Page 951 of 1164 FirstFirst ... 45185190194194995095195295396110011051 ... LastLast
Results 19,001 to 19,020 of 23279
  1. #19001
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK, Derby
    Posts
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    I can think of one...
    Okay, I admit that gave me a chuckle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Is there a reason you seem to hate every game or go into every game wanting to hate it? Did a game go all Batman on your parents or something? In the months since you've been posting here I can't remember you liking a single thing so just wondering if you should get a new hobby. Like jigsaws. Or taxidermy. Something where it's hard to be disappointed unless the squirrel's arse falls out before stuffing time.
    I like plenty of games. What, do I have to list some of them? I'm just not interested in a mutual OMG THIS GAME I'M PLAYING IS AMAZING / OMG THIS GAME I'M PLAYING IS AMAZING TOO!!!11!! the way so many internet commenters (or, well, people in general) seem to be.

    I've got more than a hundred PC games installed right now and I like something about all of them. I can also pick quite a few of them to pieces and see nothing wrong with doing that. Christ, I could happily write essays tearing my favorite games of all time to pieces - I consider Shadow of the Colossus a masterpiece that brings tears to my eyes, but I don't think showing willingness to poke holes in it using pretty harsh language makes me a grouch, and it depresses me to dwell on how many people seem to disagree with this.

    I went into PoE because it was free, I was curious why so many people were raving about it and wondered if I'd be able to enjoy it anything like as much. I also think you can make a really good argument that phat lewtin' dungeoncrawlers or Diablo-alikes or Roguelikes or whatever you want to call them are increasingly propped up with nothing more substantial than more items and monsters with bigger life bars, in much the same way Angry Birds fans want nothing more challenging than new level packs until the end of time. I don't find those two points of view mutually exclusive.

    I was surprised that even though a few hours of PoE didn't have me falling on my knees shouting "Oh, Jesus, I was wrong to be so dismissive", it did hook me in a way that Torchlight II, say, did not. I couldn't really put my finger on why, and that intrigued me. I'm sorry I couldn't articulate that as something along the lines of OH WOW THIS PATH OF EXILE GAME IS SO AMAZING I'M ENJOYING IT SO MUCH I HOPE SOMEONE ELSE LIKES IT AS MUCH AS I DO RIGHT NOW.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 01-01-2014 at 11:55 AM.

  2. #19002
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,222


    /wristsand10char
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  3. #19003
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK, Derby
    Posts
    1,255
    Aaand that's Jamestown uninstalled. One look at the final stage and, yeah, I'm never finishing that solo. Note to the developers, or indeed any developers: never, never, never force the player to select a particular difficulty setting for any reason. Please don't assume you can get everyone good enough to record their own superplay videos because your difficulty curve is just that awesome. I can guarantee you you can't, and it's not.

    A shame, because I was really enjoying the game, for all its little flaws (gasp! Me, enjoying something! Quick, the smelling salts!), but there's only so much bullshit I'm prepared to put up with.

  4. #19004
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I like plenty of games. What, do I have to list some of them? I'm just not interested in a mutual OMG THIS GAME I'M PLAYING IS AMAZING / OMG THIS GAME I'M PLAYING IS AMAZING TOO!!!11!! the way so many internet commenters (or, well, people in general) seem to be.
    That mentality I also dislike so will agree with you there. It's why my brain can only ever take about 5mins of any reddit/r/gaming thread at a time. It's great to hear the good things a game does, but it's also great to hear the problems. But the converse is also true, so the position at the other extreme of 'everything is bad and disappointing' is just as tiring.

    You aren't alone in it by any means, so my comments are aimed less at you than at all those who take a negative view of everything. The OMG THIS GAME I'M PLAYING IS RUBBISH crowd is just as big as the crowd which love it unconditionally, and there's one for every type of media. I remember the metal scene (indie scene is like this too) being full of people who either shat all over everything released on a major label or any album after the sophomore effort. And it was just as toxic there as well. Criticism needs to be constructive; pointing out the good with the bad or at least saying why something is bad. You say you're enjoying (well, "kinda enjoying" because let's not actually commit to enjoy something) PoE yet give it mostly backhanded compliments, finishing by saying that you still may end up disliking it as if you're disappointed that isn't the case. And the fact you went into it expecting not to enjoy it absolutely boggles my mind. It's just such a weird position to take. I don't go to a restaurant expecting to dislike the food. I don't watch a film expecting to dislike it - I watch it so I can find out whether I like it or not.

    I don't expect you to list all the games you like. But I can't think of a single post of yours saying that 'X is a good game and is recommend, even though it has problems Y and Z'. Which is a shame, as a lot of your analysis is damn good and you always provide more depth than just saying the game is shit because it's shit. You say the PoE does a few things well and I'd be interested to hear more about that, and why it's so different to Torchlight 2 (neither of which I've played btw, though I am familiar with the genre in general). I don't know if you just don't write about the games you genuinely enjoy or if you really have hated every game you've played for the last 6 months. I'm just saying it would be nice to hear about it when you do find something you like. Especially if it's something relatively unknown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I consider Shadow of the Colossus a masterpiece that brings tears to my eyes
    Then again I think we're fated to always disagree about what games are masterpieces.

  5. #19005
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Aaand that's Jamestown uninstalled. One look at the final stage and, yeah, I'm never finishing that solo. Note to the developers, or indeed any developers: never, never, never force the player to select a particular difficulty setting for any reason. Please don't assume you can get everyone good enough to record their own superplay videos because your difficulty curve is just that awesome. I can guarantee you you can't, and it's not.

    A shame, because I was really enjoying the game, for all its little flaws (gasp! Me, enjoying something! Quick, the smelling salts!), but there's only so much bullshit I'm prepared to put up with.
    It's not that hard of a game. I'm by no means good at SHUMPS, but I managed on the the first try to beat that level after unlocking it. If you made it as far as the last level you can finish the game. The last boss is one of the easiest in the game, his pattern is very simple to avoid.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  6. #19006
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,845
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Isn't that just the incongruousness messing with your head? Hearthstone is the only thing Warcraft-related that I have ever touched, and I really have no idea what about it is so terrible.

    Well, except the Murlocs. They clearly made those sound as disgusting as they possibly could.
    The 'tutorial' is just laced with every buzzword phrase in WoW - from "Jobs Done" through to Murlocs.

    The AWFUL Scottish accents and nasty Gnomes ones were in WoW too - but you didn't have to listen to them constantly (unless you chose to play one of those races of course). I've not played WoW since the Pandapocalypse but I guess them being Kung-Fu-Panda-meets-Karate Kid isn't surprising (or pleasant)

    Overall I think WoW managed to offer a fairly high-quality and balanced tone for most of it's content - but taking all of that and cramming the 'greatest hits' into a single place is like taking all your favourite records and playing them all at the same time.

    I'm not sure what I expected but what I'm actually getting is grating and unpleasant and I'm unlikely to endure it much longer.

  7. #19007
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,151
    I guess Blizzard's 'hit them in the nostalgia' strategy backfires for some people. The best advice I can give you is to turn off the sound. It's still just a card game, after all.

  8. #19008
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,222
    Just turn the voices or the sound off and listen to your own music. The voices add nothing to the game in terms of strategy and any time your opponent says anything a speech bubble comes up.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  9. #19009
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK, Derby
    Posts
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I don't expect you to list all the games you like. But I can't think of a single post of yours saying that 'X is a good game and is recommend, even though it has problems Y and Z'. Which is a shame, as a lot of your analysis is damn good and you always provide more depth than just saying the game is shit because it's shit.
    Heh, nice of you to say, I guess. It's odd, I... for what little it's worth, I suppose there hasn't been anything new in 2013 that I absolutely loved to bits without any significant reservations or nagging "Yeah, but...". The Last of Us came close but I had no interest in the multiplayer, I thought the gameplay mechanics could have done with a little tweaking, a little more complexity, and I felt a couple of the story segments were markedly less well-written than the rest of the game. Badland came close but I thought the difficulty of some of the optional objectives was pitched just that bit too high (nearly impossible, to be honest) and it was hard to ignore that much of the game involved basically scrolling from left to right and throwing myself at puzzles that usually had just the one correct solution. Maybe Fez, if you stretch "new", but even then, as much as I loved that game it's still hard not to criticize it when I feel like half the game's locked away from me, in some sense, because I'm not smart enough (and great as I thought the game was, I didn't feel that it had compelled me to get any smarter).

    Dragon's Dogma and Driver SF were my favorite games from the two years before that, and there wasn't any new release in 2013 on any format that quite matched up to the absolute joy I got from playing through those. They still had very obvious flaws, but I had that much fun with them regardless that I didn't really care.

  10. #19010
    My ETS2 travels have taken a slightly sinister turn, as I've accepted a job to haul a tank from the Czech-Polish border to Copenhagen. Hope I'm not inadvertently aiding terrorists. Although that would raise my opinion of the game to new heights.

  11. #19011
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    319
    I've been playing Path of Exile most of this hungover day.

    Your original post, Eight Rooks, was the first I heard of it -- thanks.

    It's surprisingly compelling and a relaxing antidote to all the TBS games I've been playing lately. I skipped latest Diablo so the genre feels quite fresh to me despite the fact that much of the mainscreen UI is a direct Diablo clone. There's nothing at all wrong with that as far as I'm concerned. Started a Duelist with the intention of making him a heavy magic user; no idea if that is possible due to the convoluted Skill Tree but what the heck.

    No surprise that, so far, the setting has been sandy white beaches and clear water seeing as the game was developed Down Under apparently. I'd say it's worth downloading the client just to get a perplexed look at the Skill Tree: that thing really has to be seen to be believed. Very decent voice acting for a game too, it puts the likes of Skyrim to shame on that score. I really like how they implemented a shopkeeper system that uses no "gold" currency: all desired items must be bartered in exchange for other actual items/scrolls ect.

    Cool beans.

  12. #19012
    Lesser Hivemind Node Gorzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    782
    Thanks to Kadayi I've been playing a bit of Dark Souls. I had to quit just now because I lost a 4000 souls recovery due to my own stupidity, I dodged into a fall on my way to the recovery...

  13. #19013
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Just turn the voices or the sound off and listen to your own music. The voices add nothing to the game in terms of strategy and any time your opponent says anything a speech bubble comes up.
    Problem is - the speech 'holds up' the game so you're sitting there wondering WTF is going on a lot of the time - at least early on...

    I've also worked-out my particular problem with the Scottish accent - it's not just shit, it's Shrek!

    My first 'real' game wasn't much fun either - the 'matched' opponent I got kicked 7 bells out of my with a range of cards WAY WAY beyond what I had - if that's their idea of 'matched' I'm a pixie...

    OK - it's alluring me with unlocks here, there and everywhere but that first game suggests I NEED them just to compete at all - hmmm - on the whole I think it can fuck off.
    Last edited by trjp; 01-01-2014 at 06:38 PM.

  14. #19014
    Lesser Hivemind Node L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    840
    Playing Mirror's Edge, thanks to Mnemnoch. I'm not entirely sure, but this game might be giving me a form of motion sickness, something I've never experienced with games before. There's something about the way the camera moves that makes me want to take regular breaks, even though I'm loving the game.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

  15. #19015
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,641
    Played some more DayZ. Nothing really cool happened. Though trading items with an armed guy in a clown mask was interesting in a way. Met plenty of friendlies( aka "carebears") but to be honest it's common sense to be friendly when you don't have a proper weapon. People with assault rifles always shoot first. Guess they just really don't want to lose their stuff. Good news, players are actually using voicechat now, I don't think I ever heard anyone speak to me directly in the mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

  16. #19016
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,151
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Problem is - the speech 'holds up' the game so you're sitting there wondering WTF is going on a lot of the time - at least early on...
    I hope you don't mean the announcement of '<your hero> versus <opponent hero>' that lasts all of three seconds at the start of the game, because that would be the nitpick to end all nitpicks. The sound effects of the cards themselves don't have any effect on whether you have to wait for it. All the cards do have a visual effect (spells in particular) that you have to wait for, but you can queue up other actions in the mean time and it doesn't detract from the time you are given to perform actions in your turn.

    My first 'real' game wasn't much fun either - the 'matched' opponent I got kicked 7 bells out of my with a range of cards WAY WAY beyond what I had - if that's their idea of 'matched' I'm a pixie...

    OK - it's alluring me with unlocks here, there and everywhere but that first game suggests I NEED them just to compete at all - hmmm - on the whole I think it can fuck off.
    Yeah, the unlocks are the very least you will need to make a deck that's halfway competitive with players of the lowest rank. I have no idea how the matchmaking works but given that the vast majority of players have at least one constructed deck at level 10 it's no wonder you're being outmatched.

    But what do you expect, it's a free to play card game. They're not just going to hand the good cards out. If you think the unlocks are bad, wait until you go up against expert cards - the ones from the packs you have to pay for. It takes a lot of work to build up a collection and get better at the game, and I can see why that would turn you off. But that's just the nature of the game, so if it vexes you so much you're better off finding something else to play.

  17. #19017
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    3,548
    I've been playing a lot of Sleeping Dogs and while I have some issues with the city design, it's probably my favorite open world game so far. It doesn't take itself TOO seriously, but at the same time it pulls off believability (albeit in Hollywood-gangster land) a lot better than most open world games. I don't think it would work if I were trying to play it like Saints Row, but it works if you take it at face value and roll with it. I don't like all the characters but the acting is (mostly) pretty good and the characters tend to have very well implemented identities. The protagonist in particular has his own flavor and he asserts himself in whatever the player does.

    There are plenty of things that aren't very well refined or feel awkward or don't quite work, but I really like it. I just hope they pull this story off and make all the lose ends tie up nicely. So far, it uses plenty of cliche but in a good way. I have high hopes. :) I like that there's not too much side-stuff to do until you've gotten a way into the story. You can explore the whole world, sure, and collect things. But the game doesn't just plaster the world with pointless crap for you to do and while there are side diversions, the storyline is mechanically at the center. That's a good thing with this kind of a story. I really wish games like Skyrim adapted their stories better to suit their pacing. Fallout 3 did a half-decent job with this, I felt: I could reasonably take a break from hunting for daddy as long as the game never acted like I was supposed to be in a hurry. To it's credit it only gets into a hurry near the end of the main quest and at that point I was ok with taking it at it's word and hurrying because I wanted to finish the quest--otherwise I wouldn't have picked up the trail again.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

    You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

  18. #19018
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    117
    In between working through Dishonored (which would have possibly been my game of 2013 if I'd started playing it early enough for it to qualify), I've been dipping into Super Hexagon. Which I am "terrible" at (can barely last 20 seconds on Hexagon, at present), but still enjoying. It's just a pity that the flow gets destroyed every time you make a mistake (a continual mode would be nice...).

    Also, I would have been playing Fez a bit, but it just crashes on my computer as soon as it starts up.

  19. #19019
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    In between working through Dishonored (which would have possibly been my game of 2013 if I'd started playing it early enough for it to qualify), I've been dipping into Super Hexagon. Which I am "terrible" at (can barely last 20 seconds on Hexagon, at present), but still enjoying. It's just a pity that the flow gets destroyed every time you make a mistake (a continual mode would be nice...).
    I don't think a continual mode would really work. It would be hard to create decent feedback for when you'd "lost."

    I suppose you could split the difference and have the screen sort of black out to the edges and then fill back in so you get this sort color flash and have half-a-second or more to sort yourself out when you make a mistake? I don't know. I don't think there's a good way to do that. It's kind of like trying to have a racing game with collision physics that allows you to keep racing seamlessly when you crash. It's ... hard to pull off properly. Screwing up is SUPPOSED to mess with the flow. The game IS flow. If you're flowing it's because you DIDN'T screw up. You know?
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

    You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

  20. #19020
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,845
    re; Hearthstone and paying for cards

    In theory I have no problem paying for cards - but I'm want to know if I can simply choose a class and polish-the-fuck out of a deck which will take-on allcomers or whether I have to work on all the classes (which would be pricey and a bit boring tbh)

    Certainly - even in the practice rooms - it's obvious that some classes are simply better than others with the starter decks - Druids seem to stomp everything to death with ease, for example.

    I didn't mind a bit of class imbalance in WoW because there was a lot to do but here - class imbalance would be a bad idea as everyone would simply play that class?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •