Page 906 of 1234 FirstFirst ... 4068068568969049059069079089169561006 ... LastLast
Results 18,101 to 18,120 of 24678
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Finally got round to trying Hitman: Absolution. Bought it some time ago for $7.50 in a Steam sale.

What an awful experience. I mean truly awful. Many actions - climbing, jumping, etc - are contextual only. Levels are tiny, constrained and very linear. The disguise/instinct system is...inconsistent would be the nice way to say it. Terrible, the more honest way to state matters.

All in all, a truly horrible experience. Didn't make it past the 90 minute mark. And I won't. Ever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Finally got round to trying Hitman: Absolution. Bought it some time ago for $7.50 in a Steam sale.
    I really enjoyed the sniper quest thing (you can get the key free if you own the game at gamespot or something).
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Arkham Oranges and the cleansed version of Arkham City. The combat in the older game is a tad more forgiving and some of the gadgets have been rebranded for the newer game but otherwise both are near identical. Which is not a bad thing. I'm enjoying myself very much.

I finished the Walking Dead game.
    I really liked it I think I would've enjoyed more if the game would've been more clear that character relationships are the interesting part of it instead of the story.
    I mean this because of all the hype and of course because of the disclaimer about "your story is tailored by your choices", which is a bit deceitful as the story is pretty much the same. Now character interaction and reaction to events is a different ordeal and it's where the game shines. I'd wish I had understood this earlier, as the first episodes felt weak. I felt like I was gaming the story. -"Oh, X character is behaving like an ass, so he must be right"; -"The game wants me to like this character, so he/she will obviously die or turn out to be an ass". Things like that.
    When I stopped caring about the overall story the game grew up on me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Resident Evil 6 - Chris campaign

THIS GAME IS FUCKING AWESOME!
    I'm playing on the easiest difficulty and with cutscene QTEs off. I also read this handy guide, since the game doesn't teach you anything.
    It is worth noting that on standard difficulty, even, you really don't need half of that stuff. It may well be handy but it does risk making the game seem overcomplicated when it's pretty much the easiest Resi to get to grips with ever.

Tried - well, bought - Lego Marvel Super Heroes and, hmmm, maybe should have given the demo a shot first, eh? The first couple of missions are technically excellent but I'm already annoyed with all the little things mentioned in the Wot I Think and the whole thing just feels weirdly flat. Too often it's got no more emotional impact than watching a child toy around in a (literal) sandbox - "Oh, that's nice, dear". I guess my inner twelve-year-old just doesn't thrill to the idea the game is permanently taking the piss - as I've said before, Zen Pinball's Marvel tables get my blood pumping in large part because even though the game clearly knows the subject matter is utterly ridiculous it treats it all deadly seriously, and it works. It just works.

I vaguely considered buying the Infinity Gauntlet and World War Hulk comics at one point, given how much I was enjoying the game, and then I saw what the comics were actually like and couldn't stop laughing. But then I go back to the game, and every time I hear "Earth's mightiest heroes shot me into space... I want to hear them scream!" the only response I'm capable of forming is "Awwwww yeah". I don't want to hear the same tired, plain ol' vanilla Saturday morning cartoon quips delivered with a knowing wink to camera, I want "The serpent's only strategy is slaughter. And slaughter he shall. Again, and again, AND AGAIN!" (from Fear Itself) delivered as if the actor was gunning for an Oscar, because in my head that's the only rational way to do justice to such brazen technicolour lunacy.

The videos I saw of the open world in the city did look fairly awesome, and I can see the scope and scale of the setpieces expands - Sandman was fairly cool, despite my cynicism. It's just... a little too un-threatening for my tastes, I suspect. We'll see.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luukdeman111 View Post
    Playing Tomb Raider(2013) right now.... I'm almost ashamed to say that I like it quite a lot... The level design is somehow very interesting eventhough you are railroaded through most of them. It just features some pretty stunning environments and I'm a sucker for that kinda thing. The documents you can find around the map are actually really interesting... They remind me of the Bioshock 1 audio logs so that is a good thing I guess
    Finished it a few days ago and also really enjoyed it! Neither the action nor the puzzles provided much of a challenge in general, but I liked both parts. I would've liked some more focus on puzzle platforming, but whatever. I also liked the story and the little info collectibles. However, I was seriously hoping that you wouldn't actually get to fight the Oni, but rather have some stealth segments with them. But I guess it wouldn't be Tomb Raider without Lara blowing some demon's head off. Beautiful game too!

And God, I appreciate when games provide benchmark tools! After a bit of tinkering, I got a great looking and silky smooth experience (some stuttering during certain cut-scenes, for some reason). TressFX really does make the hair look good, although there is some serious clipping going on and the physics aren't perfect. But it was kind of weird seeing Lara covered in dirt and blood, while her hair seems to have been taken straight from a shampoo commercial.

It's not my game of the year, but probably my most pleasant surprise thus far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    After a bit of tinkering, I got a great looking and silky smooth experience (some stuttering during certain cut-scenes, for some reason). TressFX really does make the hair look good, although there is some serious clipping going on and the physics aren't perfect. But it was kind of weird seeing Lara covered in dirt and blood, while her hair seems to have been taken straight from a shampoo commercial.
    Slip of the tongue there? ;)

I didn't like Tomb Raider 2K13 at all, but I admit I did like having TressFX switched on - it added a surprising amount of atmosphere for something that sounded pretty silly on paper.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Maybe its me - if popular game reviews are any indicator, it IS me - but its just not my day for gaming.

Tried Hitman: Absolution, Batman: AC, and Assassin's Creed III. All in the same day. I was able to do so, because frankly, all of them are terrible. I mean absolutely terrible.

Hitman is bad in every way imaginable. Narrative, mechanics, game play, level design. This game has not one single redeeming feature. AC III actually had me...not intrigued, but at least mildly curious, regarding the narrative. Too bad the game play is shite. Wonky camera, loose controls, poor responsiveness. And the animations and clipping...its like a Bethesda game. Which is a shame, as I did enjoy wandering Boston and petting animals, exploring the underground and such. Shame such a great effort at world building is wasted on the AC series.

As for Batman: AC...I know mine is the minority opinion here, but this game is terrible. Sure, the graphics are amazing. Truly excellent presentation. And the story is...interesting. But again, the actual game play...horrible. The camera induces motion sickness, and that's when you're playing as Batman. Good luck with the forced - and frankly, annoyingly unnecessary - Catwoman segments. And the combat...where did people get the idea that Batman's combat is even interesting, more less than it should be a template for melee combat in video games?

When I was 5, I saw my first Simon Says toy. The one with the four colored lights that would light up in turn. You would then press the same lights, in the order they lit up. It was annoying 30 years ago. So now...now, they've gone and adopted the same thing, except, as a combat system in a video game. Playing Batman games with an XBOX pad, you might as well be playing Simon Says, where combat is concerned. There isn't any difference. Literally.

Ahh well...back to Bionic Dues and a second playthrough of Dishonored. I need games that won't induce motion sickness with their game play, or stomach illness with their ill-conceived notions of "Narrative."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    And the combat...where did people get the idea that Batman's combat is even interesting, more less than it should be a template for melee combat in video games?
    I can confirm that in this one instance, it's not just you. BatCreed combat is shit.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I can confirm that in this one instance, it's not just you. BatCreed combat is shit.
    Thanks for confirming its not just me. Was worried there for a bit.

Ahh well...Bionic Dues is truly an excellent game. And perhaps I shall give some more time to Drox Operative as well. Indie Gaming saves the day!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    MWO

Finally got advanced efficiences for Raven-4x and then lost interest to it. Spider is much more fun even though it can't tank on its own at all. Still good at stealing kills and generally spreading chaos. Hunting big mechs in a pack of Spiders and Locusts is very fun but a rare occurance, sadly.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 03-11-2013 at 10:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I don't know why I'm buying games anymore.
    Battlefield 4 online simply isn't working. It refuses to connect 95% of the time, and when it does it keeps crashing or the sound cuts off. The beta was flawless.
    At least the campaign works but it's a shitty COD clone with 0 polish. Still a million times better than BF3's and BC2's.

*starts preloading CODGHOSTS*
    I know this is for BF3, but this fixed the audio bug for me.
    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...4347729882788/

Also reinstalling Punkbuster from the website cut out 50% of the crashes. Alas not the other 50%

There's a pretty active BF4 crew on the social club forums, if you fancy giving it a whirl when/if things get patched and fixed.

I love the game when it *actually* works. But this is my first manshoot for years, so I haven't got the military manshoot fatigue of many others :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Finished Arkham Origins. Semi-spoilery (no details, and everything is known from the first hour):

I think the biggest issue (aside from poor voice acting for Batman, the dude doing The Joker was competent enough) was that the writers just weren't sure what kind of story they were doing. The tone was all over the place. Sometimes it was trying to evoke Year One with Batman learning how to be Batman while the cops were after him. Other times it was your usual Arkham-game version of Knightfall. But the biggest issue was that the writers just didn't seem to understand how competent Batman should be. At times he is hyper-competent and awesome, other times he is "Stupid, I should have tied that guy up".

When the game is focusing on the Year One aspects, it is VERY good. When it is trying to be an Arkham Game, it feels very lazy and played out. Personally, I think they should have focused on the less fantastic villains (Black Mask was a very good choice in that regard) and keep the game focused on "Batman versus criminals as he learns his limits", rather than going for the usual "Batman against all the freaks" story. Stick with Black Mask, Bane (minimal venom), etc. Get rid of people like Firefly (although, kudos for finally putting him in a game that isn't on my NES :p), Copperhead, and ELectrocutioner. Deadshot and Deathstroke can go either way (I would have preferred they play up Slade's super-spy abilities rather than just making him a homicidal muscle), just keep them out of costume. That would have fit the overall story they seemed to have been trying to tell a lot better and would have given the game a sense of identity. Because it REALLY feels like a lazy cash-in (right down to all the Riddler puzzles being repeats).

Gonna hold off on BF4 until I install the new card. Started the ArmA 3 campaign. So far: BiS are back to form. Felt VERY much like OFP, but better (so it beats the crap out of all the ArmA campaigns), at least as of the first mission. More to follow as I continue the first episode.
    Last edited by gundato; 04-11-2013 at 03:38 AM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been simming a fair bit - TS2014 fulfills my train-driving wishes but the 'game' part of it is hilariously broken and best ignored (loads of scenarios don't work/have random errors or just give no reward for no apparent reason).

Still fun driving trains tho

Also played a fair bit of Euro Truck Sim2 - lovely thing to play but I find myself yearning for more challenge. I'd like to be parking my truck on a ferry (not just driving into an icon) - I'd like deliveries to sometimes be to container cranes or train yards with a bit of parking skill/queueing required.

I don't get why people want a 'just hit enter to park' option - much as I like driving around, it's the parking thing which makes the game most intersting!!
    Last edited by trjp; 04-11-2013 at 03:46 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rageof3kingdoms View Post
    I'm now playing Rage of 3 Kingdoms. It's the best strategy game I've ever encountered plus they just launch a new server which entitles you to win a Microsoft Surface Tablet. :) wOoHhOOo~!!

For more information on this game, do visit : <removed link for good measure :) ~Berzee>
    I have to wonder, do these tactics ever actually work? I mean, from what I can tell (other posts), this is a real person writing. I can't see this kind of post generating anything other than badwill, and if so, it's not only a waste of time and energy, but actually harmful to the game they're trying to promote. So why do these posts appear?

wOoHhOOo~??
    Last edited by Berzee; 04-11-2013 at 05:26 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Beat Path of Exile on normal....

Only died about 15 times on the first run of the last boss.... lol....

Killer fantastic game though, so impressed, and free to play at that. Absolutely blown away by the quality. Diablo 3 wishes it was half the game PoE is.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Still fun driving trains tho
    My man! Paxman Valenta = Peace,dude! Slowdown.

MRU: TS2014, The Path, Impire, Amnesia: TDD, OpenTTD, King of Dragon Pass, Ticket to Ride, Ittle Dew, nonwoven gauze.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Playing Sleeping Dogs. I'm loving the visuals, the acting and the combat, though after the hype I'm disappointed in the combat. It's a lot less interesting than I was expecting, but it works just fine as a less-robust, more-grounded Arkham-type system. I loved Arkham's melee combat so that's fine with me but I suspect this will get old sooner than that did.

I'm also disappointed by the city. By car it's great. On foot? I'm fine that it has an unusually proper sense of scale and blocks are unusually close to proper size and such. But there's this perfectly serviceable mantling system and almost nothing to do with it. The city is a proper maze in a vehicle but is just a bunch of clearings and canyons on foot with almost no human-sized alleyways, passthroughs, and so forth. Almost no vault-able fences and walls that actually lead somewhere. I ended up in a footchase with the cops and it was excruciating. They couldn't stop me, and I just had to wait until they fell behind--I started in a particularly bad part of the city in this respect, to be fair, but even the Night Market which should be riddled with this kind of thing is distressingly dead-end-y. I'm really disappointed about that.

Especially in this one architectural form. The overpasses. You can always vault off one side into a little ditch ... and there's nothing there. The other side is too tall to scale and I thought it was just a one-way feature ... but there's no way to get to the ledge that would lead down the other side. It's almost like they started making more pass-throughs and then gave up for some reason. It's ... weird.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 04-11-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Shadow Warrior Redux was sitting around in my Steam list and I hadn't received the trading cards for it yet, so I decided to give it a go - and bounced right off. I had to push my way through Duke Nukem 3d too, and I just wasn't up to another slog through a 3D realms game. I understand it must've been a cool game back when it was new, but it hasn't aged well. I ended up playing FTL while waiting for the cards to drop, and then some more. Almost beat the boss this time!

Finally got round to finishing XCOM. Its anticlimactic ending was made even worse by a camera glitch, so instead of ending cutscenes interspersed with an in-game view of one of my guys using an alien device, they were interspersed with an in-game view of a dark fog-of-war shrouded section of the level miles away from the action.

For a game whose bugs did not rear their ugly heads in the rest of the playthrough (except for the psi training soldier selection bug), it's kind of funny that a bug showed up to ruin the finale.