Page 916 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 4168168669069149159169179189269661016 ... LastLast
Results 18,301 to 18,320 of 24106
    Playing Long Live the Queen

Fun, but it is beating the shit out of me. Hoep there is a sequel with randomised events.

Finished Cognition Ep.1 The Hangman. Yay for me! adding another completion to the list after so long.

This game is like a V12 that's misfiring on one cylinder most of the time; when it's running smooth it's something, when it doesn't, well, YMMV..? the team has gone a long way from The Silver Lining --or at least Ep.1 which was all I tried and never finished. It still has a long way to go, maybe Phoenix is a bit like Telltale before they hit their stride.

That one misfiring cylinder might be in the graphics department (be it the sometimes weird models or animations, the lighting occasionally off, the juxtaposition between the 2D panels and the 3D action, that from time to time felt jarring), some weird tonal shift, some homage to Incosequentia (and I don't mean sidequests) or brain-damaged puzzle, truth to be told, only a few of them. It's never music, though: that works very well in pretty much every moment and sets a great soundscape for the events to unfold in (I've left the game running in the background a few times just for it to loop) - that said I'm really not sold on the Scarlet Furies, although that might be a side effect of the game trying to attract my attention on them one time too many; Raleigh Holmes is overall decent, but contributing to the misfiring from time to time, and hers is hardly the best voice work in the game, which was very good anyway.

I did have to push through the first act and part of the second though, that part isn't really very well put together and often ridiculous, luckily it doesn't last long; thing's also chock full of small bugs, and although almost none was a showstopper, I ran into a deadlock where the game wouldn't let me progress even though if I should've been able to, and that I was able to solve by reloading my save file a couple times.

For the rest, read the excellent WIT by Mr Richard Cobbett if you haven't yet, it's spot on and a hilarious read even for those not planning to buy or play the game.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Activated Node
    finished minerva's den. Put it on easy and power through for the story. Pretty good but nothing mind blowing. Overall a solid DLC and one of the better one.

Bought a cheap used ps3 to catch up on the JRPGs. Was given a free copy of Gran Turismo 5 so I thought what the heck, I'll play some of it. First time popping the disc in, a mandatory 2 GB install that takes 10 mins. After that was done I thought I can proceed to the game, nope, download 14, frigging 14 patches, total they are only 225 MB but the PS3 download speed is terrible, it's been 20 mins and I'm currently on patch 2/14!

So much for that plug and play console experience lol.

EDIT: turn out 225 is only the size of patch number 2. WTF , why are there so many patches?
    Last edited by dhlt25; 15-11-2013 at 07:58 AM.

I tried out Batman: Arkham Origins' multiplayer, and it made me both very happy and mildly angry.

I'm angry because it seems to be plagued with connection issues. A game starts, and the connection drops for no reason, or the game starts, and only half the players who were in the lobby actually make it to the game.

It's also very annoying waiting for a lobby to fill up with eight people just to play the game, and there's no servers to join. I can only imagine this will get worse when the player population inevitably drops.

However when the acutal game works, it's absolutely amazing. It's 3 vs 3 vs 2, Joker's goons vs Bane's goons vs Batman & Robin. The gangs win by killing each other, and reducing their battlefield style 'tickets' and by capturing control points which decrease tickets faster.

The dynamic duo win by performing takedowns on the goons and building their intimidation bar to scare them off. Getting killed reduces the bar by a big chunk, so you really have to not die as Batman or Robin.

Matches are spiced up halfway through, with the introduction of a super villian, either Bane or Joker (whichever gang wins the race to activate them).

I had a brilliant moment yesterday, playing as Robin. My teammate and I had built up our intimidation bar pretty high and were close to victory, but the Joker gang were close to winning too, with only a few tickets left. They managed to call in the Joker and he was kicking ass with his powerful weapons.

My teammate, as Batman, was trying to attack the Joker but was having a little trouble, so I swooped down to help. I used Robin's bullet shield gadget to protect myself from harm, while he took advantage of the distraction and snuck up behind Joker to take him down, and we won the game. Awesome.

I just hope that the connection problems can be sorted out because if they are, then I can see this becoming my new addiction.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Airtekh, have you played the multiplayer in Splinter Cell: Blacklist? It also leverages stealth and asymetrical teams brilliantly, and on the whole is I think better designed than Origins' multiplayer (though it is good, for sure).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    Airtekh, have you played the multiplayer in Splinter Cell: Blacklist? It also leverages stealth and asymetrical teams brilliantly, and on the whole is I think better designed than Origins' multiplayer (though it is good, for sure).
    I'm a big fan of Blacklist's adversarial multiplayer. I feel that the map design was often better in Chaos Theory, but that said, it had stinkers, Blacklist maps are pretty consistent.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Finished Brutal Legend. It's entertaining, and I only had to retry the last two missions two or three times to beat it; claims about whacked out difficulty are just hyperbolic. The end is satisfying enough, but it does feel like they just chopped off an entire chapter and put the final fight at the end of another fight. The humor isn't a constant laugh out loud kinda thing, but it's fun and very funny in parts. The music is awesome, and there's a great use of Mister Crowley. The atmosphere is a great bit of tongue-in-cheek fun.

The game does an absolutely terrible job of describing it's systems though. I beat the game without knowing you could ride motorcycle pigs, or how to free bound serpents, or unlock pieces of mythology. They tell you to do combos all the time, and combos are important, but not nearly as much as the songs. The save system is abysmal; you can't futz around with steam while it's cloud-syncing, or there's a very good chance of losing your save. The checkpoints they save at are also abysmal. Sometimes you'll die and then find yourself another continent away. Combat is slightly unfinished, but it doesn't feel much worse (or different) from Darksiders, it just needs to be refined.

God help me, I went and bought Kerbal Space Program while it's on sale. Shockingly my first rockets did not explode on take off, and only part of them exploded on landing.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/5fb3e3df5...6qro1_1280.png

Guys, guys, I completed LONG LIVE THE QUEEN guys.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    That one caught me off guard as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Perhaps, but I meant it tends to be more Square's experimental projects and the spinoffs that get weird. Love 'em or hate 'em, the main Final Fantasy games are typically easy to understand. Even XII, where the license board patently makes no bloody sense - I need permission/an explanation on how to wear this leather hat why, exactly? - it's working within fairly established RPG and MMO mechanics and it's kinda hard to screw things up. Whereas I still remember the first time I got to Vagrant Story's final battle and found my sword I'd spent the past twenty hours or more crafting and refining could only scratch him for about 5 points of damage a time, unless I wanted to give him an almost certain chance at instantly one-shotting me. (Still beat him, though!) And don't even get me started on Unlimited Saga. (You don't like that game too, by any chance?)

Don't get me wrong, I like the weird stuff - I even tried to like Saga, but it was way too obtuse for my tastes - and I like Square Enix much, much more than most people on this forum seem to. It's just that for a AAA publisher they seem to be working to some secret internal directive that every other non-Final Fantasy game has to take a shot at screwing over its players in the most creative way possible.
    JRPGs are basically a genre I have little to no experience in; yet always an interest in; but that interest is killed most of the times I try one. I've played Grandia 2 and The Last Remnant, both of which I'd class as excellent. Eternal Sonata, which was damn good and charming to the extreme. And Lost Odyssey, for which there is no bag big enough to contain all the dicks it can go and eat. Also Skies of Arcadia on the DC, but I barely got into that (although from what I can tell its difficulty curve was designed by Asshole McDickbiscuit.

So from that startpoint, even FF games seem very wiki-based games to me. Maybe not in terms of the main story, but many of the mingames seem to require knowledge that the game just doesn't tell you. Whether it be combinations of chocobos (if that's even a thing) or how some silly card system works. Or it could be in beating the optional super bosses, which seem to often only be defeatably with a certain amount of foresight.

If you like the weireder games then you may get on very well with TRL. It requires a bit of time though. As you may gather from Arathain's posts you're only allowed a maximum of 3 units at the start, whereas by the end you can have 18. And the game - or more pertinently, the battle system - only really comes into its own when you have 12+ units spread across 3-4 unions. Then shit gets fun.

Finally, finally FINALLY I am loving Deus Ex Human Revolution. Its only taken around 10 hours, but something finally clicked!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    JRPGs are basically a genre I have little to no experience in; yet always an interest in; but that interest is killed most of the times I try one.
    Same. One of the things that both fascinates and repels me about them is so many seem to be a lifelong commitment, as in there are still new things being discovered about decade-old JRPGs today! You shouldn’t be playing them in a living room, you should be playing them in an isolated mountaintop monastery and dedicate your life to unlocking their secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    Yes I have, and it's very good - the Classic mode that is, I'm not a fan of the Blacklist 4 vs 4, it's a bit too chaotic.

You really need a good partner to play it though, since it's very teamplay-oriented. It's not much fun getting stomped by level 56 players when your teammate won't come and help defend a point you're trying to hack. In Origins, you can still have a bit of fun even if your teammates aren't up to scratch.

Not sure I agree that one is better designed than the other, since they do different things. Blacklist is a game of deadly hide-and-seek. Origins is a gang war with two vigilantes trying to stop it.

The novelty of having three factions fighting against each other simultaneously is very exciting, and not something that I come across very often. Also, in Origins, you're only stealthing it up 1/3 of the time.

Both are very good though, and are following a concerning trend of awesome AAA multiplayer experiences being largely ignored in favour of their mediocre singleplayer (eg. Assassin's Creed). I've no doubt that if Batman's multiplayer was a separate thing, perhaps an indie game (though, obviously without the Batman licence), it would be getting more attention.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Bought Chivalry Medieval Warfare at the new Humble Store for tuppence (bout £3 if memory serves) and it reminds me strongly of my days in Jedi Academy and Call of Duty 1. There’s the more hectic large battles and then there’s the smaller servers of elite clans keeping their skills sharp by adhering to personal duels in which one must bow and salute. These guys can be very intimidating, which is why upon encountering the best of their number I promptly ran screaming off a cliff. It’s quite a pretty game too in a horrible grim kind of way. Not really my thing these days but well worth the money I put down.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    If you like the weirder games then you may get on very well with TRL. It requires a bit of time though. As you may gather from Arathain's posts you're only allowed a maximum of 3 units at the start, whereas by the end you can have 18. And the game - or more pertinently, the battle system - only really comes into its own when you have 12+ units spread across 3-4 unions. Then shit gets fun.
    Duly noted. I am honestly looking forward to giving it another go (just played a few minutes ages ago after picking it up in a sale). The backlog is getting a little out of control this time of year, though. :(

For what little it's worth, of your experience with the genre (sorry about the consolebox tangent):

I greatly enjoyed Eternal Arcadia but it was wildly conventional under the flying ships and such (like too many old-school JRPGs, once you've got enough cash flow to ensure a constant supply of the best health potions you've basically won) and the random encounter rates were horribly badly designed and I wouldn't blame anyone for getting infuriated at them (I can still remember the noise of my Dreamcast's drive spinning up to load a new one in, before the animation even started playing).

Grandia II I didn't care for the plot and setting much (so many cliches. Sooo many) but the mechanics were excellent, at least for the time (never played it since). One of the few JRPGs back then when I actually welcomed the random battles as I found fighting things that much fun. I used to think if there had been a game with Arcadia's approach to story and setting and Grandia's approach to game design then the Dreamcast would have conquered the world.

I liked the idea of Lost Odyssey... but not so much the reality - it was way too much like a typical Final Fantasy knockoff for my taste, with too much syrup in the storytelling, derivative character design, level layouts, progression, all the rest of it (I never finished it). And it, uh, not offended me as such, but I very much don't believe in its central plot point, which kinda hurt any chance I had of really enjoying it when it's so front and centre.

Eternal Sonata was pretty, and mechanically sound, I guess, but I found it absolutely bloody awful to play. Dreary, totally uninteresting plot and setting, a waste of a reasonably interesting concept, nothing to grab me about the battle system... one key sequence where a main character snuffs it was - I'm sorry, it really did strike me as one of the most hysterically awful cutscenes I've ever seen in a videogame, to the point I was literally (and I do mean literally) screaming "Oh, for Chrissakes will you just die" at the screen. (I never finished that one, either.)

For reference, Final Fantasy XII is the pinnacle of the genre for me, and one of my favourite games of all time. Despite the fact it's fundamentally crippled (what with Yasumi Matsuno being booted out of the director's chair halfway through) I've still never found anything on any format to match it overall, let alone the PC (Planescape: Torment has far better writing, say, and I adore that game, but it's not remotely as fun for me to play, or to just spend time wandering around the world).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Bought Payday for cheap. It's either hard, not very clear, or both.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Bought Payday for cheap. It's either hard, not very clear, or both.
    Payday can be brutally hard early on. It's by no means ever an easy game, but particularly early on when you're under equipped it can be very difficult.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Obscure Node
    Fallout: New Vegas and Kerbal Space Program, mostly.

Civ 5 for the first time. Best way to describe would be:
    crack