Page 941 of 1208 FirstFirst ... 4418418919319399409419429439519911041 ... LastLast
Results 18,801 to 18,820 of 24141
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I just don't get how people can treat The Witcher - certainly the second game - as a deep and complex RPG (which large portions of the internet most certainly did; NeoGAF went absolutely mad over it). To me, it is no such thing, and all the evidence to indicate it is no such thing seems to be right there in plain sight. The most efficient way of playing the game is button-mashing, all the deeper systems are utterly superfluous, the story prioritises spectacle over any kind of lasting reflection... it's certainly spectacular, no argument there, it was fun to play, I don't regret buying it day one and I'm looking forward to the third game but I am being completely honest when I say despite its mediocre production values and dreadful design flaws I enjoyed Dragon Age II a lot more than the second Witcher, overall.
    The combat (and all the things related to it, brewing and crafting and such) has very little to do with why I think the Witcher 2 is a fantastic game. It's how the game places you in the narrative and how your actions are shown to impact the world around you, as well as how they sometimes lead to unforeseen consequences that you are powerless to stop. It's because it makes you question other people's motivations as well as your own, and essentially makes every character convincing as the protagonist in their own story. How you go about killing monsters is just an enjoyable distraction.

huh. formed a tribe! I never thought it would be possible. and considering my tendency to shower people with goods and end feuds (before raiding them again), I might consider changing my clan status to balanced again.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Network Hub
    I'm sharing my time between Europa Universalis IV and replaying Final Fantasy VII and Grand Theft Auto 4.
    Somehow i get bored with ACIV even faster then in AC:Brotherhood, the ticking boxes mechanism of these games is certainly fun while it lasts, when it ends it's hard to get back. Maybe i bounced back from it faster because world, piriting, naval combat are actually very well made but nothing you do have any lasting impact on the world, game like Sid Meirs's Pirates has at least basic economy of trading goods and some political system behind naval combat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Finished Mass Effect, not quite intentionally; I didn't think advancing the story line at that point would finish the game (nor did I think advancing it earlier would cut me off from finishing several side missions).
    Compared to the way things work in Dragon age: Origins, ME is sort of amateur-ish in some areas. I guess they did learn from it, though.

Shorter game than I expected and a bit more messy too. The dialogue system, as mentioned, is odd and imprecise, I only narrowly avoided sleeping with the Kaidan character, despite not having done anything in particular other than being friendly. Took the Reaper attack to get me out of that one... Which I find pretty annoying, really. Default romantic interest is bad, especially when it's with the dullest character in the game.
    The story telling is kind of wonky; it's the sort of game you have to play at least twice before things become clear (which then exposes the rather weak writing in places).

On the other hand, it does keep you playing, and it did make me want to play ME2.
    Which brings up a question; apparently Bioware has some horrid system that means you can only buy the DLCs from their store thing? I can't even find the DLCs on Origin... And the Digital Deluxe version only has some DLCs (and is quite a lot more expensive than the standard).
    How much do I miss by just getting the standard version on Steam?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Viking: Battle for Asgard: Someone mentioned that this game wasn't nearly as bad as its reputation might lead you to believe recently, which prompted me to remember that I'd gotten it in some long-forgotten Sega bundle. In the mood for something slashy and stupid, I figured I could do worse. First off, let's acknowledge the criticism, because the game was slammed upon release and quickly forgotten: the combat is basic, the stealth missions turgid, you have to mash the "B" button to do everything, and on that note, huge flashing buttons all over the screen, there appear to only be about five different enemy types, and after several hours it would appear that I've seen just about everything it has to offer. And yet... This game is surprisingly awesome?

To put this in perspective, most of the complaints I leveled right there are the exact same problems I have with the Assassin's Creed series. But the similarities don't end there! the gameplay revolves around exploring a beautiful, romanticized depiction of a historic setting, finding treasure chests, unlocking upgrades, completing missions, and generally acting as Viking-y as possible. Levels have a high degree of verticality, and fighting alongside your allies provides a great sense of scale (I can't even recall if this was in the earlier entries, but the fort assaults in AssFlag capture the feeling of being involved in a chaotic battle.) They're so similar, in fact, that I actually had to check the release date for Viking to be sure that it wasn't just trying to capitalize on the AssCreed formula. It was released in March 2008, five months after Ubi's first stabby foray — and is, might I add, a much better game than that lamentable title.

The combat is meatier, there's no Animus/Desmond bullshit, the tone is over-the-top enough to fit the Norse setting, exploration isn't nearly as guided or automatic... To be honest, I'm not sure why AssCreed grew into such a massive franchise where Viking failed. Maybe I'm missing something? Maybe my head is broken. Anyway, I don't plan to play it more than once a month or so, otherwise it'll become much too repetitive for me... Just like that first Assassin's Creed game.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Hmmm... Let me see. I believe you get Zaeed (a character) with the normal game, so that's not an issue.
    You will be missing out on the character Kasumi, who has her own "storyline" DLC. The DLC is so-so, but the character is nice, and every extra character is useful both in ME2 and ME3 of course.

"Lair of the Shadow Broker" is a really good DLC in my opinion, which finally resolves the storyline about the Shadow Broker and sets up a few things that aren't really explained in ME3 (at least I think so).

"Arrival" is the storyline bridge between ME2 and ME3. I haven't played this one, but apparently it explains Shepards situation at the beginning of ME3 a bit more.

Besides that, there are a few minor DLCs as well, one where you get some flying tank thingamajig, aimed at pleasing those who missed the dreadful Mako-sequences from ME1.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Wow. Apparently I am actually pretty good at Counterstrike. Picked up CS:GO last night, went to a few arms race maps, dominated the hell out of it until I started lagging out the ass (as in janky movement and warping), which I found VERY suspicious but don't care enough about. Apparently when I don't have the option to look down the sights all the good habits I learned from ArmA/OFP and SWAT (which are horrible for twitch shooters...) go away and I am back to my UT self.

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyB View Post
    "Arrival" is the storyline bridge between ME2 and ME3. I haven't played this one, but apparently it explains Shepards situation at the beginning of ME3 a bit more.
    Arrival is actually pretty good. A few good fights and some good opportunity to further flesh out your shepard.

THere was also Firefall or whatever it was called that was mostly a Mako (or whatever the new Mako was called) DLC. Kind of long and frustrating, but also fun for the quest and decision points
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyB View Post
    Hmmm... Let me see. I believe you get Zaeed (a character) with the normal game, so that's not an issue.
    You will be missing out on the character Kasumi, who has her own "storyline" DLC. The DLC is so-so, but the character is nice, and every extra character is useful both in ME2 and ME3 of course.

"Lair of the Shadow Broker" is a really good DLC in my opinion, which finally resolves the storyline about the Shadow Broker and sets up a few things that aren't really explained in ME3 (at least I think so).

Besides that, there are a few minor DLCs as well, one where you get some flying tank thingamajig, aimed at pleasing those who missed the dreadful Mako-sequences from ME1.
    Thanks. It looks like you get the same Cerberus Network content with both versions (the Zaeed thing and such) and the Digital edition only has some extra gear. As far as I can determine, you have to buy everything else, and that can only be done from Bioware?

... It's amazing they haven't made a complete version. And that their site is so shitty (not to mention Origin's; they can't even be bothered to tell you what you actually get there).
    Another instance where pirating the thing would cause a lot fewer headaches.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Wow. Apparently I am actually pretty good at Counterstrike. Picked up CS:GO last night, went to a few arms race maps, dominated the hell out of it until I started lagging out the ass (as in janky movement and warping), which I found VERY suspicious but don't care enough about. Apparently when I don't have the option to look down the sights all the good habits I learned from ArmA/OFP and SWAT (which are horrible for twitch shooters...) go away and I am back to my UT self.

Arrival is actually pretty good. A few good fights and some good opportunity to further flesh out your shepard.

THere was also Firefall or whatever it was called that was mostly a Mako (or whatever the new Mako was called) DLC. Kind of long and frustrating, but also fun for the quest and decision points
    People shouldn't forget overlord! It's quite light in terms of plot intersection with the main storyline, but it has hands down the prettiest environments in the game, and it's quite entertaining in and of itself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I should point out that even though I liked the combat in TW1 more than I like the combat in TW2, I still only finished the first one to see how the story played out. I'm only playing the second for the same reason. I really like the world and the story of the games and the characters are brilliant. The relationship between Geralt, Zoltan and Dandelion is brilliant, they're the most authentic bunch of mates in any video game ever.

Does anyone know if the english translation of the books is up to scratch? I'd always heard that the translation was a total mess and made the books pretty much worthless. But if they're decent I'd like to read them.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Does anyone know if the english translation of the books is up to scratch? I'd always heard that the translation was a total mess and made the books pretty much worthless. But if they're decent I'd like to read them.
    I've been reading them and don't see any issues. A girl I used to know who read the Russian translations skimmed The Last Wish (the short story introducing Yennefer) and said it was acceptable, so there is that.

What you likely heard about was how horrifyingly bad the minibook in the TWEE retail box was. Not sure what happened there, but there are a lot of typos and grammatical issues. The corresponding translation of the short story in The Last Wish (the collection of short stories) is much more acceptable.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Finished Mass Effect, [...]

Shorter game than I expected and a bit more messy too. The dialogue system, as mentioned, is odd and imprecise, I only narrowly avoided sleeping with the Kaidan character, despite not having done anything in particular other than being friendly. Took the Reaper attack to get me out of that one... Which I find pretty annoying, really. Default romantic interest is bad, especially when it's with the dullest character in the game.
    The story telling is kind of wonky; it's the sort of game you have to play at least twice before things become clear (which then exposes the rather weak writing in places).

On the other hand, it does keep you playing, and it did make me want to play ME2.
    I kinda found the opposite: I never got around to finishing Mass Effect (I stopped in the middle of the Virmire mission), partly because of the wonkiness of the story, [and some grumbles with the dialogue system not always doing what I wanted, including similar "default romance" issues to you; and, admittedly my own fault, burning out a bit on the Mako ore-collection game, due to being completionist].

Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    I kinda found the opposite: I never got around to finishing Mass Effect (I stopped in the middle of the Virmire mission), partly because of the wonkiness of the story, [and some grumbles with the dialogue system not always doing what I wanted, including similar "default romance" issues to you; and, admittedly my own fault, burning out a bit on the Mako ore-collection game, due to being completionist].
    yeah, I don't blame you. I feel I liked it despite itself, sort of; it certainly does many things in a non-optimal way.

I nearly quit on Virmire too, but instead I ended up going back to a previous save in order to not be forced to kill a certain person I didn't want to kill. That part annoyed me too, it all depends on what you've spent points on. From trying numerous variations of dialogue before going back to the older save, I gather there's no way to avoid killing the person unless you have filled up Charm (or possibly Intimidate).
    It just made me feel like an asshole. Sort of the same way the dialogue options during some of the Saren council meetings made me feel pathetic. Not something that fit the Shepard character.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I just started up "Confrontation" for the first time (I think I got it in a Humble Bundle) thinking I would play it and see what kind of a game it was. But great googly-moogly, that introductory cutscene features a LOT of a ferocious man growling about the Armies of the Scorpion clashing with some Paladins or other over the blasted barren landscape of Ry'alonshal-kordian'pugglesville and etc.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Which brings up a question; apparently Bioware has some horrid system that means you can only buy the DLCs from their store thing? I can't even find the DLCs on Origin... And the Digital Deluxe version only has some DLCs (and is quite a lot more expensive than the standard).
    I think you have to buy them from the Bioware Social Network, which is a royal pain in the behind. At least that's where I got them ages ago and I got them in installer form which works with the Steam version as well, but that may have changed in the great EA/Steam upset of 2011 so don't take my word for it.

I haven't played Arrival. I found the heist job in Kasumi - Stolen Memory to be a nice change of pace for a while and liked the character though outside of her quest she's just a combat companion with occasional comments and no proper conversations. Overlord had a decent mini-story and some exploration but was fairly forgettable. Lair of the Shadow Broker adds an interesting area and some back story on characters. They're all pretty short, light-weight and not crucial to the story in any way. They're also fairly pricey for the amount of content they offer.

Network Hub
    I just tried to get back in to TW2 after reading earlier posts. I left it about 5 hours in several months ago when I was upgrading my PC...It's confusing as hell jumping in to the story half way through. Can't see myself ever finishing this now.

Unfortunately about half of my Steam library is in a similar state.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    I think you have to buy them from the Bioware Social Network, which is a royal pain in the behind. At least that's where I got them ages ago and I got them in installer form which works with the Steam version as well, but that may have changed in the great EA/Steam upset of 2011 so don't take my word for it.
    The Bring Down the Sky DLC you get for free with ME1 still works that way (apparently they actually made it easier to install than it used to be; no code requirement or anything now), so it's hopefully the same for the ME2 DLC.

I haven't played Arrival. I found the heist job in Kasumi - Stolen Memory to be a nice change of pace for a while and liked the character though outside of her quest she's just a combat companion with occasional comments and no proper conversations. Overlord had a decent mini-story and some exploration but was fairly forgettable. Lair of the Shadow Broker adds an interesting area and some back story on characters. They're all pretty short, light-weight and not crucial to the story in any way. They're also fairly pricey for the amount of content they offer.
    yeh, and from what I hear they never go on sale either. Odd that they could manage to make a complete version of Dragon Age: Origins that works with Steam (even if it's a fairly convoluted install procedure), but haven't bothered with ME2.

I guess I may as well just get the standard version on Steam (it seems likely it can be redeemed on Origin, like ME1 can, but that's probably not the case the other way around, from Origin to Steam).
    Judging from steamprices.com it has been down to 4.99 Euro in most sales the past year, so it'll hopefully happen again this sale.

Thanks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    A friend just bought me Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition so that's me sorted for the next two weeks.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just started Zenoclash II. I love it so far. The slight open world aspect is pretty cool, and the city looks like a 3D version of Sigil.

Fallen London fucked up with their Christmas Story, and I had to use the measly ten fate I had to fix it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Couple more hours of Saints Row IV. Controls are still wonderful, exploration is still fun and gleefully empowering, but yeah, mister Walker's still nuts. Lazy Metal Gear Solid gags are "superb writing" now? (Hey, Volition, you do understand that even Kojima's been aware his franchise is dumb since the PSOne days? Right?) Or pointless examinations of a character's inner life when they never had any in the first place? Or repeatedly dredging up the series' lore when it - look, who in God's name cares in the slightest what Johnny Gat says or thinks or does about anything, or ever did? And seriously, does no-one else get just a little bit bored doing the same repetitive minigames for the umpteenth time when either a) they've long since ceased to pose a challenge or b) you just can't get the hang of their weird internal logic? No? Just me? Oh well.

EDIT: Oh, and even the exploration has the shine coming off it a tad, since in Crackdown you saw the benefit of everything you collected almost instantly, and by the time you'd maxed out your abilities you were down to a manageable number of collectibles and the novelty of leaping around everywhere hadn't even begun to pall. But SR IV just... I don't remotely feel like I need any of the superpowers or upgrades I have left to collect, I've had jumping and gliding effectively maxed out for what feels like ages, and yet there's still clusters everywhere and I can't quite mute the little voice asking "What are you doing this for, exactly?", no matter how loud I shout that it's fun it's fun it's fun.

I do like the game, really I do, but I just felt like balancing out the cacophony of voices singing its praises, because while it'd be on my top ten (certainly on my PC top ten) I'm really not seeing it as OMG GOTY, and the reasons people give just have me raising an eyebrow. All of the eyebrows.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 21-12-2013 at 02:26 PM.