Page 921 of 1167 FirstFirst ... 4218218719119199209219229239319711021 ... LastLast
Results 18,401 to 18,420 of 23337
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Beat Electronic Superjoy. I give it a B-/C+. It's trying to be a shoot-em-up and brutally hard platformer at the same time and doesn't know how to choose between the two. It's clearest inspiration is VVVVV but it doesn't get that if you have deaths that unfair, you need to have instant resurrection.

The last world feels so much better than the first two. You fly along and the music plays and the dev even forgets to put orgasm noises in a couple times.
    Try playing scoregasm :p

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Minecraft. So much Minecraft. I'm on a server that runs an Amplified world, and I'm building a base inside a hollow spire in a mountain that's topped by a huge plateau of rolling plains. Gotta exercise that creativity a bit.
    Still Minecraft too (not Amplified, though; I don't dare to switch my server to it). I found a second stronghold and am currently in the process of packing it down into chests and filling the space up with smooth stone, except for the portal.
    Some vague idea of using the cracked and mossy stone bricks for a ruined city I started months ago, but gave up on because it looked stupid with all cobble.
    It's a bit difficult because I keep finding new sections of the stronghold. 1.7.2 doesn't seem to be as good at keeping it in one piece as previous versions were.

Also doing a bit of branch mining because it seems like 1.7.2 land has a lot more emeralds than 1.4.7-1.6.4 land. I've found around 140 so far in a fairly small area and mainly by mining at y:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Still Minecraft too (not Amplified, though; I don't dare to switch my server to it). I found a second stronghold and am currently in the process of packing it down into chests and filling the space up with smooth stone, except for the portal.
    I must be one of the only few on RPS which never tried Minecraft. It just doesn't appeal to me. i need a sense of progression in my games. I am a story driven player I guess.

I am in chapter 16 in Hotline Miami on the Vita. Some parts where a bit though on the vita. i have the feeling the game would be easier with a mouse. I died tens of times on some levels. Glass walls can be really annoying if your not careful enough. I manage some heavier combo too. 6-7 in a row sometimes. Feels great ! i don't have a fucking clue what the story is about though.

No time to play on the PC lately. Just completed a Mansion in Dust: An Elysian Tail The gameplay is a bit too repetitive to play when you're tired.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    I must be one of the only few on RPS which never tried Minecraft. It just doesn't appeal to me. i need a sense of progression in my games. I am a story driven player I guess.
    It doesn't appeal to you precisely because you never tried it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, no, it is possible to have something not appeal to you without even giving it a shot. It's wrong to say Minecraft is a bad game solely based on its not appealing to you, but it's not exactly wrong to say "I see nothing to interest me in wandering round a blocky landscape hitting random monsters over the head and building stuff, so I'm not going to try". Take Dragon Age: Inquisition. I really liked DA2, I think a lot of the criticisms of it are misguided and silly and thought Origins was mediocre at best, but Bioware seem intent on saying sorry to everyone who feel the opposite so I find it fairly reasonable to assume they'll be taking out rather a lot of what I liked, ergo the game doesn't appeal to me before it's even out. I may be wrong, but the weight of the evidence is enough even at this stage that there's nothing there to seriously make me think otherwise.

If you were just responding on reflex to the threat of another WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL WITH MINECRAFT discussion then fair enough, but, y'know, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    RPS? Make that the world :P With endgame and experience, it's not entirely unlike a roguelike now: there's a win state that works as a something-to-look-forward-to, and a whole load of stuff to keep you busy and get sidetracked with along the way (and many many deaths)

Of course I fell in love with the thing well before that, probably it was because of the strange, magical atmosphere it somehow manages to conjure.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    If you were just responding on reflex to the threat of another WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL WITH MINECRAFT discussion then fair enough, but, y'know, just saying.
    Are you replying to a person right now or to a forum archetype that lives in your head ? just wondering...
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Batman: Arkham Origins' multiplayer continues to entertain, and there's some interesting dynamics going on. I don't know what percentage of PC players use a pad in the Arkham games, I'd say it might be 50% based on what I've seen in the multiplayer. It feels strange gunning down people who have clearly seen you first, but their reactions were slightly delayed. Mouse + keyboard showing its supremacy here.

I finally got to play as a supervillain yesterday, and as I suspected, they're insanely overpowered. The Joker has a pistol that one-shot kills anything from any range with perfect accuracy, while Bane is lethal in melee combat, has a ton of health, and carries a rocket launcher. A game's fate is often decided by who can call in the supervillain, and the gang that does is almost assured of the win.

Contrary to how my initial few games went, I've found that it's actually really hard to win a game as Batman and Robin.

There's a couple of factors for this, as far as I can tell. The aforementioned accuracy of mouse & keyboard is part of it. It's difficult to get a takedown when a guard can spin around at any given moment and blow you away. (makes me really curious to see what the win rates are like on the consoles compared to PC) Also, a match usually lasts only a couple of minutes, so it's tricky to get stealthy moves done in such a short space of time.

The biggest culprit however, was the decision to give the gangs a limited version of Batman's detective vision. It's discouraging when you know that the gangs can easily keep tabs on your movement, making it much harder to set up stuff like inverted takedowns.

So it's unbalanced, but strangely enough, it's still a lot of fun. It's like the predator sections of the singleplayer, only with really smart guards that look up a lot and shoot at gargoyles. You never expect to win as Batman or Robin, but it feels all more the sweeter when you do manage to pull it off.

Spelunky HD still gets a daily play from me. I've started to practice robbing shopkeepers. Stealing stuff is a lot quicker than saving up money. Who knew?. Robbing the black market is a bit trickier though, what with the half-dozen or so loaded shotguns pointed in your general direction.

Still playing The Dark Mod too, which is seriously impressive. Anyone complaining about the upcoming Thief reboot/sequel really needs to check this out, because it's ace.

The Doom 3 engine even allows for new tricks like moving objects/light sources, thus creating your own shadows to hide from enemies. Awesome.

Network Hub
    Counter example: I tried the demo, and it doesn't appeal to me. (For the same reasons as Drayk, mostly.)

And, yes, you're probably going to note that the demo is completely different to the full game, but that's really Minecraft's problem, not mine.

Meanwhile, on topic, I was looking through the older Humble Bundles I bought and realised that I owned Stealth Bastard so, I've been playing through that. It feels a little less "tight" in the controls than Super Meat Boy, say, so some of the timing puzzles feel slightly unfair, but generally I'm enjoying it. (Playing with a keyboard, so if it's much better on gamepad, someone do say ;) )
    Last edited by aoanla; 22-11-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added something ontopic for thread ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Are you replying to a person right now or to a forum archetype that lives in your head ? just wondering...
    Well, I meant it in general in this instance, but come now: there have been many, many articles on the front page about Minecraft over the years, and while I have no problem with that at all there have always been, without fail, a bunch of comments which could be pretty much summed up with those capital letters wot I just posted.

(I have no real grief with LTK over that one response, I'm just prejudging given I'm fed up with someone I know online continually upbraiding me because I refuse to watch anime series X or Y or Z. "How do you know you won't like it if you haven't watched it?" Know? One hundred per cent for certain? I don't - but I've read the summaries, I've read reviews, I've seen screenshots and I see absolutely nothing to make me think any of them are any different from the twenty other series I've watched over the years that follow the exact same tired, dreary formula. So I'm not going to waste my time. I haven't directly experienced series X or Y or Z but I know right now without even watching thirty seconds that nothing anyone has told me about them appeals to me.)

Obscure Node
    Got into the Infinite Crisis beta and ive been enjoying it a lot I have to say, fast paced and throws some different moba fun at you.

Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    (Playing with a keyboard, so if it's much better on gamepad, someone do say ;) )
    It's pretty personnal I guess but I played a bit of Stealth Bastard on the PC with the Keyboard and then I played the whole Stealth inc on the vita (so as with a controler) And I have to say I like it more. But again, its a matter of taste and i prefer a gamepad for platformers and driving games and third person action games (and for god knows why, for Xcom EU too). I usually like my keyboard more for FPS, RTS and Most RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    Try playing scoregasm :p
    Or Llamatron :P (Aswell as Scoregasm, its ace)

Well Rage is being alittle hard on my ancient machine and will only run at the lowest setting, guess its back to F.E.A.R. 2.

I Also tried to get into Defence Grid to see if i like a purer form of TD game than Sanctum. My conclusion is that it strikes a chord with that zen part of my brain that enjoys watching a plan come together, but i hate the lack of interactivity when you've depleted all your resources. I found i had my finger on the 'F' key constantly.
    Last edited by TomxJ; 23-11-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    God damn but Pinball FX 2 just gets better and better. Broke 60 million on Boba Fett - I have no idea how the hell I managed to do that, given it's one of the harder, more technical tables (just firing the ball around at random does very little, missions need very precise aimed shots, the ball gets very fast very quickly and comes nearly straight back down the table a lot of the time). Regardless, that was an absolute blast, and I think I've still got room to improve. If you haven't bought the Humble Weekly Bundle yet, why not? Unless you, well, don't like pinball, I suppose. As hard as that is to believe.

Pinball FX2 too. Not really sure how I feel about the minigames. Those that take place on the table itself are fine, but others sort of take you out of the mindset you're in when you play normally. I find that pretty confusing (I think I also miss half of them because I don't really look at the upper left corner).
    I'm also hopeless at nudges; haven't managed to do one deliberately yet. Pretty good at doing them by accident, though.
    Last time I played pinball was some 35+ years ago. I'm pretty sure I was better at it back then...

Audiosurf. Still pleasant.

Rage. Tried it due to the free weekend. Did the first mission and then kind of lost interest. It's pretty (mostly; rather inconsistent texture quality), but ... well, just didn't really feel like playing more. Also a number of annoying niggles with keybindings and such, which I wouldn't have expected to find in an id game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Pinball FX2 too. Not really sure how I feel about the minigames. Those that take place on the table itself are fine, but others sort of take you out of the mindset you're in when you play normally. I find that pretty confusing (I think I also miss half of them because I don't really look at the upper left corner).
    I'm also hopeless at nudges; haven't managed to do one deliberately yet. Pretty good at doing them by accident, though.
    Last time I played pinball was some 35+ years ago. I'm pretty sure I was better at it back then...
    You mean the ones on the LCD screen? I only saw a couple like that. Not my favourite part of the game, though, I admit, and I'm still not used to the way the screen works on PC after so long playing it vertically on an Android tablet (I always, always use the entire table view). I spent forever on Sorceror's Lair with a "Beat thermalions' high score! Only X more points to go!" popup hanging over the table and it almost lost me the ball at one point.

I like the Sorceror's Lair and World War Hulk mini-tables (not actually beaten any of them, though I'm close on WWH) but I'm not keen on most of the really, really tiny ones, to be honest. Pasha's felt horrid to play (some awful voice clips on those Zen original tables) and Excalibur's was pretty annoying, too (it wasn't in the bundle but I have it on Android).

Oh, I sympathise on nudges, too. I have absolutely no idea when or where to do them, and given the sticks don't get used for anything else in-game that takes me right out of the zone.

Obscure Node
    I am a sad latecomer to Skyrim, two years later and i've only recently paid any attention to it so as this year of college draws to an end. I'm going to do a playthrough started about a week ago although in skyrim terms thats not even scratching the surface.

Thoroughly enjoying it at the moment, it has already enveloped me and taken control of my life! Its been a while since a game has captivated me so much. I have OCD about mods and having the perfect blend of game to suit my taste so its already heavilly modded.

Oh and by the way i'm new here, lovin it, havent slept last night or wait was it today 2 days ago..oh I give up im tired as hell I go into a phase of sleep deprevation leading me here somehow, where I read reviews backlogging to the first review in august 2011. Brilliant writing loved it all good to see a sight where a review of a game has nothing to do with a digit followed by /10

consoles suck pc's rule there i've introduced myself whatsup

/couldnt start a new hello my name is " " thread as it's not activated for my account yet or something, but judging by the crowd hanging out here im sure it would have been frowned upon and seen as a creepy gesture which I assure you it would not have been,, well maybe... hell whatever, who am I just an "obscure node" it seems...
    Last edited by velve; 23-11-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    You mean the ones on the LCD screen? I only saw a couple like that.
    yeah, the LCD. There are several tables where you have to select something and it says that on the LCD, but since I rarely look at it (I try to keep the distractions down), I often miss some stage that I assume is part of getting to a minigame.
    The first several times I played the Star Wars table (the one based on the original movies) I couldn't figure out why things paused. Took a good while before it occurred to me to look at the LCD.

Not my favourite part of the game, though, I admit, and I'm still not used to the way the screen works on PC after so long playing it vertically on an Android tablet (I always, always use the entire table view).
    It does feel a bit weird for me too, but all pinball games I've tried (except for the true top-down fullscreen ones) have had that problem. Always feels like you should rotate your monitor.
    The fullscreen view also feels like it's a bit too far away for some of the older tables, but maybe that's just because I played the newer tables first (which on the other hand can seem a bit cramped).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    yeah, the LCD. There are several tables where you have to select something and it says that on the LCD, but since I rarely look at it (I try to keep the distractions down), I often miss some stage that I assume is part of getting to a minigame.
    The first several times I played the Star Wars table (the one based on the original movies) I couldn't figure out why things paused. Took a good while before it occurred to me to look at the LCD.
    Ah, got you - I meant actual minigames on the LCD display, not just menus. Blade has at least one, Secrets of the Deep or whatever it's called has at least one. Those are what tend to throw me off. The menus I'm usually comfortable enough with thinking okay, once I hit this, this and this then I need to look over there before I go any further - it does still feel like an awkward way of representing a "real" LCD, I agree (though I say that as someone who's never played an actual pinball machine, so what do I know?).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Hi velve. We have a greeting thread somewhere, I think. But it's about the games really.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Skyrim again and making some new dragonborns by first being a half-naked Orc berserker, then a dirty Khajiit thief before finally transitioning to be a Nord Viking/Barbarian/whatever warrior. but each of these runs have a special story of it's own or well, at least how I made the origin stories of them anyway. I wanted the Orc to run around The Reach in search of Orc fortresses getting to know his kind in Skyrim more but he stumbled upon some really nasty stuff involving Daedric worship. After his first contact with the one in Markarth, he seems to have an obsession with them, driving him to serve or betray the daedric princes in all of Skyrim. The Khajiit woman's story is simple enough, she's just on her way to Riften so she could join the Thieves' Guild she heard so much about. She shows talent at that but when she tries to fight anyway, it's a bit of a hard adjustment since most of the characters I made are pretty powerful fighters. Shit happens anyway. There was an assassination attempt, Grelka tried to kill me for the last Bedlam Job, a bear chased me all the way to Ivarstead and so on. I'm just starting the Nord run but it lools like he's going to a be a Stormcloak this time.

Also, I tried everything to enable the dlc but it just wouldn't load. any ideas?
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles