Page 955 of 1163 FirstFirst ... 45585590594595395495595695796510051055 ... LastLast
Results 19,081 to 19,100 of 23251
    Super Hexagon - Hexagonest. Pretty sure dodging a barrage of c-shapes is the most exhilarating thing in a game, ever. Worth those 20 cents from the sale so far.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I spent some time last night doing this:

(Stufed cat racing video)

I can't believe this isn't Japanese.
    I replayed Power Shovel when I installed a PSX emulator not long ago. It is obviously Japanese, and it is awesomely absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    It's a platformer, not a puzzle game. You're begging the question saying that the point of the game is to find the most efficient route and then going back and saying that the game does that badly. I feel like the game is more of a platformer--your goal is to accurately execute the pathing. Finding more efficient path, doing well in time trials--that's high level play. The game is just running where you're supposed to go, avoiding or shooting enemies who stop you from safely running where you're supposed to go, and that's pretty much it. That might sound really lame, and for some players it's as lame as it sounds. But I can make equally reductive descriptions of a lot of great games, too. I'm not trying to tell you not to criticize Mirror's Edge. Different strokes and all. But ...

I don't think the game NEEDS to force you to find other routes. That's not the game. You're calling it lame design, but I can't help but feeling (whether you would otherwise still call it lame design or not (you probably would) ) that right now you're talking about the game you wanted it to be or thought it should be rather than the game that it is. I don't think pathing is supposed to be the heart of Mirror's Edge. The extra paths are there to give you a slight feeling of agency, to make it something other than a chain of QTEs. But it's a linear roller coaster that emulates the feeling of parkour's motion, not that aims to force you to thinks like a runner. The game, in it's default form, uses red highlighting to show you what you can do for crying out loud. It's not asking you to experiment. That's not the game. I think it's fair to want that to be the game, but it's not fair to say the game did it poorly. The game wasn't trying to do it in the first place.

You get ambient puzzles (which consist in climbing around to find a way out of places) to allow global lighting to load up in the next parts. Or elevators, check some files from dice's site. Donno what to tell you though, having lights (or red colours in this case) as markers is basic level design and every game "feature" in games is supposed to have 2 or 3 ways to be dealt with.
    Also i can dick around Overgrowth so i have no particular wish or expectation from Mirror's Edge.;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    I had a similar problem with my Shepherd in ME2 constantly trying to seduce Jacob every time I tried to have a chat. I felt like I needed a rolled up newspaper. Bad Shepherd! Leave the poor man alone. What would Liara say?
    Either "Oh, mother" or "Commander Shepard! What is this thing you humans call... love?". :P

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Either "Oh, mother" or "Commander Shepard! What is this thing you humans call... love?". :P
    Judging from how she behaves in combat in ME1, she might just explode you...
    In my first ME1 game I mostly used Wrex and Tali, so I tried to be a bit more diverse in my second game (tried; I have problems letting go of Tali) and was very surprised at how effective Liara is. She seems rather timid in conversation, but certainly not in combat.

Another odd thing in ME2 is the lines your followers say during combat. Most of it is stuff that could have been taken from a generic action movie and doesn't fit the characters very well (and especially Garrus' voice even seems different). The games sort of feel like two conflicting teams worked on them at the same time.

Played through the Hammerhead DLC and I think it was made by the team that handled the combat; it's not very good and it completely misses everything that made the Mako missions fun in ME1. But then, it is free, so...

The Zaeed DLC was okay, but unless something more happens with him, it seems a little pointless. I do like the character, though. Especially his face.
    Seems a bit unfinished too. He has that surveillance monitor in his room, but there are no comments about it or anything. Shepard wouldn't appreciate something like that, so it seems like it was supposed to be part of least some conversation.
    The trash compactor is a bit odd too.

Zaeed's war stories are some of the best things I've heard in the Mass Effect Universe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Finished all Dishonored story DLCs on Low Chaos.

Not impressed but can't say it was all that bad. Maybe I was just playing it wrong. Low Chaos option is not very exciting in this game and I see no reason to use it. I still did because I always sneak around when game let me but it felt wrong and wasn't even practical. So in the end I just knocked everyone on the level out or put them to sleep with darts and explored. Levels are good, no doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    The Zaeed DLC was okay, but unless something more happens with him, it seems a little pointless. I do like the character, though. Especially his face.
    Seems a bit unfinished too. He has that surveillance monitor in his room, but there are no comments about it or anything. Shepard wouldn't appreciate something like that, so it seems like it was supposed to be part of least some conversation.
    The trash compactor is a bit odd too.
    The surveillance monitor and trash compactor, for me, were just things to make the ship more like it was actually lived-in and not just a location prop. They don't do anything, but they do help to give atmosphere.

As for Zaeed, he serves a dual purpose. Firstly, getting him early on gives you a direct hard-hitter if you were not one yourself. It's not particularly good game design that that's the case (and you can certainly complete the following levels before getting Archangel without heavy hitters) but there you go. Secondly, to give some information to the underbelly world of the universe. A lot of what was shown in 1 was goody-two-shoes Federation level stuff, so having a mercenary on board who tells you of fantastic stories about everything utterly illegal done, I thought, was a nice counter-point. And they really are fantastic stories, it's just a shame that like the rest of the characters, it can be hard to determine when he has anything new to say.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    My problem with Zaeed and later Kasumi was that they stood out from the other characters. When talking to them in their rooms they had very little "face camera" time and mostly they just stood there and said something when you clicked on a light switch or something. They didn't get the same amount of attention as say Jack or Garrus or Jacob, all of who would for the most part bring up the dialogue interface unless they had absolutely nothing left to say.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Are you suggesting that Blandy McBlandington, aka. Jacob, actually had anything interesting to say?!