Page 883 of 1186 FirstFirst ... 383783833873881882883884885893933983 ... LastLast
Results 17,641 to 17,660 of 23711
    Activated Node
    Alright, I'm having a hard time choosing my next game to play after having finished Papers, please...(The most interesting game I've played in an incredibly long time)

a) Dishonored
    b) Fallout 3(I truly haven't played it yet)
    c) Deus Ex 1 (again, I truly haven't played it yet)
    d) STALKER
    e) Mirror's Edge

Any suggestions?

Deus Ex
    Dishonored
    Stalker
    Mirror's Edge

In that order

Well I always have trouble taking my next game too. What I found to be a good choice is to play something really different.... Or a short game. In your case you could pick several.

I've finished 3 of those games. Tried STALKER and didn't like it and never completed Mirror's Edge because I was stuck near the end and started playing something else. (still on my to do list)

Maybe you should play Mirror's edge first. It's fairly short. Then maybe Deus ex (I think you should mod it beacause textures are really dated in the original version).

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Let me expand on my post:

Deus Ex should be first. Most of the other games owe much to it so playing it afterwards would be weird.
    Dishonored is a nice follow up to Deus Ex. Taking a lot from it while improving and streamlining (for better or worse) many things.
    Then STALKER is nice to see the other spectrum. A game that's much complex and deeper than Dishonored. It'll be a nice contrast to it while still being games that share some philosophies.
    And then break STALKER's slow pace with Mirror's Edge awesome first person parkour.

I haven't played Fallout 3 so I can't comment on it.

Activated Node
    Yeah, i guess it's about time I play Deus Ex... Will probably do that after checking pcgamingwiki for the available Mods... Thnx guys!

Graphical mods:
    New Vision
    Project HDTP

Gameplay mods:
    Shifter <-mayor gameplay overhaul
    There was another mod that was more about gameplay optimization and didn't have so many changes. It was great if you wanted a closer experience to the original but I can't remember its name.

Total Conversions:
    The Cassandra Project <-Kieron Gillen was involved in this short mod and you can tell by playing it. It's an amazing thing.
    Zodiac <- I played the first releases of this mod and were quite well made. Great if you want more Deus Ex
    The Nameless mod <-It's a monster of a total conversion. I have yet to play it so I can't comment much on it.
    And of course The Malkavian mod

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Giving my PC backlog some thought now I've got rid of my PS3 (again. For good this time!). Finally trying to sink some serious time into Alan Wake - I watched my best friend play a good deal of it back when MS were trying to convince people it was the reason to buy a 360, and I've had the PC version a while but never played more than the opening hour or so.

Up to chapter 4 and, yeah, it's a very silly game, rather hamstrung by its change of hardware platform... I normally hate the whole OH GOD THE CONSOLE PEASANTS HAZ STOELD OUR GAEM schtick (Halo is/was still brilliant, whatever features it lost) but poor mister Wake really does suffer for the switch. You can see the traces of what it could have been, like phantom limbs flailing around, and what's left isn't great either. Simple third-person action with constant stupidly contrived ambushes and arena fights against foes that move many times faster than you, instantly flank or surround you, frequently take ten or fifteen seconds to finish off and can kill you in a fraction of that.

At the same time you can still see Remedy's DNA in here - the TV broadcasts, the script, the cinematic touches - and god damn it still looks surprisingly good several years on. For all the frustrating nonsense this game pulls and the repetitive combat I still get spooked by it - there's still no other "horror" game of any kind that's pulled off something quite like the forest in Alan Wake just before another wave of Taken attack. It's not great by any means, but it is still pretty good, if you're in a forgiving mood.

(Though I can't stop Ellie Gibson's review from worming its way into my head whenever a vehicle section turns up. That truck? It does. It really does. -_-; )

Finished Stalker: Call of Prypjat. Last area is really small compared to Zaton and Jupiter so I was a bit surprised that it ended so quickly. Still the best ending of the Stalker games. From the mechanics I liked CoP the most, whereas I enjoyed the gameworld of SoC a bit more, as all the parts were clinging together. In CoP Zaton, Jupiter and Prypjat are only reachable with the help of a NPC. Just did not feel as connected and believable. But still only a minor issue.

Having completed the Stalker series now I rate them like this: CoP - SoC - CS.

Started playing Jamestown. Almost finished the game with my friends when it came out over a year ago, but we did not beat the final boss. So I went on a one man mission to finally defeat him. Took me around five hours till I made it. Now I am trying to beat the Challenge levels (7 completed till now) and trying to unlock the Judgement difficulty. Great game overall.

Also started with Bit.Trip presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien. Already in the third chapter. The stages themselves seem a bit easier compared to Bit Trip Runner, but the new graphics make it a bit harder to spot all the obstacles. Still fun. Recommended if you enjoyed the first game.

Haven't really played something since Bioshock last week. I guess I am gonna play trine 2, played one level yesterday. It's such a lovely game, even if the gameplay is a bit redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Played as Clinkz in training and holy shit this little skellington hits HARD. he dies in a couple of stuns and dusts but I managed to get about 39 kills in a single game in the latest playthrough. I lost that match but still, 39 kills man.

I'm starting to think dual wielding in Torchlight is pretty much superflous unless your weapons shoot fast. otherwise, why trade it with a strong crossbow that hits harder with better bonuses anyway? I do quite like collecting pistols OTOH and when the stats and bonuses are good, swapping seems to be a good idea
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

@EightRooks: Interesting to see you kind of like Alan Wake. My only experience with the game is watching a Let's Play playthrough (one episode at a time during lonely, lonely dinners) and I have to say that it looked pretty bleak - in a bad way. The combat mechanics were pretty repetitive and just watching the player "channeling" beams of light on enemies to make them vulnerable was a sensation of nearly physical pain. So slow, so unexciting, so repetitive.

Storywise there might be a couple of interesting ideas here and there, but since Alan comes across as a huge jerk I had a hard time to sympathise with him at all. Could very well be that playing the game yourself is more engaging, but I from watching the playthrough I was surprised to see how a lot of people praised the title.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    @EightRooks: Interesting to see you kind of like Alan Wake. My only experience with the game is watching a Let's Play playthrough (one episode at a time during lonely, lonely dinners) and I have to say that it looked pretty bleak - in a bad way. The combat mechanics were pretty repetitive and just watching the player "channeling" beams of light on enemies to make them vulnerable was a sensation of nearly physical pain. So slow, so unexciting, so repetitive.

Storywise there might be a couple of interesting ideas here and there, but since Alan comes across as a huge jerk I had a hard time to sympathise with him at all. Could very well be that playing the game yourself is more engaging, but I from watching the playthrough I was surprised to see how a lot of people praised the title.
    I certainly wouldn't blame you for wondering what on earth people see in it. It feels bizarre to play it - every thirty seconds you end up swinging from OMG SO TENSE to "Jesus Christ, why the hell am I still bothering with this?" and back again. Edge put it quite well, I think, saying that the basic idea strikes you as fantastic and innovative and all the rest of it... but in practice your reaction is more likely to be "Oh for Chrissakes, surrounded and beaten into the floor again" and yet for some reason you can't quite stop admiring it, just a little bit. RPS' review touched on similar themes. Remedy are just committed enough to the idea of banishing the darkness with the power of liiiiight to have you thinking "Awww, yeah!" every time you lower a Taken's defenses, but at the same time you can never quite silence the little voice at the back of your mind pointing out "A magic flashlight? Seriously? And does it always have to take this bloody long to work?"

I think the lighting effects, the particles, the mist, the smoke and the wind still look hugely impressive even with the fairly low poly count and the 360's smeary textures. I like the gung-ho pulp theatricality of it all, even if it fails to match Max Payne 2's mix of the sublime and the ridiculous. Yes, the game frustrates me a great deal (lazy, slapdash level design, repetition, blatantly unfair matchups against over-powered enemies etc.) but enough of that atmosphere and those narrative hooks filter through to the experience of actually playing it (running away from a nightmarish, dreamlike foe, trying to work out what the hell is going on, wry self-mockery) that I want to keep going nonetheless. It's horribly flawed, but none of those flaws rates as a dealbreaker, or at least they haven't yet reached that point for me.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 08-10-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Finished the Mass Effect 3 DLC Citadel last night. As I noted in the screenshots thread, it has all the charm we've come to expect from the Mass Effect universe, but I wasn't completely convinced by the package BioWare put out.

The DLC is split into two major chunks: the action and the shore-leave party. Both are fun enough, but while the first is hampered by a ridiculous story and full of 4th-wall breaking jokes, the second never goes much beyond the level of a cute, but shallow, fanfic. It doesn't help that you ultimately don't really have all that much control over what is purported to be 'your' Shepard, and that the lack of action surrounding the interaction brings out all the limitations of the dialogue-tree system. Anway, it's very self-contained and I suppose it's best to treat it as a stand-alone 'Remember Shepard's Good Times' story than anything really related to Mass Effect 3.

The addition of the battle simulator on the Citadel doesn't really interest me, but I wouldn't call it bad either. Its multiplayer-like score hunting is just not my cup of tea, but the basics work fine. It seems to me you can get the same thing from the actual multiplayer.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Obscure Node Precious Sufferance's Avatar
    Been playing some Card Hunter, which is absolutely brilliant. Haven't really touched the multiplayer yet, but the campaign is ticking all the right boxes for me. The whole tabletop feel is done exceptionally well, and the story about the game master, his brother and the pizza girl is surprisingly deep.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Precious Sufferance View Post
    Been playing some Card Hunter, which is absolutely brilliant. Haven't really touched the multiplayer yet, but the campaign is ticking all the right boxes for me. The whole tabletop feel is done exceptionally well, and the story about the game master, his brother and the pizza girl is surprisingly deep.
    Is there a tutorial? I'm tempted by it at the moment.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Is there a tutorial? I'm tempted by it at the moment.
    Yes, there is an introductory tutorial level.

A pretty large chunk of the main campaign is F2P, as is the multiplayer. One could debate about the game being pay-to-win, as club membership (which is basically a premium account) doesn't net you better but more loot, which translates into more money or better chances at getting better loot. Very solid gameplay though if you can wrap your head around the rules for movement/hand composition.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Graphical mods:
    New Vision
    Project HDTP

Gameplay mods:
    Shifter <-mayor gameplay overhaul
    There was another mod that was more about gameplay optimization and didn't have so many changes. It was great if you wanted a closer experience to the original but I can't remember its name.

Total Conversions:
    The Cassandra Project <-Kieron Gillen was involved in this short mod and you can tell by playing it. It's an amazing thing.
    Zodiac <- I played the first releases of this mod and were quite well made. Great if you want more Deus Ex
    The Nameless mod <-It's a monster of a total conversion. I have yet to play it so I can't comment much on it.
    And of course The Malkavian mod
    That's some helpful stuff right there. Thanks! One question: Would you recommend the shifter mod for a first playthrough?

And also, the New Vision Mod is absolutely amazing... That's quite the improvement!

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I certainly wouldn't blame you for wondering what on earth people see in it. It feels bizarre to play it - every thirty seconds you end up swinging from OMG SO TENSE to "Jesus Christ, why the hell am I still bothering with this?" and back again. Edge put it quite well, I think, saying that the basic idea strikes you as fantastic and innovative and all the rest of it... but in practice your reaction is more likely to be "Oh for Chrissakes, surrounded and beaten into the floor again" and yet for some reason you can't quite stop admiring it, just a little bit. RPS' review touched on similar themes. Remedy are just committed enough to the idea of banishing the darkness with the power of liiiiight to have you thinking "Awww, yeah!" every time you lower a Taken's defenses, but at the same time you can never quite silence the little voice at the back of your mind pointing out "A magic flashlight? Seriously? And does it always have to take this bloody long to work?"

I think the lighting effects, the particles, the mist, the smoke and the wind still look hugely impressive even with the fairly low poly count and the 360's smeary textures. I like the gung-ho pulp theatricality of it all, even if it fails to match Max Payne 2's mix of the sublime and the ridiculous. Yes, the game frustrates me a great deal (lazy, slapdash level design, repetition, blatantly unfair matchups against over-powered enemies etc.) but enough of that atmosphere and those narrative hooks filter through to the experience of actually playing it (running away from a nightmarish, dreamlike foe, trying to work out what the hell is going on, wry self-mockery) that I want to keep going nonetheless. It's horribly flawed, but none of those flaws rates as a dealbreaker, or at least they haven't yet reached that point for me.

For me the story was pulp fiction but it seemed to embrace that as to create that atmosphere. I think its a beautiful game and I loved travelling it.

When it came to the combat I really enjoyed it. It was a combat system where all the variants were quickly understood which may have put off some. I on the other hand really enjoyed it because in a perfect system it all relies on your skills and mistakes made were part of the progress of learning. It never felt like a grind for me so I finished it while pretty much ignoring the story.

Alan Wake had nowhere the reception of Max Payne 3 but its combat was far more nuanced than Max's shooting gallery approach. I enjoy both though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Oisman View Post
    For me the story was pulp fiction but it seemed to embrace that as to create that atmosphere. I think its a beautiful game and I loved travelling it.

When it came to the combat I really enjoyed it. It was a combat system where all the variants were quickly understood which may have put off some. I on the other hand really enjoyed it because in a perfect system it all relies on your skills and mistakes made were part of the progress of learning. It never felt like a grind for me so I finished it while pretty much ignoring the story.

Alan Wake had nowhere the reception of Max Payne 3 but its combat was far more nuanced than Max's shooting gallery approach. I enjoy both though.
    Again, I wouldn't entirely disagree, but I'd struggle to call Alan Wake's combat that nuanced. There is skill involved, but things are just so heavily weighted towards the Taken it's not the deciding factor it ought to be. They spawn, they surround you within a couple of seconds, they move many times faster than you (stop telling me to run, game, it's effectively impossible), they take a huge amount of specific attention to finish off (five seconds is huge when you've got five or six other enemies trying to gut you at the same time)... can you do well if you use skill? Sure! But rather than spinning around trying to push them back one by one with that awful camera it's arguably much easier to just die, work out where they spawn, how far they'll follow you and then just funnel them down a narrow channel and/or spam flares. Still frustrating, but much more efficient. (EDIT: It's uncomfortably reminiscent of Max Payne 1 & 2 in that sense: Remedy sure do seem to like designing combat systems that seem to invite quicksave spam, or the equivalent thereof.)

I think you could say it's more interesting than Max Payne 3's combat in many respects, but it's nowhere near as polished. Things like the ridiculous wind-up on the dodge - you need to trigger it what feels like nearly two full seconds before they actually hit you - and the disorientating camera sway when you pull it off just speak of style over substance to me, not so much nuance. I genuinely want to keep going, and not in the horrid grind towards the finish line that GTA V turned into, say (or yes, Max Payne 3, if not quite as badly). But - if we can refer to American Nightmare's extra modes - I'm not exactly foaming at the mouth to try this combat system as an arcade high score chase.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 08-10-2013 at 05:16 PM.