Page 861 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 361761811851859860861862863871911961 ... LastLast
Results 17,201 to 17,220 of 22638
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    No problem with the checkpoints to be honest. They’re central to the conceit really, they’re a catalyst for the hatefulness and experimentation and shifting power relationship between you and the environment which is fundamental to the nihilistic mercenary premise. I hated them at first but then realised that this is a game entirely about power as manifested through futile violence. You clear a checkpoint, you kill everyone there in a variety of blunt and brutal means, it achieves nothing in the fullness of things, but you do it anyway, because it’s intoxicating and it’s the only agency you have in a world which adheres to those same laws.

It is to the game’s immense credit that people, myself included, think that it should be more than that due to the implied real world narrative. By the same token it is indicative I think of just how little FPS’s and war-games say about war and violence that as soon as a game creates a world which seems believable that we are surprised that we might have to kill people rather than talk to them, and that a game about war in East Africa is grinding, nasty, and a mixture of repetitive violent actions punctuated by moments of sheer adrenaline.

They’re also quite varied too; some are little guard posts with only a few guards that you can prey on, others are outright fortresses which can tip the balance from player power to powerlessness in a matter of seconds. You can scout them out from afar and quietly slip round them, or you can drive straight into the middle of them, blow up your jeep, set fire to everything and make it a testament to exquisitely managed slaughter.

That’s the game really, no matter where you go, or what you do. In a game which is trying to simulate the part of a mercenary seeking employ in a confused War in the Developing World, what else should it look like? I'm frankly very glad there is no smooth or progressive narrative arc applied to such a reprehensible and tragic context. It is one of the few videogames in existence which has the balls to suggest that violence is destructive and pointless while still demonstrating its very real allure. That is one fucking impressive achievement.

Weirdly, for all its creators earnest desire to make a similar point all that Far Cry 3 did was basically erase all of that in favour of making the series "fun" again, substituting the points the gameplay and core elements FC2 made by simply pointing and shouting and talking at length about the seductiveness of violence to make an empty observation barley worthy of a student just back from Gap Year
    I'm not naming any names, but somebody's thinking too hard about this.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @sonson

I wish I saw it your way, I really do. Everything the game does is a wonderful work of gaming but the sheer banality of the respawn and checkpoint system destroys the entire process.

Everytime I get sucked into the game world, bam.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm not naming any names, but somebody's thinking too hard about this.
    Postmodern world dude, Truth is relative.

Or to quote Principal Skinner-"I don't know any more. All I know is that no-one is better than anyone else and everybody is the best at everything"

Or to quote Principal Skinner-"I don't know any more. All I know is that no-one is better than anyone else and everybody is the best at everything"
    @khaz-Fair enough that you don't! It's just my experience, and I'm glad to have had it, but if the checkpoints irritate you then they irritate you which is entirely fair enough.

Edit: Sorry for double post

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Took me a week to get Rome II working. It wasn't worth it.

Got Fallen Enchantress in the mail today. Mandatory steam activation, 12 min installation, Stardock want me to register with them too.

*Rocks back and forth* games. Just let me play. Please?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    My attack on British Isle was a failure in Empire: TW. A full stack of my best soldiers with three big cannons and two mortars attacked London which had a full stack and there was almost a full stack in local port.

The assault started with my cannons destroying walls killing dozens of enemy soldiers creating two paths into enemy territory. Mortars just shot randomly at everything. After quiet long bombardment I moved my units into breaches. A single unit of Elephants vs militia in confined space of the breach resulted in hilarious slaughter of those poor defenders. Enemy decided to threw most of its forces on those elephants so I did the same. Second breach was more quiet and after quick battle my forces entered the inner territory and began moving towards the flag.
    The slaughter was massive with enemy units slowly dieing and my superior forces slowly getting land but enemy's push was relentless, preventing me from capturing the flag.

20 minutes into battle I noticed that my general is fighting. I left him behind in forest.... exactly in path of reinforcements. Unfortunately he died quickly when there was still eighteen bodyguards. That was first failure which cost me greatly. Still there was hope and my units were gaining more and more ground inside but the flag position was constantly under attack from enemy stopping the countdown. The enemy defending capitol apparently will fight to the last soldier and will not route.

Around 600 remaining soldiers on my side finally managed to kill off original enemies in first breach and go help units fighting over the flag. It was too late and reinforcements were moving towards the flag too... soldiers fell left and right but there was no hope. the timer dropped at one point to 15 seconds but after that it never dropped under 1:30.

I lost the battle but it was one of the funnest moments in TW series I had experienced. Thought I'll share it with you.

This week I have been mostly playing: Planet Explorers.

My god, it's brilliant fun and it's still only alpha. I spent the whole of this morning designing a VTOL and a poorly envisioned tron lightcycle with the in-game designer.
    Steam: Darkmalice (the evil smiley one)
    Check my YouTube Channel here

Finally got through the first level in Völgarr the Viking today, took some hard work but it was well worth it.

The feeling when I downed that first boss was a nice reminder of why difficulty matters in these easy mode days.

If you like 16-bits games and hard as hell 2D action/platform then you should be playing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmalice View Post
    This week I have been mostly playing: Planet Explorers.

My god, it's brilliant fun and it's still only alpha. I spent the whole of this morning designing a VTOL and a poorly envisioned tron lightcycle with the in-game designer.
    Ooh I should be playing that, I have access to the alpha but can't find the time to dive in such a massive game this month :o
    Last edited by Choca; 13-09-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Didn't know that "Völgarr the Viking " was alraedy released :o

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Didn't know that "Völgarr the Viking " was alraedy released :o
    Released yesterday for Kickstarter backers like me, a few hours ago on GOG.com and a few minutes ago on Steam.

Have you been smoking up?

I thought bears hated forest fires.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Have you been smoking up?

I thought bears hated forest fires.
    Dont tell anyone this but

I'm not actually a bear

I'm not actually a bear
    Oh. Ohhh.

Is the bearsuit itchy? Isn't it too hot to be walking around like that?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Oh. Ohhh.

Is the bearsuit itchy? Isn't it too hot to be walking around like that?
    Can be a little bit irritating at times but really breaks the ice at parties. Or anywhere really.

And I live in Edinburgh, so it's not nearly warm enough sadly. Gonna have to go double bear soon.

Messing around in Kairo, which is neat (I love the architecture), but deserves an evening where I can concentrate properly and also have the sound on. Like most games, then, unfortunately. I have a decent amount of "free" / not productively used time but little quality gaming time.

Also, the above conversation is the kind of thing that keeps me on these fora, in case anyone wants my opinion. Thanks for the free entertainment.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Lesser Hivemind Node

I'm not actually a bear
    RAWR. Imposter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    *Impawster.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Holy shit Castlevania : Lords of Shadow story is so epic but i wish the gameplay was better. Same shit happened with Soul Reaver games,great story and on other hand gameplay was so-so.

Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    RAWR. Imposter.
    You type good English for a supposed bear. Not convinced.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Your icon is a bear but your name is for a character based on Sun Wukong who is a monkey god.

WHAT ARE YOU REALLY