Page 865 of 1184 FirstFirst ... 365765815855863864865866867875915965 ... LastLast
Results 17,281 to 17,300 of 23667
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sonic lots of words Transformed has gotten tricky now that I've gotten my Class A license. I'm guessing the game proper begins here.

Can I get a quick piece of Shogun 2 advice? When I start I have a couple of neighbours, one of whom is hostile and one of whom isn't. According to my objectives I need both of their land to win the game. With the non-hostile one, if I try to keep on good terms until I'm ready to take them out (short of an alliance) is that going to impact me diplomatically later when I declare war? Should I try to trade with them or not?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    Sonic lots of words Transformed has gotten tricky now that I've gotten my Class A license. I'm guessing the game proper begins here.

Can I get a quick piece of Shogun 2 advice? When I start I have a couple of neighbours, one of whom is hostile and one of whom isn't. According to my objectives I need both of their land to win the game. With the non-hostile one, if I try to keep on good terms until I'm ready to take them out (short of an alliance) is that going to impact me diplomatically later when I declare war? Should I try to trade with them or not?
    Been a while since I really got into a Total War, so it is possible things changed, but here are the general rules of any 4x/"grand strategy" game:

Diplomacy is great. If you can't win a diplomatic victory, do what you can to avoid multi-front wars until you can afford them, at which point fuck everyone else.

So I would try and stay on good terms with your deader. Trade agreements, etc. But, more importantly, focus on diplomacy with your other neighbors so that when you ARE ready to go to war, you don't get completely surrounded by death.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post

Depending on your faction you will lose a lot of Honor if you betray an ally. If you've been very honorable that won't be game breaking but it will make things tougher, no question. The more you expand the harder it becomes to be friendly with people as well, so on the harder difficulties it only takes two dishonorable acts to put you in a negative position with neutral factions before trying anything like trade or alliances.

I'll tell you two creative ways of getting round it. Become whatever religion they aren't, incite religious rebellions, cause an uprising which will boot them out of their town and then invade yourself and keep the peace by taking it back for yourself. If your agent gets caught you'll get a diplomatic penalty but nowhere near as big as reneging on your alliance.

Alternatively assassinate your way through the clan til they cease to have any family left. If you navigate the family tree properly you could even marry into the family and inherit their lands after doing so.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    If you did the first tower defence, you've done every mandatory tower defence. Just don't let your infamy or whatever they call it get too high for long and you'll be fine.
    Good to know S. I'll bear that in mind.

The rest of it... I sort of wish there was some way that the settings could have been swapped around. I feel brotherhood is a bit too long for just pondering around a setting you've largely explored (renaissance italy) whereas revelations, which is lovely and new, is comparatively short.
    They could probably of lopped off a sequence of ACB for sure and be none the worst for it in terms of people feeling satisfied with the game length. If ACR is shorter in truth I'm OK with that. I've got AC3 to dig into afterwards and my understanding is that's pretty substantial.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Between two consecutive(!) days off and unexpected windfall, I never really stood a chance against GTAV. Driving ~8 hours a day in flood season all week might've turned my brain to mud.
    Last edited by sabrage; 17-09-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Been playing Dogfight 1942 which is very much a console port; very basic settings and a rather important graphical error, namely that trees don't show up, but you can still crash into them. This makes certain missions practically impossible.
    It also runs way more poorly than it should.

Aside from that, it has the same problems as Air Conflicts: Secret Wars (which is the better game) in that it can't just leave you to shoot things, but must interject a cut scene every two minutes (and killcam every three seconds) and in that it just has to have stealth missions and fly-through-this-canyon-for-way too-long and stuff. Which is even worse in the case of Dogfight because they didn't bother to give you any decent indicator of how far you are from the ground. That leads to a lot of needless crashes (maybe the invisible trees would have given you a clue, if they weren't invisible).

It's a shame because when you're left to actually play the games, they're quite fun, in a very casual way. Good for relaxing.

It's been a while since I was in a position in Minecraft where I was in the deepest underground reaches, surrounded by horrible monsters, kilometers of tunnels between me and where I started and with nothing but a hunch on how to get back, with a pack full of loot, in danger of starving and desperately scavenging for food in the occasional chest I'd come across. That tension is still one of the best things about the game.

Network Hub
    I've been largely absent from this thread for a few months, but i thought I’d start posting again. Played an awful lot of games in those months, cleared some of my backlog by completing Bastion, Hotline Miami, Trine, Little Inferno and Avadon: The Black fortress.

Recently I’ve finished Shadowrun and The Walking Dead. Which were both brilliant games that had me hooked from beginning to end.

The Walking Dead really hit me, i know some of the thrills were cheap in that making a tough decision only gave you two variations of shitty to pick from. But what really made it stand out was just how astute Clementine was, being that most child characters are patronising at best and annoying at worse. Clearly alot of work had gone into characterisation. Which made the DLC all the more disappointing! It was too short for so many characters, come on Telltale you can do better than that!

Shadowrun was good Solid Sci-fi/Fantasy fun. It was everything I remember about the Pen and Paper games in spirit, all condensed into a isometric, turn based, classic RPG. Loved it. Can't wait for the Berlin campaign. In the meantime could anyone recommend any of the user made modules?

Currently I'm rope swinging my way across what has to be the prettiest game ever in Trine 2, satisfying my loot itch with Torchlight 2 after finishing the latest Borderlands 2 DLC, and getting my ass thoroughly handed to me (again) in the RPS Frozen Synapse league. But after Shadowrun I've got an itch for a turn based, isometric RPG again. I was going to play Temple of Elemental Evil with the final Circle of 8 modpack, but I’m not sure its out yet. But I did notice that, finally, after all the ups, downs and trials got the final episode of Winter Voices is out today. So I’m going to give that a shot, I know when it was released it was a buggy mess, but for the last few years I’ve been following its progress and I think that the game deserves a shot as the developer got it back on track, listened to its fan base and made good on their promise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    It's been a while since I was in a position in Minecraft where I was in the deepest underground reaches, surrounded by horrible monsters, kilometers of tunnels between me and where I started and with nothing but a hunch on how to get back, with a pack full of loot, in danger of starving and desperately scavenging for food in the occasional chest I'd come across. That tension is still one of the best things about the game.
    Agreed. I've been in that situation hundreds of times and it still works on me.

Maybe it's time to get back to it. I've barely visited my server for five months or so...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Yeah, those moments are fantastic. If that happened more often, and if there was more reason to get yourself into those situations, I'd still be playing Minecraft.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hack Slash Loot (it got cards added) again - my first go I bounced-off it a bit but I gave it another go and - erm - is it supposed to be ridiculously hard? First game I didn't even get out of the room - next game last a bit longer but I found NO health items and so died - next game LOADS of health items but tough monsters so died - next game I had 'friendly' help who randomly turned on me and I died... !>?!???!???!?

Mark of the Ninja - I didn't really get this when I played the 360 demo, but dearie me does it open-up to one masterpiece of a game - there's almost nothing not to like - it encourages experimentation and variation and replay - it's fantastic to look it - it's rewarding - the difficulty is bang-on - amazing scenes...

Reus - I wasn't sure what to make of this other than 'very pretty' but it's really quite nice, it's more puzzle than 4X/God game but it's a puzzle with some many variables that it has elements of strategy titles - and it looks fantastic the whole time. Not sure about the long-term with it - I suspect it might get a bit punishing or samey but I've enjoyed-the-hell out of it so far.

I was going to play Temple of Elemental Evil with the final Circle of 8 modpack, but I’m not sure its out yet.

I think it is; there is certainly a recent version that was new to me. But I couldn't get it to run on my laptop. I've found this with other GOG games; it's probably something simple to fix, but I get distracted easily.

Thing about Winter Voices was that the gameplay was frustrating and tedious. I really liked the premise.

Agreed with the love for those bits in Minecraft. I couldn't build anything, never lasted past a few days, but those night noises, the panic as a creeper rears up in front of you... that stuff was great.

I'm playing the newest version of Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn, the super Civ4 mod. I have a stupid ridiculous amount of uncontested land to expand into so I can just relax, sprawl out and enjoy all the cute stuff. Very restful. I can't deal with Civ5, it just doesn't have that pleasure of information gathering. Getting rid of all the demographics, the top 5 cities etc. was a terrible move.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh - and - I got back into Dead Island which had faded from my 'todo' list after just an hour-or-so of play - so I just started-again with the female 'stabbing weapons' character and I have 2 questions

1 - stabbing weapons are shit aren't they? With upgrades and extras the ONLY stabbing weapon's I've found (diving knives) do almost no damage and leave me open to loads.
    2 - why does the story CGI keep calling me 'he' and 'him'??(*)

(*) which reminds me - The Walking Dead Ep2 - resurrected the person I'd let die (the woman) in the drugstore - erm?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Oh - and - I got back into Dead Island which had faded from my 'todo' list after just an hour-or-so of play - so I just started-again with the female 'stabbing weapons' character and I have 2 questions

1 - stabbing weapons are shit aren't they? With upgrades and extras the ONLY stabbing weapon's I've found (diving knives) do almost no damage and leave me open to loads.
    2 - why does the story CGI keep calling me 'he' and 'him'??(*)

(*) which reminds me - The Walking Dead Ep2 - resurrected the person I'd let die (the woman) in the drugstore - erm?
    Stabbing weapons are shit but slicing weapons are the best ones in the game, so you just have to wait out a period of loot poverty and then you'll find you're actually quite powerful. In the interim, kick! Jump kicks reliably knock zombies down, and you can invest in a skill that lets you stomp them to death in one hit when they're on the ground. This will also save you a TON of money in repairs.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Alternating between Diablo III and Rayman Legends. Anyone else notice/bothered by the fact that Legends seems an awful lot like a free-to-play game? Scratching off tickets that don't give you a reward until/unless you get enough lums to somehow get a lucky ticket is really obnoxious, and it seems like the game should be pointing me toward its (ever-so-convenient!) in-game store.

It's obviously not F2P, but it's got some of the ickiness of such a title. Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    2 - why does the story CGI keep calling me 'he' and 'him'??
    The cutscenes usually do not match up with the character you are playing. A lot of cutscenes show all four characters and speak about you in plural, even though you are playing alone.

Finished Metro Last Light last evening. I liked it, it was a very good shooter with several moments of brilliance. The tense moments with the spiders were brilliantly done, the atmosphere in the whole game was great, excellent shooting mechanics.

My only complaints are the amount of hand holding (about three out of the nine hours it took me to finish the game), it's brevity (nine hours), lack of real challenge on normal difficulty level (I ain't paying for a difficulty level dlc) as I thought it was much easier compared to Metro 2033 and the relative pointlessness of the hub areas which offered only shops and a glimpse of life in the metro in a completely linear fashion.

Regardless of the above complaints, I really did like the game and enjoyed it very much. One of the best shooters this year.
    Last edited by TheDreamlord; 18-09-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Obscure Node
    I am playing Dragon Nest and Sleeping dogs. Slept for 3 hours a day. *yawn*

Played 30 minutes or so of Medal of Honour and it was enough, especially after recently playing BF3.

So i'm now playing Anno 2070 - started the campaign just the get hold of the mechanics. There is too much hand holding to provide any sort of challenge, so I will start the continuous play as soon as I feel ready.

Also playing Game of thrones and it seems like a fine RPG, but a bit "clunky".

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Yeah, those moments are fantastic. If that happened more often, and if there was more reason to get yourself into those situations, I'd still be playing Minecraft.
    It's not so much that there's a reason for it, it just... happens. Oh, let's look what's at the bottom of this ravine. Hey, a mineshaft, let's see what's down there. Oh a dungeon, I'll put my junk in this chest and put down a furnace and a crafting table. Wait, where was that ravine again?

The recent updates have made the mineshafts more interesting compared to the beta, but if you're going down there for a reason other than a compulsive urge to explore ALL the tunnels, the best thing you'll pull out of there is diamonds and possibly emeralds, and those lose their shine after a while. Metaphorically speaking.