Page 860 of 1184 FirstFirst ... 360760810850858859860861862870910960 ... LastLast
Results 17,181 to 17,200 of 23675
    Network Hub
    Still spending pretty much all my gaming time on iRacing. Far too addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Just wait until you walk into a crocodile ambush. Sheesh.

The komodo dragon creep ups are the scariest.

Finished both Outlast and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

It's interesting playing both consecutively, since it makes a direct comparison very easy while they are fresh in my mind.

I think I definitely enjoyed Outlast more. It has a good mix of jump scares, and tension, while Machine has a more disturbing atmosphere and story.

Outlast's central mechanic of the camcorder w/ night vision, both looks and works brilliant. It gives the game a 'real-life' look, that enchances the scare factor, and is this kind of thing that Machine is lacking - especially since they decided to gut all the gameplay from the previous game.

Machine is decent, but left me a little disappointed. The devs seem to be banking on their story being the main attraction; and while it has a few horrific moments, I found it a bit underwhelming by the end. There will be people who adore it for the writing, but I am not one of them, I like my horror a bit more visual and aural.

I should have been more wary since I knew the game was made by The Chinese Room and not Frictional. I let my love of Amnesia override my dislike of Dear Esther. Oh well.

It is worth noting though, that I feel the bar was set by Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and neither game reaches the heights of excellence that game provided. I might crack on and replay that just to make sure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    TrackMania 2: Canyon! The sliding characteristics of the Canyon car are good fun, and who doesn't like competent track editors in their games? Nadeo has done a fantastic job on the editors, and it's becoming ever harder to imagine enjoying a racing game that doesn't offer the same kind of options for creating your own tracks.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    TrackMania 2: Canyon! The sliding characteristics of the Canyon car are good fun, and who doesn't like competent track editors in their games? Nadeo has done a fantastic job on the editors, and it's becoming ever harder to imagine enjoying a racing game that doesn't offer the same kind of options for creating your own tracks.

As much as I like the series, I found Canyon a bit too difficult. I am stuck two thirds through the single player tracks, trying to get gold or even silver in a few of them in order to progress.

24 kills and 7 death with Warlock. That is all.

okay no. I've been going back to STALKER quite frequently now. I'm getting more obsessed in getting artifacts than actually doing missions now. Got myself a snazzy new Belgian gun and a SEVA suit, doing ninja runs like a muthafucka. Hope there's something in the Boiler anomaly this time
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    As much as I like the series, I found Canyon a bit too difficult. I am stuck two thirds through the single player tracks, trying to get gold or even silver in a few of them in order to progress.
    Canyon is noticeably more difficult than the earlier TrackMania games, definitely. I'm not yet sure how it stacks up against Valley as I haven't played many of those single-player maps yet. The worst thing about Canyon, for me, are the narrow roads and the bumps on the dirt next to them. They've ruined many a jump and caused countless restarts.

Another annoyance is that the game requires you to have a Gold medal on all previous maps in order to progress. If you combine that with increasing the difficulty, it quickly traps people on tracks that they, for whatever reason, aren't very good at. Making the Gold harder is good, as it adds challenge to those who care about it, but surely people who earned a Silver medal are competent enough at the game to merit seeing all the singleplayer content.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Much to my surprise I've just spent 6 hours in iBomber Attack. I got it in some bundle a long time ago and just wanted to scratch it off my backlog, but it's actually quite fun, in a sort of C64/Amiga way. I thought the iBomber games were just some crappy Beachhead clones.

I actually haven't played a game in about two weeks now. Backlog is mostly empty and the games still there I don't feel like playing. First world problems at its finest.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Playing Völgarr the Viking, it is quite glorious and pretty hard. Good times.

Again, nearly no gaming time. I am trying to complete games I've been playing on and off for weeks/months.

I am stuck in Stranger's wrath on the vita. Trying to catch A guy named Packrat something. I really don't like the vita's controls on this one.

I am nearing the end of Saint Rows 3. Next stage seems to be a deathmatch against Killbane, will see how it turns out.I am in the last part of Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror. Some puzzles are really poorly designed but it's still fun to play. I am playing that on the Ipad when I have the time.

Not sure which game I'll play next. I am thinking about FTL or Trine 2 for a change of pace.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Banned
    Presently playing through Assassins Creed Brotherhood (working through my AC backlog), which I'm having a tonne of fun with. Quite liking the assassins management aspect and on the whole the mission levels have been just the right length. Some of the full synchronization objectives are a bit on the fierce side, but I'm not too fussy about 100% completion. As always playing in Italian with English subs, which adds a lot to the experience.

@Drayk

FTL is great, though it's pretty unforgiving and it does require a bit of good fortune on the star system arrangements in order to win through I find. Without getting into spoilers too much: -

1. Try and visit/explore as many systems as you can within a sector. The more you visit the more scrap you are likely to get. As long as you keep ahead of the enemy fleet it's all good.

2. Don't waz your scrap needlessly. The better equipment costs a lot and you're likely to need it.

3. Final fight is a three parter. Be aware.

4. Don't teleport people onto drones.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 13-09-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post

FTL is great, though it's pretty unforgiving and it does require a bit of good fortune on the star system arrangements in order to win through I find. Without getting into spoilers too much: -

1. Try and visit/explore as many systems as you can within a sector. The more you visit the more scrap you are likely to get. As long as you keep ahead of the enemy fleet it's all good.

2. Don't waz your scrap needlessly. The better equipment costs a lot and you're likely to need it.

3. Final fight is a three parter. Be aware.

4. Don't teleport people onto drones.

Thanks buddy, do you think I should try in normal or start in easy mode the first time around ?

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    Thanks buddy, do you think I should try in normal or start in easy mode the first time around ?
    Go for easy to get a feel for how it plays. You're going to die a far amount until you get the hang of the systems, and you want to defeat the boss at least once to understand how the final fight goes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Anyone played DeadPool ??

I watched some Lets Play on youtube and thought well this may be a fun game,well i was wrong :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    In classic old game style actually finishing FTL on easy is probably harder than hard mode, but it's nice for training purposes.

If you can avoid destroying enemy ships (by using boarding crew/drones, fire or by suffocating everyone) you get a massively more resources.

I like pairing up fire bombs with rockmen boarders who stand in the fire protecting it as it slowly consumes the ship.

But as ever it depends on what you find in loot/shops. Once you can effectively pirate everyone's ships go looking for fights. And plan your route using node path view (off by default) as dying to a dead end sucks.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Far Cry 2, picked it up again on a whim and it's quite terrifyingly clever/good. Ten hours in, I'm able to start noticing the subtle changes taking place within both the game world and the player. The horror, the horror.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I keep getting tempted by A Machine For Pigs and/or Outlast, and I don't know why. I am not a fan of this kind of disempowerment as a game mechanic, I don't agree it's the only way to do effective horror and I partly gave up on Amnesia because going back over sections and knowing what's going to happen doesn't really strike me as particularly scary. Jump scares and nothing but are not much to celebrate, and sans "HO NOES, A MON-STER" there doesn't feel like there's much game in there.

Not trolling, at least not as regards A Machine For Pigs, I really am curious as to whether I'd enjoy the same general concept more when presented as an interactive short story, so to speak. But I thought Dear Esther had largely mediocre, over-ripe prose at best, so... shrug.

Playing Remember Me, since I remembered (sorry) I'd still not been back to it since the first chapter or so. It's really not that bad, though it's disappointing such astonishing art direction and music couldn't be put to use in anything more than a fairly simple brawler. The fighting's interesting, once you spend a little time with it, though I'm still astounded they couldn't configure their system to let you use anything more than pre-set combos. There's some depth to it, but far, far less than I was hoping for. And let's not even go into the letdown the memory remixing turned out to be.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Far Cry 2, picked it up again on a whim and it's quite terrifyingly clever/good. Ten hours in, I'm able to start noticing the subtle changes taking place within both the game world and the player. The horror, the horror.
    It should have been one of gaming's and Ubisoft's greatest achievements. But those checkpoints and the respawn system in general.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    It should have been one of gaming's and Ubisoft's greatest achievements. But those checkpoints and the respawn system in general.
    No problem with the checkpoints to be honest. They’re central to the conceit really, they’re a catalyst for the hatefulness and experimentation and shifting power relationship between you and the environment which is fundamental to the nihilistic mercenary premise. I hated them at first but then realised that this is a game entirely about power as manifested through futile violence. You clear a checkpoint, you kill everyone there in a variety of blunt and brutal means, it achieves nothing in the fullness of things, but you do it anyway, because it’s intoxicating and it’s the only agency you have in a world which adheres to those same laws.

It is to the game’s immense credit that people, myself included, think that it should be more than that due to the implied real world narrative. By the same token it is indicative I think of just how little FPS’s and war-games say about war and violence that as soon as a game creates a world which seems believable that we are surprised that we might have to kill people rather than talk to them, and that a game about war in East Africa is grinding, nasty, and a mixture of repetitive violent actions punctuated by moments of sheer adrenaline.

They’re also quite varied too; some are little guard posts with only a few guards that you can prey on, others are outright fortresses which can tip the balance from player power to powerlessness in a matter of seconds. You can scout them out from afar and quietly slip round them, or you can drive straight into the middle of them, blow up your jeep, set fire to everything and make it a testament to exquisitely managed slaughter.

That’s the game really, no matter where you go, or what you do. In a game which is trying to simulate the part of a mercenary seeking employ in a confused War in the Developing World, what else should it look like? I'm frankly very glad there is no smooth or progressive narrative arc applied to such a reprehensible and tragic context. It is one of the few videogames in existence which has the balls to suggest that violence is destructive and pointless while still demonstrating its very real allure. That is one fucking impressive achievement.

Weirdly, for all its creators earnest desire to make a similar point all that Far Cry 3 did was basically erase all of that in favour of making the series "fun" again, substituting the points the gameplay and core elements FC2 made by simply pointing and shouting and talking at length about the seductiveness of violence to make an empty observation barley worthy of a student just back from Gap Year
    Last edited by sonson; 13-09-2013 at 01:24 PM.