Page 870 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 370770820860868869870871872880920970 ... LastLast
Results 17,381 to 17,400 of 24120
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by zaript View Post
    I mostly stuck with Rome 2 multiplayer spiced by occasional Wargame and EU4.
    In general, with RPS, I'm firmly in favour of them writing about whatever the heck they please, and only covering the games that interest them personally. Apparently this attitude breaks down for me regarding Wargame: Airland Battle, which I am somewhat hypocritically frustrated they never wrote about. RTS is one of the core PC genres since Dune 2 and C&C, effectively forever. It has stagnated somewhat in recent years, with few titles and few new ideas since. W:AB is a well put together, fun RTS that breaks some really interesting ground and feels fresh. It just seems like huge hole in PC coverage not to talk about it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Dodging homing projectiles in Sonic Transformed with a deft boost feels goooooood. It's the best Kart racer, since the blue shell in Mario Kart 64 ruined the genre.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I do love the blue shell equivalent- drop a swarm of GIANT WASPS that every player, including the one who released them, has to dodge through.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, it did the last 15 minutes wrong and everything else was basically solid best in the series moments from start to finish. As much as fucking up the ending is worth the criticism, I feel it really unfairly overshadows the rest of the game in a way the weak endings of most games that exist get a pass on.
    I go it after the Extended Cut in case that matters, but I was actually ok with the ending. I don't feel like it was overwhelming to the experience at all. I understand exactly why people were frustrated and I see a number of ways they could have improved it ... but I guess I always thought the reapers were the worst part of the games and even Mass Effect 1 had a kinda-shonky ending. I actually really appreciated having an ending that didn't include a boss-fight for one thing. As long as they were going to force me into one of three box endings, they didn't do a terrible job connecting it to the admittedly kinda awful fictional space already occupied by the Reapers.

But again, I get why people were so upset with the quality execution. It didn't bug me, but I totally get it. The kid was kinda weird and annoying, Control felt like the only "good" choice (to me, reading about pre-extended I can see why people would have seen that as a "bad" ending) though Destroy made sense at least--synthesis was out of left field and the writers clearly thought it was "good" but it didn't make any sense and didn't seem like Shepard's call. The "you have to die for endings X and Y to work" thing was a bit arbitrary, but one of them (two if you count the maybe-maybe not death on the third ending) still kinda made sense in the pseudo-science spiritual magic setting. The middle one didn't make sense at all though ... that should have resulted in a living shepard.

What I don't get is why people felt having a limited-choice ending was out-of-place, or why people felt that (extended cut at least) their choices up to that point were rendered irrelevant by the endings. I'm curious what you thought was so over-shadowingly terrible about it--or is it things I've already mentioned but they just mattered more to you than to me?
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Dodging homing projectiles in Sonic Transformed with a deft boost feels goooooood. It's the best Kart racer, since the blue shell in Mario Kart 64 ruined the genre.
    Sure, if you're lucky enough to have a boost or be near a boost pad when a homing projectile approaches. Also I don't think the blue shell ruined the genre, though the Sonic and Blur method of "giving the leader something nasty but totally doge-able" is much better.

Shunting in Blur is so much more gratifying that just about any kart-racer power up ever.

Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    I do love the blue shell equivalent- drop a swarm of GIANT WASPS that every player, including the one who released them, has to dodge through.

Huh ... I've never had to dodge wasps I put in place. They always avoided me. That happened sometimes when they weren't my wasps too--I think they only target the front-runners I just haven't figured out if it's 3 and up or 4 and up or what.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I could be wrong. I always dodge the darned things even if I dropped them. Maybe I'm conflating occasions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I achieved my goal with BAL. Thank you very much,now i only want to win Champions League with Real and i can stop playing haha.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Starting up Kingdoms of Hamalure, looks promising though it did just blue-screen my machine for the first time in a while. Aside from that it could be good fun.

9/10

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Starting up Kingdoms of Hamalure, looks promising though it did just blue-screen my machine for the first time in a while. Aside from that it could be good fun.

9/10
    Heh. It isn't anything special, but I do like going back to it every few weeks. And the class system is nice in that it encourages you to experiment and reroll whenever you want.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Heh. It isn't anything special, but I do like going back to it every few weeks. And the class system is nice in that it encourages you to experiment and reroll whenever you want.
    Yeah! I mean, it definitely didn't change the world, but it was a nice game, it had a good, solid feel to it, a chunky and colourful aesthetic, and lots of spells and different kinds of weapons to play about with.

Apparently Burnout: Paradise will not start when it cannot play the unskippable intro videos (i.e. the EA and Criterion logos). Thank you, Burnout. So considerate of you to not let me play without making absolutely sure I was aware that this game is made by EA and Criterion.

Then once the intro is over and I've told the game for the fifth time that I do not want to log into my EA account and that I do not need any help getting online, I can choose my car, which is also a painfully slow process that requires the car in question to first drop into view (takes about four seconds per car) before I can press Enter to choose it. About three seconds after that it asks me to confirm that car, and after another three seconds it finally puts me on the road. Probably underestimating how long it takes. It is irritating but quickly forgotten once you're driving. I crashed 300 out of 400 fences already!

I'm revisiting Hotline Miama, they recently released a version running on their own engine. The gamemaker one crashed constantly for me. This new version seems to work perfectly so far. Achievements seem very tempting all of a sudden. Usually I don't care, but they suit the repetitive nature of the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Sure, if you're lucky enough to have a boost or be near a boost pad when a homing projectile approaches.
    You should pretty much always be power sliding, or boosting because of power sliding.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    You should pretty much always be power sliding, or boosting because of power sliding.
    This. Console Mod Vyse is kinda game-breaking once you figure out how to steer his rocket-on-wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Apparently Burnout: Paradise will not start when it cannot play the unskippable intro videos (i.e. the EA and Criterion logos). Thank you, Burnout. So considerate of you to not let me play without making absolutely sure I was aware that this game is made by EA and Criterion.
    You can, however, hack out Axl Rose's war crime of a high note.

Activated Node realitysconcierge's Avatar
    Card Hunter. I'm in one of those gaming droughts where barely anything interests me, but card hunter is casual enough that I can start it up and be as involved as I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    This. Console Mod Vyse is kinda game-breaking once you figure out how to steer his rocket-on-wheels.
    Console Vyse and Console Gilius are the best characters in the game IMO. Handling doesn't mean anything once you get used to switch drifting and acceleration isn't a big factor if, and it's a big if, you can avoid crashing while doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    The best way to drift?
    Use a "LEVEL 3 BOOST!"
    Thus a cycle occurs, perpetual boosting is essentially the high level game.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Well, I'll reserve judgement then. You have given me confidence that there is indeed a fair bit more to learn as I get better. Onwards! Hopefully I'll agree with you folks as I improve.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    In general, with RPS, I'm firmly in favour of them writing about whatever the heck they please, and only covering the games that interest them personally. Apparently this attitude breaks down for me regarding Wargame: Airland Battle, which I am somewhat hypocritically frustrated they never wrote about. RTS is one of the core PC genres since Dune 2 and C&C, effectively forever. It has stagnated somewhat in recent years, with few titles and few new ideas since. W:AB is a well put together, fun RTS that breaks some really interesting ground and feels fresh. It just seems like huge hole in PC coverage not to talk about it.
    It seems Jim feels same way as you:D

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...eems-generous/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I GOT MY SECOND BEST EUROPE PLAYER AWARD IN A ROW. FUCK YOU MESSI,FUCK YOU RIBERY!

iuiuiui