Page 953 of 1207 FirstFirst ... 45385390394395195295395495596310031053 ... LastLast
Results 19,041 to 19,060 of 24123
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm enjoying Risk of Rain quite a bit, but I wish they hadn't locked off all the classes behind achievement gaps. I've gotten the Enforcer, but nothing else, and I don't get to play often enough or for long enough to get the others any time soon. Agree that the music is excellent.

Hearthstone has its hooks in. I'm having a good time with it. I'm not quite sure if I'll stick with it for too long: I suspect a lot of my enjoyment comes from having a nice 10 minute burst of competition when I can fit that in. I haven't had the time to play stuff against people for ages. Otherwise I'll likely hit a barrier and give up for a while. I love that there's no chat function. Great, great decision.

Quote Originally Posted by wrestledwithgod View Post
    The key is to eliminate that need for luck. It isn't all that obvious on the first couple of playthroughs but you do get the hang of it eventually, especially on easy. Still, a streak of exceptionally bad luck can render the game unwinnable and I can see why the game's obtuseness frustrated so many players.
    I haven't been able to defeat the boss a single time, despite playing the game for 12 hours and reaching the boss almost every time. Could you give some advice?
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The key is to eliminate that need for luck.
    The last post I made where I complained about the boss? I was stronger then than I was this time. My technique for fighting was exactly the same. No doubt I will do the same thing next time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    I'm enjoying Risk of Rain quite a bit, but I wish they hadn't locked off all the classes behind achievement gaps. I've gotten the Enforcer, but nothing else, and I don't get to play often enough or for long enough to get the others any time soon. Agree that the music is excellent.
    Playing for a bit now and yeah, the gating is a bit of a shame, but I imagine a lot of that will be doable in co-op. Least, I hope so.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Badland came close... Dragon's Dogma and Driver SF were my favorite games from the two years before that.
    Cheers for that. Badland looks pretty cool so is now on my phone waiting for a train journey. Looks like a Meatboy style game where everything will kick my ass.
    Dragon's Dogma has been a game I was looking at for quite a while so will have to look out for a 360 copy. It's about time I used that console for something again.

I was going to try and recommend something from 2013 to play but it seems that I don't actually own any games from last year. Impressive how much came out in 2012 though, most is unplayed for me even though I own a decent amount. Not the fault of the games though - plenty of those 2012 ones look good fun as do many 2013 ones. It's just amazing how gaming/spare time disappears when university stops and employment begins.

Oh! Someone gifted me Surgeon Simulator 2013 so I guess that has to be my game recommendation of 2013. Victory by default. 10/10. I laughed. I cried. I may even play it someday.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Beat The Walking Dead: Season One. Yup. It did get steadily better as it went along, but my general opinion on it is still the same - some truly excellent moments, but hampered a little too much by clunky tech, along with writing and storytelling that goes all over the place, for it to be truly great. There were far too many times I felt like characters were stating the obvious just to make sure I got it, or ignoring the obvious solely out of some ridiculous desire to try and blindside me when everything went wrong. Thankfully the Lee/Clementine conversations never went down that route, other than a couple of Mass Effect "like hell I meant to say that" moments, but Christ, just about every single other supporting character had at least one or two moments when they succumbed to the idiot effect (if the game just gave me the opportunity to say what would be obvious to a blind man, either the problem would have just gone away or I'd have been justified in shooting someone).

Oh, and a pre-emptive middle finger to Kadayi. In the nicest way possible. *^__^* The ending was far and away one of the best moments in the game, and got me tearing up even though I knew what was coming. It doesn't invalidate my complaints. Telltale just don't go deep enough into subtext and subtler emotional themes overall the way Naughty Dog do in The Last of Us. Sure, some of that's down to the vast difference in budgets, but still... Telltale could have done more, IMO. The Lee/Clementine relationship has some of this stuff, but not enough for me, and I felt that a lot - too much - of the dramatic weight was coming from the voice actors rather than the script (I had to repeat a couple of sections and turned the volume down to stop myself from getting annoyed, and I tell you, a great deal of the dialogue seemed way, way clunky to me taken solely as text).

I still liked the game a lot. I have no problem with Telltale basically cranking out digital gamebooks with a bigger budget and 3D walking around - I'm really impressed with how much better at it they've become over the years, and I'd much rather play their work than anything else from David Cage. And they are good storytellers, IMO. Just not great ones, not yet. I don't think TWD is even remotely as bad as its detractors claim, but it does have some fairly obvious flaws, for my money (although, to the guy commenting on an old front page RPS article - aha, ahaha, look, I love To The Moon too, but if you seriously think that game wasn't sappy and manipulative, you're kidding yourself).

But Telltale are good. TWD is definitely good. I'm happy I bought Season One and I'm looking forward to 400 Days and Season Two after that (picked it up on the last day of the sale). Just wanted to temper the boundless praise it gets from some quarters (and, well, the hate too) with something a little more level-headed.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 03-01-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Started playing Saints Row 4. Well, I prefer it to 3, that's for certain. I probably won't ever finish it, because the only game in the 'look there's a city drive around and shoot people' genre I've ever finished in my life was Mafia 2. But it's the only game I've played that lets me dress up as a pink haired french lady with a delightful waistcoat and cats eye sunglasses, super jump around the place, shoot people in the face with a pulse rifle (doesn't make the noise, alas) and then sprint off at top speed whilst blur's 'Song 2' plays over the top of it. And that feels pretty good, at the moment. And a surprising amount of the jokes make me laugh out loud, too.

Network Hub
    The key is to eliminate that need for luck. It isn't all that obvious on the first couple of playthroughs but you do get the hang of it eventually, especially on easy. Still, a streak of exceptionally bad luck can render the game unwinnable and I can see why the game's obtuseness frustrated so many players.
    Exactly. I haven't played in a while now, but while I was I could consistently beat the boss on easy. But keep in mind that by the time you reach the boss the game is more or less decided. It's very important not to run through sectors but to explore as much as possible, even risking fighting the fleet for a turn. Exploration, plus taking over the ships instead of destroying them will provide you with more resources than you can spend.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Started playing Saints Row 4. Well, I prefer it to 3, that's for certain. I probably won't ever finish it, because the only game in the 'look there's a city drive around and shoot people' genre I've ever finished in my life was Mafia 2. But it's the only game I've played that lets me dress up as a pink haired french lady with a delightful waistcoat and cats eye sunglasses, super jump around the place, shoot people in the face with a pulse rifle (doesn't make the noise, alas) and then sprint off at top speed whilst blur's 'Song 2' plays over the top of it. And that feels pretty good, at the moment. And a surprising amount of the jokes make me laugh out loud, too.
    Don't know how much you have played of it but Saints Row IV is not that game for very long, unless you want it to be

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    You would not believe how long I spent doing nothing but running around timing super jumps, glides and drops to Song 2 and Promises in particular. (Well, maybe you would.) Christ, I actually want to reinstall the game now just so I can do that again.

Playing a grand ironman campaign of Crusader Kings 2 as Amalfi starting in 867. It was a pretty rough start and I got no less than three game overs, each in the first 20 years. You start with the Duke of Salerno (and by extension the Byzantine Emperor) having a de jure claim on Amalfi so when played by the AI, Amalfi is almost always gone within the first ten years or so. Your initial doge is very old, has random stats and your heir is a hunchback.
    Your only real option is to swear fealty to the Emperor but lowering the crown authority is almost impossible so expanding becomes very difficult. While you technically are a duke, this doesn't do much for your children and getting land through marriages is not a viable option early on.
    Later I managed to break free from Byzantine tyranny a long time ago. I even managed to grab an entire duchy from them when a Nestorian heresy broke out there. After the Kingdom of Italy was no longer controlled by the Karlings I started to grab county after county, with long times of truce between conquests. It was only ever my wish to become King of Italy. As I gathered more prestige and wealth, I was ably to marry my sons and daughters to dukes and duchesses and later to kings and queens all over the known world. Amalfi has seen it all. Scottish, Welsh, Khazar, Dutch and Basque doges ruled the great republic.
    It is the year 1152 now. The world is not the same. The current Doge of Amalfi is the second richest person in the world next to the pope with a staggering 58000 spare gold in his treasury. It's not only extremely wealthy but Amalfi is also the most technologically advanced realm in the known world. Universities (tier 2 ones even) exist in every city. Every possible holding slot has been filled out, every building has been constructed (well, as much as the state of technology allows it). After Venice had been wiped out by the Byzantines, Amalfi controls the entire trade in the eastern Mediterranean.
    The current Byzantine Emperor is one of my kinsmen and the heir to the Kingdom of Germany is my son (doesn't mean much because republics have seniority succession).
    And yet, all I ever wanted to be was King of Italy which I still haven't achieved at all. :(

Oh, I also closed the Gates of Hell at some point.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

State of Grace Simulator 2013. Proteus, I mean. Everything the RPS guys wrote turned out to be quite accurate, something I was skeptical about: having tried the game while it was still in development, I was expecting to join the ranks of those complaining about it being empty, but it's simply not the case.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Network Hub
    I would have been playing Gunpoint (having picked up the Special Edition on the last day it was on sale on Steam), if it actually worked for me. (I seem to be having some kind of .NET 3.5 configuration problem as far as I can tell, but no amount of prodding .NET installs in Wine seems to fix it. Roll on the Linux version so I can play it natively.) [Edited to add: no, it was the visual basic runtime that was broken! Reinstalling vcrun2008 leads to lovely Gunpoint goodness!]

As it is, then, I'm playing more Dishonored, which turns out to be basically the only game I've bought in the Steam Sale, other than Super Hexagon, that actually worked for me when I've tried it! The Boyle Party mission is... amusing... but some of the interactions seem a little glitchy (in particular, the watch officer who wanders around in the servants area is unpredictable in his temper) and it's annoying that, once you know which Boyle is which, you can't have conversations with either of the others that amount to anything.
    Last edited by aoanla; 03-01-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: mea culpa on Gunpoint not working

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Finished Mirror's Edge, being thorougly impressed by it. It was quite short though, which is a shame. According to Steam, I finished the game in under six hours, and that's not counting the time I took wandering around and taking screenshots. More of this please! I would've liked the world to be a bit more open too. It looks open, but there are not much possibilities for exploring it.
    I never believed people praising mirror's edge the first time they got through. My first couple of hours were unbearable (UNBEARABLE) and i spent a lot of time dicking around before finishing it. It takes time to find unconventional paths and pull wall-stunts that really add some tension. It just wasn't put togheter well enough to teach people to find routes, not to mention shortcuts. You may like time trials more.

I also spent some time lying down in front of the mall (or whatever that place was) watching planes flying around. Was chilling
    Last edited by Wenz; 03-01-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: was unbearable

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by fallingcow View Post
    I never believed people praising mirror's edge the first time they got through. My first couple of hours were unbearable (UNBEARABLE) and i spent a lot of time dicking around before finishing it. It takes time to find unconventional paths and pull wall-stunts that really add some tension. It just wasn't put togheter well enough to teach people to find routes, not to mention shortcuts. You may like time trials more.
    Hey, I can't imagine people wanting to play it more than once. I bought the time trials add-on and didn't like that much either. I can't really think of anything I'd praise it for, besides the soundtrack - foot races in Crackdown and Saints Row IV beat it hollow for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Zeno Clash 2: Fun and ridiculous as the first one.
    Reus The time limit is a stupid mechanic, as is the unlock system, and they should be ashamed for having it. Love the terraforming aspect of the game though. The game also needs to display more info.
    Rogue Legacy: From the celebrated makers of Don't Shit Your Pants, comes a similar addition to the cannon of serious games. It's good fun though, really addictive.

I mostly agree with this. Luck is much less of a factor, though still a significant one, if you know what you are doing. The game doesn't do a very good job telling players that beam weapons are eventually useless. After beating the ship a few times you see the following things:

In almost every game that's remotely random, make as much money as possible. Money = strength eventually.
    Teleporters rule. The extra scrap makes the game much easier, especially the final fights.
    Stay in an area as long as possible, and maximize early fights. Fights against easier opponents = money = strength.
    You need more than one line of defense. Shields, cloaks, and defense turrets cannot beat the boss alone.
    Missiles are a difficult tactic in the early game, but make life much easier in the late one.
    Beam weapons are great early on. The high shields in later game render them a waste of a slot.
    Mixed race crews rule. Mantis for invading, engi for repairs and dialogue, zoltan for extra power, rocks for invading and difficult repairs. Slugs for sensing and dialogue options.
    Never send your crew down to things. I wish they would let you choose who to send, but since you can't, the risk isn't really worth it.
    I'll never get the crystal ship. No matter how I try.
    Last edited by Internet; 03-01-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Hey, I can't imagine people wanting to play it more than once. I bought the time trials add-on and didn't like that much either. I can't really think of anything I'd praise it for, besides the soundtrack - foot races in Crackdown and Saints Row IV beat it hollow for me.
    I replayed it out of curiosity to find shortcuts i coudn't spot straight away and in some bits it felt like, idk, a jackie chan movie with lots of walljumping.
    But yeah, not much to do after a couple of plays, so much for the jungle city. Cool interiors though, still curious about the next game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Finished Long Live The Queen twice. On paper it sounds unappealing. It has nonsensical anime art-style, generic story/setting/characters and the "gameplay" is horrible, I'm not sure it even deserves to be called a game. But I still enjoyed it because decision-making keeps it interesting even if at least half of it is random guessing. Some of the options are just too delicious. It's also pretty deep in a way of having plenty of branching subplots even if the main story is linear. I rewatched it almost instantly with all stats maxed out just to see some other routes. So I guess I liked it, huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Finished Long Live The Queen twice. On paper it sounds unappealing. It has nonsensical anime art-style, generic story/setting/characters and the "gameplay" is horrible, I'm not sure it even deserves to be called a game. But I still enjoyed it because decision-making keeps it interesting even if at least half of it is random guessing. Some of the options are just too delicious. It's also pretty deep in a way of having plenty of branching subplots even if the main story is linear. I rewatched it almost instantly with all stats maxed out just to see some other routes. So I guess I liked it, huh.
    Says you, with that avatar. :P

I partly bought it because I thought the art looked really strong: good use of proportion (both on the "realistic" princess and the daft chibi art), consistent, nice use of colour. I was interested in the developers for a while but their only other game on Steam (Magical Academy, IIRC?) looked visually horrible to my way of thinking. Can't speak to any other aspect of the game, though, I've not even started it up yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fallingcow View Post

I also spent some time lying down in front of the mall (or whatever that place was) watching planes flying around. Was chilling
    I loved it first time through. I felt like finding routes and shortcuts was all about iteration and was more of a bonus than the "point." I don't know that the game could or should have done a lot to "teach" you how to do that. Doing that was about experience and exploration and failure. It was about realizing "Wait a minute, that railing is mantle-able and I can run up that wall and not pitter about going up the stairs like a normal person!" The game can't really teach you how to do that. You just have to DO it. I think there are plenty of construction errors in the game, but I have to say that particular one is more of a player preference/experience/skill thing than an issue of construction. Shortcuts were never essential outside of time trials in any case though they often helped you avoid having to pick up guns by being too quick for your enemies to get a good shot at you. Which, again, wasn't entirely necessary to the game though the awkward gunplay was awkward for both good and bad reasons (I'd call it 80/20).

It's a fair criticism that the game has a weird difficulty curve. For my part, I still really enjoyed it in between the "You can survive most of the game, but it's not particularly great" stage and the "I am a freerunning god" stage. My brain really loved how the game handled motion and it felt just amazing enough during the easy bits that I was convinced if I tried hard enough I'd find a sense of flow throughout the game.

Played Time Trials and bounced off it hard. It's so frigging hard to tell what's part of the world and what's set dressing. What's a path and what's a disturbingly path-like pitfall. Navigating in the Time Trials add-on is a nightmare of memorization and awkwardness. I'm all for iterative platforming, too. VVVVVV is one of my favorite games. I'm currently enjoying Spelunky though I did get really, really pissed off at it for a couple of design choices that make the game more chaotic than I think is reasonable given how predictable and precise 98% of it is and almost gave up on the damn thing after the absolutely awful experience I had trying to make the Cave shortcut--somehow that was a million times worse than trying to make the Temple shortcut which was actually an engaging challenge (partially this is a matter of skills learned during the misery of the former, but a lot of it was down to luck playing a much bigger part in getting ahold of a shotgun than getting ahold of the key). The Time Trials DLC was just really, really frustrating. I tried to check my math by replaying levels in time trial mode and while not as good as I was when I first played it I wasn't doing too bad and really enjoyed myself.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    So a few more hours into Risk of Rain now and I think I'm over the hurdle of finding my footing. The game does have a great difficulty curve baked into the design, but the actual starting point is quite high up. Good thing they start you off with a fairly forgiving character. Unlocked The Enforcer and Bandit now and Bandit is definitely my favourite - I didn't realise at first, but manually hitting fire is quicker than holding it down. Getting his combo off is really satisfying too.

Man, this game is great. It's really hard if you let it hard and get complacent, because as soon as you do you die. It's also fantastic in co-op, if not a little bit awkward to get going.