Page 907 of 1157 FirstFirst ... 4078078578979059069079089099179571007 ... LastLast
Results 18,121 to 18,140 of 23133
    Shadow Warrior Redux was sitting around in my Steam list and I hadn't received the trading cards for it yet, so I decided to give it a go - and bounced right off. I had to push my way through Duke Nukem 3d too, and I just wasn't up to another slog through a 3D realms game. I understand it must've been a cool game back when it was new, but it hasn't aged well. I ended up playing FTL while waiting for the cards to drop, and then some more. Almost beat the boss this time!

Finally got round to finishing XCOM. Its anticlimactic ending was made even worse by a camera glitch, so instead of ending cutscenes interspersed with an in-game view of one of my guys using an alien device, they were interspersed with an in-game view of a dark fog-of-war shrouded section of the level miles away from the action.

For a game whose bugs did not rear their ugly heads in the rest of the playthrough (except for the psi training soldier selection bug), it's kind of funny that a bug showed up to ruin the finale.

The Typing of the Dead: Overkill is buggy, tacky, ugly, tasteless ... and yet oddly compelling. Shooting zeds by just typing words makes for very satisfying gameplay.

I think this is an example of something that's 'so bad it's good' - the gaming equivalent of a B-Movie.

Finished Penumbra: Black Plague. While the basic gameplay is almost identical to Amnesia, there's some really strange things going on. Unlike Penumbra Overture where you are mostly trapped in mines you are now wandering about a complex of a shady organization, complete with automated announcements that wouldn't be out of place in a Portal game. I don't think horror and humour mix too well. At least not here.

Imagine that in Amnesia.

Overall it's a major improvement over Overture but it's still no Amnesia. I have the Requiem chapter left to play but I hear it's short and not too great. We will see about that.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Playing Avadon 2 and Dominions 4 at the moment. My fancy graphic cards don't have anything to do, relaly.

Avadon 2 is a very, very welcome change to Avadon 1, which I intensely disliked because I hated the guts of every single one of my followers. Thoroughly immersive and enjoyable.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Activated Node
    I am playing Shadow Ops: The Line? Think thats its name. Set in Dubai, shooting people in the face, sand gets in the eyes... that one. Only playing it until my Dishonoured is up and running. Am offline at the moment, so keep stealing my brothers internets to download games while I can. Just missed Metro: Last Light for cheaps, which I'm gutted about... but pretty sure I can get it for cheaps next month at some point...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    The Typing of the Dead: Overkill is buggy, tacky, ugly, tasteless ... and yet oddly compelling. Shooting zeds by just typing words makes for very satisfying gameplay.

I think this is an example of something that's 'so bad it's good' - the gaming equivalent of a B-Movie.
    That describes the game it's based on pretty well too, even if it did get a bit too much by the end.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

I played the regular version co-op with my best friend and I thought it was an excellent, if fairly easy lightgun shooter (thought the trashy aesthetics were great despite the Wii's limitations, thought the game played fine). Still, seeing said friend's horrified reaction to the ending (oh, Jesus, the ending) will stay with me until the day I die, I swear. 'Tasteless' doesn't even come close. Hilarious, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I've been playing Hotline Miami 3D by playing the newest in the line of unhinged murderers and one time military special operator [spoilers]Sam Fisher[spoilers]. After the death of [spoilers]his daughter[spoilers] he entered a spiralling fantasy. [spoilers]Double Agent[spoilers] Mostly covered a spate of paranoia, with [spoilers]Conviction[spoilers] he went on a rampage of rage against his previous employers and murdered wantonly. But not until playing [spoilers]Blacklist[spoilers]does the true extent of his madness is exposed, finally apprehended by the authorities he is brought back to the US in a military transport plane and it is there under the effect of powerful sedatives that he constructs a world which merge the brutality of his former military life and his fantasy.

In game-play terms its shocking how similar [spoilers]Blacklist[spoilers] can be to Hotline Miami when you just play the 4E missions and "forget" to use silencers. Run into the room, shoot the facing you with a burst, knife the other as he turns around, run though the door into the room to the right smashing the door and stunning the dog shoot the dog and... oh, the sniper got you. Reload, run in the room, knifing both guards by using the nearest one was cover from fire, take the door at the back of the room running though the door, spray the dog with the bullets and then the sniper. then throw a flash bang at a group coming around a corner and shoot and knife them as range and ammo clip allow... I need some music to go along with it. Help me get into a rhythm.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 04-11-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Finished Penumbra: Black Plague.
    Do you not understand what is going on? Did you follow the plot of the first part?

[spoilers]ancient sentient disease[spoilers] Red knew what was going on and desperately wanted not to, but felt a responsibility to be a gate keeper, he essentially hoped you'd find resolution where he didn't.

in the later chapters you are [spoilers]fully under the thrall of the disease, its[spoilers] testing and accessing you to be considered and equal, checking if it can trust you and ocasionally punishing you, the comparison to GlaDOS really is apt.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 04-11-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    My man! Paxman Valenta = Peace,dude! Slowdown
    This thread needs more Valenta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ICcOu0NkM#t=39

You can't have enough Valenta (tho the noise, ironically, isn't the engine itself)

What are your kids playing at the moment?

My 9 and 6 year old children were smiling playing Lego Marvel Superheroes, told them it was bedtime, both cry.
    10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    My 9 and 6 year old children were smiling playing Lego Marvel Superheroes, told them it was bedtime, both cry.
    10/10
    Top happiness

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar

It's glorious. Just just this lovely big blood bath of swearing and aesthetic with a massive dismembered tongue in someone else's cheek. And killing Zombies by typing "Colin the dog" "Thanks Obama" and The Father Ted inspired couplet of "Down with this" next to another Zombie displaying "Careful now" is stupidly gratifying.

2013 is to an extent the year I discovered a more stripped down arcade experience, what with this and Call of Juarez and other short self contained games, and there is much to recommend stuff like this as an antidote to epics which require you to mortgage your own life to fit in playing someone else's.

For some reason decided to visit Ravenholm, while in a zombie glut, and those Zombie moans are...uhhrhhhhhhh. No. Really genuinely horrible. Skin Crawling. Although the priest man saving them as it were provides some closure at least. It's one of the most horrifying vignettes I've encountered in any medium though.

For the most part though it's too long in hindsight, unnecessarily so, and was clearly put in so someone could demonstrate their Thief chops. Adds nothing to the campaign. Apart from being a really nasty obstruction. Bastard.
    Last edited by sonson; 04-11-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    10/10
    Still only progressing through it pretty slowly, but as a grown manchild I am warming to it a little more. The end of the Doc Ock level was particularly good. I can see how kids would be completely won over by the formula, though.

I note Steam won't unlock achievements if you've redeemed a game early, though! Not that it bothers me that much, but still, it's a little irritating. Oh welp.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Just finished Batman Arachnid Originals. It's a very good game. It's the same gameplay as City and Asylum with one or two new gadgets thrown in. The story is better than City. Apart from the bugs and the sometimes weird facial animations it's a top quality Batman game.

The amount of extra little details thrown in for DC comic fans made me love it even more.

The post credit scene made me need to change my boxer shorts. Seriously. Whatever that is coming next, be it a DLC or a game, give it to me now.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

King's Bounty: Warriors of the North is very likely the greatest game of all time. Proof:

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    King's Bounty: Warriors of the North is very likely the greatest game of all time. Proof:
    Things like that made me love Armoured Princess. Things like the enemy consequence-free suicide-damage spells made me want to frown at it sternly while waggling a finger at its skimpy breastplate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Finished ArmA 3: Episode 1. I must say: I LOVED IT!!!

Haven't had that good of an SP experience in an ArmA since OFP. Bohemia REALLY outdid themselves on this one. And it kind of says something that going up against 4 paratroopers with the high ground was more harrowing and terrifying than the SquadVsMany fights in basically any other modern military manshoot. REALLY looking forward to the next Episode (December).

That being said: The equipment system just annoyed me. I kind of wish they had gone for something more akin to the Resistance campaign from OFP. Feel free to give me unlimitied reserves (Keeping the medics alive wasn't fun back in Resistance), but make ammo a concern. Don't send me on a mission to find an emergency resupply while I still have thousands of rounds of ammunition and hundreds of HE grenades back at base (yes, I realize that might not be a good amount for a military unit, but you get the point). Or, at the very least, don't keep taking my GPS and what not between missions. If I find a dead soldier with a nice toy, I want to keep it unless I choose to swap it out.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Playing Borderlands 2, the base game (I bought it on sale, I don't have any of the DLC).

I'll say this for it: the writing and the set pieces have greatly improved over the first game, and I do genuinely want to see the campaign through, whereas I tried going back to the first numerous times and a little more of my soul died with each attempt. I still think the Edge review of the original game was about the only honest one going - the story was a string of dumb comedy redneck clichés, the setting was bland and flavourless, the "bazillions of guns" thing was meaningless marketing drivel and yet everyone responded with AHAHAHA MI SHOTGUN SHOOTIN ROCKETZ ALL MI FRENDS R HERE LET'S PARTAY!!1!!!! Even if Gearbox would probably think I was a miserable little man talking out of my ass, they clearly worked very hard on switching up and expanding on all of these things regardless, and I do appreciate the effort - gunplay is more involving, the world is bigger and more eye-catching, bits of it explode much more better, the story leading you around actually feels more like a story where people thought about the cast and their personalities, and, and...

And yet I'm nearly thirty hours in, the cast are still all one-dimensional cartoons, the plotting is a string of weaksauce narrative contrivances and it's alternately comical and vaguely irritating that I'm clearly expected to care so very, very much about the details. The writing still isn't up to that much: characterisation makes little to no sense, and it throws idiot gags and forced melodrama in at every opportunity where just waiting another thirty seconds for a punchline would have worked ten times better. The comedy isn't that funny. (A hint: if you actually laugh at, or indeed feel anything towards Claptrap whatsoever, you are a hollow shell of a human being. Remember, making jokes about how something is no good, awful, or otherwise terribad does not excuse its failings.)

And the game. It's still an arrow comparison engine, interspersed with bouts of gunplay where you generally either wipe out all your enemies in seconds or you're utterly humiliated because you haven't found the "right" weapon yet. (Which is generally one where all the arrows are pointing upwards.) Obviously I'm trolling/exaggerating for comic effect: I like the opportunities for experimentation, the interplay between different enemy types, the feedback from the bang bang bang, whether it's the explosions or the gibs or the PhysX (seriously, the goop and the fluttering and the vortexes are awesome). But it's still so... hollow, in a sense, the feeling I'm just basically patiently mopping the levels up "room" by "room" until I can have my reward of a bit more flavour text and a few more green arrows. I couldn't really care that much about Pandora. It's not a remotely convincing place, for all Gearbox have been slaving away behind the scenes. It's a technicolor shooting gallery inhabited by cartoons designed for the express purpose of giving me a bigger gun than all my friends, and that's all it'll ever be.

Oh, but I don't have any friends to play it with, so my opinion is instantly invalid! The hell it is - I'm still not remotely convinced that as I said before, running around yelling HEY GUYS WHAT CAN WE SHOOT OVER THIS WAY??? should automatically excuse everything I just mentioned. I know co-op is fun. It's not like I've never played anything co-op. Some of my favourite gaming experiences in twenty, twenty-five years have been co-op. The thing is, those were great games that became even better when I had friends there, not mediocre experiences that magically became something revelatory. Borderlands 2, thus far, is a reasonably decent FPS with some nice shooting in it and some halfway pretty moments, set in a world that never really rises above a grab-bag of fairly unremarkable characters and half-assed plot beats that have generally been done much better elsewhere. That's not dismissing it out of hand - that's twenty-some hours of play where I could write pages more saying "But X, Y and Z simply don't work as well as </some other game>" and I think to automatically handwave all that away with "But but but loot! And hey, look, all your friends can play!" is worryingly disingenuous. And no, that isn't me being glib: pretty much every review I've seen could be boiled down to "Lookit all dat loot! And - and your friends can play, too!".

Damn, that ended up being much longer than I intended, but eh, to hell with it, better out than in. tl;dr - from what I'm seeing, Borderlands 2 is an improvement over the original, but not that much of one, and all these 9s and 10s thrown around just confirm everyone but me is nuts. (You heard me.) Okay, that'll do.