Page 929 of 1258 FirstFirst ... 4298298799199279289299309319399791029 ... LastLast
Results 18,561 to 18,580 of 25147
    Activated Node
    If anyone would like to give Hearthstone (Blizzard's virtual CCG) a try, I got a spare key. I've been having lots of fun with it. 5-2 on my current Arena run, best I've managed so far.

Send a PM if you'd like to give it a try.

Update: Gone!
    Last edited by Aphyd; 05-12-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I bought a fancy monitor with an actually-decent stand so I could play this sort of game in portrait mode
    I own the same monitor and have been playing Pinball FX2 like a maniac for some time now. WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    I own the same monitor and have been playing Pinball FX2 like a maniac for some time now. WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS?
    I've got a U2312HM and this was the first thing that occurred to me when I saw the Pinball FX2 bundle. I even googled 'Pinball FX2 vertical' before I bought it and when I saw that it was not only possible but also extremely easy, I bought it almost purely for that reason. I'd say it's a game-changer but I've never played it horizontally so I wouldn't know. Finally, an awesome use for the portrait/landscape swivel mode thing this stand has.

Just finished the campaing on XCOM: Enemy Within. Great expansion, adds a lot while keeping the essence of the game intact. I hope the next expansion adds more to the strategic layer and air combat, as those are the weakest parts of the game.

Resuming my Trine 2 playtrough now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Just started playing Broken Sword Five. Wonder how long it is... just started the game but Im planing to play it for few hours later this evening. Maybe even beat the first episode in one sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphyd View Post
    If anyone would like to give Hearthstone (Blizzard's virtual CCG) a try, I got a spare key. I've been having lots of fun with it. 5-2 on my current Arena run, best I've managed so far.

Send a PM if you'd like to give it a try.

Update: Gone!
    I am very happy with this, thanks a lot! It's been a long time since I've had so many EULAs thrown at me with that battle.net registration, but once in the game it's a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    I really enjoyed Miasmata when I played it earlier this year.

It doesn't sound interesting on paper (walk around mapping an island and pick flowers to make medicine) but it felt so different to other games that it was very refreshing. As you say the cartography is superbly realised; I was always scanning the horizon for more statues to help me navigate.

A shame about the stupid monster thing that follows you around, it really doesn't fit the rest of the game. If there was a mod to get rid of it I would've done so.
    Oh, I agree. The creature was incredibly poorly conceived. Here you are walking around the island tripping over murder victims, and the game then has you run away from a horned panther instead of, I dunno, the knife murderer? Stupid. It's the gamiest thing about the whole game. It doesn't help that once it found me, it only succeeded at pawing ineffectively at the air, whereas I was swinging an axe ineffectively at the air. I'm not sure what the developers expected to happen there. I don't know if I've been carrying that axe around for completely no reason, because if it can't be used for self-defense, I have no idea what makes it more useful than a rock.

To be honest, I'm also getting slightly annoyed by the movement system; while it's head-and-shoulders above the vast majority of first-person games in terms of immersion, I'd really like it if I weren't sliding down hills so often when I'm trying to climb them. It sometimes takes way too long for the game to decide that I'm allowed to step forward again. But overall, it greatly enriches the game, because it makes traversing the terrain into a kind of emergent gameplay, where you have to judge for yourself where you can and cannot go. It's not a matter of "can I take this much fall damage?" but of "will I be able to slow my descent down this hill enough so that my momentum doesn't take me over the edge?" Just making the body of the player obey basic principles of physics already makes such a big difference to how engrossing the game becomes.
    Last edited by LTK; 05-12-2013 at 05:21 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I've got a U2312HM and this was the first thing that occurred to me when I saw the Pinball FX2 bundle. I even googled 'Pinball FX2 vertical' before I bought it and when I saw that it was not only possible but also extremely easy, I bought it almost purely for that reason. I'd say it's a game-changer but I've never played it horizontally so I wouldn't know. Finally, an awesome use for the portrait/landscape swivel mode thing this stand has.
    A few of the tables were practically unrecognizable. I pretty much had to re-learn Spiderman, and I'm still not as good as I was at the bleary cramped old one. My one lament is that, due to the way the stand is designed, it puts the USB ports on the top of the monitor when you swivel it.

It'd be nice to compile a list of games playable with TATE. All of my CAVE shmups on my 360 do it, so I've got that hooked up via VGA. I'm pretty sure that Jamestown was made to be played widescreen, but Gundemonium should have an option. I'll have to give them a shot. Audiosurf, I think, would be awesome at 1200x1920.

More appropriately - "what am I not playing"
    http://www.diabloglical.com/2013/12/...ame-purchases/

But, I think Deadspace - the whole series looks like a plan for December.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Guacamelee - I'm really enjoying this. It's a good challenging platform title with ok combat. I love the theme of it though and the music is top notch. My only gripes so far are that 1) I wasted an hour of my life trying to make an impossible jump using what skills I had available only to find out if I continued on a different path I'd have gotten double jump and 2) the combat sometimes feels a little bit unfair. There's periods of time where you're character is stuck in an animation coming out of an attack and you're completely defenceless from attacks. It's probably because of Batman spoiling me but I dislike it when I finish suplexing a guy that someone else can attack me and there's nothing I can do about it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Guacamelee - I'm really enjoying this. It's a good challenging platform title with ok combat. I love the theme of it though and the music is top notch. My only gripes so far are that 1) I wasted an hour of my life trying to make an impossible jump using what skills I had available only to find out if I continued on a different path I'd have gotten double jump and 2) the combat sometimes feels a little bit unfair. There's periods of time where you're character is stuck in an animation coming out of an attack and you're completely defenceless from attacks. It's probably because of Batman spoiling me but I dislike it when I finish suplexing a guy that someone else can attack me and there's nothing I can do about it.
    i am playing it too and I don't agree on the fights being unfair at all :P. You've got the Assassin's creed syndrome ! Please gentlemen, don't attack me while I am killing your friends. Yes, be good, stay in line :P

Sometimes the odds are just too difficult to beat ! (but it can be frustrating, yeah, positioning is key).

Otherwise, I agree it's a really nice game. i love all the easter eggs too !
    Last edited by Drayk; 05-12-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Nah I gave up on AssCreed because of it being a conga line of men. I've no problem with them attacking me while killing their friends, but I dislike that there's nothing I can do to avoid their attacks. The animations make it impossible to avoid some attacks. If I could roll out of the way, counter or block it wouldn't be an issue because then I'd feel like any time I got hit, that was my fault for failing to get out of the way or react quick enough. But when it's a case that I'm being hit by unavoidable attacks it just feels a little annoying.

And yeah the easter eggs are all great. I love how some of them change in the two worlds. Like the Minecraft one.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Saints Row 2. Jeez, what a horrible, ugly, mean-spirited little game this is. I mean, yeah, it was clearly put together by a committee who sat down and went "Clearly Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is the best GTA, so what could we make if we just threw out that story nonsense and carried on putting silly carnival mini-games on top?" and technically speaking they did a reasonable job (lots to do, constant numbers going up, game is clearly in love with its own silliness etc., etc.), but Christ, everything about it is just so... dull. Stillwater is a bland, vacuous place with not a shred of life or personality, the characters are tedious stereotypes devoid of wit or intelligence, the jokes are a pale shadow of GTA, the gameplay is full of teeth-grindingly frustrating little mis-steps (my favorite so far would be when warping to shore out of the water put me outside of the mission area without enough time to make it back)...

But at the same time it has just enough lizard-brain HAHAHA I KILL THINGS going on to keep me playing, on and off. It's not a bad game, it's just... Edge pretty much nailed it with

its blank-slate protagonist and fratboy misanthropy invites you to view society as nothing more than a bloodied rabble of interchangeable freaks, where the only human distinctions are whether you’re alive or dead, and the only character development is how you transition from the first state to the second
    It's Grand Theft Auto for people who think Grand Theft Auto is/should be literally nothing more than HAHAHA I KILL THINGS from now until the end of time, and it just makes me a little tired, and sad. I'm playing it because I bought the franchise pack, and I am genuinely interested in finally seeing what Third and IV did when they thought "Eh, sod this" and went crazy, but my God, I hope they're better than 2.

But GTA SA was the best GTA.

Steam ID

Saint's Row: The Third is the only one I've played, and I found the city to be quite boring too. I enjoyed the game very much, but the environment was bland.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Saint's Row: The Third is the only one I've played, and I found the city to be quite boring too. I enjoyed the game very much, but the environment was bland.
    Yeah, I think even mister Walker admitted as much? I can happily overlook a drab or poorly planned environment if the mechanics (long term or moment-to-moment) are great, so I'm basically hoping I will think the shooting, driving etc. have improved and the busywork (ticking off all the activities) is more engaging. I can't see how I could find them much worse. I didn't really expect to like 2 that much, I wanted to play it more so I could better appreciate Third and IV, but even taking lowered expectations into account it's hard for me to think of anything kind to say about this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    But GTA SA was the best GTA.
    I liked SA fine. Beat it and enjoyed pretty much all of it. But I am one of those people who rolls his eyes whenever he hears anyone bemoaning the lack of jetpacks et al in IV. Wacky nonsense does not make a game for me; the shit-spraying in SR2 is merely a silly diversion. I don't see anything anarchic or rebellious about it at all - it's just HAHAHA I COVER U WITH POO backed up by a few dumb dirty jokes. GTA IV is best GTA, IMO, and I still think new Liberty City is the finest, most evocative, atmospheric virtual world anyone's ever built for a videogame, jetpacks or no jetpacks.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 05-12-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I've always thought it was pretty simple, myself. To me, GTA is incredibly stupid, but takes itself incredibly seriously. I've never made it any significant distance in to one, the arcadey gameplay completely clashes with the sense of self-importance and the dour characters are hugely off-putting.

The SR games are incredibly stupid and know they're incredibly stupid. They embrace the stupidity. It'd be inappropriate to call them good, really, but at least they're fun IMO, which is more than I can say for any iteration of GTA.

Anyway, on topic I've been spending what little gaming time I've got messing around with Pinball FX2 and trying to learn how to play Wargame: Airland Battle.
    Last edited by vinraith; 05-12-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I hope they're better than 2.
    SRTT is surely better than SR2, but better stick to the story, I guess.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I've always thought it was pretty simple, myself. GTA is incredibly stupid, but takes itself incredibly seriously. I've never made it any significant distance in to one, the arcadey gameplay completely clashes with the sense of self-importance and the dour characters.

The SR games are incredibly stupid and know they're incredibly stupid. They embrace the stupidity. It'd be inappropriate to call them good, really, but at least they're fun, which is more than I can say for any iteration of GTA.
    Ah, but I am also one of those people who intentionally avoids running over people in GTA - because, well, I actually care about the world and not slaughtering thousands of people in it, at least to some extent. I take the games relatively seriously, and I hate most arguments about ludonarrative dissonance. I'd never call Rockstar truly great writers but I do think they're much better than most of the industry, and I don't mean that as damning with faint praise. I never finished GTA IV (a friend was 100%-ing it at the same time and watching him play sort of drained my will to carry on) but I beat and greatly enjoyed Gay Tony, for the story as much as anything else. One reason I hated GTA V was the narrative was such a dreadful step back.

At the same time, much as I hate pure ludological thinking, I can appreciate the joy in a game that's, well, just havin' a laugh, innit. I was tempted by SR the Third when it came out - the idea that they'd embraced the silliness - but was put off by the legacy of their thug life approach in the first two games (Whored Mode and all the rest of it). Still liked the sound of it enough that I was even more tempted by IV on hearing it had gone totally bugnuts, but couldn't afford it at full price. Saw the franchise pack in the sale and thought oh, well, why not? But I wanted to play at least a bit of 2 to get some context before moving on to the crazy stuff.

But while I can appreciate SR 2 is trying to be a game that's just about having a laugh, I think it does a mediocre job of it of it for the most part and I don't find it much fun. Every GTA I've ever played has been far better than this, to my way of thinking, for all their flaws. I can't see that it's any more wacky or rebellious or off-the-wall than marketing-driven TO THE XTREME! nonsense like Army of Two, for all the countless minigames and side missions and whatnot.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 05-12-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Deadpool. What a bloody fun game this is! Why did it get slagged off so much? It's a brilliant game and the fourth wall thing is rather amusing. It's probably because of all the dick jokes and the boobies, but the whole package (see what I did there?:) is so very enjoyable. And the combat is fun, more so than most other third person shooters/brawlers out there at the moment.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post

But while I can appreciate SR 2 is trying to be a game that's just about having a laugh, I think it does a mediocre job of it of it for the most part and I don't find it much fun. Every GTA I've ever played has been far better than this, to my way of thinking, for all their flaws. I can't see that it's any more wacky or rebellious or off-the-wall than marketing-driven TO THE XTREME! nonsense like Army of Two, for all the countless minigames and side missions and whatnot.
    2 is definitely the least "embrace the stupid" of the lot, and the most like GTA. It's the only one of the three I've played (2, 3, and 4) that I never finished, partly because it was markedly less wacky and partly because it was markedly more buggy. I think you're likely to find something more along the lines of what you want in 3, and I can't imagine you won't enjoy 4. For me it's very much 4 > 3 > 2.

And yes, you're getting something out of those GTA games I just never got, which is just down to taste. To be honest, I have no interest in/patience for crime narratives in general, so it's probably no surprise that I don't get anything out of GTA's storytelling. If I find the Sopranos unengaging, what hope is there for Rockstar?