Page 933 of 1236 FirstFirst ... 4338338839239319329339349359439831033 ... LastLast
Results 18,641 to 18,660 of 24715
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Also, I'm becoming ever so slightly addicted to Spelunky HD.
    I'm still pretty addicted to the Vita version. I can somewhat reliably make it to the jungle now, and see the ice caves every now and then. I'm still 100% rubbish at it though!

On PC, I'm playing Mystlike horror series Dark Fall with Mrs Jams. They're pretty good for what they are. I imagine that if you like that kind of adventure game they're great, but it's not a genre that's ever appealed much to me.
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 09-12-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Finished Trine 2. I think that my compulsion to collect everything hampered my enjoyment of the game. By the end I was tired of it and just wanted to finish it. I spend the last three or four chapters going as fast as I could ignoring most pick ups.
    The boss fights were terrible too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    Ok, I played The Stanley Parable for exactly 91 minutes. Sorry, but this 'game' sucks. There were maybe a couple of moments of interest or even tension, but if this is what we hold as interesting development in the medium, I think I'll stay with the likes of Deadpool and have some silly fun while playing an actual game.
    No worries if you don't like it but I think if you were expecting "an interesting development in the medium" then you were led to expect something the game doesn't offer. It's a deconstruction of the medium rather than an attempt to develop it. Personally I reckon it did a fine job of it too; though it does have its weaknesses (and I'm not sure the lingering belief that these weaknesses being some sort of meta-commentary on themselves particularly excuses them).

It's a witty, silly and at times thought provoking critique on the design of games, the way we play them and the way developers want us to play them. As such it often falls into not actually being "fun" to play and as such people's mileage with the game may vary depending on how interesting/effective/witty you find it.

Certainly I was done with it an about 4-5 hours and can't imagine playing it again but as a counterpoint to the view above I found it worthwhile and enjoyable.

Network Hub
    Played a little more DishonoUred and I may have been a little hasty in my assertion that the game was a little on the easy side as SPOILERS my mission to Dunwall Tower to eliminate the Lord Regent necessitated copious reloading I also made the mistake of knocking him out before I spoke to the Propaganda Officer meaning I finished the mission with one 'body found' mark as the Lord Regent was quietly snoozing at the bottom of some stairs somewhere. I also managed not to pick up the Skeleton Key in the previous mission somehow. Also, curse your sudden but invitable betrayal etc. /SPOILERS

Tried some Terraria too. What with all theStarbound talk with the recent release of the beta. Like Minecraft I'm not really sure what to do with myself. I've built myself a little house with some extra rooms for NPCs and the like (which they resolutely refuse to move in to) but now don't really have an idea as to where to go next. I have a full iron suit of armour and weapons/tools now but...lost.

According to Steam I played less than 6hours over the last 15 days... I am starving.

I am in the last chapter of Dust: An Elysian tails. I hope I can finish it soon. Then i'll probably gonna play something entirely different.Maybe Shadow Warrior.

Still playing Guacamelee on the vita in the PT. I am also in the last level. This game is a Gem. You always have a new power to play with, the graphic universe is gorgeous and the challenge is perfectly balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I'm playing Gran Turismo 6. It's the best Gran Turismo so far. I've got it hooked up to my PC sim rig and I'm only using my G27 so it's pretty much indistinguishable from a PC game (albeit low resolution, no mods, etc.)!

Quote Originally Posted by EOT View Post
    Tried some Terraria too. What with all theStarbound talk with the recent release of the beta. Like Minecraft I'm not really sure what to do with myself. I've built myself a little house with some extra rooms for NPCs and the like (which they resolutely refuse to move in to) but now don't really have an idea as to where to go next. I have a full iron suit of armour and weapons/tools now but...lost.
    Sounds like you haven't played a lot? Keep exploring, there's more than what hits the eye in the first hours. Terraria offers a lot more guidance than the traditional sandbox-y approach of Minecraft: there's scripted events, bosses, and more: NPCs will provide clues on how to trigger the bosses; to fight the first one, talk to the Guide. As for setting up the NPCs, the rooms need to satisfy a minimum set of requirements - IIRC a minimum of room, some furniture, lights and a door, but better check the wiki. Also, keep exploring.

IMO Terraria is also different because the stuff you build is functional, in Minecraft you might as well build for the sake of building, Terraria isn't really that satisfying in itself, but offers a reward in terms of progression instead. That said, Minecraft has gone through a lot of changes, which is why I'm trying to get back into it at least a little, figure out how it works now as a game.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    I suddenly remembered that I was planning to replay Tribes Vengeance for like eight years. Then I remembered why this game is so thoroughly forgotten by everyone me included. It starts with a flashback cutscene then goes into other flashback cutscene and then goes into a lenghty tutorial-exposition. And it's all a flashback of course. Then in the present you have to play variations of CTF and arena deathmatch and even a duel for an hour. If you are good. This game sure took some liberties with gamedesign, I wonder if anyone in Irrational was ever asking himself if poeple are going to like it. Anyway, it feels dated as hell. In the same year we got to an era that, I think, is still not over. Compared to HL2 or Doom 3 this game looked mediocre and played like something from 90's. I still loved it, of course and I think I still do, a little. I mean just look at the protagonist, she is SO DARK AND EDGY.
    Replayed it a few years back and still loved it. There are some missions I can't stand - defending ones and any involving heavy loadout - but otherwise the sense of movement was great. It was just fun to play with a silly space opera of a plot, which made a nice change from the other FPS of 2004. Given the choice between that, the overly-serious trigen clusterfuck of Far Cry, or the linear pointless-physics-puzzle filled Helf-Life 2: I'm going with the game that let's me play as a cyborg assassin with a jetpack.

Even more Crusader Kings 2. My marriage politics are finally paying off. The slightly homosexual ERE Basileus now has a claim on Italy, Auvergne and Lotharingia. If all goes well, the Roman Empire will be restored around the year 1100.
    After that, I'll just have to get rid off those pesky undead craftsman worshippers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    After that, I'll just have to get rid off those pesky undead craftsman worshippers.
    And in the game.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Also, I'm becoming ever so slightly addicted to Spelunky HD.

I think what I like about it most is watching yourself get better at the game. I'm still amazed that I can pull of these heroic, Indiana Jones style jumps across chasms, that wouldn't dare attempt before. I can remember a time when I started sweating whenever a bat flapped its way toward me. Now it's just a minor annoyance, waiting to be whipped.

Spelunky has 'layers' (for want of a better word), which aren't apparent when you first play it. At first, you just want to not die, and maybe get to the jungle intact. After a while, when you improve, you you want more than that, and want to progress further. Of course by doing so, you die more, and learn more in the process. It's a fascinating cycle.

I'm on the verge of reaching Hell for the first time, and when I get there, I know I'm going to die. A lot. But the satisfaction of making it there will be worth it.
    I felt that way. I was enjoying it. And then ... then I wanted to complete the shortcut to the frozen cave. I was getting really good at certain things, watching my progress, enjoying certain mistakes for the craziness rather than just swearing. But ... then I needed a shotgun. Shotguns didn't seem that rare to me. Until I needed one. I started killing shopkeepers just to try and get a damn shotgun. The first time I saw a shotgun in a weapons shop after being asked for one, dozens of plays later, it was in the first (jungle) level ... I had no money. I could have meticulously collected enough and then come back. I just stole it instead. This almost worked ... but in the last level I was faced with the most ridiculous assortment of enemies right near the exit (not counting the angry shopkeepings) I have yet seen in the game. Amusingly, I instead died when I jumped a millimeter or so too far and was spiked to death (which was fair enough, for all I know I might have survived the unfair death gauntlet).

The next time I came across a weapons shop was in the black market. Dozens and dozens of plays later (many successfully getting me through to the caves without a shotgun). But I couldn't get to it. Without killing a boomerang warrior. Who was standing right next to a friggin shopkeeper. I couldn't use the whip. I couldn't use bombs, I couldn't walk past. I tried making a run for it, but the bastard promptly chucked his boomerang, pegging the shopkeepers with it and raining shotgun blasts down on my head.

I'm just ... I know. If I were good enough I could have pulled off my kill-a-shop-keep-and-make-it-to-the-end plan. But ... it was exhausting. Even spread out across multiple play sessions. I played VVVVVV until I got all 20 trinkets. I play Super Hexagon and love it. I don't mind brutally difficult games, procedural games. And until now, I've enjoyed Spelunky. But the magically disappearing shotgun merchandise had me so exhausted and felt, sheer chance or not, so mean spirited that it'll be a while before I can play Spelunky without feeling bitter about the damn thing.

I was worse than that, too. I left out that I was on 2-4. On the last level. It was the friggin' black market and it was the last level. Everything was available. I'd played beautifully--I had bombs, ropes, 3 health, and tons of treasure. And I couldn't buy the shotgun because some damn NPC was positioned just so such that I couldn't get to it without the NPC aggroing the shopkeepers.

It was kind of amusing to be called a terrorist when I dropped a boulder on a shop I didn't know existed. But this was just miserable. There was nothing I could have done.

Ok. Now I feel better. Deep breaths. Cat gifs. All is well.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 10-12-2013 at 08:58 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post

Ok. Now I feel better. Deep breaths. Cat gifs. All is well.
    Sorry i had to post this !

I also completed Dust: An Elysian Tail last night... but I first had to go back where I fought Tehys because I didn't take the shock power... that's a design fault because I didn't saw it the first time around. The ending was a bit of a let down, Gaius was a weak boss, and the last level was the least interesting. You also don't get what are the motivation of Gaius and his Army or don't discover more about the Elysian world. It's still an impressive game for a single guy !

Back to Guacamelee on vita now !
    Last edited by Drayk; 10-12-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    Sorry i had to post this !

I also completed Dust: An Elysian Tail last night... but I first had to go back where I fought Tehys because I didn't take the shock power... that's a design fault because I didn't saw it the first time around. The ending was a bit of a let down, Gaius was a weak boss, and the last level was the least interesting. You also don't get what are the motivation of Gaius and his Army or don't discover more about the Elysian world. It's still an impressive game for a single guy !

Back to Guacamelee on vita now !
    I also had to go back in Dust exploring the maps because I didn't take the fire power. I also don't remember seeing it first time around (else I suppose I would have picked it up). So I couldn't get into the last zone until I went back and found it.

Feel the same way as you about the last level and the last boss. Didn't like that you had to fight him 4 times in what was essentially the same fight again and again.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I fought a cyborg t-rex called Tronnosaurus in the post-apocalyptic sewers of Las Vegas while my entire party was equipped with chainsaws.
    WASTELAND.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Put a few hours into Saints Row: the Third now, and oh thank God I do indeed find it a huge improvement over the second game. I could still nitpick, no question, but right now I'll just say yes, while I'm not blown away I basically find it a lot of fun where I felt SR2 wasn't. It is annoying that all the pay-to-cheat DLC from The Full Package is automatically applied whether you want it or not, though, plus you can't turn it off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Thought I would have a go at Capsized.

Some joker decided to put in the PC version that controller is NOT recommneded for beginners, so I tried playing it with a keyboard. Ho Ho, what fun that was.

Playing it with a pad though it was nice. Only really got to tinker with it but I enjoyed the graphics, animation, the sound of a platform man going "HUP" when jumping, the fact that everything is hostile and alien. I'm rubbish at science/physics but I am enjoying seeing heavy things be heavy and manipulative things be manipulated, and jostling for space in..space during the combat. There were quite a few moments where I want "oh" in a surprised or happy way.

Lost my first mission on Skulls of the Shogun yesterday too, but it's a good 'un. I like to play just a few missions at a time though. It might be, and it feels odd to say this, too long to play in any other way, unless they really switch up later. But yeah, its' a rock solid rule set, funny, and a decent challenge. Also pleasingly dynamic for a wargame, which I find tend to either just devolve into wars of attrition or a massacre. It's quite possible for the shape of the map to change frequently and notably without much warning, but also without that change being incomprehensible or gamey.
    Last edited by sonson; 10-12-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ugh, dear Jamestown devs, I like your game, I do, but...

1) You should never, never, never force players to play on a particular difficulty to see a complete, finished "narrative". True Final Bosses are okay. Entire levels locked away behind higher difficulty levels are not okay.

2) The only acceptable way to play any shooter, vertical or horizontal, is on one credit. One. Ideally on one life, to be honest, but eh, we'll make allowances. Some people will protest about this; they are weak. Ignore them. Anyway, the point is, the emphasis on the "Continue?" screen should be that all right-thinking human beings will instantly think "NO!", and want to restart the level in a fraction of a second. You should facilitate their ability to do this as quickly as possible. Perhaps I'm missing the button to make the countdown go away, but as it stands it seems the opposite is true and pressing anything respawns me. This does not mean I have another chance to win; it means I've failed.

3) On that note, your difficulty curve is way too bloody hard. No, I did not beat level 3 on Legendary: I spammed my way through it by dying repeatedly, because enemies fire way too god damned fast and your ship moves like a snail. Your game is pretty good, but it lacks a certain level of polish and commitment - how great would it have been if you could, say, instantly cancel Vaunt, then recharge it for another shield burst, but balance that against scoring very little?

4) I know none of these things will happen, I'm just saying.

5) Still liking the game a lot, though. And that soundtrack is amazing. Hitoshi Sakimoto would be proud.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 10-12-2013 at 06:58 PM.

The Game of Game of Thrones: The Role Playing Game.
    I'd abandonded it half-way through it. Combat is pretty dull even if it has some interesting things. Voice acting is terrible. The story is somewhat interesting but it's failing to capture me. I'll stay with it a bit more but if it doesn't click with me soon I guess I'll abandon it for good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Jamestown
    Stage 5 also has physical obstacles that you have to dodge a la Gradius (or I guess Salamander would be the more accurate comparison, what with it being a vert-scroller.) Yup.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Thought I would have a go at Capsized.

Some joker decided to put in the PC version that controller is NOT recommneded for beginners, so I tried playing it with a keyboard. Ho Ho, what fun that was.

Playing it with a pad though it was nice. Only really got to tinker with it but I enjoyed the graphics, animation, the sound of a platform man going "HUP" when jumping, the fact that everything is hostile and alien. I'm rubbish at science/physics but I am enjoying seeing heavy things be heavy and manipulative things be manipulated, and jostling for space in..space during the combat. There were quite a few moments where I want "oh" in a surprised or happy way.
    How have you not fallen completely in love with the movement options in that game? Specifically the energy rope thing. I had the time of my life moving around in that game; jetpacking around, running out of fuel and into trouble, launching away from violent things with the impact hammer, energy roping onto a platform as I fall by then reaching the nadir of my swing bare metres off the ground and elastically rocketing back up into the air, blasting bullets all the way*.
    It just felt good. It looked at metroidvania 2D games with their platforming jumpy sections (which often play like a masochistic version of snakes and ladders) and said "Fuck that: here's physics, a sticky bungie cord, wall-climbing and a jetpack".

*And that was with mouse and keyboard, as I preferred the extra precision.