Page 947 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 4478478979379459469479489499579971047 ... LastLast
Results 18,921 to 18,940 of 25179
  1. #18921
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Little Inferno
    Heh, that's exactly how I played Little Inferno too. I feel like the message about false or meaningless in the form of unlocks was somewhat sidelined by the fact that that's all the game is, sort of like Blood Dragon trying to lampoon modern tutorials by annoying the ever-living shit out of me.

    Overlord: Kieron was right, it's Pikmin in Fable-land with Dungeon Keeper's story, and nowhere near as charming as any of those. Sending your horde to dismantle/destroy/digest everything in their path is pretty entertaining, but the wonky camera and controls coupled with the repetitive nature mean I probably won't be back anytime soon.

    QUBE: I don't think I've ever gone from "Oohhh that's clever" to "Get me out of this horrendous game" in so short a span. The puzzles are incredibly fiddly, which I might've been able to stand if it then didn't dump me into first-person platforming in a pitch-black room. I wish blood-sweating viruses upon the designer of those levels.

  2. #18922
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,686
    I'm a Counter-Strike noob but I discovered the Arms Race mode and... I'm awesome at it! Then I sold a crate for 2 Euros.
    I think I'm going to keep playing CS. Shit, I might even fire up TF2! Free money!

  3. #18923
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,344
    Finished Bioshock: Burial at Sea in an evening. The first time I died the game booted me back to desktop, and when I restarted I'd lost at least twenty minutes of scavenging. Oh Binfinite, I forgot how much I didn't miss you. That was also the last time I died because I set it back to easy, cause I'm only playing this for the story anyway. The ending was rather abrupt, I was expecting at least an hour more of wrapping things up and hearing Elizabeth's thoughts about Rapture, so I'm slightly disappointed. But for the price of a fancy sandwich it's actually just right.

  4. #18924
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,571
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Heh, that's exactly how I played Little Inferno too. I feel like the message about false or meaningless in the form of unlocks was somewhat sidelined by the fact that that's all the game is, sort of like Blood Dragon trying to lampoon modern tutorials by annoying the ever-living shit out of me.
    It's picked a fine line to walk, it cannot or doesn't want to risk the players to lose the detachment allowing them to look at themselves while playing and draw parallels, something that in a more complex game would take a lot more time to surface. As a consequence the two base mechanisms get old really fast, the only thing left to do is perfecting your multitasking at burning and buying to maximize speed. And now that I've written it, I realize that's another layer of meaning there.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  5. #18925
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK, Derby
    Posts
    1,966
    Playing Trials Evolution: Gold Edition. I like it: it's Trials, after all, it's tough to dislike. But I think the franchise is starting to sour for me - I haven't even beaten the "Easy" levels and I'm already tired of things about the game which I used to brush off without thinking. Anything other than a gold medal time is pointless, falling off at all is pointless - I mean, come on, the game all but explicitly states this, you need golds to keep unlocking as many things as possible and if you don't go as fast as possible or if you fall off at all (certainly on the levels I'm playing) you can't get them.

    I just keep thinking of Badland, my joint favorite game of the year, which is pretty much Trials' design philosophy reworked for mobile platforms (it was made by two ex-Red Lynx employees, after all), and I can't help but feel that throwing par times out of the window and putting no penalty on checkpoints makes for a far, far better game. Badland posits that simply finishing the level at all is a hell of an achievement and the only requirement there should be to keep going: then it throws in the optional objectives if you really want to prove what a badass you are. Some of Badland's "missions" are nigh-on impossible as far as I'm concerned, but I hardly mind. I'm happy to keep dipping into the levels every now and again to have a go at them. Trials I feel pretty wretched until I've got the gold, and then once I've got it - or more likely given up - I never want to go back to that level again.

    I'm sure this'll probably piss off someone who's sunk several hundred hours into Trials and sees hurling themselves against its various obstacles as the pinnacle of excellence in game design so I'll say it again; I like the game. I can see why some people really, really enjoy it. I just can't help but wonder if it's not headed down the same dead end where 2D side-scrollers or vertical shooters or the like are pretty much stuck - getting successively harder and more demanding because that's what the long-time fans insist on. Either way, while I'm sure I'll get a good few hours of enjoyment out of Evo Gold, I don't think it's what I'm looking for any more, sadly. I doubt I'll be buying the next one.

  6. #18926
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,140
    I played Super Hexagon for 45 minutes - and now my eyes and brain hurt. Will start on Mirror's Edge tonight, thanks to the kindness of Mnemnoch.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

  7. #18927
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,571
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    I played Super Hexagon for 45 minutes - and now my eyes and brain hurt.
    Take a break, but don't give up!
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  8. #18928
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,344
    Finished Shelter, also in an evening! Beautiful game. I want to paper my walls with those textures. It's amazing what artificial constraints can do for a game's aesthetic. Combined with the ambient guitar and percussion it feels a lot like a 3D puppet theater. Directed by David Attenborough.

  9. #18929
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,486
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Take a break, but don't give up!
    ENABLER.
    Either play on or rage quit and vow to never go back, there is no in-between.

    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Finished Shelter, also in an evening! Beautiful game. I want to paper my walls with those textures. It's amazing what artificial constraints can do for a game's aesthetic. Combined with the ambient guitar and percussion it feels a lot like a 3D puppet theater. Directed by David Attenborough.
    I was worried when i heard it was linear that I'd get stick on "puzzle" barrier where I had predetermined actions to perform, any issues there?

    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Will start on Mirror's Edge tonight, thanks to the kindness of Mnemnoch.
    It has a comprehension bump right at the start, once you crack it it'll be over before you noticed, play on easy and jump kick everyone.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 29-12-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  10. #18930
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,344
    I told myself I would give up on Super Hexagon. A few months later I noticed I had accumulated twelve hours of playtime. And still no Hexagonest!

  11. #18931
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,429
    DMC:Devil May Cry - I'm not sure the hate for this game, either from fan boys of the old series or the reviewers is justified. The new Dante is just as good as the old one, he's just different. The story is pretty good, there's great boss battles in it, the combat works well and it doesn't outstay its welcome.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  12. #18932
    Playing Teleglitch: Die More Edition. As someone said on RPS (commenter or contributor, I cannot remember) it really is 'bastard hard'. Getting better at kiting baddies into the void and knifing, but I immediately get stomped on level three. Shooting bad guys are tough.

  13. #18933
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK, Derby
    Posts
    1,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    DMC:Devil May Cry - I'm not sure the hate for this game, either from fan boys of the old series or the reviewers is justified. The new Dante is just as good as the old one, he's just different. The story is pretty good, there's great boss battles in it, the combat works well and it doesn't outstay its welcome.
    The biggest complaint the fanboys had which could actually be said to be justified was that the combat... well, it works, yes, but scoring higher grades is definitely heavily dependent on doing as much damage as fast as possible, versus doing specific moves and never repeating yourself like in the old games. I didn't really have much of a problem with this: I thought the old games had become far too demanding, and I felt the feel, the heft and the feedback from all the weapons in DmC was still terrific even if I wasn't being challenged to do anything too demanding with them. Plus I found Son of Sparda difficulty actually bloody tough (I still need to go back to that some time). But still. The point is basically valid.

    (Of course, as I never tire of saying, I hated the old Dante and never understood how anyone could think he was at all cool, so I'm decidedly biased towards Ninja Theory's take on the character.)

  14. #18934
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    The biggest complaint the fanboys had which could actually be said to be justified was that the combat... well, it works, yes, but scoring higher grades is definitely heavily dependent on doing as much damage as fast as possible, versus doing specific moves and never repeating yourself like in the old games.
    Yes, well, when you're forced to use the same weapon with the same 3 moves against certain enemies (The same enemies you fought before! But on fire!) the old combo system would seem kind of fucking broken, wouldn't it.

  15. #18935
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Take a break, but don't give up!
    Don't worry, I won't ;)

    It wasn't a ragequit, it was more of a "preserve my mental health-quit". The game is very hypnotizing, and I only managed 30 seconds on the lowest difficulty.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

  16. #18936
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,344
    Quote Originally Posted by InternetNiceGuy View Post
    Playing Teleglitch: Die More Edition. As someone said on RPS (commenter or contributor, I cannot remember) it really is 'bastard hard'. Getting better at kiting baddies into the void and knifing, but I immediately get stomped on level three. Shooting bad guys are tough.
    I had the same problem until I made it a habit to walk into unexplored rooms with my gun drawn and ready. By moving the reticule ahead of you, you can see farther than you would otherwise, so it's easier to spot enemies ahead. If you see a group of guards in the distance, unload your pistol on them as fast as you can. If you can hear them coming, grab a shotgun and hide around the corner, and them blast it in their face.

    I haven't played Teleglitch in a while. I unlocked the level 6 checkpoint, and the standard gear that it gives you includes a fusion motor. I never once found a fusion motor anywhere in that level, or the previous ones. That's just fishy.

  17. #18937
    Lesser Hivemind Node mnemnoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    521
    Currently playing Cook, Serve, Delicious. I don't know why I'm enjoying this game as I have lots of AAA games in the backlog.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

  18. #18938
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,429
    Mirrors Edge - now I have a headache. It's a good game so far with the only annoyance I have being the guy talking to you over the radio never seems to shut up and keeps repeating the same things over and over again.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  19. #18939
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,012
    Currently playing CastleStorm. Fun little 2D castle-knocker-downer. Its not perfect, but its fun to pass some time with. Also playing Chivalry now and then, when I feel like blowing off some steam through gaming. It also has its issues - why do archers exist in this game, again, and why are they allowed in Free for All games - but its fun in smaller doses.

    As for DMC...its terrible. True it starts off fun enough. But then the previous mini-bosses reappear in groups as part of repeating waves in tedious miniature arena battles. The platforming sections recur too often, drag on too long and just generally wear out their welcome. The enemies go from straight up brawlers to gimmicky mini-bosses far too quick, and the gimmicks reappear far, far too often. Despite quality world building and some decent to good writing here and there, DMC is, in terms of game play, everything tedious and repetitive thing you've come to expect from every brawler ever, without even the slightest deviation or innovation, even in places where those would have improved the game.

    tl;dr on DMC: Too long, too gimmicky, too repetitive, to ever be a good a game. It should have been a movie anyway, since nothing you do during game play segments weighs at all in the cut scenes.

  20. #18940
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Currently playing CastleStorm. Fun little 2D castle-knocker-downer. Its not perfect, but its fun to pass some time with. Also playing Chivalry now and then, when I feel like blowing off some steam through gaming. It also has its issues - why do archers exist in this game, again, and why are they allowed in Free for All games - but its fun in smaller doses.

    As for DMC...its terrible. True it starts off fun enough. But then the previous mini-bosses reappear in groups as part of repeating waves in tedious miniature arena battles. The platforming sections recur too often, drag on too long and just generally wear out their welcome. The enemies go from straight up brawlers to gimmicky mini-bosses far too quick, and the gimmicks reappear far, far too often. Despite quality world building and some decent to good writing here and there, DMC is, in terms of game play, everything tedious and repetitive thing you've come to expect from every brawler ever, without even the slightest deviation or innovation, even in places where those would have improved the game.

    tl;dr on DMC: Too long, too gimmicky, too repetitive, to ever be a good a game. It should have been a movie anyway, since nothing you do during game play segments weighs at all in the cut scenes.
    Nah, going to have to disagree with you completely there. That's pretty standard far for these sort of games to introduce a new enemy type and then include them into standard waves of enemies. As for the complaints people are saying "oh you have to use the same 3 attacks on one weapon", that true if you're being unimaginative and not mixing it up. By the second boss, whose not that far into the game you've unlocked 2 angel and 2 demon weapons, each with a variety of their own attack patterns. None of the "mini-bosses" felt gimmicky. You handle them the same way you do every other enemy, by attacking and dodging at the right time.

    The platforming sections in this one are done better than any previous DMC, it flows perfectly.

    What did you want to be doing in an action game like DMC other than pounding on enemies with some platforming thrown in for measure?

    And as for too long, the game clocks in at about 9-11 hours. It's hardly Persona 4 Golden Edition.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •