Page 924 of 1260 FirstFirst ... 4248248749149229239249259269349741024 ... LastLast
Results 18,461 to 18,480 of 25184
  1. #18461
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I got a little buzzed and was talking to my fiancee, and she asked me what a lo-fi game was, and I showed her VVVVV. I figured since it was open I would try veni vidi vici, and actually beat it this time. That's pretty cool.
    The first time I "beat" veni vidi vici I ended up on the wrong side of that little block. I hated my life for a few minutes.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  2. #18462
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I "beat" veni vidi vici
    Its a form of self harm. Seek help.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  3. #18463
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,443
    Skulls of the Shogun, which is pretty much perfect for what it is. Tightly Balanced symmetrical warfare with a very well polished set of mechanics based around manoeuvre, map control, unit counters and special abilities. And cute as a button.

    Actions are limited to 5 per turn which means that you always have to stay sharp even if you have a numerical/territorial advantage. There are no units which aren't vulnerable if properly managed, which likewise means every unit is vulnerable to something. Good trade off between fixed but strong battle formations and more flexible but brittle skirmishing tactics. There's a real and expertly managed tension between the huge advantages of playing with the long game in mind and the need for speedy conquest without over expanding.

    AI is very impressive and clearly capable of formulating and executing a plan whilst also reacting to circumstances, never seen it do something simply becuase it can, every move it makes tends to further it's goals.

    A really tight and polished set of Wargame Lite systems, highly recommended if that's your thing.
    Last edited by sonson; 26-11-2013 at 02:47 PM.

  4. #18464
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    48
    Baldur's Gate (GOG + mods, on BG2 engine) has drawn me back in to complete an old playthrough. I can agree with some of the criticism leveled at the game: low-level combat is a bit too RNG-heavy and the starting areas are mostly empty forests. It does become more fun once you get a good party together, level them a bit and find some of the better spells. Shame I need to set up camp so often to recover healing spells after tough fights, or long wanders looking for side quests.

    Just started playing the Hearthstone beta, having watched Totalbiscuit and Trump's streams for a while. I agree with this RPS article on Arena. It's the most enjoyable game mode, for me. I like the level playing field and the opportunity to try decks I wouldn't normally build. The price is just a little steep given the low returns for inexperienced players. I'll keep playing it for a while. Got a good draft on my Rogue with 2-1 right now.

  5. #18465
    Network Hub PeteC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cornwall UK
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Skulls of the Shogun, which is pretty much perfect for what it is. Tightly Balanced symmetrical warfare with a very well polished set of mechanics based around manoeuvre, map control, unit counters and special abilities. And cute as a button.

    Actions are limited to 5 per turn which means that you always have to stay sharp even if you have a numerical/territorial advantage. There are no units which aren't vulnerable if properly managed, which likewise means every unit is vulnerable to something. Good trade off between fixed but strong battle formations and more flexible but brittle skirmishing tactics. There's a real and expertly managed tension between the huge advantages of playing with the long game in mind and the need for speedy conquest without over expanding.

    AI is very impressive and clearly capable of formulating and executing a plan whilst also reacting to circumstances, never seen it do something simply becuase it can, every move it makes tends to further it's goals.

    A really tight and polished set of Wargame Lite systems, highly recommended if that's your thing.
    Agree with all of this. It was really well thought out; every feature had a point to it and it encouraged you to really think about every move with its risk/reward nature. Having said that, the optimal tactic was usually to sit tight and let them come to you while you pick them off one by one, (although that wasn't always possible on some maps.)

    Just a shame about the Windows 8 exclusivity. No-one bought it then and it got roundly ignored when it finally came to Windows 7. I honestly think it's one of the best in its genre and deserves a little more love than it gets.

  6. #18466
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,695
    Moved along to Electronic Super Joy - I fancied a tough platformer and it had cards and - erm - well...

    Aside from the childish 90s 'ooh' and 'ah' samples (you can disable them with the PG Filter but the music then goes nuts on some levels) it's a nice bit of design but it's let down by a lack of playtesting and too much 'cheap shot' difficulty.

    It's hard - and I don't mind hard - but it borders on unfairly hard and a lot of the problem is in the controls or the way the movement works. You 'stamp' missiles to kill them but that stamp has no area-of-effect so you can stamp and a missile which is 1-2px away from you (perhaps inside a floor or wall) won't be affected but it then INSTANTLY kills you. It feels cheap and nasty and shit.

    It's a shame - there's some really nice ideas on there, but by relying on cheap cuntery to give it longevity it killed-itself-off stone-dead before the end of World 1 - so long- tata - thanks for the cards.

  7. #18467
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,574
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Moved along to Electronic Super Joy - I fancied a tough platformer and it had cards and - erm - well...

    Aside from the childish 90s 'ooh' and 'ah' samples (you can disable them with the PG Filter but the music then goes nuts on some levels) it's a nice bit of design but it's let down by a lack of playtesting and too much 'cheap shot' difficulty.

    It's hard - and I don't mind hard - but it borders on unfairly hard and a lot of the problem is in the controls or the way the movement works. You 'stamp' missiles to kill them but that stamp has no area-of-effect so you can stamp and a missile which is 1-2px away from you (perhaps inside a floor or wall) won't be affected but it then INSTANTLY kills you. It feels cheap and nasty and shit.

    It's a shame - there's some really nice ideas on there, but by relying on cheap cuntery to give it longevity it killed-itself-off stone-dead before the end of World 1 - so long- tata - thanks for the cards.
    I had a similar experience. The worst part is that the third world is great, but it's not worth it getting through the first two.

  8. #18468
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The first time I "beat" veni vidi vici I ended up on the wrong side of that little block. I hated my life for a few minutes.
    I actually tried it again and beat it. Twice... More or less. I was afraid I was going to end up on the wrong side, so I moved close to the right wall. Close to the spikes. Too close. Then I couldn't stop until actually beating it.

  9. #18469
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,430
    Yeah I eventually got it, I think it took me something like 40 minutes of non-stop attempts. The feeling I got when I finally got that shiny trinket. Very few games have beaten that feeling.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  10. #18470
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I had a similar experience. The worst part is that the third world is great, but it's not worth it getting through the first two.
    I just don't think they got anyone to play it other than themselves - it goes from interesting to 'hard' to 'holy moly' well-within 20 mins of play and it has that "oh that was unfair" thing running right through it from the moment it gets harder.

    Real shame - some genuinely original stuff in there but the developer(s) needed to put someone in-front of it and watch them play it. Classic mistake - by the time you're done making a game you're REALLY good at it and you just can't see the brick-wall you've made.

    For me, a platformer must have a "Oh I screwed that up - try again" thing going-on constantly - not a "Oh cmon for fucks sake" thing ;)

  11. #18471
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    3,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The first time I "beat" veni vidi vici I ended up on the wrong side of that little block. I hated my life for a few minutes.
    My experience was worse.
    First time I "beat" it I ended up on top of the little block, and in the rush and excitement I moved to the wrong side.

  12. #18472
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,140
    Finished Dear Esther last night. Very impressive, and very bleak. The graphics were beautiful too, especially the caves. I ended up reading various explanations of the story for the rest of the evening. Games/interactive stories like these remind me why I love pc gaming.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

  13. #18473
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK, Derby
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Finished Dear Esther last night. Very impressive, and very bleak. The graphics were beautiful too, especially the caves. I ended up reading various explanations of the story for the rest of the evening. Games/interactive stories like these remind me why I love pc gaming.
    Going to be that guy again, but... ugh. Sorry, just ugh. Car crash, his wife was killed, he wanders around trying to look for Answers, including talking to the bloke in the other car, he doesn't find any, he kills himself (maybe not but I don't really care), the end. There, now these people can get on with over-analysing something that's actually worth the effort. Oh, I'm sorry, was I being flippant?

    Seriously, though, Dan Pinchbeck seems like a nice guy and I haven't played A Machine For Pigs, but people praising Dear Esther's writing (never mind actually thinking there's room for multiple interpretations of it) is just one of those things that make me think an awful lot of PC owners have very little idea what good writing is/can be. I have absolutely no problem at all with the idea of videogames-as-art-installation, that would be why I bought Dear Esther in the first place, but it was far from the best way to do it. Leaden, dreary, over-complicated prose that's comically eager to be Deep and Meaningful.

  14. #18474
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,323
    Its very hard to take some good pictures from XCOM :|

  15. #18475
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,487
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Finished Dear Esther last night. Very impressive, and very bleak. The graphics were beautiful too, especially the caves. I ended up reading various explanations of the story for the rest of the evening. Games/interactive stories like these remind me why I love pc gaming.
    I was totally floored by the ending, [spoilers]I had no idea I was playing as a seagull.[spoilers]
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  16. #18476
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    There, now these people can get on with over-analysing something that's actually worth the effort.
    Well, what is or is not worth the effort depends on who you're asking, really. It's a good thing people bother to analyse it in the first place, if you ask me. At least people still think about it after they've exited the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    people praising Dear Esther's writing (never mind actually thinking there's room for multiple interpretations of it) is just one of those things that make me think an awful lot of PC owners have very little idea what good writing is/can be. I have absolutely no problem at all with the idea of videogames-as-art-installation, that would be why I bought Dear Esther in the first place, but it was far from the best way to do it. Leaden, dreary, over-complicated prose that's comically eager to be Deep and Meaningful.
    Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. My praise didn't concern the writing alone, but the atmosphere as a whole, in case that wasn't clear. I can see what you mean when you say that the writing is clunky in places, but then again, it's a whole lot more intriguing than the writing in 99% of the games I've played over the last few years. That people enjoyed Dear Esther doesn't mean they don't know what good writing is or can be. Hell, I happen to enjoy Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde too, but for a game/interactive story, Dear Esther made a commendable effort to offer at least some depth in it's story. In my opinion, every attempt at pushing a game's story beyond an excuse to slaughter enemies or solve puzzles should be applauded.
    Last edited by L_No; 27-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

  17. #18477
    Lesser Hivemind Node Kaira-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oulu, Finland
    Posts
    965
    I've taken up on Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup again after a long while (and waiting for the new pre-releases of ADoM fixing some bugs). It's... actually better game than I thought. I can't really explain why the game feels easier than ADoM despite me barely ever making to D:7 or deeper. And the unique monsters are a really, really great touch. Grinder and Sigmund can go off themselves, though. Nasty pair of guys to find on the same level.

  18. #18478
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    190
    What I liked most in DCSS coming from Nethack (both in ascii) is the beauty of the game.
    When I first started it it reminded me of the map generation of Dwarf Fortress : wonderful use of colors in the ascii art, rooms and places in DCSS are much more varied than in Nethack, it's beautiful to look at !

    But I never really got the time to get into it... But with a well-made tutorial and lots of guidance for beginners, it has become the roguelike I recommend to newcomers.

  19. #18479
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,591
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Warlock is great - it's punchy, short and combat-heavy - it's ideal for people (like me) who can't be arsed with Civ.
    Short, really ? Almost 15 hours in and no endgame in sight. IIRC my first game in Civ V was about that long but I spent a lot more time reading help text (something Warlock 2 could definitely use a little more of, it isn't impenetrable, yet the mechanics deserves more than just a few pop-ups here and there that are mostly focused on explaining the interface)

    I was totally wrong about the size of the map, about half of it was still undiscovered, my starting point was simply far, far south, too close to the border. I've met another Great Mage and more monsters I can shake a stick at (and still in the process of making my mind up whether monsters are a gaming element I like or not)

    I've also had to switch to windowed mode as full-screen suffered from performance issues that turned it into a seriously frustrating experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I had the same experience with it this week. It takes so very long to beat, the research system sucks (which I expect is to drive you to explore), and the city growth is just boring. The low-point was when I looted spells I couldn't cast (I guess because they're dlc?).
    I just wish there was no penalty for demolishing buildings: in more developed cities, growth can be quite small even using the growth-boosting spell, and any rearrangement is gonna cost you from several to many turns, I end up waiting for them to level up again instead.

    And I was wrong about spells too, I really spoke too quickly. Anyway, the only ones I can't cast so far are the Divine(?) ones where the relationship with the god granting them is strained.

    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    imagine if every time you turned a desert into fertile lands, it turned random patches of land into desert and that affected However, it can easily improve in these areas and create some real competition for Civ to respond to and grow from.
    Diplomatic relationship could use a little more flexibility for sure, but what's there is functional and the AI seems a bit less of a rabid dog than Civ's (which is kind of ironic), for one I've been able to mantain a working alliance (even though the consequences are not as important as the word should imply) for what seems longer than I ever managed in Civ V.

    BTW while I think it would be nice to take some more cues from Civ, I don't think they're truly direct competitors: besides the Civ-vish look on the surface, Warlock is a different enough game.

    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it.
    Don't be sorry, a consistent part of his RPSforum output is about how much he hates the game he's playing / has played / felt forced to review positively. (apologies Rooks, I'm sure there must be a game you were so very fond of)

    And don't be afraid to call it a game. First, it makes the whole it's-not-a-game!!1! crowd foam at the mouth which bodes well for their own death by suffocation, I can't really think of any positive outcome from applying strict (and strictly arbitrary) definitions of what constitutes a game - so the sooner we're rid of that mindset, the better.

    Second, by finding politically correct naming contortions only makes it look like it's something to be ashame of. Dear Esther is a wonderful game, and so The Stanley Parable, hopefully more will come and thaw some minds out.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  20. #18480
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    39
    See, I liked Dear Esther. But thinking about it... its not a game. Its not interactive fiction either. I guess I would describe it as a Digital Exhibition of some guys work. It is a landscape that you walk about in (thats as interactive as it gets really) where you can look at the art this guy has worked on, and listen to more art that this guy has written. But thats it. There is no gameplay. There is no interactivity. Its a space for you to explore and examine. And alot of effort has gone in to it.Now... The Stanley Parable is an Interactive Exhibit. In that it wants your input. I've only played the demo. But is it a game? Or is it an Interactive Exhibit?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •