Page 94 of 1239 FirstFirst ... 448492939495961041441945941094 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 24778
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    ArmA II is pissing me off. 9 missions in and the game has suddenly turned into a makeshift real time strategy, without bothering to brief me on the controls. Boot Camp only seems to go through the basics, I don't know what buildings do what, or how to form teams from newly purchased units. (I select a few and say form red team or some drivel, but they still remain on my squad. I'm trying to get them to be their own separate entity.)

I have renewed my love of Blood Bowl LE. I am having much more fun on my third attempt now that I have the hang of turnover mitigation. Reading the RPS reports of the BB league still requires a dictionary, though.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Had a bit of a go at the Geneforge 1 demo last night. And whilst the game is a little clunky and obtuse, there's definitely something there. The writing is great, and straight off the bat it establishes a really strong atmosphere.
    I'll grab this sometime in the future when my backlog is more like a backtwig. If it's on sale again around Christmas I might get it then, but I'm not really concerned about the price 'cause even at full-price it's only $20 for 5 games.

Would love to see Vogel work on something that isn't fantasy though. Even though Geneforge is non-Tolkien, non-generic fantasy, it'd still be great to see him focus on a modern or sci-fi setting.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Stealth Bastard: Tactical Espionage Arsehole

Finished my third playthrough of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, which I bought again, this time in the Steam sale. Still holds up brilliantly; I'd expected to play it for a bit and then return to another game but had to complete it to the end. Played a high Ranged Toreador character this time around, which made a change from my previous melee characters. At the start it's more difficult, but once you have high Ranged, decent weaponry and celerity (that is, "bullet time") you can make mincemeat of bosses. The combat _really_ isn't as bad as people say; it's just that the combat scenarios at the end are overlong and of course the game doesn't offer as much as choice as previously.

Finished my first playthrough of Bioshock. Spoilers might be around. Really enjoyed it although I certainly feel like the game could have been even a better one. Medium difficulty proved to be challenging only in parts but when it did the atmosphere was thrilling. Its a bit of a shame that some of the plasmids make the game nearly too easy, especially Camouflage takes a lot of tension out of most scenes. The end boss was too easy for my tastes, I was able to beat him using only trap bolts and one or two electric shocks from the plasmid.

Now I'll hop right into the second game.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Gave up on the optional missions in DoW2 because it became apparent that they really were never ending, and were being repeated (and not just the 'Defend the Spire/Array/Foundry' missions, but the 'Hunt down Xeno X' missions too). Which is sort of annoying. I was travelling around the sector stomping any and all Xenos and I still can't get the satisfaction of having a clean sector before moving on to the final mission. I guess it makes sense though, 'cause it would seem silly if everyone's being all dramatic about this Tyranid invasion that has been neatly nipped in the bud everywhere else but this one mission area.

I decided to go straight onto Chaos Rising - just to have a look at the first mission and see how things have changed. Seems good so far, but the first mission was a lot longer than I was used to from vanilla DoW2 and it kept me up a fair bit later than I should have let it... Which is a comment on both the quality of the game and the pain-in-the-arse lack of mid-mission saves.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    MW3. I only played around 75 minutes of the campaign and two FFA matches. So far the SP is easily the best in the series - it's faster, more fluid, steals more movie scenes, actually makes sense, has no blinding blood jelly, sounds and looks better. It feels more down to earth compared to MW2 and BLOPS.
    As for the MP... Well, it doesn't feel as instantly broken as MW2 did. I got a strong COD4 vibe in the short time I played. Not happy that they removed the heavy customisation introduced by BLOPS.

Ghostbusters: The videogame.
    It's fun. I'd like to say that it's doing for Ghostbusters what Arkham Asylum did for Batman but it's not as tight as the caped crusader game.
    It is a solid game, not very innovative, very gamey on some aspects. It's fun but not remarkable. BUT they really captured the setting. If it wasn't a ghostbusters game it would be a regular game. But it is a ghostbusters game, and it's great at that (a little too much fanservice, but nothing serious). Characters are great Akroyd is amazing as Stanz but Bill Murray's performance is so uninspired you could almost touch the disinterest.
    I'm near the end and I've enjoyed it very much.
    protip: Play in casual difficulty. It's not a hard game on normal, but it's annoyingly grindy.
    game developer protip: Just increasing the enemies damage output while reducing the player's isn't a good way to make a game more difficult.

http://www.simutrans.com/

Linked from The Wager comments.. it's TTD but different... and I can build canal boats that are pulled by horse teams!!! Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Shar_ds View Post
    http://www.simutrans.com/

Linked from The Wager comments.. it's TTD but different... and I can build canal boats that are pulled by horse teams!!! Amazing
    What is the AI like in Simutrans? I tried to get into OpenTTD but I just could never find a completed AI that made use of all the transport options.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Network Hub
    bastion, the binding of isaac, and sometimes blocks that matter and battlefield 3.
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    I decided to go straight onto Chaos Rising - just to have a look at the first mission and see how things have changed. Seems good so far, but the first mission was a lot longer than I was used to from vanilla DoW2 and it kept me up a fair bit later than I should have let it... Which is a comment on both the quality of the game and the pain-in-the-arse lack of mid-mission saves.
    I found Chaos Rising to be pretty awesome all together. It does away with some of what made vanilla DoW2 annoying (the defence missions) and the stories quite good overall. I've not even tried the 3rd expansion Retribution since they apparently scaled back the rpg elements and made the story alot more generic. Otherwise I'd have definitely purchased that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly Wugga Wugga View Post
    What is the AI like in Simutrans? I tried to get into OpenTTD but I just could never find a completed AI that made use of all the transport options.
    I can't say I've got that far! Still fiddling around with the edges to see how the economies work in this. And, tbh, I'm not the best judge anyway, I always used to just set out to bankrupt all the AI's in TTD just so I could have my own sandbox. Quite why I didn't just turn them off, I don't know!

Just replayed Batman: Arkham Asylum in anticipation of Arkham City, and I managed to find all the Riddler's secrets. I like how he starts off by mocking the player, and proceeds to get really pissed off when you solve them all, even accusing you of looking them up on the internet!

I'm also reaquainting myself with SWAT 4. Having to shout compliance before you're allowed to fire is a terrifying experience; it's like you're giving the advantage to the enemy. The perp is equally likely to give up, run off, or turn and shoot you. I certainly don't envy real SWAT officers after playing it. As much as I like Bioshock, I wish Irrational would get their asses in gear and make another one of these; it's bloody brilliant.

I just finished Black Plague (which I liked better than Overture) and now I'm onto Penumbra: Requiem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I know, when everyone was proclaiming bioshock game of the decade I just wanted swat 5. Imagine bf3's tech with 16 players locking down an entire suburb or apartment complex. The helicopters most effective weapon would be its beam of light, voip shouting over the tanoy "stand still so I can flash bang you" and the AI reacting to the volume and tone of your voice, sniper support being an actual player who can move for better sight lines.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Yeah well I want them to make a sequel to the single player of Tribes: Vengeance. To hell with this 'Shock rubbish.

Rock of Ages. What a frustrating game. Apparently ACE like to make partly infuriating pieces?

Edit: I remember Zeno Clash being lots of fun though. This one not so much which is a shame as the art style is superb.
    Last edited by Squiz; 10-11-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Remember: it's a race. Once you get slowing your opponent's ball down, er, down, the game becomes almost disappointingly easy. Fun, but easy.

There's definitely something about the actual playing-the-game bit of both Rock and Zeno Clash that lacks heft; it's as though they hammer out a proof of concept and then spend the remainder of their time and money on the aesthetic stuff. It's a testament to their skill that the aesthetic stuff is strong enough to support both games to the end.

Network Hub
    I've been playing a lot of Sonic Generations since buying it the other day, it's actually pretty good overall, been in the mood for a platformer as of late and it's fit the bill nicely.