Page 949 of 1137 FirstFirst ... 4498498999399479489499509519599991049 ... LastLast
Results 18,961 to 18,980 of 22725
    Playing Assassin's creed Black flag for the past week and for some reason I prefer the story missions over the open world pirating. It's great fun but gets quite repetitive and OCD inducing, but the story missions, so far, tend to be more interesting and varied with nice cinematics and narrative.
    The "real world" part of the game is rather pointless (unless something interesting is going to happen).

Also reached level 2 in Teleglitch and I have a feeling I'm going to play this for a while.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Third ending? What? Is that including the ending where you fail and go insane?
    Yes, you have 3 endings (as far as I know).
    !SPOILERS!
    1. ending- your sanity depletes (the white lightning on top of the screen), you go insane and get a game over message. Although I've heard some people managed to complete the game even if their sanity was depleted.

2. ending- you make it to the end. The Lodger barricades himself in the house and accepts his fate of insanity.

3. ending- you make it to the end but decide to break the circle and venture outside the house in broad daylight. The Nymph seals the house shut with vegetation and the Lodger leaves with her. There is a second variant of the third ending where the vegetation is covered in leaves and flowers but I'm not sure how to get that one.

I'm not 100% sure but you get the third ending by restoring the house (run into guest to get extra time, but only at the first half of the game where you don't have to hurry because of your sanity); finding diary entries (you can also get them by touching those crying ghost children, these diary entries are special); finding so called dream segments in the forest (some call them fragments of reality, glimpses of truth or something else) by finding this Nymph which looks like a strange little girl. You get in the same line and approach her, if she disappears before you get a dream segment (which is a weird dreamlike cutscene) that just means that she wasn't the real one and you have to continue searching for her in the same level. You have to find her at each level in which you venture into the forest (including the first one), but it's not important anymore when you reach the second part of the game where your sanity is slowly depleting. If you have done everything right she will appear in the background in the second half of the game instead of that scarecrow-like monster. Take note that it might happen that the regular monster appears first but she then appears in all further stages. You can get these dream fragments also by venturing into corridors (when you enter those giant eyes, these so called breaches). The longer you are in them the Lodger's pupils get smaller until they completely disappear. According to some people this changes what happens when you enter closed or opened doors in these corridors. People in general say that you can find some interesting stuff in them but didn't really specify what. Also, they say that ghost enter your house through these breaches and that you have to seal them ASAP (turn on the lights). When lightning strikes in a certain room it means there is a breach.

As for the lost diary, you can find it by touching the closed door at any of the levels in which you must venture out in the forest (except the one in which you find out that your diary is missing). You get 11 pages but the 6. one is always missing.

As I said before, explore as much as possible in the first part of the game because all this things add time to the final clock face in the last level. When you spin that last clock you must end up with a full clock face in order to get the third ending. In the second part of the game blitz through the game as fast as possible. Use the cheap ladder exploit if you have to. You know, you go up and down the ladder until dawn comes. None of the ghost can harm you if you're on a ladder.

Oh, God this is the longest post I've ever written. I hope I haven't missed anything out.

You can also check out the official forums for more details and theories:
    http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic....81f635b8e2e773

Last edited by NecroKnight; 30-12-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

"Yes" would have been enough. :P I didn't consider the fail state to be an ending, but technically it is since you have to start all over again. Regarding the third ending, you're close, but as far as I'm aware, the only thing that matters is whether you find the girl in the forest in the first six dreams and trigger a fragment. The diary pages can all be collected in one go by repeatedly walking into the door once they start appearing.

If you're interested, I wrote the guide on Knock-Knock, but it's quite spoilery.

As I said before, explore as much as possible in the first part of the game because all this things add time to the final clock face in the last level. When you spin that last clock you must end up with a full clock face in order to get the third ending.
    This doesn't make any sense to me.
    Last edited by LTK; 30-12-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    "Yes" would have been enough. :P I didn't consider the fail state to be an ending, but technically it is since you have to start all over again. Regarding the third ending, you're close, but as far as I'm aware, the only thing that matters is whether you find the girl in the forest in the first six dreams and trigger a fragment. The diary pages can all be collected in one go by repeatedly walking into the door once they start appearing.

If you're interested, I wrote the guide on Knock-Knock, but it's quite spoilery.
    Nice guide, but I think I mentioned 1-2 things that weren't there. No worry about the spoilers, I've already finished the game.

This doesn't make any sense to me.
    In the last level the clock isn't "full". Sometimes when you spin it, it still isn't full. Doing all these things fills the clock at the last level ensuring that when you activate it that it will result in a full circle. I've heard that doing so results in getting the third ending.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    It said my save game wasn't where it expected to find it (probably because I have the Steam version of ME1 too) and that I could use some utility to move it. I didn't bother, but it seems like it still knows what I did in the first game.
    That's odd. If you're referring to the questions asked by Miranda on the shuttle, it might just have been a coincidence. She asks those questions every time, and your choices for those events might just have been the 'canon' choices for a default ME2 character.

Thanks. That might become necessary. There's probably a reason that's one of the most popular mods (not that there are many).
    Indeed; it's a very odd design decision, especially because those animations take a long time. There's also various texture mods, I guess, but nothing that really affects the gameplay all that much.

Anyway - I finally finished Orcs Must Die! after starting it two years ago (!). I was completely overwhelmed when I first started it up again, but now I'm getting quite comfortable with most of the maps. I'm not sure what to expect from OMD2 and its focus on co-op, so I'll stick to completing the DLC maps in OMD for now.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Orcs Must Die 2 is a solid and definitive step backwards. It's upgrade system is an annoying bit of grind, and many of the maps are virtually impossible to do well with one person. This is from someone that five skulled every level and DLC in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    That's odd. If you're referring to the questions asked by Miranda on the shuttle, it might just have been a coincidence. She asks those questions every time, and your choices for those events might just have been the 'canon' choices for a default ME2 character.
    yeah, that's probably it. I would have had to play longer to be certain, but I chose to start over with an imported character. There's a few things that seemed like it would be worth it (the chance to at least meet Wrex, for one. He and Tali were my favourites in ME1).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Orcs Must Die 2 is a solid and definitive step backwards.
    That's disappointing to hear - but not entirely unexpected. I can appreciate a bit of co-op every now and then, but it's always a bit sad if the developers can't, or refuse to, figure out a way to balance the game around single-player as well.

yeah, that's probably it. I would have had to play longer to be certain, but I chose to start over with an imported character. There's a few things that seemed like it would be worth it (the chance to at least meet Wrex, for one. He and Tali were my favourites in ME1).
    Right, especially in the latter case it's definitely worth it! Tali's story throughout the trilogy is one of those most influenced by your decisions in earlier games.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    Nice guide, but I think I mentioned 1-2 things that weren't there.
    If you mean things regarding the endgame, then maybe, but I tried to keep the guide as basic as possible. If you mean the 1-2 things that affect the ending, I think those don't matter. I played the game through a bunch of times and asked people on the steam forums to verify, and I found that the only thing that matters to the ending is whether you find the girl or not.

In the last level the clock isn't "full". Sometimes when you spin it, it still isn't full. Doing all these things fills the clock at the last level ensuring that when you activate it that it will result in a full circle. I've heard that doing so results in getting the third ending.
    By 'last level' do you mean when you are in your real house and you're winding the last clock in the last room to bring about the sunrise? And by 'full' do you mean that the face of the clock no longer has any grey segments on it? Because once you wind the clock for the last time in your real house, the game ends, and depending on whether the girl or the monster is in the background, you either get the Pagurian ending or the Breaking the circle ending.

It could be that the number of times you have to wind the clock in your real house before morning arrives depends on your actions in your dreams, but that's something I haven't tried out.

On another note, I'm eleven hours into Far Cry 2 now and I'm completely sick of being shot at by everyone, all the time, anywhere I go. I'm also sick of doing the same things over and over again with little to no sense of progression aside from being able to buy a new gun once in a while. Aside from being maniacally homicidal, the enemy AI is still impressively competent, though. And I guess being able to start fires is nice. But if that's all this game has to offer, I'm crossing it off the list, because playing it only makes me angry.

Network Hub
    Properly started playing Dishonoured (as in: actually started the first assassination mission), and I'm already finding my stealth OCD becoming a problem. I just spent far too long trying and failing to stealth past the guys on the bridge to get the hidden bone charm at the end, but I know I'm not going to be able to do anything else until I actually manage to get it right.

On that note, Blink seems to be a bit iffy when it comes to targeting to arrive on top of surfaces. There's a few places I've found where you can blink to the top of something from one position, but not from a similar (and better looking) location.

Other than my own cack-handedness and OCD interacting as normal, however, I'm enjoying the art design, voice acting, and general mechanics of the game a lot. I just need to be a lot better at it (it seems like it might be easier to go the violent route, but I really really don't want to do that).

Activated Node realitysconcierge's Avatar
    I am currently playing my two christmas presents Borderlands 2 GOTY and Beyond: Two Souls. BL2 on my pc of course and it's just as addictive as ever. I think I'm the kind of person that gets a certain satisfaction from incremental upgrades and BL2 certainly delivers. BTS has quite a story, but I feel like either I have way less agency in it than I did in Heavy Rain, or else quantic dream is getting really good at hiding the choices that I'm making. Either way I wish I had more to do in the game, but I'm determined to see it through to the end. I'm also still enjoying playing Hearthstone, though I really am very rubbish at it. I just like making decks with themes and collecting cards.

Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    Properly started playing Dishonoured (as in: actually started the first assassination mission), and I'm already finding my stealth OCD becoming a problem. I just spent far too long trying and failing to stealth past the guys on the bridge to get the hidden bone charm at the end, but I know I'm not going to be able to do anything else until I actually manage to get it right.
    I really don't consider this a spoiler, but here's the thing about the bridge: You don't want to go over the bridge, but below it. Blink to the foot of the bridge. There's a rope there. Unless I'm completely misreading which bridge you're talking about.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Avish View Post
    Playing Assassin's creed Black flag for the past week and for some reason I prefer the story missions over the open world pirating. It's great fun but gets quite repetitive and OCD inducing, but the story missions, so far, tend to be more interesting and varied with nice cinematics and narrative.
    The "real world" part of the game is rather pointless (unless something interesting is going to happen).

*snip*
    That's funny. And it goes to show just how different the tastes of two gamers can get. All the aspects of the game you love, I actually believe to be the weakest and least engaging. Likewise, the open world piracy, which I will admit could be better and more varied - and more meaningful - is nonetheless the reason I keep coming back.

But to each their own. Just glad you're enjoying it.

Me, I am thinking its time for something a little less scripted and a bit more...personalized. Some modded Skyrim, ignoring the main quest, perhaps. Or maybe the Breakdown DLC for State of Decay. Some make-your-own-story moments are just what I need from a game right now.

Shadow Warrior was somewhat fun. The melee was brilliant when you pulled off a few special powers followed with the AoE spinny attack or the blade beam thing. First game in years where I used the starting base weapon all the way through because of how bloody great it felt.
    Not sure with how I feel regarding the level progression though. The ending was a bit more somber then I expected compared to the utterly stupid original, but how it panned out was a bit slow. Level design felt as hit an miss in places as Hard Reset did, plus the game seemed to be over-long IMO.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    That's funny. And it goes to show just how different the tastes of two gamers can get. All the aspects of the game you love, I actually believe to be the weakest and least engaging. Likewise, the open world piracy, which I will admit could be better and more varied - and more meaningful - is nonetheless the reason I keep coming back.

But to each their own. Just glad you're enjoying it.
    For me, I'm finding a bit of balance between the two is perfect. I like being able to sail about and just do some pirating, and that's lovely - but it would need to commit to that side of the game a lot more for me to be able to enjoy it as more than a bit of fun variety. The main story missions provide that change of pace that allows me not to get sick of blowing up whatever takes my fancy, so it all comes together swimmingly.

I would absolutely adore it if they did make a game that properly fleshed out the sailing around and being a total knave though. I don't mean full on realistic sailing and whatnot, but a bit more depth across the board. Different ships, more tactics to boarding and plundering, etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Orcs Must Die 2 is a solid and definitive step backwards. It's upgrade system is an annoying bit of grind, and many of the maps are virtually impossible to do well with one person. This is from someone that five skulled every level and DLC in the first.
    I disagree somewhat, yes the unlocks are annoying, but if you are competent at the game by the time you are near the end of the campaign you have enough for "mostly" everything every level, just don't be afraid to reset your skulls before you spend.

Once you have a good pool of skulls then you can reliably 5 skull the earlier levels. OMD2 is a huge leap in a few ways, not least the range of available equipment but also in the available styles of play, you are build up some exceptional comboes without any of the DLC (but the DLC does add a few tools that allow for greater combos), this doesn't always lead to the most comprehensible screenshots.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just got around to trying Hearthstone - got a key last week but not had any time - and I'm surprised.

I thought it was a card game - not a WoW Karaoke and terrible Scottish Accent jukebox...

Hmmmm - it's gonna be hard going I think...

Obscure Node
    After buying quite a few games and enjoying almost all of them, I found myself reinstalling (for like the 3rd time over the course of their existence) 2 games, combined they are 19 years old. Ghost Recon: AW and RTL Ski Jumping 2005. I keep telling myself BF4 was not a waste of ~$100 and that I would play it f it weren't for the crashes but honestly I am not sure. And I even skipped BF3 completely so there is no BF fatigue.

I've pretty much cleared the backlog of games I bought/was gifted, I only have ALB and Nexuiz left. For example, I have yet to buy Rayman and Saints Row 4.

AC4: Black Flag stood out for me out of the AAA holdays wave. Even though I haven't spent more than an hour online, I found the game worth it even though I won't touch it again. Most indies don't sit well with me but I get surprised once in a while and indies being really cheap, I'll look to find hidden gems more than in the past. Don't get me started on EA, they get one more chance with ME2. UBI pretty much redeemed itself for me. SC Blacklist, FC3 and AC4, they were all great, Watch Dogs is promising and maybe even the Division too.

Over the holidays I've been playing the new open beta of DCS World aka Digital Combat Simulator Su-25T. There's something very satisfying about loading up that Toad with 8 500kg cluster bombs, taking off, weaving through the valleys of Georgia, plastering a helpless insurgent camp, and making it back alive.

That and Spelunky. I guess I'm a fan of games that take a TON of practice to fully enjoy. They're more rewarding.