Page 910 of 1163 FirstFirst ... 4108108609009089099109119129209601010 ... LastLast
Results 18,181 to 18,200 of 23248
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Mostly been playing the shit out of Mortal Kombat 9's story mode. There's a lot of "clones," every damn character has a teleport and a ranged attack, the story mode is heavily stacked against you and yet I just keep coming back for more. It helps that there's an absolutely absurd amount of content. Here's a quick list of every utter bastard character in the game:

• Shao Kahn, dear Lord. Did they rip this guy out of King of Fighters or something?
    • Ermac
    • Sektor
    • Quan Chi
    • Smoke
    • Sektor
    • Goro

The game was nigh-unplayable for framerate issues. I was ogling upgrades (not just for MK) but I ended up overclocking my processor instead. Got a 20% boost without a voltage increase and no signs of instability, and it seems to have solved the problem for the most part. It's a damn shame, as the slowdown seems to be widespread and there doesn't seem to be a fix coming anytime soon. I would've been all over Injustice if I could trust them to do a decent port. Ah well... Ultra Street Fighter 4 is coming soon anyway. Much as I love the new Mortal Kombat, I would be wary about buying either game as I'm not entirely convinced that the problem is my ancient computer.

Nuclear Throne's my other compulsive squeeze. Not sure if they're just continually making the game harder or I'm picking up way too many chests, but by the time I get to the third world I can hardly walk for all the enemies... To say nothing of the bullets. Vlambeer are releasing weekly patches and the game has only gotten better (especially with the screen shake turned off... No headaches for me, thanks) with each one, so buy it.

Tried playing a few games of Company of Heroes, both vs humans and bots. It served as a sharp reminder why I rarely play RTS games. We lost terribly.

Batman: Assassin's Creed almost turned me off with that god-damned combat system. The first few battles truly just consisted of waiting for dudes to run at me and then countering. I turned the game off in disgust. Luckily, within half an hour or so the goons actually figure out how to attack two at a time! I tried replaying Arkham Asylum a while back and got bored within an hour or so, so it's nice that Rocksteady actually listened and improved on the single biggest problem with their game. Not loving it, but warming to it a little. I can't believe people actually think it's the bar for a melee combat system when so there's so many better ones out there, but it has enough else going for it that we can get along. I did immediately put on TAS when I closed the game and enjoyed it much more.

And finally, Satazius. Why the fuck are there walls in space?

More and more finding myself pouring hours into arcade games and "quick fixes." Bounced straight off Outlast, I Have No Mouth etc, Natural Selection 2, Incredipede, and the aforementioned Company of Heroes because I simply don't have the capacity, patience, time or will to learn their systems or digest their tales. Could be a phase, or I might just have to start being a lot more judicious about what I buy.
    Last edited by sabrage; 07-11-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Obscure Node
    Let's see, over the past couple of days....

Crysis
    Crysis 2
    System Shock 2
    CoD:MW3 MP
    Super Hexagon
    Magnetis
    Monaco
    Tomb Raider
    Hotline Miami
    Dark Souls
    Batman:Arkham Asylum (best batman game is best batman game, the rest are just more of this game)

Most pumped for System Shock 2, Monaco, Dark Souls, and Super Hexagon. I'm just replaying B:AA, Hotline Miami, Crysis 1 & 2, and the others. Terabyte hard drives go cheap these days!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Jagged Alliance 2 1.13

I want something different this time. Maybe I'll roll a lonewolf rambo-type guy and go solo with melee weapons, silenced pistols and smgs, minimum armor and stuff. Something like that. Probably will rush to Meduna from the beginning only stopping to grab some better gear. That means no city control, no militia, no money, no Skyrider helicopter, no Bobby Ray. Doubt I'll finish it, but at least I'll try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

King's Bounty: Warriors of the Bored. Okay, it really is more of the same, just as I expected but it also feels much sloppier than the previous King's Bounty game which already aren't known for their intricate design.
    So there's this motherfucker.

It's basically the same giant spider boss fight that was in the previous game except this one is undead which is slightly worse. Boss fights in King's Bounty are terrible. Either you stomp them in the first couple of turns or they slaughter your army since they retaliate every attack, even ranged attacks and special abilities. Oh, and boss fights disable your rage skills so if you play as a warrior, which I do, you're fucked. How dare I wanting to use skills I have put so many points in.

The game still thought I did an okay job there though I guess the part of my army that ended up as spider food would think otherwise.
    After that there's only three more fights before this part of the main quest ends. Except, there's no way to replenish your viking troops opn this island so you have to leave the dungeon, get on a boat, get to another island, buy new troops, go all the way back and after two regular battles you finally face the boss of this chapter which turns out to be a regular fight against a hero and it's not particularly challenging.
    After that you are automagically, without a warning, flung to another part of the world map, unable to go back and the game deletes your entire army. Wow.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Tried out The Witcher 2, but I'm struggling to work up any enthusiasm to play it. I didn't like what I played of the first game, and this looks similar enough. I dislike fantasy settings in games anyway, so I'm not quite sure why I bought it; probably because it was cheap and I was curious about all the hype surrounding it. Just not for me I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    BUt I will say what I am NOT playing. I am NOT playing the new Splinter Cell (Wrong Voice Actor but Fun Gameplay Edition). Why am I not playing that? Because FUCK YOU UBISOFT!!!!!

Downloaded and installed during Agents of SHIELD last night. No complaints there. Comparable to Steam.
    Started up when I got off work today. Started downloading a patch. Taking a long time. Watched an hour and a half long podcast. STILL fucking downloading. Went off to make supper, ate. Ran patch. Clicked to start game.

It is now downloading ANOTHER FUCKING PATCH!!!!
    I had the same problem, unfortunately. You might not be happy to know that there is a third patch to install, after the second one, and you'll be able to play when that's done.

UPlay downloads patches individually and sequentially, for some silly reason.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Avish View Post
    Finally found something in my backlog that I like and that something is Waking mars. So far only plays about an hour of it, but I'm eager to go back and explore more those shiny red caves.
    Waking Mars was easily one of the best surprises in recent years. I hope you continue to enjoy it as much as I did.

Over the Weekend Rounded off my Halloween Double feature by complete Deadlight, which as we we've already established had a terrible plot but great gameplay. The chase sections were especially frantic and I loved the part with the helicopter biting at my heels. Be warned it had an infuriating tendency to crash upon pausing and then you'd be set back to the last checkpoint when restarting the game.
    I also finished Cognition: The Oracle, the third Erica Reed Episode. It was a welcome change of pace to A) control another character, and B) not be hoofing it across Boston constantly and conduct a proper investigation in a single location. Puzzles have got a lot more interesting with the addition of more psychic options, but I still have no time for many of the characters and the animation is still shonky to the point of hilarity, with Erica being a firm member of the funny walk brigade and other characters doing the exorcist twist on a regular basis. Its Painted Background are still beautiful though - Iím a sucker for that for sort of thing.

Speaking of painted backgrounds; thought Iíd fire up Winter Voices. I'm still in the Prologue as so far, its pretty, with an interesting take on RPG combat (its all defensive, metaphorical, with ulterior goals rather than just "Killz all teh thingz 4 XP"), but the "prose"(?) is appalling, I think its trying to be poetic, but its just cringe worthy to the point that i have to check to make sure no-one care hear me playing the damn thing. I'll put it down to bad localisation (its a French game). I hear it gets better in the third chapter, so Iíll give it a little more of a chance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TomxJ View Post
    Speaking of painted backgrounds; thought I’d fire up Winter Voices. I'm still in the Prologue as so far, its pretty, with an interesting take on RPG combat (its all defensive, metaphorical, with ulterior goals rather than just "Killz all teh thingz 4 XP"), but the "prose"(?) is appalling, I think its trying to be poetic, but its just cringe worthy to the point that i have to check to make sure no-one care hear me playing the damn thing. I'll put it down to bad localisation (its a French game). I hear it gets better in the third chapter, so I’ll give it a little more of a chance.
    It's not the localization, it's just poorly written.

Activated Node
    Yes it is highly unfair, but fun. Shao Kahn is a prick. Now granted, I'm not a good player, but I tried many many times to beat him without bringing the cheese. I failed and got cheap. Even still there is a great sense of accomplishment when you beat him or the other handicap matches.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Mostly been playing the shit out of Mortal Kombat 9's story mode. There's a lot of "clones," every damn character has a teleport and a ranged attack, the story mode is heavily stacked against you and yet I just keep coming back for more. It helps that there's an absolutely absurd amount of content. Here's a quick list of every utter bastard character in the game:

• Shao Kahn, dear Lord. Did they rip this guy out of King of Fighters or something?
    • Ermac
    • Sektor
    • Quan Chi
    • Smoke
    • Sektor
    • Goro

The game was nigh-unplayable for framerate issues. I was ogling upgrades (not just for MK) but I ended up overclocking my processor instead. Got a 20% boost without a voltage increase and no signs of instability, and it seems to have solved the problem for the most part. It's a damn shame, as the slowdown seems to be widespread and there doesn't seem to be a fix coming anytime soon. I would've been all over Injustice if I could trust them to do a decent port. Ah well... Ultra Street Fighter 4 is coming soon anyway. Much as I love the new Mortal Kombat, I would be wary about buying either game as I'm not entirely convinced that the problem is my ancient computer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Oh, God, I snapped and downloaded Pinball FX 2 when I found out they'd made the Sorceror's Lair table free for PC, too. Oh God it's every bit as phenomenal as it is on tablets and now I have to buy every single table I own on Android a second time and probably more of them into the bargain and oh God oh God my poor wallet.

Seriously, this has been pretty much one of my favourite games of all time since I first started playing last year, even though I'm terrible at it and in no danger of getting anywhere near any of the leaderboards. Not the sort of thing that turns up on RPS much, I suppose, but it bloody well should be. I must have put ten hours into World War Hulk alone. I am the green scar! I am the world-breaker! I! Am! The! HULK! Pure, distilled arcade bliss.
    I just discovered this for my Android phone. It works surprisingly well on the small screen, and it's some really great pinball. You may have already answered (World War Hulk), but which tables are you particularly fond of? I can see myself picking up a few more, especially at that impulse buy price.

I've actually been thinking that pinball is a really great design challenge. Very limited space and mechanics, yet good tables manage such a density of challenge and activity. The design has to be very tight and efficient.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    After grumbling about the lack of challenge in Truck Parking terms with ETS2 - someone pointed me at the Scania Truck Driver demo and so I spent a while trying to do a 90degree reverse park entirely from the cab view.

When I did it - and it was a bit easier than I expected so I'll be resigning that '2' button when parking from now on - it was a proper 'Fiero' moment (C) Jane McGonigal...

You don't get THAT in a Class 47 - well, except where you brake that coal train from 90 to 50.9 MPH JUST as you pass the 50 limit sign (flicking the power back on to keep it that way) ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomxJ View Post
    Waking Mars was easily one of the best surprises in recent years. I hope you continue to enjoy it as much as I did.
    I'm an idiot. Waking Mars. All this time I thought it was called Walking Mars and immediately dismissed it as boring. I'll have to check it out now.

I hear it gets better in the third chapter, so I’ll give it a little more of a chance.
    No, it doesn't it. It almost seems like it could, but it doesn't go far enough when it actually had a pretty good hook for a great twist (both mechanically and plotwise). I've spent way too much time talking about this stupid game in the past, and really the only good thing about it is the music.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trelow View Post
    Yes it is highly unfair, but fun. Shao Kahn is a prick. Now granted, I'm not a good player, but I tried many many times to beat him without bringing the cheese. I failed and got cheap. Even still there is a great sense of accomplishment when you beat him or the other handicap matches.
    One of my friends can consistently beat Shao Khan without the following exploit. It basically involves ducking and blocking and moving back to avoid him and is all about his tells and figuring out his patterns.

I, on the other hand, use the following:
    As anyone other than Kratos (who has the golden fleece of unfairness :p), you need to get yourself at just the right range so that Shao Khan will only throw javelins, which you can block, and taunt you. Too close and he'll close the distance. Too far and he'll throw a hammer. Once you are there, just spam your ranged attacks and win.
    In the campaign, you need to take advantage of a combination of Raiden's teleport+uppercut combo and the superman tackle. You want to use both so that the AI won't trigger a counter to take either out.

But yeah, Shao Khan has always been a bitch. But he holds nothing on Motaro who is probably the absolute most unfair boss in all of Mortal Kombat. And who, because of the X-Ray attacks, was not in this game :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    I just discovered this for my Android phone. It works surprisingly well on the small screen, and it's some really great pinball. You may have already answered (World War Hulk), but which tables are you particularly fond of? I can see myself picking up a few more, especially at that impulse buy price.

I've actually been thinking that pinball is a really great design challenge. Very limited space and mechanics, yet good tables manage such a density of challenge and activity. The design has to be very tight and efficient.

Firstly, the bundle thread here has noted the existence of a Pinball FX2 'pack' on Steam which is quite likely a Humble Weekly/Bundle pack with loads of content (normal and BTA) - so I would HOLD OFF any PC Pinball purchases right now (also - Steam sale season is < 3 weeks away)

Secondly, Pinball can be clever, but the majority of PC/tablet pinball is shit because so few people understand how to make it actually work (and work on the format they're making it for and not the silly shape of original tables).

Activated Node
    Johnny-bought-a-car!

I ended up using the same strategy on him, man he's rude.

one of my friends can consistently beat shao khan without the following exploit. It basically involves ducking and blocking and moving back to avoid him and is all about his tells and figuring out his patterns.

I, on the other hand, use the following:
    as anyone other than kratos (who has the golden fleece of unfairness :p), you need to get yourself at just the right range so that shao khan will only throw javelins, which you can block, and taunt you. Too close and he'll close the distance. Too far and he'll throw a hammer. Once you are there, just spam your ranged attacks and win.
    In the campaign, you need to take advantage of a combination of raiden's teleport+uppercut combo and the superman tackle. You want to use both so that the ai won't trigger a counter to take either out.

but yeah, shao khan has always been a bitch. But he holds nothing on motaro who is probably the absolute most unfair boss in all of mortal kombat. And who, because of the x-ray attacks, was not in this game :p
    Last edited by Trelow; 07-11-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post

All the Event Marvel tables are pretty good (World War Hulk, Civil War, the Avengers movie tie-in, Fear Itself). Separately available for mobile, available as one DLC pack for PC. Captain America's table and Thor's are also good. I've only got the first round of Star Wars tables, but I do like the Clone Wars and Boba Fett ones.

And yes, the design issues are intriguing. Even with the fantasy elements (the impossible physics and whatnot) the use of space and the different methods of setting up loops and escalating patterns of play get me thinking. Although I'm not very good at the game I'm pretty sure I can still get a feel for the easier tables (Sorceror's Lair, Clone Wars, maybe World War Hulk) versus the faster, more technical ones where it's painfully easy to get the ball fired straight back down at you, or have a stray bounce send it out of play (Fear Itself, Tesla, Paranormal, Boba Fett).

But getting the hang of them to any degree is just mesmerising - the sense of getting something under control, of firing off the same pattern of shots successfully over and over and thinking wow, I actually am improving. Even if it's just a bit. (I still can't beat most of the bloody missions on any table. Best I've managed so far is lasting through them without dying on Sorceror's Lair.)

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Batman: Assassin's Creed almost turned me off with that god-damned combat system. The first few battles truly just consisted of waiting for dudes to run at me and then countering. I turned the game off in disgust. Luckily, within half an hour or so the goons actually figure out how to attack two at a time! I tried replaying Arkham Asylum a while back and got bored within an hour or so, so it's nice that Rocksteady actually listened and improved on the single biggest problem with their game. Not loving it, but warming to it a little. I can't believe people actually think it's the bar for a melee combat system when so there's so many better ones out there, but it has enough else going for it that we can get along. I did immediately put on TAS when I closed the game and enjoyed it much more.
    Name some. I can't think what "TAS" would be, if that's what you're implying.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 07-11-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The animated series?

Batman's combats strength is in it's timing and the fact it looks great. It flows brilliantly. As you progress in the game you get bigger challenges in the combat. More guys in a group, guys with knifes, guys in body armour who deflect all of your attacks unless you stun them first, guys who are "tanky", guys with guns, guys with stun batons, guys with riot shields and in the newest ones guys who can counter your attacks and who also need to be countered more than once in their attack animation.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah. I don't think Batman's combat system is great for a combat oriented game (although, it works in Sleeping Dogs), but the point of Batman is to be stealthy, to have quick fights, and to explore metroidvania style. So it works.

As for better melee combat systems: Godhand.

... I REALLY hope the PS4 game streaming thingie supports the PS2 games. I want to stream my shitty Godhand playing for the world to mock :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As for better melee combat systems: Godhand.

... I REALLY hope the PS4 game streaming thingie supports the PS2 games. I want to stream my shitty Godhand playing for the world to mock :p
    Oh dear... God, the day that ghastly abortion becomes any kind of standard for video gaming hand-to-hand combat would be the day I gave up the medium entirely. Tried it for five minutes, thought "Sweet Christ on a bike, enjoying this unintuitive, over-complicated nonsense is supposed to be a mark of your prowess as a 'true' video gamer? Count me out" and never went back. It can stay safely dead for all I care.

Man, I freely admit I only played a very brief period of it, but I hated, hated, hated even that much. Dual analogue sticks should never be used like that.

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Firstly, the bundle thread here has noted the existence of a Pinball FX2 'pack' on Steam which is quite likely a Humble Weekly/Bundle pack with loads of content (normal and BTA) - so I would HOLD OFF any PC Pinball purchases right now (also - Steam sale season is < 3 weeks away)

Secondly, Pinball can be clever, but the majority of PC/tablet pinball is shit because so few people understand how to make it actually work (and work on the format they're making it for and not the silly shape of original tables).
    This is perfectly good advice, but note that he asked about Android and the tables are much cheaper there. (No bundles of any kind, though, other than buying separate apps.)

Also, I don't dismiss the pinball apps/games trying to recreate original tables - I can see Pinball Arcade could be a lot of fun, I just enjoy the fantasy approach Zen take far too much.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 07-11-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Yeah, I don't get all the hate I sometimes see aimed at Batman AA/AC's combat systems. I really like them. Simple enough that a klutz can manage to complete the game only mashing the punch button mindlessly, yet deep enough that you can master its combos and have a lot of fun striving to get maximum XP out of each fight.

That, seriously, is a mark of great game design for me - the combat is satisfying to very different skill levels.

There's always the harder difficulty modes if that's what you're looking for, too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Maknol View Post
    Yeah, I don't get all the hate I sometimes see aimed at Batman AA/AC's combat systems. I really like them. Simple enough that a klutz can manage to complete the game only mashing the punch button mindlessly, yet deep enough that you can master its combos and have a lot of fun striving to get maximum XP out of each fight.

That, seriously, is a mark of great game design for me - the combat is satisfying to very different skill levels.

There's always the harder difficulty modes if that's what you're looking for, too.
    Yes, this. My first impressions of Godhand were that it was awful, because any fighting game should basically allow you to easily hit people in the face inside thirty seconds and feel like the king of the world, and you shouldn't have to worry about how to accomplish this. At the very least if you're being asked to press buttons in some radically different way that goes against everything other games have taught you it should be immediately obvious what advantages having to learn an entirely new system offers or will ultimately offer.

Godhand flat out does not do this, end of discussion. The combat in Warner's Batman games can indeed feel like a formality for experienced players but it lets everyone else get started almost painlessly and it does offer more of a challenge or scope for experimentation and showboating as the game progresses, or by tweaking a couple of options. This may not be to your individual taste, but it is unquestionably technically better, more efficient game design.