    I see you are suffering from an excess of apostrophes. I took care of it.

(It's a story, and it's useful, and you read a thing for its story and its usefulness.)

There, that's my pedantry quota used up for this week.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    (It's a story, and it's useful, and you read a thing for its story and its usefulness.)

There, that's my pedantry quota used up for this week.
    If pedantries against my posts will help me improve my English grammar (like this just did), you have my explicit consent to tear me a new one every time I post.

F***, you're right. I don't usually miss that kind of stuff, but I'm practising much less English lately.. Thanks for pointing it out. >.<

Last time I corrected someone I got scolded for it, so I'm glad you appreciate it.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    That's a shit way to manipulate your customers because it's so obvious - here's a much better one.

In SF (and probably other places) there's a pizza place which will only serve a set number of pizzas each day. When it's done that, it closes.

It has a line around the block constantly - people like the pizza and know they need to get there soon to get one and so they go - it works for them.

A local takeaway used to do really nice grilled chicken but the process was lengthy and he had limited capacity meaning you needed to be there bang-on 7pm or 8:30pm or you'd lose out. After a few years he decided to stop doing it - 5 months later he closed-down due to 'an unprecedented drop in custom' which I reckon was down to people no longer having a reason to go there over the 20 other places which offer the same stuff...

Differentiate by all means - just don't be an asshole about it.
    hipster problems.

Last time I corrected someone I got scolded for it, so I'm glad you appreciate it.
    You missed the double l in usefulness.

Can I subscribe to this service too? I'm too lazy to sign up to any one of those social networks to learn foreign languages. Not to mention the social part.

What I'm playing. Well, I've been mostly arguing with Linux, other than that, more SRTT. I'm focusing on the story now because the minigames were getting boring - I'm around the point where STAG has been approved. Also, switched to KBM from pad, I still suck but slightly less now. Ambivalent feelings: fun when it works, other times it just feels hollow to me.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Do you play games on Linux or just use it for work / fooling around? I'm seriously considering to something like Mint as my primary operating system on my next computer.

I have it on a small server, the HTPC and the router, so it kind of hurts if upgrades don't work out. Last time as a desktop was with KDE4 (XFCE on the HTPC when not using XBMC); it's definitely a workable option for the average user and VMs are great to get a feel for different distros. I have been sticking mostly with Debian: every few years I feel an urge to strangle them all and try something different, so probably not my ideal distribution, but I could do worse.

Last ditch attempt to stay on-topic, I'm idling games for cards again, but the RSS feed for the TC group looks broken, how do I keep up-to-date with games I don't own, that have added TC support?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Last ditch attempt to stay on-topic, I'm idling games for cards again, but the RSS feed for the TC group looks broken, how do I keep up-to-date with games I don't own, that have added TC support?
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tra...3981286575231/

Check here or just go to your badges page.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

okay. never thought I'd say this but I'm legitimately scared of bloodsuckers right now. running around trying to make them appear while I'm in poor armour seems like suicide and it doesn't help that they can kill me in a couple of hits. managed to kill three of them in the swamps for a hunting mission but I don't think I want to kill the one right in front of the station right now. I need to get better armour soon
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Got a query. I've played a bit of anno 2070, and I've enjoyed what I've played - but I get the feeling a more historical setting would appeal to me more. Would anybody who's played the earlier anno games be able to make some recommendations on that front?

Anno 1602 is still a fine game. I have a non-install version of it floating around somewhere because it's just that addictive. 1503 was pretty much a disaster and I didn't bother with the series after that.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.