Page 884 of 1134 FirstFirst ... 384784834874882883884885886894934984 ... LastLast
Results 17,661 to 17,680 of 22676
    Quote Originally Posted by luukdeman111 View Post
    That's some helpful stuff right there. Thanks! One question: Would you recommend the shifter mod for a first playthrough?

And also, the New Vision Mod is absolutely amazing... That's quite the improvement!
    Personally I like to get my first playthrough as vanilla as possible in any game. Even though Shifter adds lots of nice stuff the game is still great without it.
    Let's see if someone else has an opinion on this.

There is also biomod that further changes gameplay (it adds things like ledge grabbing, pickpocketing and more augs and skills balancing)

Also if you feel like tinkering: http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/ <-DX10 Rendering and other nice stuff

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Again, I wouldn't entirely disagree, but I'd struggle to call Alan Wake's combat that nuanced. There is skill involved, but things are just so heavily weighted towards the Taken it's not the deciding factor it ought to be. They spawn, they surround you within a couple of seconds, they move many times faster than you (stop telling me to run, game, it's effectively impossible), they take a huge amount of specific attention to finish off (five seconds is huge when you've got five or six other enemies trying to gut you at the same time)... can you do well if you use skill? Sure! But rather than spinning around trying to push them back one by one with that awful camera it's arguably much easier to just die, work out where they spawn, how far they'll follow you and then just funnel them down a narrow channel and/or spam flares. Still frustrating, but much more efficient. (EDIT: It's uncomfortably reminiscent of Max Payne 1 & 2 in that sense: Remedy sure do seem to like designing combat systems that seem to invite quicksave spam, or the equivalent thereof.)

I think you could say it's more interesting than Max Payne 3's combat in many respects, but it's nowhere near as polished. Things like the ridiculous wind-up on the dodge - you need to trigger it what feels like nearly two full seconds before they actually hit you - and the disorientating camera sway when you pull it off just speak of style over substance to me, not so much nuance. I genuinely want to keep going, and not in the horrid grind towards the finish line that GTA V turned into, say (or yes, Max Payne 3, if not quite as badly). But - if we can refer to American Nightmare's extra modes - I'm not exactly foaming at the mouth to try this combat system as an arcade high score chase.
    It's true that certain areas will make you quit and call it a night with the game. If you take a break from it the challenge should pull you back in the next day or so.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Oisman View Post
    It's true that certain areas will make you quit and call it a night with the game. If you take a break from it the challenge should pull you back in the next day or so.
    Heh, I pretty much am taking it a little at a time already. I don't think that means there's not really any problems with it - I think you should be able to play most truly amazing games for hours and not get bored or annoyed. But, at the same time, I do agree that stepping back from it for a bit helps me remember the things I like about it.

I'm playing ARMA III, diablo 3 and hawken.
    Playing ARMA is actually, learning ARMA:)

I just finished Arkham Asylum (yeah yeah, a little late to the party) with 100% of the Riddler challenges and now I'm starting on Arkham City.

Kind of wary that playing both back to back might get me burned out on the series... on the other hand, that could also be a good thing if it convinces me to wait for a Christmas Sale on Arkham Origins.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    So Sid Meier's Ace Patrol is really good. Really really good. There's a lot of content, and the gameplay is very well done. I feel like I'm playing Red Baron, only without a joystick and with no need for reflexes.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    So Sid Meier's Ace Patrol is really good. Really really good. There's a lot of content, and the gameplay is very well done. I feel like I'm playing Red Baron, only without a joystick and with no need for reflexes.

Thanks for this! You just reminded me that I bought this game, and also, that I read about the Steam Achievement crash being fixed. Going back to this tonight after work, as it really is excellent!

Other than Ace Patrol, currently playing:

-Bioshock Infinite. Bought for $13.59 in the recent sale. And I must say, as linear shooters go, its quite good. Excellent in places. Great gun play, and the sky rails are fun. The vigors are varied and while not needed as such, are fun to use. Highly recommended, but would wait for a sale price.

-Firefall Beta. I don't know what it is with this game. Its repetitive, and a little grindy. The devs claim open beta. Really, its more what you would expect from an open Alpha, just with (slightly) more to do than the usual alpha. Character wipes are long over and I get a bit of open world, and a jetpack right from the get go. Plus, they've got the Heavy Gunner (Dreadnaught), Sniper classes, bunny hopping AoE, standard FPS Combat Rifle class...if you like to play it in a shooter, its probably here. Sure it gets repetitive if you play long enough at a stretch, but I have found in small doses two or three nights per week that Firefall is quite the fun game to play, made all the more so by the whopping investment of Zero Pennies.

Bionic Dues!
    Shitty title - awesome game!
    From Arcen Games this is a Rogue-lite (think Dredmor) with a Battletech / mech type theme and Drox Operative style loot upgrades. Very fucking addictive! Can't understand why I hadn't heard of this one before now.

Which type of game is it? I looked at the Steam page, but that didn't make me much wiser. It looks sort of like strategy with possibly some hands on fighting?

Been Playing jak and Daxter on the vita, the first one. i am in the spider cave. I hate that place, it's really hard. I finally gave up on some of the power cores there and I am going to collect the ones I need for the lava tube elsewhere.

Still a really good platformer.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Version 0.13 of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup - in my eyes the undisputed queen of roguelikes - is live, and for those who enjoy such things the tournament starts this weekend. There's a new race, the gargoyle, new layouts for the main dungeon and branches and plenty of other changes. I'll probably be spending a fair chunk of the next fortnight trying to nick high-scores on obscure and lesser-played combinations.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Which type of game is it? I looked at the Steam page, but that didn't make me much wiser. It looks sort of like strategy with possibly some hands on fighting?
    No, it's turn-based tactics, pretty much, no real time dogfighting at all. You control a small squad of WWI fighter planes on several different types of missions (destroy enemy squads, protect bombers, destroy trains, etc.) Every turn you decide on a maneuver (climb, dive, bank right, immelman, loop, etc.) as you try to take down the opposition (you shoot automatically if your maneuver puts you in a position to do it, and then your effectiveness depends on height, angle, speed, etc.).

You get upgrades, and as your pilots rack up kills they learn new maneuvers. There are 4 lenghty, semi-random campaigns, the game is cartoonish and pretty and it has that "WWI air war was really about flying knights" vibe, just like Red Baron. It's a bit sanitized (downed pilots don't die, they just remain unavailable for a few missions).

I know I'm not doing a good job of describing it, but it's excellent fun if you like turn-based games, I swear! Also, here's Tim Stone raving about it as well.

I know I'm not doing a good job of describing it,
    A lot better than the Steam page. Thanks.

but it's excellent fun if you like turn-based games, I swear! Also, here's Tim Stone raving about it as well.
    I'd completely missed that article, somehow.

hm. I guess I should have bought it when it was on sale.

hm. I guess I should have bought it when it was on sale.
    It's only €5...

...but yeah, it's on my to-buy-when-on-sale -list too.

Still Knock-Knock. Four playthroughs later and I'm still not quite sure how everything works.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    It's only €5...
    yeah, but even that is too much right now. Though, if I can sell a few more cards, there's a chance.

Network Hub
    yeah, but even that is too much right now. Though, if I can sell a few more cards, there's a chance.
    I remembered it existed in this thread, was looking for a lowfi game to play on my gpu-friend laptop and bought it this afternoon. It's exactly what I wanted. It might get repetitive but I'm sure I'll play it a good 10-15 hours, it's cheap (5€ !) and it's entertaining and easy to grasp and fun and I've got a lot of things to do before I'm fed up with it.

It's not the game of the century but damn it's really really good and I love the small animations and I cheer when I'm in a position to do a crazy manoeuver that completely destroys an enemy plane and I like it when I get to use the Ace "MEGAROLL SUPER CRAZY DODGE MOVE" manoeuver that saves my ass while making me feel like I'm the greatest fighter in the world.

Heartily recommand this game ! (thanks Faldrath !)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The Bureau: XCOM Whatever.
    Lovely atmosphere, until you face the shitty aliens. I hate their design, it was boring and generic in last year's strategy and it's even worse here.

The gameplay is worse than the first Mass Effect's. Shooting is deeply unsatisfying. That would be OK if it weren't for the completely retarded agents you have to babysit. They keep peeking out of cover while enemies fire at their position, charge straight through enemy groups... It's unplayable. Every alien is made out of adamantium and the weapons lack accuracy. I have to Forrest Gump my way through the battlefield in search of ammo whenever I face more than five enemies.

I really like the world because it's as beautiful and detailed as I expected from BioShock 2's creators. I could wander around the levels, find collectibles and talk to people all day long. The action part of the game is a complete disaster... And now it started skipping lines during conversations. They're not even subtitled.

Got it for 8 pounds on SimplyCDKeys. I regret the purchase.
    The XCOM FPS looked like the best thing in the world. I don't really mind the change to a third person game, and I could live with bad action (I mean shooting at black goo looked bad even back then so I wasn't expecting much). Unfortunately it's ruined by the shitty Firaxis alien design, atrocious AI and bugs.

The FPS version would have been a thousand times better. Shame they didn't release that stream of the game under a different label (ie X-Files: Roswell Conspiracy etc) and continued on with it. Looked like a far superior game to what ended up.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    I'm currently playing Knock-Knock. I like the games surreal horror feeling.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?