Page 899 of 1139 FirstFirst ... 399799849889897898899900901909949999 ... LastLast
Results 17,961 to 17,980 of 22770
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
    Hi, I'm a random lurker.
    Not anymore :P
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Not anymore :P
    Do'h!

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    If true, then... nah, that's just horribly, horribly clumsy, not to mention ridiculous. Collectibles are objectively not good foreshadowing, end of discussion, not when everything else about the narrative has no relation to them whatsoever. Doesn't change that the English writing was laughably bad, either.
    Yes, it was still a terribly executed story.

If my post count rises above 20, who knows what will happen!!

*Goes back to lurking*

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    I started playing Dota 2 a short while ago. I really like it and look forward to playing with you guys.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I love Borderlands 2. This loot hunt thing got me back into it, I took a long break after my third UVHM playthrough and 550 hours of play so now I'm completing the DLC as Krieg, who is quite possibly my favourite character as I play solo most of the time. I'm up to the Leviathan in the Captain Scarlett DLC. It has to be the very worst boss I've ever fought in a game; it just sits there spamming various attacks and to make things worse there are smaller worms that spawn and can do me in pretty quickly. The boss immediately before it was a piece of piss, this one is just annoying because not only is it shit, it's also far more difficult. It probably doesn't help that my Krieg is very much melee only.

Apart from that, well, at least that DLC is pretty short. I managed to get up to the Leviathan in an evening, so I'd guess 3 hours or less.

This is the reason I eventually gave up on Krieg as well as Zero. Both of them are so heavily focused on melee that their special abilities just feel...disconnected...somehow. From the rest of the game. I mean, here we have a game with a major selling point of "bazillionty" guns, featuring cover mechanics, sniping, the whole enchilada.

And then you create a character whose special ability is to beat people to death. It just feels...lazy, somehow. Which is a shame, as I quite liked Krieg himself, and his monologue, etc. But playing with him just feels...disjointed, somehow.

Now if only Gearbox could figure out that what make Borderlands games tick is the stuff IN BETWEEN the annoying bosses, and not the gimmicky bosses, well, that too would be nice.

Currently at chapter 14 in Shadow Warrior. Man this game is long! Most of the stages are massive and not like Bioshock Infinite's empty corridors, but full of action. It is thoroughly enjoyable!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Played the opening of Arkham Oran- I mean Origins, and, well, hmmm. Hmmmmm. Doesn't feel like the disaster some angry internet people were predicting (in general, not necessarily here): it's a very, very nice looking game, one which starts ticking off all the boxes in short order. On the other hand, that feels like something of a warning sign - there's definitely a sense even barely an hour in that this is a covers band going through the motions. A talented covers band, but a covers band nonetheless. This introductory stretch is basically Arkham City 1.2 in all but name and on top of that a lot of the lip-syncing is indeed laughable (though not all, strangely), animation is sometimes glitchy and imprecise and the first (mini-) boss fight was bugged to hell (first time everything except the UI vanished, second time the boss kept flickering in and out of existence and the sound cut out but I still managed to finish the fight).

It feels promising, and I do certainly want to keep playing, even though I'm much less a fan of the franchise than a lot of people here - so maybe other people will really like it? At the same time I'm already getting a sense of "What am I doing here, exactly?" that's difficult to shake off, even if I can turn PhysX on without an Nvidia card (admittedly that was a nice touch).

Started Path of Exile last night... Made 4 characters before settling for a Duelist called Lucian Swiftblade.
    It's the kind of game where I'll spend more time on the forums looking for a a build than playing it... Think I am gonna enjoy that :P Already thinking if I should go Sword and shield of Ambidextry... And Should I make my way to blood magic... So many choices :P

I only played till level 5 but I alreay like the mix of FF7 materia system and FFX Sphere system.
    So far It's the best ARPG I've played for a while. (EDIT: oK it's a bit to early to say :P
    Last edited by Drayk; 25-10-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Playing a few things at once right now:

How to Survive comes from a place of weird design, it's an ARPG without active skills, a rubbish skill tree, a bolted on survival system and a pretty in-depth crafting system. It kind of works in that you end up juggling the desire to collect everything (for crafting) with the need to retain survival basics like food, water and a light source. It also has an obnoxiously poor tutorial that seems to go on forever.

Path of Exile is a game that I want to like more than I do - the fact is planning out builds on the insane passive skill tree is mostly more fun than actually playing them. The combat is one of the most purely repetitive I've seen for a while in an ARPG -until the various charges/auras and manipulation of them come into play, it's mostly about hammering 1 or 2 buttons ad nauseum. But there is insane depth here and clever systems like the gems and skill tree mean it's worth sticking with, as it actually gets challenging later on.

Finally, I got a couple of hours of Arkham Origins in last night. It feels like the story is going to be the most interesting part of the game and so far it looks like it's going to stick very closely to the Arkham formula. I love the combat in these games though - it's easy to pick-up and pretty challenging to master. Although it's rare that the actual story requires you to do anything particularly difficult. Arkham City's most difficult and most entertaining content took the form of two free DLC maps that threw progressively harder and harder and waves at Bats & Co in a score-chasing exercise.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Cripes, I think unpacking the pre-load of Arkham Origins on Steam is taking longer than it would have actually downloading it after release.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Path of Exile is a game that I want to like more than I do - the fact is planning out builds on the insane passive skill tree is mostly more fun than actually playing them. The combat is one of the most purely repetitive I've seen for a while in an ARPG -until the various charges/auras and manipulation of them come into play, it's mostly about hammering 1 or 2 buttons ad nauseum. But there is insane depth here and clever systems like the gems and skill tree mean it's worth sticking with, as it actually gets challenging later on.
    Yeah, I do agree that the main problem with PoE is that early levels aren't very fun. The good news is that at least repeated playthroughs as you try new builds tend to get quicker, since you will have stashed gear from previous runs that makes your early characters more powerful.
    Last edited by Faldrath; 25-10-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Still Minecraft and I've even been actually building a little rather than merely filling up ravines, caves, mineshafts and old mines. So far my building looks like crap, though...

Also been looking at Xenominer (from the current Indie Royale bundle). It's seemingly quite like Minecraft in space, but air and power run out and have to be replenished and you can't move on the surface of the planet in the day because you get radiated then. That alone makes things pretty different. Then there's the lower gravity and the various machines you can build (there's apparently a programmable bot too, but I haven't found that yet), solar cells and such.
    So far I find it quite interesting. Except for the mobs; they're sort of dull and scary at the same time and killing them feels rather anticlimactic, but perhaps that's due to the rather weak starting pistol (you can make better weapons).

Major problem is that it's very much a console port when it comes to stuff like keybindings, for example. I don't think the devs are very used to playing on PC, otherwise they'd probably have made things work better (keypad keys can be rebound, but don't work. The X key can apparently not be changed, which makes things pretty awkward when you use the arrow keys for movement, and such). Also had a CTD.
    But it is a beta game, so things are likely to improve.
    Last edited by Similar; 25-10-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    This is the reason I eventually gave up on Krieg as well as Zero. Both of them are so heavily focused on melee that their special abilities just feel...disconnected...somehow. From the rest of the game. I mean, here we have a game with a major selling point of "bazillionty" guns, featuring cover mechanics, sniping, the whole enchilada.

And then you create a character whose special ability is to beat people to death. It just feels...lazy, somehow. Which is a shame, as I quite liked Krieg himself, and his monologue, etc. But playing with him just feels...disjointed, somehow.

Now if only Gearbox could figure out that what make Borderlands games tick is the stuff IN BETWEEN the annoying bosses, and not the gimmicky bosses, well, that too would be nice.
    That's why I like Krieg, a lot of people I know who have tried Borderlands 2 but haven't played for a significant amount of time claim they get bored because there's no real difference between the characters and how they play. I mean, jeez, there are huge differences between two builds of the same character, let alone between two characters. Krieg is the best demonstration of the variety between characters and personally I think if he was all about the guns then there wouldn't be enough reason to use him over the other five characters. After hitting level 61 with Zer0 and Axton and 50 with two Salvadors, Maya and Gaige, I've used Krieg more than anyone else since that DLC was released. But I am feeling like I want to be a medic again so I might start Maya's UVHM playthrough soon, the only problem being how UVHM scales (which is sub-idiotic, I hate it) and the fact that most people pick one character to max so finding other level 50s to start UVHM with at this point in time is probably not going to happen.

Edit: I picked up WRC 4 last night, I've been playing it today, it's really, really good. WRC 3 was already decent, but this is even better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, I can't speak for Zero, but Krieg isn't really melee focused. He is instead focused on staying in that sweet spot of "Okay, my health is low, but not criti-... Fuck". Your special ability IS melee (well, melee and throwing axes that fucking explode), but that is just a means to an end to murder everyone. I WOULD say Krieg is close quarters focused though, as his skills work best if you are constantly under heavy fire and murdering shit, so he probably should let all the other folks have the sniper rifles. But that just means you are going to get those "Use lots of bullets" badass ranks a lot faster.

And played a fair amount of Path of Exile last night (almost done Act 1, if memory serves). Richter_Eigen the Duelist (doing a build similar to a Blender). Still very fun.

Also, I think the devs made the Challenges for this league a lot easier. A lot of those are going to be hard to miss for people who actually play the game and won't require intentional grinding. And I have to say: I like the altars. They provide a nice challenge and a fun temporary boost.
    Last edited by gundato; 25-10-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    This is the reason I eventually gave up on Krieg as well as Zero. Both of them are so heavily focused on melee that their special abilities just feel...disconnected...somehow.
    While it's possible to build a melee focused Zero (and it's a fun, novel way to play to try and chain invisible backstabs endlessly) the character is by no stretch of the imagination "melee focused." Zero's ability is highly versatile, and has an enormous amount of utility for a pure sniper (which is how I've generally played him/her/it). The ability to turn invisible and disengage is invaluable, and the ability to use stealth to get huge damage multipliers on crits is also extremely valuable.

Actually, Zero's arguably the most versatile character in the game, in that his three skill trees really support three totally different styles of play (sniper, close range combat, melee stealth combat) and can be mixed and matched to suit. There's no reason to get pinned down, and since you can respec quite easily I find I change up my skill mix periodically just to keep the game fresh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    While it's possible to build a melee focused Zero (and it's a fun, novel way to play to try and chain invisible backstabs endlessly) the character is by no stretch of the imagination "melee focused." Zero's ability is highly versatile, and has an enormous amount of utility for a pure sniper (which is how I've generally played him/her/it). The ability to turn invisible and disengage is invaluable, and the ability to use stealth to get huge damage multipliers on crits is also extremely valuable.

Actually, Zero's arguably the most versatile character in the game, in that his three skill trees really support three totally different styles of play (sniper, close range combat, melee stealth combat) and can be mixed and matched to suit. There's no reason to get pinned down, and since you can respec quite easily I find I change up my skill mix periodically just to keep the game fresh.
    Yeah, I mean even the mechromancer, despite having a mechanic based around a specific mode of play, can spec down a totally different tree and not even bother with anarchy at all. Though it's a bit of a dull alternate option, since it's mostly 'let your bot play the game for you' and a resounding whatever to that idea. But yeah, you don't need to pidgeonhole based on character theme even if it seems the game is pushing you that way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I bought Euro Truck Sim2 so I'm likely to be busy awhile (rescuing random jackknives and swearing whilst reversing, mainly) but I note that Sanctum 2 is super cheap and wondered if there was a reason (other than new DLC) for this??

Some people have said it sucks compared to the first - anyone care to field that>??

I just got WRC4 and I really like it.

Otherwise the some old games, mainly MWLL and netKar:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    WRC games have, historically, suffered from 'trackball' handling (the car pivots around it's centre instead of feeling like it's on 4 wheels) - they've also been pretty punishing from a 'mistakes are game over' country.

Dirt's handling and it's use of the 'rewind' for me made rallying games 'make sense' - you are supposed to push HARD and they encourage that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    WRC has a rewind feature. I tried WRC4 for a bit, but my main probably with it is that force feedback is non-existent on my G27, which is very disappointing. Other than that it does seem a big improvement over WRC2 (the last one I played).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I've been playing that new game wot lets me be Batman.

So far I've beaten the second boss and as a Batman fanboy the game so far has made me squee far too much than any man should. The fight with Deathstroke was spot on and just so fun.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID