Page 948 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 4488488989389469479489499509589981048 ... LastLast
Results 18,941 to 18,960 of 25163
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    As for the complaints people are saying "oh you have to use the same 3 attacks on one weapon", that true if you're being unimaginative and not mixing it up.
    Again, I think the complaint from fans was that you were not really encouraged to mix it up. Other than fire and ice vulnerabilities there's nothing to favor either weapon set bar raw damage on normal difficulty. There's a reason I unlocked 500 demon weapon kills while I'm still a looong way off 500 with angel weapons.

Again (again), though, I really didn't mind much. Son of Sparda difficulty was at least beginning to make me think of using the angel glaives to lock enemies down, and even without that, punching enemies or spamming the ground slam with the demon fists might have been cheesy but it never really got boring. Like I said, the feedback was just so satisfying for me I could happily do that hundreds of times in a row.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The angel weapons favor AoE attacks, useful for when you're being attacked from all sides or stuck in the middle of a crowd and the demon weapons favor power and strong knock back effects. That's in addition to as you mentioned, the fire and ice thing.

And you do get more points for switching up your choices and rotating between the weapons, even between the two angel weapons and two demon weapons. You could get "a lot" of points just using one weapon sure, but if you wanted the most points, you needed to alternate your weapon choices and moves.

Was it "too" easy to get S ranks on normal difficulty? Perhaps. But then just go play on the harder ones. You get nephlim from the start and then you get Son of Sparda after that.

Either way, I enjoyed the hell out of it. I get the impression most people who hate against it are just stuck in the mud on it and don't want to accept it as a decent game because a) combat changes or b) dante changes.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Ground slam with the fists is the only AoE you need. Spam that over and over and it makes mincemeat of everyone bar ice enemies and flying types. The angel grapple was seriously the only move from that set I found myself actively deciding to use because I thought it would be more appropriate to whatever the combat situation was at the time (I can't remember off the top of my head which one drags you to them and which is vice versa). And it's really, really easy in most fights to repeatedly rack up SSS ranks by just smashing everyone with random demon weapons and firing off the Redeemer every so often. Even witches can only take so much of that. Mixing up moves and weapons has much, much less impact on your score than simple raw damage (either that or the game must be even easier for veterans than I thought!).

Of course all this is much less true for the harder difficulties, I agree (though not completely without merit).

Either way, I enjoyed the hell out of it. I get the impression most people who hate against it are just stuck in the mud on it and don't want to accept it as a decent game because a) combat changes or b) dante changes.
    And ultimately, yes, I'm more or less with you on this. Just saying, much as I can't stand old Dante myself, I have to admit his defenders do make some perfectly good points about new Dante.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 29-12-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nah, going to have to disagree with you completely there. That's pretty standard far for these sort of games to introduce a new enemy type and then include them into standard waves of enemies. As for the complaints people are saying "oh you have to use the same 3 attacks on one weapon", that true if you're being unimaginative and not mixing it up. By the second boss, whose not that far into the game you've unlocked 2 angel and 2 demon weapons, each with a variety of their own attack patterns. None of the "mini-bosses" felt gimmicky. You handle them the same way you do every other enemy, by attacking and dodging at the right time.

The platforming sections in this one are done better than any previous DMC, it flows perfectly.

What did you want to be doing in an action game like DMC other than pounding on enemies with some platforming thrown in for measure?

And as for too long, the game clocks in at about 9-11 hours. It's hardly Persona 4 Golden Edition.

Just the fact that all of this "pretty standard fare for this genre" is the problem. Why/how do more not see this issue? This genre, like so many others, needs to evolve. It needs to change. Development of games in this genre is done according to one single template. One. Every game in the genre follows the template, and for some reason, this bothers no one.

Its like Call of BattleField: Metal of Duty. Only, with swords, and platforming.

Of course, the problems with the template itself are myriad. A linear story, interspersed with gratuitous, violent combat which means literally nothing. There exists story, and there exists game, and never shall the two meet. You could just watch the cut scenes, not play a single level, and miss literally nothing in terms of narrative. At all. The jarring nature of the contrast between story and game play is nowhere so apparent than in the "brawler" genre.

And if that's not bad enough, the sheer repetition inherent in these games leaves me bored to tears. Literally, bored. How many times can I fight the same enemies, using the same moves, before I just give up and youtube some cut scenes? Which, about mission 13, is exactly what I did do in this case. Sure, you can award me arbitrary points for swapping weapons during combat; but what if I don't care how "stylish" I look whilst fighting, and just want to win? All you need is the Eryx drop/ground pound for AoE, and as others said, as far as AoE, you're good.

The game claims you need to mix things up, but that's only true if you care about points. And even then, those "style" points utterly fail to consider areas with enemies which can only be hit by one weapon type. So much for "style" there, I guess.

YMMV, but in my experience, its a reasonably well written game that would have made a decent to good movie or more probably book, attached to a generic and mostly repetitive brawler with zero innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Just the fact that all of this "pretty standard fare for this genre" is the problem. Why/how do more not see this issue? This genre, like so many others, needs to evolve. It needs to change. Development of games in this genre is done according to one single template. One. Every game in the genre follows the template, and for some reason, this bothers no one.
    You are Chris Crawford, and I claim my five pounds.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

(EDITed for an appropriate link in case you didn't know who he is.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    You are Chris Crawford, and I claim my five pounds.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

(EDITed for an appropriate link in case you didn't know who he is.)
    Ha! I honestly had no idea who Crawford was before this. He and I agree on many aspects of games. Not so much the 'social reasoning' stuff; I think you can have great games with zero social - or spatial - reasoning. Depending on the goal of the game.

However...his comments about how they 'insert pieces of story broken up by gameplay' (to paraphrase) I absolutely agree with. Its disconcerting. Its...rubbish story telling, to be honest. Breaking up your cut scenes with meaningless violence might add to the game (albeit, by padding more than quality) but it needlessly breaks up your narrative. You lengthen the interactive experience at the expense of the narrative one. Your goals are directly opposed to one another - game versus story, as opposed to game and story - and it shows.

I don't know what the answer is. But its break time from games for a bit. This Steam sale season has me exhausted and "gamed out" at this point. I'll come back and finish up AC IV pretty soon, and then its Back Log time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Because people (fans of the genre) like what they like, and they like what they like. Not ever game needs to innovate or reinvent the wheel. And we don't get many games like DMC at all anymore and even fewer on PC. And "only if you care about points", one of the biggest reasons these games sell is because people care about the points.

If you're just limiting yourself to using one or two moves, no wonder you found it boring to play.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Mass Effect 2. I'm about an hour into it and so far they've made all the awkward bits from ME1 worse; the hacking mini-games are awful (I don't even know how to solve the data hacking ones yet) and only gives you credits?, the press-key-to-use-cover mechanic feels a lot less natural than the first game's admittedly fairly wonky auto-cover system, there's no inventory?, skills/stats are much simpler and mainly, and magically, gives you different ammo types?
    hrmm.

Other things are a bit weird too; Shepard sprinting around trying to get to Joker so she can save him, but suddenly she starts walking very very slowly towards him while everything falls apart. Meeting Tali, after having been disappeared for two years, and they both behave as if nothing's really happened (not how I would have expected Tali to react at all).
    The various cutscenes of ships exploding and such seem poorly done compared to the first game too, so far.

Very long loading times.

ME2 couldn't import my ME1 Shepard, but it somehow seems to know which decisions I made anyway (assuming those actually were real decisions). I'm not sure whether to be impressed or slightly creeped out by that.
    Last edited by Similar; 30-12-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Activated Node
    Sid Meier's Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies - my sole purchase in the Steam Winter Sale. That and Kingdom Rush Frontiers on my tablet to pass time on a 6 hour train journey. Love a good tower defence. Android versions of SMAP and Defender's Quest would be ideal travelling companions.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I had the same problem until I made it a habit to walk into unexplored rooms with my gun drawn and ready. By moving the reticule ahead of you, you can see farther than you would otherwise, so it's easier to spot enemies ahead. If you see a group of guards in the distance, unload your pistol on them as fast as you can. If you can hear them coming, grab a shotgun and hide around the corner, and them blast it in their face.
    Thanks to your advice I got fairly far into level three. Then I tried to clear a room with a nail bomb.

As usual it killed everything in the room, including me. I'm not even going to pick those things up in the future.

Activated Node
    I'm mostly playing stuff for trading card purposes on Steam, largely as a mechanism to filter my vast unplayed library. Although I've not actually bought anything this sale round.

Strike Suit Zero and GRID 2, both of which are sadly somewhat disappointing. SS0 is actually reasonably good fun, but so far doesn't match Freespace 2 for gameplay (or, arguably, shinies). That said, I'm pretty early in - so I hope something will 'click' soon.

GRID 2 feels like a huge regression from the prequel in everything but graphics quality, especially with the stupid 'fans' mechanic. The handling also feels much worse on my wheel, although said wheel has endured months of brutal punishment from my daughter finding it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Mass Effect 2
    By the data-hacking, do you mean the mini-game with the boxes filled with lines of colored code? The idea is to move down the grid, avoiding the red boxes, and selecting the box that matches whatever is displayed at the top of the screen.

Importing is, oddly, one of the more unstable features of the Mass Effect series. The decisions are usually easy enough to read from a save game, but both ME2 and ME3 have given a a lot of people trouble where the appearance of their Shepard is concerned.

As for the loading times, they aren't actually long at all on any half decent PC. However, the game covers these loading periods up by playing a number of animations that show Shepard travelling, and it insists on finishing them before moving on. You can easily find a number of 2 second long video files on the BioWare forums to replace the loading animations. That should get you right back into the game as soon as the actual loading is done.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    By the data-hacking, do you mean the mini-game with the boxes filled with lines of colored code? The idea is to move down the grid, avoiding the red boxes, and selecting the box that matches whatever is displayed at the top of the screen.
    ah. I had an idea you had to match two of the boxes that scroll, but my head couldn't make sense of it (and of course, I got an error every time I tried).

Importing is, oddly, one of the more unstable features of the Mass Effect series. The decisions are usually easy enough to read from a save game, but both ME2 and ME3 have given a a lot of people trouble where the appearance of their Shepard is concerned.
    It said my save game wasn't where it expected to find it (probably because I have the Steam version of ME1 too) and that I could use some utility to move it. I didn't bother, but it seems like it still knows what I did in the first game.

I hadn't really customized my Shepard much in ME1, so it was easy enough to recreate her.

As for the loading times, they aren't actually long at all on any half decent PC.
    This was a reload after I died. It seemed to take a very long time, longer than when the level was initially loaded (which didn't take that long).
    This is an i5 with 8GB RAM, so I wouldn't think that's the problem.

However, the game covers these loading periods up by playing a number of animations that show Shepard travelling, and it insists on finishing them before moving on. You can easily find a number of 2 second long video files on the BioWare forums to replace the loading animations. That should get you right back into the game as soon as the actual loading is done.
    Thanks. That might become necessary. There's probably a reason that's one of the most popular mods (not that there are many).

Beat Contrast and cleared 100% of the achievements. Yeah. Again, I completely understand the RPS Wot I Think, but... I really enjoyed it, despite some very obvious flaws. It's just a very sweet, genuinely moving little story that got me right in the feels numerous times, and some dumb puzzles, poor level design and janky tech are more than made up for by the general idea behind it, the production design, the audio and some terrific voice acting (seriously, the kid who plays Didi in particular deserves a hell of a lot more work, IMO, unless she's a Name already). If only some major publisher had stepped in to whip the devs into shape (like Konami with MercurySteam on Lords of Shadow, say) this could have been an absolute classic. As it is, it's still one of my highlights of 2013, for all that it's not so hot mechanically speaking.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    I recently finished Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. I also played some Knock-Knock and finally got the third ending.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

Third ending? What? Is that including the ending where you fail and go insane?

Endless Space: Disharmony

I picked this up in the sale not expecting that much (I'm not the biggest fan of turn-based strategy) and damn, I was wrong.
    The only turn-based game I've enjoyed recently was Civ 5, and this hit all the same strings. One of the better (or best) space strategy games in recent times.
    My Steam Profile
    Obligatory quote:
    "By ignorance the truth is known" -Henry Suso

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Kings Bounty Warriors of the North: You may think it's more of the same old, and you'd be right. The undead are complete and total bastards now, it seems like units have more special abilities.

It suffers more from random drops than previous games. Like always you get more useless spells than good ones, but the addition of a new school means there's that many more useless spells to drop. I was halfway through the game before I found trap, and I'm in Demonis (hell) with my mage, and the most damaging spell I've found is fireball. I'm not sure if the game waits later in general to give you useful spells (it feels that way), but it gets tiring to max out mage skills about halfway through the game, and then wait and wait and wait for a decent spell.

No hypnosis, no fire rain, no ice snakes, no geyser. Oh, and Kamikaze doesn't work anymore. It's completely bugged so that the game crashes when the bomb is supposed to drop, or the bomb just doesn't drop. Glad I wasted extremely limited resources on that.

Playing Assassin's creed Black flag for the past week and for some reason I prefer the story missions over the open world pirating. It's great fun but gets quite repetitive and OCD inducing, but the story missions, so far, tend to be more interesting and varied with nice cinematics and narrative.
    The "real world" part of the game is rather pointless (unless something interesting is going to happen).

Also reached level 2 in Teleglitch and I have a feeling I'm going to play this for a while.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Third ending? What? Is that including the ending where you fail and go insane?
    Yes, you have 3 endings (as far as I know).
    !SPOILERS!
    1. ending- your sanity depletes (the white lightning on top of the screen), you go insane and get a game over message. Although I've heard some people managed to complete the game even if their sanity was depleted.

2. ending- you make it to the end. The Lodger barricades himself in the house and accepts his fate of insanity.

3. ending- you make it to the end but decide to break the circle and venture outside the house in broad daylight. The Nymph seals the house shut with vegetation and the Lodger leaves with her. There is a second variant of the third ending where the vegetation is covered in leaves and flowers but I'm not sure how to get that one.

I'm not 100% sure but you get the third ending by restoring the house (run into guest to get extra time, but only at the first half of the game where you don't have to hurry because of your sanity); finding diary entries (you can also get them by touching those crying ghost children, these diary entries are special); finding so called dream segments in the forest (some call them fragments of reality, glimpses of truth or something else) by finding this Nymph which looks like a strange little girl. You get in the same line and approach her, if she disappears before you get a dream segment (which is a weird dreamlike cutscene) that just means that she wasn't the real one and you have to continue searching for her in the same level. You have to find her at each level in which you venture into the forest (including the first one), but it's not important anymore when you reach the second part of the game where your sanity is slowly depleting. If you have done everything right she will appear in the background in the second half of the game instead of that scarecrow-like monster. Take note that it might happen that the regular monster appears first but she then appears in all further stages. You can get these dream fragments also by venturing into corridors (when you enter those giant eyes, these so called breaches). The longer you are in them the Lodger's pupils get smaller until they completely disappear. According to some people this changes what happens when you enter closed or opened doors in these corridors. People in general say that you can find some interesting stuff in them but didn't really specify what. Also, they say that ghost enter your house through these breaches and that you have to seal them ASAP (turn on the lights). When lightning strikes in a certain room it means there is a breach.

As for the lost diary, you can find it by touching the closed door at any of the levels in which you must venture out in the forest (except the one in which you find out that your diary is missing). You get 11 pages but the 6. one is always missing.

As I said before, explore as much as possible in the first part of the game because all this things add time to the final clock face in the last level. When you spin that last clock you must end up with a full clock face in order to get the third ending. In the second part of the game blitz through the game as fast as possible. Use the cheap ladder exploit if you have to. You know, you go up and down the ladder until dawn comes. None of the ghost can harm you if you're on a ladder.

Oh, God this is the longest post I've ever written. I hope I haven't missed anything out.

You can also check out the official forums for more details and theories:
    http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic....81f635b8e2e773

Last edited by NecroKnight; 30-12-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?