Page 954 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 45485490494495295395495595696410041054 ... LastLast
Results 19,061 to 19,080 of 24106
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Just completed my second xcom: enemy within playthrough now, this time with Ironman and Training Roulette both on. (Classic Difficulty) very much enjoyed it, especially Training Roulette, which added lots of variety, and further personalised each soldier.

Enjoying the thought of being able to play another game finally!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As well as getting drawn back over and over into Hearthstone (I think I'm mentally blocking the shit voices now) I still find myself throwing all my 'gaming' time into Ingress

The dogs have never been walked as far before - I've been places I'd never been before - this ARG lark is quite enjoyable - I can recommend it (and it counts as PC gaming because I spend HOURS on a PC planning stuff!) :)

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I loved it first time through. I felt like finding routes and shortcuts was all about iteration and was more of a bonus than the "point." I don't know that the game could or should have done a lot to "teach" you how to do that. Doing that was about experience and exploration and failure. It was about realizing "Wait a minute, that railing is mantle-able and I can run up that wall and not pitter about going up the stairs like a normal person!" The game can't really teach you how to do that. You just have to DO it. I think there are plenty of construction errors in the game, but I have to say that particular one is more of a player preference/experience/skill thing than an issue of construction. Shortcuts were never essential outside of time trials in any case though they often helped you avoid having to pick up guns by being too quick for your enemies to get a good shot at you. Which, again, wasn't entirely necessary to the game though the awkward gunplay was awkward for both good and bad reasons (I'd call it 80/20).
    The point of the game, much as parkour which is referenced loads of times, is finding the most efficient route. The city is beautiful as buildings look like clouds and the shard links to skies of whatever colour, but what the game offers are 2 or 3 ways to progress along with a main one that is very straightforward, makes all other options worthless, and slows the pace down to unbearable levels. It's just lame design as most of the geometry becomes irrelevant (or better, routes become dispersive), and when i say it doesn't teach players to find alternatives i mean the game doesn't force players to find routes that are not obvious. Sometimes you get ambient puzzles where you have to climb around to find a way to progress while the next part is loading up, but that's about it. Finding a way to get the jacknife is also pretty straightforward.
    You might tell me a game is as interesting as i can make it, but that's devs' work.

Eventually players get good enough to pull the stuff at 36:25
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tydy-OGxhyA
    but that's after a lot of trial and error, not really due to intuition.

The next game might be better though, looking forward to it.

eDit- and yes, full body experience is great
    Last edited by Wenz; 04-01-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Finished Mass Effect 1 again, this time in a more complete manner and with a better idea of how to do things.
    It's a truly odd game. Massive amounts of work have gone into the voice acting, the graphics, the story, the universe, and then they did most everything else in a weirdly half-assed manner.

The dialogue system, for example. They spent all that work on the voice acting and the truly diverse option tree, but then made it unclear which option makes you say what.
    Or the upgrade system. They made all these different armors and mods and ammo types and whatnot and then implement a crawling horror of an inventory system that is a pain to use (most of the blame there probably falls on it being designed for controllers, but even with that there's something fundamentally wrong).
    Same with shopkeepers. Having to trigger the same conversations up to three times to see everything, instead of letting you just switch between categories quickly gets annoying (a problem that isn't exactly uncommon in games that have stores, granted).
    The Mako missions. I actually think the missions are fine, but the terrain in 90% of them was designed by a drug-addled lemur which makes things annoying and at times extremely tedious. 'Let's make the player drive around this mountain range eight times looking for a way up, because that's bound to be entertaining'... (also, I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get an achievement when I finally, after 60+ hours, managed to flip the Mako completely).
    Tons of different systems and planets, each with their own description, and asteroids and no way to keep track of which ones you've surveyed or visited (as a side note, it's not actually as hard to find all the minerals, medals and writings as it first appears; I found them all, and more, without having to painstakingly search every area).
    Romances/friendships (not that many options in ME1, but still), which do add something to the game. But then they go and make a default romance that takes quite a bit of work to avoid (I don't know what I missed of story involving Kaidan because I was so paranoid about triggering the romance that I barely dared to talk to him).
    Too Many Lifts. Why make it so painful to move around? Especially Noveria, and Peak 15 in particular, is completely ridiculous.
    Enjoying the game more the second time around because they fail to explain too many things when you first play it (also not an uncommon thing with RPGs, granted).

Combat, which I thought was fairly iffy when I first played the game, actually works well enough once you get used to it, and once you turn the aim assist down to its lowest setting. Or maybe it's just that after trying ME2, it feels much more natural in the first game.

Still, all that said, I can see why the game got so popular. I enjoyed it a lot (and will no doubt play it again). Just a shame it's not nearly as good as it could have been.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Pretty much agree with all your points there. I had a great time with the game but it sure has some stupid design. About the keeping track of which places you've visited; is there really no indicator of that? Maybe not. I seem to remember making sure to do everything in a single area before doing any story stuff and/or leaving.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    Pretty much agree with all your points there. I had a great time with the game but it sure has some stupid design. About the keeping track of which places you've visited; is there really no indicator of that? Maybe not. I seem to remember making sure to do everything in a single area before doing any story stuff and/or leaving.
    I think you have to do it that way. I couldn't find any indicators at all, at least, so it's quite likely I've missed some minor side-missions.

In ME2 they added the percentage thing, and planets you've looked at get named in the system overview, which helps, but leaves the problem of seeing which planets you've depleted when scanning for minerals; you have to revisit each one (which, with the silly 'move the ship manually' thing they put in ME2, quickly gets annoying).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I spent some time last night doing this:

I can't believe this isn't Japanese.

The world was clearly lacking a stuffed cat racing game.

I played a few missions in Borderlands 2, having been given the prospect of someone to play it with, but I realize I really do not want to spend my time looking at numbers of guns or down the sight of one, shooting even more faceless bandits. Not even if I could play it with the most interesting person in the world.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    In ME2 they added the percentage thing, and planets you've looked at get named in the system overview, which helps, but leaves the problem of seeing which planets you've depleted when scanning for minerals; you have to revisit each one (which, with the silly 'move the ship manually' thing they put in ME2, quickly gets annoying).
    If you're planning on moving on to ME2 then I highly recommend using a savegame editor to bypass all resource collecting. Just give yourself 500000 of the 4 elements and imagine that your ship AI is intelligent enough to fly around lauching/buying probes while Shepard is sleeping.
    Then all you need to do is visit every place once to see if there's an anomaly detected.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I would recommend being wary of using the drake sword, at least on your first playthrough for two reasons

1. It is just too powerful. You'll be oneshotting mooks and tearing the shit out of bosses when you SHOULD be learning defensive techniques and how to do hit and runs
    2. It gets you into the wrong mindset. In most RPGs (at least Western, probably Japanese too), you just find new gear all the time and switch to it. Dark Souls is more about finding what weapon's moveset best suits your style and upgrading it (and then upgrading similar weapons to cover the different elemental damages).
    Oh, don't worry, I have no intention of using it most of the time, I'll try to kill undead burg's black knight with it, though, we'll see how that goes.
    As far as weapons go, I'm really liking spears, so I think that's what I'll go for.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Many words about the first Mass Effect.
    I agree with everything you wrote. It's a game I loved, but there were so many baffling things about it. The terrain you had to drive the Mako on and constantly having to fight that inventory to sort through dozens of incrementally different versions of the same weapons: what were they thinking?

I had a similar problem with my Shepherd in ME2 constantly trying to seduce Jacob every time I tried to have a chat. I felt like I needed a rolled up newspaper. Bad Shepherd! Leave the poor man alone. What would Liara say?

Network Hub
    So, I finished Gunpoint, after quite a bit more time than the average (I became paranoid about being seen, and also was trying to be non-violent and get the laptops in every mission, so I spent a huge amount of time crosslinking stuff together to trap people in rooms and so on). My excessive caution also seems to have gotten me the "best" result on the police missions.

Ironically, I didn't use the Gatecrashers at all on the final mission (considering how much effort Tom Francis went to to ensure you had them with you for a "last act of Half-Life 2 super-powered gravity gun experience", I feel a little bad that I totally ignored them as I wasn't sure how they were going to work, or if they'd use up all my batteries...).

It's a great little game, though, with good writing, clever level design and solidly designed mechanics. It's also fairly replayable (although I wish there was a "fun" mode where you had unlimited battery power - I basically only ever used the hushcracker for silent window entry and exits, because the power consumption from everything else worried me).

Played a couple of hours of Don't Starve last night, suddenly got bored with it, and downloaded Torchlight (the first) - I still had it on GoG. Enjoying it so far.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Finished Knife of Dunwall

Kinda average but I never liked the base game much. Probably I wanted a different game, what I wanted was something like VtmB not Thief. Not the games fault of course, but there were other problems that kept bothering me. Invisible walls and unjumpable roofs. Between mission interruptions - total immersion breakers for me. The heart - hated it. Really not very interesting story with emotionally dead non-characters. And all in all Low Chaos option was boring and easy.

Now about KoD. Second mission is good, no doubt, it's memorable unlike most of the base game. But first and third ones are boring and there is no alternative option in the third one, at least I didn't find one. Then suddenly "moral choice" which seemed to me added just for good measure and is a binary, I mean I don't know anything about my character besides he is voiced by Michael Madson and not that I care about him or anyone in this game. I wished there was "whatever" optinon in all dialogue especially the final choice.

Also, on third mission I sometimes had to turn on Objective Marker because game tells you to do something but not where to go. "Go talk to your assassins" but where to? I mean I'm supposed to be their leader, right? How hard was it to add a bit of simple hints like "Go talk to your assassins in that one big room"?

I hope Witches DLC is better but not holding by breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fallingcow View Post
    The point of the game, much as parkour which is referenced loads of times, is finding the most efficient route. The city is beautiful as buildings look like clouds and the shard links to skies of whatever colour, but what the game offers are 2 or 3 ways to progress along with a main one that is very straightforward, makes all other options worthless, and slows the pace down to unbearable levels.
    It's a platformer, not a puzzle game. You're begging the question saying that the point of the game is to find the most efficient route and then going back and saying that the game does that badly. I feel like the game is more of a platformer--your goal is to accurately execute the pathing. Finding more efficient path, doing well in time trials--that's high level play. The game is just running where you're supposed to go, avoiding or shooting enemies who stop you from safely running where you're supposed to go, and that's pretty much it. That might sound really lame, and for some players it's as lame as it sounds. But I can make equally reductive descriptions of a lot of great games, too. I'm not trying to tell you not to criticize Mirror's Edge. Different strokes and all. But ...

I don't think the game NEEDS to force you to find other routes. That's not the game. You're calling it lame design, but I can't help but feeling (whether you would otherwise still call it lame design or not (you probably would) ) that right now you're talking about the game you wanted it to be or thought it should be rather than the game that it is. I don't think pathing is supposed to be the heart of Mirror's Edge. The extra paths are there to give you a slight feeling of agency, to make it something other than a chain of QTEs. But it's a linear roller coaster that emulates the feeling of parkour's motion, not that aims to force you to thinks like a runner. The game, in it's default form, uses red highlighting to show you what you can do for crying out loud. It's not asking you to experiment. That's not the game. I think it's fair to want that to be the game, but it's not fair to say the game did it poorly. The game wasn't trying to do it in the first place.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 04-01-2014 at 08:39 PM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Correct use of 'begging the question' on the internet? Whatever next?

I'm very grateful that Guild Wars 2 has the payment model it does. I loved City of Heroes, but I fell into the subscription trap, where when I was paying monthly I felt obliged to get my money's worth, to the exclusion of other games. With GW2 I can dip in whenever I feel like. Stop playing for months and come back. Play a little here and there because I feel like it. Heck, my highest level character is 23.

A few years back I tried Stranglehold's demo and I really enjoyed it, so I decided to buy the Stranglehold Collector's Edition from Amazon , which comes with the movie Hard Boiled + Stranglehold video game (which is a sequel to the movie). That's what I'm playing right now, it's pretty good.

Super Hexagon - Hexagonest. Pretty sure dodging a barrage of c-shapes is the most exhilarating thing in a game, ever. Worth those 20 cents from the sale so far.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I spent some time last night doing this:

(Stufed cat racing video)

I can't believe this isn't Japanese.
    I replayed Power Shovel when I installed a PSX emulator not long ago. It is obviously Japanese, and it is awesomely absurd.