Page 919 of 1240 FirstFirst ... 4198198699099179189199209219299691019 ... LastLast
Results 18,361 to 18,380 of 24799
  1. #18361
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    3,870
    I think looking at the top layer of the Bioshock games and seeing all the heavy handed stuff and giving up on it as unsubtle and witless is incredibly unfair. I don't know that anyone in particular who complains about it is doing that, as I'm not in their heads. But I feel, as Sonson said, that it's a series that deals with excess and exageration. Hyperbolic nonsense is its canvas and it's not done perfectly, either. But I think it's too easy to just say that some of the things it deals with are hyperbolic nonsense and therefore the game has nothing to offer or argue of interest.

    This is not explicitly related because I do think there was more going on in Binfinite that the Comstock and Friends shell, but here: I rarely understand the critique that something is unsubtle. If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you. But lack of subtlety is often compared to shouting and I don't think that's right. More often than not Subtlety is like wordplay; it's fun and interesting and it takes you a moment to get what is being said and it demonstrates a skill of word-craft ... but the message itself is no better, no more nuanced for that. The art of hiding your message and burying it within your story and your mechanics in a way that requires careful consideration from the reader is an art ... but we have to understand what part of it is artistic. It's the act of hiding, not the message itself. Simply because it is artfully folded up in the rest of the work doesn't mean the message carries any more significance, weight, or worth. And it doesn't suddenly condemn works without subtlety.

    Subtlety, too, can be an illusion created by how obvious something is to your subjective experience. Something less obvious to you but not-that-subtly included might seem quite clever if you read the time it takes to find it into the author's intent rather than your observational prowess ... and the reverse holds true for things that are more obvious to you than to others. This has been a somewhat long tangent, so let's close this. Binfinite still utterly aside, I'm baffled at how frequently people praise subtlety all on it's own. Myself included sometimes. On consideration it seems a thing worth praising in it's own way but not worth praising in opposition to it's opposite. A skeleton has as many and the same bones as it's former owner and yet critics will praise not just the flesh that hides them but the bones themselves a million times louder in a full cadaver. This seems unfair.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 18-11-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

    You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

  2. #18362
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,399
    Just discovered I own the 1C Humble Bundle. I totally did not buy that. I have no records of buying it.

    So it's up to you all to pick a game out of the following for me to play through

    King's Bounty: Armored Princess
    King's Bounty: The Legend
    King's Bounty: Crossworlds
    Men of War
    Men of War: Red Tide
    Men of War: Assault Squad GOTY

    Apart from know that King's Bounty is fantasy and Men of War is set in WW2 (maybe? yes?) I know next to nothing about these games.

    Don't fail me RPS.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  3. #18363
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,362
    King's Bounty: The Legend gets my vote.

    Oh wait, you wanted a reason for that? KB is more accessible, it's pretty, the turn-based tactical combat is solid AND the story is filled with batshit crazy moments. I would tell you more, but these posts on RPS are surely better than anything I could write.

    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008...he-belt-odoom/
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008...-kings-bounty/
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  4. #18364
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,574
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    King's Bounty: The Legend gets my vote.

    Oh wait, you wanted a reason for that? KB is more accessible, it's pretty, the turn-based tactical combat is solid AND the story is filled with batshit crazy moments. I would tell you more, but these posts on RPS are surely better than anything I could write.

    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008...he-belt-odoom/
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008...-kings-bounty/
    Absolutely. The Legend is also a little better for the whole exploration angle, because more of the map is open to you at once. You can perform the whole sneak in, grab the crystals, and slaughter the enemies you did the same thing to three hours ago thing much better.

  5. #18365
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    2,002
    800mb worth of download and here comes two new stuff that actually matters! guess what I'll spend the next 24 hours playing
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

    Watch me fail as Nobunaga

  6. #18366
    More Dark Souls, pvp now. Or rather, was. GFWL decided to stop working on me. Fuck. Hoping I find a fix, because despite the assholes you find online I was really enjoying it.

  7. #18367
    Network Hub Avish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    402
    X-com: EW.
    Goodbye other games.... (somehow I manage to play it in short bursts of 20-60 minutes, so i'm not neglecting the kids, the wife and the pets).

  8. #18368
    Network Hub Avish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    King's Bounty: The Legend gets my vote.

    Oh wait, you wanted a reason for that? KB is more accessible, it's pretty, the turn-based tactical combat is solid AND the story is filled with batshit crazy moments. I would tell you more, but these posts on RPS are surely better than anything I could write.

    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008...he-belt-odoom/
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008...-kings-bounty/
    Legend is definitely the best choice here.

  9. #18369
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Just discovered I own the 1C Humble Bundle. I totally did not buy that. I have no records of buying it.

    So it's up to you all to pick a game out of the following for me to play through

    King's Bounty: Armored Princess
    King's Bounty: The Legend
    King's Bounty: Crossworlds
    Men of War
    Men of War: Red Tide
    Men of War: Assault Squad GOTY

    Apart from know that King's Bounty is fantasy and Men of War is set in WW2 (maybe? yes?) I know next to nothing about these games.

    Don't fail me RPS.
    In interests of confusion I'm going to suggest MOW. It is the systems based emergent game-play RTS Monster of Joy, with pretty much universally well designed missions. It's a bit...shonky but that's part of the charm really. It's provides all the sense of accomplishment of a heavy grongard wargame when a big move works out with the accessibility and pulpy action of COH. It's also just a joy to watch, the unit AI is really exceptional and if you just leave your soldiers around the front line they'll take cover, throw grenades, go prone and all that sort of stuff without being asked. Sometimes it's just fun to wind it all up and watch it go. It's a clockwork toy soldier masterpiece.

    King's Bounty is a lot of fun and definitely worth playing for a bit but very few people can hack the necessary 80+ hours of grind necessary to complete it. And it isn't deserving of that amount of time in my opinion.

  10. #18370
    Lesser Hivemind Node airtekh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    778
    As a stealth fan, it's long overdue, but I've finally got around to playing The Dark Mod. The training mission is surprisingly in-depth, and I'm impressed by what I've seen so far - the Doom 3 engine has aged well. The only thing I don't like is their lockpicking mechanic, it feels slow and tedious; I wish they'd used one from the Thief games instead.

    It boggles my mind as to why these guys can't release this as a standalone game. I feel guilty playing it for free, since it's something I would definitely spend money on. Perhaps because it's too similar to Thief, which might get them into legal trouble?

    That said, does anyone know of any 'must play' missions that I should download?

  11. #18371
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    It's a bit...shonky but that's part of the charm really.
    I bounced right off of it on account of charm.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

    You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

  12. #18372
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,296
    State Of Decay 2-3 hours,so far its interesting but feels kinda tedious. Getting tempted to install SWOTR 1 :o

  13. #18373
    Vector Jams O'Donnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Burgh of Mussels
    Posts
    847
    FINALLY, after bouncing off the free version years ago, and after declining to get the HD version on Steam because I don't think it's the kind of game I'd want to sit down at a PC for, I'm getting into Spelunky (on PS Vita). It's a bit good, huh?

    On PC, I'm trying to play Walking Dead but finding it pretty dull, with every "shocking" discovery telegraphed far in advance and some pretty inconsistent characters. I'm kind of disappointed, both since it picked up so many plaudits for its writing and because as an Idle Thumbs fan I like Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanaman.

    So ... on PC what I'm actually playing (which so far is no less dull, but Jim Moon of Hypnogoria liked well enough for me to want to give it the benefit of the doubt) is Dark Fall: The Journal, which is a Mystlike horror game with a hotel full of ghosts. The puzzles so far have been pretty satisfying, which is the most important thing with this kind of game.

  14. #18374
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    FIGGHHHT. Nah not really. I'll pick up on a few things you said but I'll fill you in, ala Craig David, as to what it is I like about it all, why I reappraised it and stuff, see what you think.

    Re Violence-Itís a hard one, and intensely subjective. I have a few rough truisms which I apply to any presentation of violence that I encounter;

    A) Violence is always damaging
    B) Violence is integral to humanity, thus far, and is therefore nonetheless a pressing issue and often a fascinating one
    C) Violence does not exist in a vacuum and cannot be an end in itself
    D) Presentations of violence are not damaging as of themselves but can be very negative if the above is not integral to the context in which it occurs

    And I base my feelings about itís presence in whatever media along those lines. Binfinite is suitably candid and honest about themes of violence, and generally sufficiently cerebral on the whole, to suggest to me that itís graphic nature is due to that context rather than gratuity or titillation. It ticks all boxes-A) Booker is presented as a broken man on account of his violent history, the Tyranny of Comstock is fragile, the raging of the Vox Populi, and their belief that violence can only be countered with violence, is futile and wrongheaded. B) Far too much to mention here. Itís an outright theme as of itself throughout the game really. C) Much like B and A really. D) The violence is graphic but not without consideration I donít think. I doubt basically a bunch of people sat round and were either blind to the viscera on the one hand or decided to chuck it in for fun on the other. I think it will have been a conscious decision to make it what it is. Bioshock series is in many way a game about excess, in both meta and narrative terms, and I think the violence is an extension of this.

    It could of course be suggested that self awareness isnít enough to justify the violence, but it doesnít seem right to isolate Infinite for that when it is basically a genre characteristic. It seems wrong to pick on Binfinite for its violence basically. Itís a FPS. It never pretended to be anything else.

    This is basically where I was wrong. It could be better as a Gone Home alike (although thatís entirely hypothetical). With so much to see and experience, such rich exposition, it seems a shame to break that with the immature conventions of an FPS. And that tension still exists.

    The fact is itís an FPS which has far less shooting than most though, and which goes to almost absurd lengths to provide things to think about and a story to genuinely engage and fascinate. There arenít actually many games like that, at all, really. Which have that ratio of killing to exposition. It still feels like a compromise, but it's one which has tried exceptionally hard to be as intelligent as it can be in spite of that, and indeed has embraced some of that FPS stuff to that end I think.
    So, I don't necessarily disagree with the theory behind any of this (or the remainder, which I cut for length).
    However, it is certainly the case that I know people who actually stopped playing Binfinite within minutes of actually getting involved in violence, because they simply didn't want to see those images again. (And these are people who have played quite a few FPSes in the past.) I have not a few FPS games under my belt, and I certainly gave considerable pause to buying Binfinite myself after seeing the screenshots and trailers of the action sequences. (I have not bought it yet, and probably won't, which makes me sad as the storytelling is apparently rather good.)

    The issue, of course, is one of compulsion in storytelling. I'm not a big fan of gore on screen either (there are several films I've had to leave early due to not being able to cope with the unpleasantness on screen, and I actively avoid certain classes of film entirely), but I can see how the difference in complicity might be an issue. Watching Pan's Labyrinth and the violence in it is different from actively *performing* the violence in Binfinite. (It's entirely legitimate to not *want* to be the unpleasant person that Booker can be, judged by his acts in the game.)

    As far as I know, there's less leeway in "alternate paths" in Binfinite than in some other recent games with "detailed" representations of violence - unlike Dishonoured, which also has somewhat excessive lethal combat rendering, you can't simply choose not to kill people. You are forced to be the kind of person who produces those kind of horrible effects. This is clearly intentional... and there is some artistic merit in it. But it is also bound to cause visceral rejection from people who are more sensitive sorts. (Hence the emotional tone of the repudiation of your post by Eight Rooks - they simply don't want to be forced to be that kind of person, and this taints the rest of the game experience for them deeply.)

  15. #18375
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,345
    So here's one a lot of people have never played - Lucius. Youíre the son of the devil and have to go around killing people in your six year old body without the others suspecting. It starts with a little tutorial killing and then drops me in my first proper level, where I go around the entire house clicking every single thing in the hopes that it's an inventory object. So it's a point & click adventure rather than a Hitman style game, and most of the objects are intractable yet service no purpose. In my first playthrough I spent most of my time smashing bottles (parents are like 'meh whatever' so no wonder my character turned out like he did) and ran around with my mother's panties. Most of the inventory items turned out to be useless, and there seems to be only one way to accomplish the goal at this time.

    The voices are unenthusiastic, the faces are lifeless to the point where the maid dropped dead, the camera had a close-up of her face, and I said Ďwhatís the difference?í The one interesting spot couldíve been the devil but for the lack of subtlety. This fancy dressed dude just transports you to his fire lair, says Ďyo Iím the devil, go kill for meí and thatís that. He had such a scary face in the dark too, and when you shine a light on him his shadow has horns.

  16. #18376
    Network Hub Avish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    So, I don't necessarily disagree with the theory behind any of this (or the remainder, which I cut for length).
    However, it is certainly the case that I know people who actually stopped playing Binfinite within minutes of actually getting involved in violence, because they simply didn't want to see those images again. (And these are people who have played quite a few FPSes in the past.) I have not a few FPS games under my belt, and I certainly gave considerable pause to buying Binfinite myself after seeing the screenshots and trailers of the action sequences. (I have not bought it yet, and probably won't, which makes me sad as the storytelling is apparently rather good.)

    The issue, of course, is one of compulsion in storytelling. I'm not a big fan of gore on screen either (there are several films I've had to leave early due to not being able to cope with the unpleasantness on screen, and I actively avoid certain classes of film entirely), but I can see how the difference in complicity might be an issue. Watching Pan's Labyrinth and the violence in it is different from actively *performing* the violence in Binfinite. (It's entirely legitimate to not *want* to be the unpleasant person that Booker can be, judged by his acts in the game.)

    As far as I know, there's less leeway in "alternate paths" in Binfinite than in some other recent games with "detailed" representations of violence - unlike Dishonoured, which also has somewhat excessive lethal combat rendering, you can't simply choose not to kill people. You are forced to be the kind of person who produces those kind of horrible effects. This is clearly intentional... and there is some artistic merit in it. But it is also bound to cause visceral rejection from people who are more sensitive sorts. (Hence the emotional tone of the repudiation of your post by Eight Rooks - they simply don't want to be forced to be that kind of person, and this taints the rest of the game experience for them deeply.)
    So you feel about the violence in Binfinite what Cara Ellison felt about the rape scene in Hotline Miami 2? (there's a whole thread about it, somewhere in this forum).

  17. #18377
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Avish View Post
    So you feel about the violence in Binfinite what Cara Ellison felt about the rape scene in Hotline Miami 2? (there's a whole thread about it, somewhere in this forum).
    Essentially, yes. (I did have that thread in mind when writing my initial reply.)

  18. #18378
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    So, I don't necessarily disagree with the theory behind any of this (or the remainder, which I cut for length).
    However, it is certainly the case that I know people who actually stopped playing Binfinite within minutes of actually getting involved in violence, because they simply didn't want to see those images again. (And these are people who have played quite a few FPSes in the past.) I have not a few FPS games under my belt, and I certainly gave considerable pause to buying Binfinite myself after seeing the screenshots and trailers of the action sequences. (I have not bought it yet, and probably won't, which makes me sad as the storytelling is apparently rather good.)

    The issue, of course, is one of compulsion in storytelling. I'm not a big fan of gore on screen either (there are several films I've had to leave early due to not being able to cope with the unpleasantness on screen, and I actively avoid certain classes of film entirely), but I can see how the difference in complicity might be an issue. Watching Pan's Labyrinth and the violence in it is different from actively *performing* the violence in Binfinite. (It's entirely legitimate to not *want* to be the unpleasant person that Booker can be, judged by his acts in the game.)

    As far as I know, there's less leeway in "alternate paths" in Binfinite than in some other recent games with "detailed" representations of violence - unlike Dishonoured, which also has somewhat excessive lethal combat rendering, you can't simply choose not to kill people. You are forced to be the kind of person who produces those kind of horrible effects. This is clearly intentional... and there is some artistic merit in it. But it is also bound to cause visceral rejection from people who are more sensitive sorts. (Hence the emotional tone of the repudiation of your post by Eight Rooks - they simply don't want to be forced to be that kind of person, and this taints the rest of the game experience for them deeply.)
    Hmmm.

    I guess for me, as mentioned earlier, violence is something which needs to be justified, and I think at length about instances in which it arises or is a key element, and as mentioned earlier Infinite passes that test for me. I, personally, find the concept or reality of violence distressing, it's what it means or stands for, rather than how it looks. To me,, killing people is killing people is killing people, irrespective of how nasty or sanguine it is visually.

    And that's the rub for me. What makes Booker more unpleasant than any other video game FPS protagonist? I'd argue that it's that the game candidly informs you of the fact, and goes to narrative lengths to explore it. But every FPS game, by definition, is about being someone who kills hundreds of people, or being a Booker, a shoot first think later progress through violence type. If you're unsure about the idea of playing Booker, then I would suggest you don't play any other FPS either. And unlike Infinite, most of those examples have nothing whatever to say about how very violent a person you are playing.

    End of the day, if you put Infiinite's violence in the against column, you still have plenty left over. If you put down 90% of others FPS's violence in the against column, you have no game left. So again, I'm very confused as to why Infinite, being really quite an exception to the trend of violence in its genre, gets singled out soley on the basis of superficial gore.

    Violence can have it's aesthetic value too, and I genuinely think it's extreme and grotesque and exaggerated to enhance its surrounding themes. It isn't realistic violence, for example, even if it is graphic. Now I fully understand someone might not like that, and that's entirley fine, but if you have a level of disquiet about violence playing a game which is openly marketed as being violent is probably going to lead to some tension I would suggest.

    RE Follow up post-I don't see the comparison. Cara was talking about a game which offers quite a unique option to be complicit in, implied simulation of Rape. Whereas there is nothing at all unique about a game which offers the chance to perpetrate mass violence. And if a game isn't offering the chance for you to see how unpleasant killing lots of people is, or not requiring you to think about it, then I think that's far more morally alarming personally.
    Last edited by sonson; 19-11-2013 at 02:07 PM.

  19. #18379
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK, Derby
    Posts
    1,824
    Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    *snip*(Hence the emotional tone of the repudiation of your post by Eight Rooks - they simply don't want to be forced to be that kind of person, and this taints the rest of the game experience for them deeply.)
    Eh... I probably should shut up (he said, on the internet), but - see, this is why I shouldn't have bothered posting anything in the first place, because it really would require pages and pages of carefully thought-out arguments to make my point(s) without resorting to sounding like I'm riding the whaaaaambulance, and I simply don't have the time or the energy. Still, it isn't solely being forced into being a nasty man, though that does sour the experience for me to some degree - I'll always go for a non-lethal playthrough of something given the choice, and I'll rarely if ever try the Dark Side option.

    But I'm just not smart enough to lay out my feelings about the game clearly and succinctly without being confrontational. I get deeply, deeply frustrated when I try because it really is one of those games where nothing I've seen anyone say in its defence has made me stop thinking "You're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong", to the point where I... basically don't want to say "Hmmm, you make some good points; perhaps I should be a little less critical of the whole thing with that in mind?" - I just want to insist that no, Elizabeth is not a character, she's a MacGuffin: no, the Vox Populi are not an insightful examination of prejudice and the two sides of the coin being the same, they're simply breaking a complex and deeply painful real-world issue down into nothing more cerebral than "RACE WAR!!1!!!": no, the Luteces are not the sign of a complex, twisting sci-fi narrative, they're pretentious, wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey nonsense that could comfortably be excised almost entirely from the narrative without losing anything of value: no, Columbia isn't a convincing, fully detailed world, it's a theme park built on fatally flawed logic that makes no sense and that no (remotely) sane human being would ever consider building (and the game is clearly trying to convince you otherwise, it wants you to think Columbia is a real place, not a dream built on metaphors and what-ifs)... and on, and on, and on.

    And I've seen all of these things defended, I've seen people bring up counterpoints for all of them and more, and every damn time I've seen nothing put forward to make me think of any response more mature than "You're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong".

    Sigh. And I honestly don't like doing this because I know I sound like a dick, and I wouldn't blame anyone for getting annoyed with or rolling their eyes at my intransigence. But sometimes, for whatever reason, a piece of creative media gets to me like that - and for a whole lot of reasons I'm really not very good at live and let live when I get worked up over something, even if I typically just bottle it up. Again, it's just sometimes - I couldn't stand Tomb Raider 2013, I couldn't stand Far Cry 3 (whether as a piece of storytelling or a game, the praise it gets baffles me), I really liked Assassin's Creed 3 when most discerning fans seemed to hate it, and so on - but I can compromise on all of those, I can concede some of their good points, I can point to things I liked or didn't like, I can live and let live. But not Infinite. Yes, it's partly being railroaded down a route I don't want to take, but it's a hundred more things as well... it's just I simply lack the presence of mind or the smarts or the maturity to boil it down to anything more elegant than: you're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong.

    (Seriously, I'm not saying all this because I think I can wear stubbornness as a badge of honour or something, just trying to explain something of how attempting to debate the game's pros and cons makes me feel. But I'll shut up now.)

  20. #18380
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Hmmm.

    I guess for me, as mentioned earlier, violence is something which needs to be justified, and I think at length about instances in which it arises or is a key element, and as mentioned earlier Infinite passes that test for me. I, personally, find the concept or reality of violence distressing, it's what it means or stands for, rather than how it looks. To me,, killing people is killing people is killing people, irrespective of how nasty or sanguine it is visually.
    Well, except that you're not killing people. You're "killing" arrangements of pixels. The closer that comes to resembling actually killing people, the more it becomes "like" killing people, in terms of the experience, arguably.

    And that's the rub for me. What makes Booker more unpleasant than any other video game FPS protagonist? I'd argue that it's that the game candidly informs you of the fact, and goes to narrative lengths to explore it. But every FPS game, by definition, is about being someone who kills hundreds of people, or being a Booker, a shoot first think later progress through violence type. If you're unsure about the idea of playing Booker, then I would suggest you don't play any other FPS either. And unlike Infinite, most of those examples have nothing whatever to say about how very violent a person you are playing.
    Well, playing Quake or Doom or whatever, you're not killing people, you're killing Evil Monsters, which presumably is less of a moral issue. I should note that I actually did have a moment of (self-)loathing for the player character in Quake 4, when he kills the stroylent processing beastie by a rather gratitiously unpleasant means, so I'm certainly not exempting other FPS protagonists from any moral judgement.

    End of the day, if you put Infiinite's violence in the against column, you still have plenty left over. If you put down 90% of others FPS's violence in the against column, you have no game left. So again, I'm very confused as to why Infinite, being really quite an exception to the trend of violence in its genre, gets singled out soley on the basis of superficial gore.

    Violence can have it's aesthetic value too, and I genuinely think it's extreme and grotesque and exaggerated to enhance its surrounding themes. It isn't realistic violence, for example, even if it is graphic. Now I fully understand someone might not like that, and that's entirley fine, but if you have a level of disquiet about violence playing a game which is openly marketed as being violent is probably going to lead to some tension I would suggest.
    Well, again, depictions of violence *do* feed into how viscerally we as humans respond to them. By your argument, we should all have conniptions about playing (say) Civilisation, considering the huge numbers of deaths you're responsible for in a given playthrough. (Defcon, of course, has something to say about the connection between abstraction of violence in that end of the scale.) Like it or not, depictions of very visceral violence *feel more violent* and more awful than more abstracted ones. (I completely appreciate the aesthetic and narrative points of the presentational choice as made, but their problem is that they *do* more effectively bring over the fact that Booker, like most FPS protagonists, is a horrible person. And in doing so, they make it less appealing to play him, as it is harder to avoid that aspect of his behaviour.)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •