Page 915 of 1207 FirstFirst ... 4158158659059139149159169179259651015 ... LastLast
Results 18,281 to 18,300 of 24123
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    It's just after that one. David gets ordered to go investigate some stuff and brings Rush and the four generals along. The level is a cave system, but the fight takes place just outside. You all encounter a band of soldiers with the flying remnant, led by the hooded chap with the tattoos. David commands them all to surrender, after which you charge them. It's a big fight with lots of different unions, with reinforcements appearing once a couple of them have been downed. You get your crappy little band under your control (3 units, 2 unions, max 2 per union), whereas David, the generals and bunch of soldiers fill out two superpowered guest unions, outside your control. As I said, it hinges on your unions mostly not getting attacked.
    Ah yes, that's a bit of an annoying fight, largely because you don't have access to all the wonderful options that are open later; when you have many people in many unions performing many roles.

You definitely need all three units. Make sure at every point that you've recruited Leader types instead of Mercenery type units. How to tell the difference? Their banner will be more elaborate* - you'll note on the recruiting screen that several banners share a theme - these are the Mercenary types and are far inferior later on.
    Make sure someone in at least one union, preferably both, has a healing ability (probably some kind of Herb from Item Arts right now). And use this whenever it becomes available.
    If no one has any kind of healing ability then this leads to the third, fallback option - grinding. Go through the locations you've got open another time - like Robelia Castle - and see how it goes after that.
    Ideally in the fight against Jaeger, David and his mates should do the heavy-work. In fact, if enough enemy unions are on the field at any one time he may bust out the Gae Bolg and end it right away. This can only happen if you can drop Jaeger quickly though, I think.

*some exceptions unfortunately. For example, Baulson has a Merc banner but is a good Leader type, whereas Oakes has a Merc banner but is only a Merc type.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I got it. I've done it a couple of times before. This time took me another couple of attempts. No big deal. I put my unions on standby for a turn, which seemed to do the trick. David and co beat the crap out of the boss, tore up a few other folks for exercise, and Gae Bolged the rest.

I was going to wait until after this one until I did some other non-story stuff, since I get more units to do it with.

Thanks for the information on Merc vs. Leader. What has this game got against telling you its mechanics, anyway?
    Last edited by arathain; 13-11-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Still Crusader Kings 2: I finally formed the Zoroastrian Persian Empire, beating back Byzantine and Arab heathens. Approximately five seconds after becoming Shahansha 120000 Mongols arrived. I could muster about the same number of troops, but the Mongol army was way superior (stupid Light Cavalry and Horse Archers). After being conquered I'll probably try to dismantle my new overlords from within.

tl;dr: The night is dark and full Mongols.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I got it. I've done it a couple of times before. This time took me another couple of attempts. No big deal. I put my unions on standby for a turn, which seemed to do the trick. David and co beat the crap out of the boss, tore up a few other folks for exercise, and Gae Bolged the rest.

I was going to wait until after this one until I did some other non-story stuff, since I get more units to do it with.

Thanks for the information on Merc vs. Leader. What has this game got against telling you its mechanics, anyway?
    The same thing all the other awesome Square side-projects have, I guess (okay, and some of the not-so-awesome ones). Well, not that I've played Last Remnant yet, but even with Vagrant Story (one of my favourite games of all time) I'm forced to admit the central mechanics make little or no bloody sense and the game seems painfully reticent about actually giving you a decent explanation of what they do.

Still, I'd take something else weird and esoteric over Another Final Fantasy: Super Turbo Hyper Dress-up Edition any day (and I say that as someone who actually liked, though never finished, the first FFXIII).

Still playing Brutal Legend. It's a lot of fun so far, even though I can't see myself sticking around long after I've finished the game. I love the way famous rockstars' cameos are implemented, but the lack of control over the car (the Deuce) annoys me.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Playing XCOM: EW. Not too far in - maybe two or three hours - but then too I spent some time modding the ini files to make some small tweaks. Which is just as easy now as it was before.

All in all...quite happy with the changes. You get into the MEC soldiers pretty early on. Which as RPS mentioned is nice, as it changes things up from the old formula quite quickly, if you prefer to do so. And while it doesn't seem to offer much in the way of in game consequences for "Playing with the Devil's toys" as yet, the first time I allotted "volunteers" for service as MEC Soldiers, I shuddered when I heard the words, "Once the requisite amputations are performed..."

But all that dark, narrative stuff aside, the new game - and it is a completely new game, leaving you the option of playing the old XCOM if you wish - plays well, too. The new maps are really cool. I left a sniper behind on a crashed UFO job, remembering the lack of height and LoS in those burned out woodland maps...and regretted the decision immediately for reasons I shall not reveal here.

Suffice to say...height matters more now. Its more readily available early on, and more accessible, too. For both sides. Also, it might be me, but I swear movement on Snipers and default soldiers has been increased slightly. Or perhaps climbing to height simply counts as a single tile. Either way, its a nice change, allowing me to cover more map faster, before once more spamming Overwatch across nearly my entire squad.

Which, alas, is my one complaint: Despite the changes, I still catch myself moving in small chunks, my squad careful not to separate too far or reveal too much of the map at once, and spamming Overwatch to an unhealthy degree.

Final verdict: EW isn't perfect, but there is much here to like. Its not going to make you like XCOM if you didn't already - the fundamental basics have not really changed - but if you enjoyed the game and just wanted to shake up the formula a little and add some options for another play through, well, I highly recommend XCOM: EW.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    I have yet to dabble into the world of mods with Titan Quest. I'm quite content to just go through the vanilla game with the various character classes. They're excellently designed, I just wish the skill builds weren't so restrictive if you plan to play for the long haul.
    Titan Quest sounds promising, but I hate to miss a good mod :p Will Check it out in more detail when Torchlight II starts to drag.

Ok so the final episode of Cognition: A Erica reed Adventure - The Cain killer, is a bit dull. The new dialogue Mechanic is a complete curve-ball that seems to force a path down a dialogue tree to solve a "puzzle" rather than allowing a player to express themselves and the world around them. I think this game will be a struggle to get through and may even end up on the pile of games that fell to pieces / I lost interest in on their last levels that Iíll probably never pick up again. A pile of games including; Cthulu saves the world, Braid and Quantum Conundrum amongst others.

Borderlands 2 on the other hand is STILL holding my interest. Went through the Bloody harvest DLC last night and we got curb stomped by an UVHM Pumpkin Kingpin. My teammate actually ran out of money buying ammo to launch into that thing! Will have to come back another day unless 2 of you guys want to help us out?

Jumped into Fear 2 for some light Heebie Jeebies. As a forumite here said; [paraphrased] "If Fear is to Alien then Fear 2 is to Aliens." I think thatís about bang on so far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    To Aliens or Not To Aliens-that is the question

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You know, Tom xJ, I don't know what it is about Borderlands 2. I gave it up for six months. My girl and I just played ourselves out on it. Then the Loot Hunt thing happened, and next thing you know...I am back.

And like you, its still holding my interest. Though I did not get the Head Hunter DLC, we did nab Big Game Hunt (lackluster and probably outsourced, at least according to rumor) and Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep (Excellent; in turns sad and hilarious, and well written throughout, with east eggs that actually had me laughing out loud and not just in internet speak.

So yeah, right now I am oscillating back and forth between BL2 and XCOM: EW, and thoroughly enjoying both. Now, if only I could find something to scratch that open world exploration itch that isn't STALKER or Skyrim...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    I think it's a cultural thing, which definitely hearkens back to other JRPGs like 'Rooks said. It's a way of providing huge amounts of value and replayability in the game, however this is only if it's done right.
    The Unit types mechanic of TLR should have been explained and they right fucked it up. This is likely due to the 360 version though, where things were different (awful looking). I actually got the previous bit wrong, but it probably made it clearer than the truth. What I was referring to as Merc types are actually Leader types, and the Leader types are Unique Leader types. In the 360 version, at most (ie even when able to have 18 units across 5 unions) you can have 6 Leader/Unique Leader types; the rest had to be the generic Soldier types. Whereas on PC you should never be using Soldiers. That guy who lets you recruit them? Go and tell him to fuck right off every time you walk past him and his promising red speech-bubble of lies.

In case you're wondering, the main differences between Leader and Uniques are: the Uniques have personal quests associated with them, the completion of which will make them more powerful; the Uniques have better defined equipment upgrade routes leading to better equipment; and the Uniques have access to more types and better Arts. The Leaders hold their own for a while but eventually you notice that some of your units are a lot better than others, and the better ones just happen to be the Uniques.

This is definitely a game where the wiki is your friend, unless you have a shittonne of time in your life (like all JRPGs these days). Finding some of the boss creatures (i.e. spawn requirements) for guild quests is often near impossible without knowing what is involved. Certain locations can't be accessed until you kill a certain optional boss before going to a certain area (and it's not like you'll know the boss even exists without asking around and doing several sidequests).

Quote Originally Posted by TomxJ View Post
    Titan Quest sounds promising, but I hate to miss a good mod :p
    Having not played the expansion, coming from Torchlight the inventory system will probably feel like crashing into a wall at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by TomxJ View Post
    Cthulu saves the world, Braid and Quantum Conundrum amongst others.
    Between CSTW and Braid, go for the latter. Whatever your reaction to the story will be, it has gameplay ideas that could be the base for maybe 4 or 5 games. CSTW is cute and fun storywise but to really enjoy it you should really be into that specific flavor of JRPG, I guess.

Played meself some Survivor Squad. I don't really see much FTL in there myself, but the tactical action is enjoyable which is the most important thing. The thing however needs debugging, and it could probably use some rounds of polishing; the UI is barebones (but mostly functional), the graphics simple and the voice work is amateurish, even though I'm not sure all of that would really be much of a problem in the long run, and I mean it: the third mission just keeps freezing on me.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I think it's a cultural thing, which definitely hearkens back to other JRPGs like 'Rooks said.
    Perhaps, but I meant it tends to be more Square's experimental projects and the spinoffs that get weird. Love 'em or hate 'em, the main Final Fantasy games are typically easy to understand. Even XII, where the license board patently makes no bloody sense - I need permission/an explanation on how to wear this leather hat why, exactly? - it's working within fairly established RPG and MMO mechanics and it's kinda hard to screw things up. Whereas I still remember the first time I got to Vagrant Story's final battle and found my sword I'd spent the past twenty hours or more crafting and refining could only scratch him for about 5 points of damage a time, unless I wanted to give him an almost certain chance at instantly one-shotting me. (Still beat him, though!) And don't even get me started on Unlimited Saga. (You don't like that game too, by any chance?)

Don't get me wrong, I like the weird stuff - I even tried to like Saga, but it was way too obtuse for my tastes - and I like Square Enix much, much more than most people on this forum seem to. It's just that for a AAA publisher they seem to be working to some secret internal directive that every other non-Final Fantasy game has to take a shot at screwing over its players in the most creative way possible.

I'm dipping into Path of Exile. It's Diablo 2 with 3D graphics and a weird looking skill tree. Which is awesome, if only you could fully respec. As it stands, I'm forced to immediately consult guides or risk fucking up my character. That's the one thing Diablo 2 did that belongs in the dust bin of gaming history.

Finished Blood dragon last night and went to bad with a smile on my face. I was afraid that the last story mission will be the usual multi-part, too long with an annoying boss, and was glad that it was quite fun, not difficult in a satisfying way (Spoilish: An arena fight with unlimited ammo, so you can get a game breaking weapon. Than you ride an invincible dragon towards the final showdown, which takes place in a hilarious cut-scene. Amazing stuff).

Next I'm going to continue my journey in Waking mar, which turned from a relaxing game into something much more tense (and smart). Gunslinger, which I bought with blood dragon, also waits for me to play, but since I'm a little burned out with FPS at the moment, it will have to wait.

Also considering getting x-com EW, but we'll see about that (2K games tends to go on sale ahortly after release, so it might be worth waiting for Christmas with this one).

Activated Node
    finished Bioshock 2. First game that I actually manage to finish in a long time. A surprisingly decent FPS game with good atmosphere, wasn't really feeling the story though.

Done with Runner 2, finished the first 3 worlds but by the 4th world the formula was getting real stale, I wasn't enjoying it anymore and the red theme of the 4th world hurts my eyes and make it so much harder to see shit. The challenge in the 4th world didn't come from the gameplay but rather the visual that just makes it hard to see.

Currently playing minevar's den to see what all the fuss is about. So far seems really similar to Bioshock 2 story structure.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    I'm dipping into Path of Exile. It's Diablo 2 with 3D graphics and a weird looking skill tree. Which is awesome, if only you could fully respec. As it stands, I'm forced to immediately consult guides or risk fucking up my character. That's the one thing Diablo 2 did that belongs in the dust bin of gaming history.
    Agreed! While I like PoE, I'm not really that far in to it. Playing a witch and pathing all my skills around buffing and increasing my undead horde... I think this will be a fail. I did exactly this in Diablo 2 and got punched in the face hard by bosses.Massive discussion with my mate over the difference between Diablo 2 and 3. He refuses to play because he can't use skill trees to tweak his character. I said thats the reason I prefer 3 over 2. At least you can't fuck your character up the arse with his/her own penis because you liked that skill point over another. It was all about picking the abilities that suited the situation and not think "Shit... I need to start again because I mis-spent that skill point."

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I start to wonder if I was just kidding myself with the old configuration, but obviously I can't test it any longer. PUZZLING.
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't doubting you. I have the same issue with Crysis, which ran a lot better on my old system than it does now. Some games just don't like a particular set of hardware.

Finished Recettear (not sure if I'll bother to do the post-game content) and moved on to Batman: Arkham City. I'm not very far in so I can't comment on the gameplay, but I can say that it looks incredibly beautiful.

Still nearly no time to play.

I am in level 8-4 in Stealth Inc. I'll probably finish it on my way back home tonight. Don't think I'll play it again after beating it because some levels are too hard to be played perfectly but the other suits might make me try some levels for fun.

Reaching the end of the second act of POE. Playing it in short sessions of 20-30 minutes. I am enjoying this but won't stick around much when beated a first time because of... you know... THE Backlog :P

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Network Hub
    Just finished Sleeping Dogs: liked it, apart from the last mission. Probably will stick around until i beat some of Janek's records :p

Bioshock is next! (the first one)

I finally finished King's Bounty: Warriors of the Bored. It's certainly the worst of the King's Bounty games. Buggy, sloppily designed, recycling most of the maps from the first game and besides from that it's full of other dubious design decisions. Don't bother, it's nothing but a cash grab.
    On the other hand, it's still addictive and occasionally it's funny like the first game albeit very rarely.

Statistics:

Maybe Heroes of Might & Magic 6 was right in calling me a mass murderer.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.