Page 889 of 1204 FirstFirst ... 389789839879887888889890891899939989 ... LastLast
Results 17,761 to 17,780 of 24073
    beaten Lugaru, back to Overgrowth.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    D' Awww : )

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Iíve been watching a GTA V Letís Play here and there the past fortnight. It looks a lot more fun than GTA IV but that of itself wouldnít take much doing. I get the impression that I wouldnít get that much more from playing it personally than watching it. The voice acting and cut scenes, though massively derivative, are perfect for what they are, it really does look good (especially given the tech) and the level of systems operating simultaneously are incredible, but you donít need to play the game to really admire those I donít think. I think itís probably a good game, itís just after all the hype and enthusiasm calling it that makes it sound like a terrible one.

Contrast that to Sleeping Dogs, which I started last night on the back of it being cheap at the weekend and some pretty substantial praise on here. While offering nowhere near as impressive an exercise in world building is a lot of fun to play due to its focus on mechanics.

I wasnít looking forward to the focus on hand to hand combat but I think itís the best of the third person combat brawlers Iíve played. Better than Batmans, even, perhaps because of your comparative fragility. Thereís a surprising degree of tactics to it, it you just kick and punch like a mad man you go down quick, took me some getting used to. M and KB didnít really work though so switched to a pad. The controls feel a little floaty maybe but theyíre fine.

It feels like something of an anti-GTA in that the scripted stuff is strong and varied, but at the expense of size and open world detail, which is fine by me as Iím not inclined to go for an in game bike ride or make porridge or go to college and sit exams or whatever the new living life vicariously through open world game experience might be.
    I think it is more that everyone is using GTA3 as their starting point.

GTA3 (and, to varying degrees, VC and SA) really didn't have anything to do outside of the missions other than randomly blow shit up or collect packages. There were activities, but they were pretty limited.

GTA4 decided to "fix" that by "building a world". It was the kind of game where you would "live the life of a criminal" by going out on dates with women or "to the titty bar" with your cousin. From my limited experience with GTA5, it feels like they largely view the missions as "a necessary evil" with respect to worldbuilding and letting people "immerse" themselves.

Sleeping Dogs decided to focus on those core missions and just say "fuck it" to the rest of the world, to the point that I don't think anyone would complain if it were just a mission-based game where they give you a car at the start of every level and tell you to get to the awesome scripted parts. Sort of like Mafia 1 before it.

Then there is Saints Row which, starting with 2, just said "Fuck it" and decided to focus on the zany and explosively awesome stuff (Red Faction: Guerilla took a similar approach, but kept its sanity). Again, the missions are the primary focus, but they pretty much all exist to give you fun shit to blow up the open world with.

Personally, I think The Saboteur and GTA:San Andreas had the best takes on it. They were very mission oriented, but they also had a world that was fun to explore and where the exploration felt like you were accomplishing something. And The Saboteur, gratuitous nudity aside, had a REALLY beautiful visual style.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Playing Mafia 2 and can't stop thinking how Mafia 1 had such a memorable missions. From stealing a race car to make it slower,to racing on the track on the same mission. Then assassinating hotel manager,girl who let the information out and planting bomb! Picking up shipment in the country,then realizing its a trap and fighting your way out of there. Stealing documents from prosecutor's safe in Oak Hill and many many more.

Damn i'm going to reinstall this game after i finish mafia 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Misplaced this earlier. The curse of tabbed browsing!

Played a bit of Mass Effect 3 over the weekend. I suppose I was wrong about the combat simulator on the Citadel, which I earlier compared to a lesser version of the multiplayer. It's still true to some extent, but the scoring meta-game combined with the higher difficulty and options to tweak the combat stats of your own party and the enemy makes it a good laugh. I'm now done with all the missions there, so we'll see how long it stays interesting without any real goals.

I also restarted the game with a ME2-only character I had lying around. After some YouTube watching I decided to stick with English as the voice-over language. As much as I'd like my Shepard to be 'different' from what I'm familiar with, I can't get used to seeing the other established characters speak with a different voice.

For all the complaints I have about this series, it has to be one of the more impressive attempts in gaming to create a 'universe' of its own.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    There's a health bar in the top right hand corner which flashes anytime it gets down to about 20%
    Sure, but it's so small! And there are no audio cues either I think?
    Since it doesn't take a lot of bullets to empty the health bar (even if you have armor), you can get wiped out too easy without noticing it at all...

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Personally, I think The Saboteur and GTA:San Andreas had the best takes on it. They were very mission oriented, but they also had a world that was fun to explore and where the exploration felt like you were accomplishing something. And The Saboteur, gratuitous nudity aside, had a REALLY beautiful visual style.
    The Saboteur is great, but I don't seem to get more missions from some moment on, no matter how much I walk around. Such a shame, as it's really fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyB View Post
    Sure, but it's so small! And there are no audio cues either I think?
    Since it doesn't take a lot of bullets to empty the health bar (even if you have armor), you can get wiped out too easy without noticing it at all...
    So I'm not the only one who finds GTA games really difficult? I mean, I suppose I haven't really played them as much as most people, maybe 20 hours total.

I didn't complete not even one GTA game hah,the farthest i came was with San Andreas. Otherwise i found GTA 3 very hard at the time when it came out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I got Divinity II in that recent bundle. So far it's been surprising me with deeper and deeper layers of weirdness hidden inside what initially seems like a fairly ordinary RPG. I'm dreading the inevitable moment when the Plot becomes too Serious and Epic and no longer has room for stealing all the bread from someone's house and then helping them find their purse, but perhaps it will surprise me by never reaching that point either.

Note: if you spend the first 9 levels maximizing lockpicking and mindreading, the extra-special items you are just sure you'll acquire as a result will not be nearly numerous or powerful enough to make up for your abysmal dearth of combat abilities...Thankfully, I also have the most powerful ability that any real-time-combat RPG hero can have -- the ability to shoot arrows while running backwards!
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    I got Divinity II in that recent bundle. So far it's been surprising me with deeper and deeper layers of weirdness hidden inside what initially seems like a fairly ordinary RPG. I'm dreading the inevitable moment when the Plot becomes too Serious and Epic and no longer has room for stealing all the bread from someone's house and then helping them find their purse, but perhaps it will surprise me by never reaching that point either.

Note: if you spend the first 9 levels maximizing lockpicking and mindreading, the extra-special items you are just sure you'll acquire as a result will not be nearly numerous or powerful enough to make up for your abysmal dearth of combat abilities...Thankfully, I also have the most powerful ability that any real-time-combat RPG hero can have -- the ability to shoot arrows while running backwards!
    Heh. I found being an archer got a bit weak, but I hear that once you get the explosive arrows it is basically game over.

And Divinity 2 is pretty good about never getting serious. Larian were smart about that. When things got too dark, they either gave you snarky dialogue or whipped out Bellagar.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    DRAGON COMMANDER seems rather easy on Normal difficulty.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    But yeah, consider my thumbs pointed upward. I'll be your vice-president of the Trine fanclub.
    Don't bother ...bunch of elitists! pad ownership and usage is a requirement for membership :P

Quote Originally Posted by realitysconcierge View Post
    Also dipping my toes back into Don't Starve since I noticed it has controller support now.
    Does that work well or it's just another "oh OK now I can play it on the couch too" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Beat the main campaign in Trine 2. Well now. That was an aggravating final boss, but thankfully not even close to the nightmare that was the final level in the first game (which I never did finish).
    I managed to finish it without too much swearing on Normal on what was my first complete playthrough. I was a horrible at it, so you can definitely do it, too, assuming you want to.

the visuals don't hold up as well as you'd think in closeups.
    On a sidenote, the beauty of the Trines is a testament to the power of shaders, lighting and animation, it rarely ever looks as stunning in stills than it is live.

a puzzle it never really feels like "Whoo! Look what I can do!", it's more a case of "Oh. Uh. I guess that worked. Was I supposed to do that?" - and yet the sheer range of possibilities the toolset affords is consistently fascinating.
    It's actually so wide that it can be baffling, both of them could do a vastly improved job of making the player aware of all the options they have at their disposal. As mentioned a long time ago, I was really wowed the first time I watched a video of an experienced player. I was like "seriously you can do that?! I'd never thought of it".

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    I have moved on to Portal 2, thanks to a 90% discount coupon. My god, is this game BRILLIANT.
    It is extremely well written and extremely well designed at the same time. That seems a very hard feat to pull for 99% of games.

...me? I've gone completist on Trine 1. I was only missing 3 or 4 achievements for collectibles, then I did Survivalist and now playing the whole game from scratch on Very Hard. It's doubtful that I will ever finish it, but it's been good fun so far.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    I was frankly disappointed with Portal 2. I loved the story, characters but the gameplay? It was such a letdown compared to Portal 1.
    It was so extremely linear. You could not mess around with portals like you could in first game. There was pretty much one solution with each step being predicted by designers.
    First game had plenty of spaces where you could put a portal allowing you some very creative solutions to presented problems. It also contained challenges like completing it as fast as possible or with the least amount of portals.
    that stuff is not possible in second game. Everything is restricted...

therefore the game is only decent. Definitely not brilliant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    I was frankly disappointed with Portal 2
    The real Portal 2 is the coop, single player was a pathetic thing, be sure to play it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    piss off with your referral links.

[aforementioned referral link post deleted ~Berzee]
    Last edited by Berzee; 15-10-2013 at 03:06 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Im playing some sim city 4 and some latale, mostly to chat with friends

Say what ever you want but i'm quite enjoying Mafia 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Say what ever you want but i'm quite enjoying Mafia 2.
    Yeah, I don't really see peoples problem with it? It was quite fun! And visually, it was a treat throughout. A very atmospheric city, especially in winter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    I was frankly disappointed with Portal 2. I loved the story, characters but the gameplay? It was such a letdown compared to Portal 1.
    It was so extremely linear. You could not mess around with portals like you could in first game. There was pretty much one solution with each step being predicted by designers.
    First game had plenty of spaces where you could put a portal allowing you some very creative solutions to presented problems. It also contained challenges like completing it as fast as possible or with the least amount of portals.
    that stuff is not possible in second game. Everything is restricted...

therefore the game is only decent. Definitely not brilliant.
    I was disappointed with Portal 2 as well, but I don't understand your reason for being disappointed. Portal 1 was also quite linear and short of exploiting bugs in the physics engine there really isn't much you can do that's "creative" no matter how creative it feels. I would argue, instead, that the puzzle design in Portal 2 (co-op excepting) is simply easier. It feels more linear because you aren't learning new mechanics and the game is afraid of frustrating players--rightly so, it's a difficult thing to balance. Portal 1 was teaching players to think with an entirely new set of mechanics while Portal 2 tried to squeeze that part into a shorter time scale so as not to be overly boring for returning players which meant they also had to make later puzzles easier than would be ideal since new players got less time to grok the systems than they did in portal 1 which has the side effect of making returning players feel a little more bored and ... well ... it's a mess.

It was a tough design challenge, and they decided to paper over their good-faith attempt with writing and voice acting and general charm. Which, for a lot of people, worked perfectly. For me? The lackluster something-for-everyone puzzle design left me feeling left out whereas in Portal 1 the entire game was an impeccably designed tutorial for the last few puzzles--which was great becauseI was at the appropriate skill level for the pacing the whole portals thing being new to me.

Co-op saw some real puzzles. Real clever stuff that felt more like Portal 1 in the design space of Portal 2--new mechanics and all--and with a second player to account for. It taught you at a good pace, and introduced genuinely befuddling challenges that made you feel like a creative wizard for solving them even though you were figuring it out pretty much exactly how it was planned.

Very few puzzles actually allow for "creative" solution. This is the nature of a puzzle. It has a small number of valid solutions. It's difficult to create an environment in which puzzles are practically solvable, challenging, and allow for "creative" solutions. Space Chem is a nice example of such an environment.

But in general, that's not how puzzles work. Creative people might be better at solving them, but the solutions are carefully designed. Intended. It makes for a poor puzzle if it's too open ended! Exceptions such as Space Chem aside. Some puzzles have multiple solutions of varying "difficulty" but good designers tend to avoid that trap--one player's difficulty is not another's and your "harder" "more creative" puzzle solution might just be giving half your player base an easier shortcut to the "proper" solution. Sometimes it's better to just let that same half find some of your puzzles easy in their entirety rather than cripple all of your puzzles.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 15-10-2013 at 03:26 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0