Page 956 of 1138 FirstFirst ... 45685690694695495595695795896610061056 ... LastLast
Results 19,101 to 19,120 of 22755
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    It's not worth getting, and I am a staunch supporter of Obsidian. The narrative is more interesting than any of the other dungeon siege games, but it's a boring ARPG through and through.
    Seconded. Very much a console port too, very limited field of view, can't zoom out, no proper inventory, and everything takes ages to do because it's made for a controller. Combat is very dull.
    It doesn't have much in common with DS1 and 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AshEnke View Post
    Speaking of Game of Thrones, it makes me remember, how is Dungeon Siege 3 ?
    Play at as a gunslinging witch. Seriously she is so laughably overpowered it was fun at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Network Hub
    Started playing Mark of the Ninja as I missed it originally, I'm loving it and I don't want it to end but I fear I'm getting close to that point :O

Something satisfying about stealth kills in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    Started playing Mark of the Ninja as I missed it originally, I'm loving it and I don't want it to end but I fear I'm getting close to that point :O

Something satisfying about stealth kills in that game.
    It's a brilliant design. Did you get the DLC? I haven't tried it but it's more game for you.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    It's a brilliant design. Did you get the DLC? I haven't tried it but it's more game for you.
    No I'm actually playing it from my other halfs shared games through the friends and family steam sharing scheme thingy, I don't think he has the DLC but if he does it didn't share that. Is it just more missions at the end or do they interweave with the story or something? Might look into it.

The Special Edition DLC adds a prequel mission as the tattoo artist.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/239570/

Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    No I'm actually playing it from my other halfs shared games through the friends and family steam sharing scheme thingy, I don't think he has the DLC but if he does it didn't share that. Is it just more missions at the end or do they interweave with the story or something? Might look into it.
    The DLC is a kind of a prequel story, but the quality is as good as the main game. It's a little on the short side, but it's fairly cheap to buy. (Even cheaper if it goes on sale on steam).

I really enjoyed it, and was delighted to see extra content for my favourite game from 2012.

Activated Node
    Still playing Euro Truck Simulator 2.Love it. Really can't get my head around why I enjoy driving ridiculous distances while listening to random music, but I do! I now have a minion! Yayy! Who is really great at losing me money. But I don't mind, as I make money on the trips I make. Just hope as he levels, his ability to lose money is replaced with the ability to make money. I also forked out for a top of the range Volvo Globetrotter, and at first I thought it was garish sat in the cab, but once I started the engine and broke several speed limits, I fell in love with it. Now saving for more trucks and more minions!Also I've dipped back into World of Warcraft.I told myself I never would... but I did. This time I've removed my rose-tinted goggles (I'm still fond of the the pre-WotLK WoW) and I am actually enjoying the very polished game, and with the server merge system going, its nice to see other players running around the world. I've decided to play as Horder (was very pro-Alliance before, but I love Tauren so damn much) just to see how the other side live through TBC, WotLK and Cata and finally get a decent taste of MoP.I bought Company of Heroes 2!Had a quick blast and quite liked the opening mission, then my OCD kicked me in the nuts and said "You ain't finished CoH1 yet, douchebag!" so I reinstalled and now playing this instead. Now, I ain't no RTS player at all, but I do love the setting and atmosphere that CoH captures and lose myself in my own version of Band of Brothers but with Generic GI instead of ones that I connected with when watching the TV show.Also - Knights of the Old Republic on iOS.... I actually think it plays better than on the PC... controls feel just righ :-/ Might just be me though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tykh02 View Post
    Still playing Euro Truck Simulator 2.Love it. Really can't get my head around why I enjoy driving ridiculous distances while listening to random music, but I do! I now have a minion! Yayy! Who is really great at losing me money. But I don't mind, as I make money on the trips I make. Just hope as he levels, his ability to lose money is replaced with the ability to make money. I also forked out for a top of the range Volvo Globetrotter, and at first I thought it was garish sat in the cab, but once I started the engine and broke several speed limits, I fell in love with it. Now saving for more trucks and more minions!
    Your "minions" will never make as much money as you, but when you get several of them things do start to add up. Also, it makes no difference what truck you give them, so just buy the cheaper ones.

After a holiday break I'm still playing Path of Exile, which is still amazing but I've hit the familiar brickwall of level 80+. Experience is slow, drops are plentiful but meaningless, you know the drill with games like this. So I've also been slowly playing Shadow Warrior, and I'll join the chorus that says it's surprisingly excellent. And, in a more worrisome development, I'm starting to learn Foot-to-ball Overseer, 2014 version. I have a feeling I'll finally understand this game now (after bouncing off in 2009 and 2011), and this terrifies me!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    So occasionally I happen across a straight forward beat-em-up that somehow hits the sweet spot for me in terms of me being actually capable of pulling off the moves and being a well put together game in its own right. For some reason Street Fighter 4 does not fall into this category, but Mortal Kombat 9 Komplete Edition does and the fact that it has a story mode that takes you through the events of the first 3 MK games flipping through the series regulars is both entertaining, stupid and kinda nostalgic (I played MK1,2 & 3 then haven't touched the series since, also - bad parents I was only like 8 when MK1 came out!).

It's probably not a game for fighter purists, with it's relatively simplistic moves and prescribed combos, but it just flows well and pulling off a solid combo feels very satisfying. The problems with MK are well documented and the women in the game both look ridiculous in terms of proportion and attire and are treated poorly by the plot. It's an MK game so I guess that's to be expected, but it's probably the main thing stopping me from outright loving MK9 (along with a slight longing for an arcade stick).

The fatalities in my opinion are so over the top that they become quite comical, rather than being particularly cringe-worthy. To counter that assertion here is a bonus screenshot of someone who has strung up their foe and is enjoying a nice shower in their blood (note that the damage decals on the female characters somehow involve them wearing even less clothing).

http://i.imgur.com/73AbotJ.jpg - NSFW

It's kind of a gaming guilty pleasure, I know that I should really be outraged and disgusted by the content of this game, but It's really darn fun to play. I'll definitely take the plunge and buy Injustice: Gods Among Us when it hits a decent price point as by all accounts the devs did a really good job of that too.

Edit: Making the Screenshot a link as it's a bit NSFW
    Last edited by Jockie; 06-01-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Just started Planescape Torment for the first time in a long time. It looks…well not lovely but certainly crisply serviceable all HD on my 1920 x 1080 display. I can’t really remember/imagine what it looked like on a wee monitor, it almost seems to have been made for bigger resolutions. The animation is still very characterful which equates to strong in my book.

Aside from everything else-yes it’s superlative-I’m just really surprised at how quickly I have taken to basically sitting at my desk and reading words while still enjoying the game without really being aware of the fact that I am for all intents and purposes reading. It’s interesting how in the recent years of “Not a game” criticism offerings like PS:T haven’t really been subjecting to this, even though they’re 80% book and I spend as much of the time doing literally nothing in terms of input as doing things, if not the majority of it. I was playing three hours last night but probably clicked my mouse less in that time than I would have clicked in the space of five minutes of most games.

Anyway it remains a fucking ace game/experience/thing. There is more of a sense of character/tone and better use of expository techniques in the Mortuary section than most games manage in their entirety.

I found out the hard way that if you buy the Sunset Invasion DLC for Crusader Kings 2 and don't turn it off in the launcher it will start without asking you. Not that I mind too much since history is pretty much off the rails in my game anyways.
    If you read my previous post, I started playing the usually doomed Republic of Amalfi in 867 and tried to turn it from a historical footnote into a medieval superpower.
    Much has happened ever since Doge Damianos the Fat has closed to Gates of Hell. In the game Amalfi is so doomed, it doesn't even get its own kingdom-tier republic title (the fabled "Most Serene Republic") but I found out that you can grab a a title from another republic if it no longer exists. This way Amalfi existed as Most Serene Republic of Pisa for some years even though it never moved from Amalfi. I don't think this was ever intended to work but it did the job. After I crushed Genoa I could have taken their kingdom title too. Did I mention I crushed Genoa? In fact, I crushed all of Italy because that was my goal right from the start: to become King of Italy. That turned out to be rather difficult because republics cannot usurp titles. The only way I could become King of Italy was to completely unland the current holder and make sure the title doesn't fall into foreign hand where it could potentially live on even longer. Only when the king has no de jure land left the title becomes void again.
    So that's what I did for the next couple hundred years. I forged claims, married claim holders and slowly chipped away at Italy over dozens of small wars. I put dynasty members on the thrones of Byzantium, Germany and really, all over the world. Long after another dynasty had taken oven Constantinople again I managed to grab some land from them during one of their many civil wars.
    Thus I was able to create the Kingdom of Sicily and become the Most Serene Republic of Sicily even though I owned no land whatsoever on the actual island of Sicily. That seems to be a bit of a theme here.
    During this time terrible things happened. One of my vassals kind of accidentally conquered Rome, something which I had previously avoided, and with that did that irreparable damage to Catholicism. Without crusades to keep the Muslims busy, the Asturian reconquest of Spain, which was almost complete at that point completely grinds to a halt and after a successful Jihad is almost entirely undone. Egypt blobs uncontrollably and controls about 90% of the Muslim world. Additionally, Sunni style Islam is almost completely extinguished save for some isolated provinces in the steppes.
    Egypt then called a Jihad against the Byzantines which despite the best efforts from the three great Orthodox powers, Byzantium, Germany and Amalfi succeeded. Tenthousands died on both sides but it was in vain. Even though not much land was lost, the Byzantine Empire started its slow decline.
    Meanwhile the Doge of Sicily sat on his throne and plotted his way onto the throne if Italy... but that is another story.

The Egyptian Jerjerid dynasty at not quite the height of their power. It's as scary as it looks.

The British islands and the aftermath of the Jihad for Aragon and the...other invasion. It's not pretty.

The hordes did not live up to their reputation at all. Neither the Seljuks nor the Ilkhanate or the Golden Horde got very far. They didn't take land from the Byzantines which seemed like a really obvious target ripe for the taking. Presumably they got torn apart by the Egyptians.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    @sonson

Planescape is free of the "not a game" criticism because at its core there's still a (crudely implemented, underused) AD&D framework and a fair bit of combat. Of course, the "game" parts of it are absolutely terrible, but that's neither here nor there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar

Okay crazy lady!

Been looking forward to this all Christmas and New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Just started Planescape Torment for the first time in a long time. It looks…well not lovely but certainly crisply serviceable all HD on my 1920 x 1080 display. I can’t really remember/imagine what it looked like on a wee monitor, it almost seems to have been made for bigger resolutions. The animation is still very characterful which equates to strong in my book.

Aside from everything else-yes it’s superlative-I’m just really surprised at how quickly I have taken to basically sitting at my desk and reading words while still enjoying the game without really being aware of the fact that I am for all intents and purposes reading. It’s interesting how in the recent years of “Not a game” criticism offerings like PS:T haven’t really been subjecting to this, even though they’re 80% book and I spend as much of the time doing literally nothing in terms of input as doing things, if not the majority of it. I was playing three hours last night but probably clicked my mouse less in that time than I would have clicked in the space of five minutes of most games.

Anyway it remains a fucking ace game/experience/thing. There is more of a sense of character/tone and better use of expository techniques in the Mortuary section than most games manage in their entirety.
    I replayed Fallout in the last three days (surprisingly quick when you remember the broad strokes of where to go and what to do) and my experience was similar, though that is a far less literary experience. It is remarkable how fast I moved from "argh, jaggies!" to really appreciating the look of it and getting completely used to all the reading. It may be part nostalgia, but I think in some ways these games benefit from the slightly abstract art and all the text letting your imagination do a lot of the work. In any case it's lovely and after Fallout 2 I'm planning to move on to Planescape Torment as well.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post

I agree with almost everything here. Last time I started Torment up afresh it was a genuine shock to realise yes, the writing really was as good as I remembered it. Better, even. It is pretty much a very fancy interactive novel, arguably, and it does dip a little too far into cheeseball fantasy here and there, but it would be a genuinely excellent story in any medium, and the quality of the writing - the storytelling, the technical skill - is as much a part of that as the element of choice.

I still think pretty much every game ever made in the Infinity Engine looks godawful, though. Sorry. I cringed when I first saw the character sheets in Torment and I cringed every time I saw them again over the years. Ugh. Ugly, ugly game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    @sonson

Planescape is free of the "not a game" criticism because at its core there's still a (crudely implemented, underused) AD&D framework and a fair bit of combat. Of course, the "game" parts of it are absolutely terrible, but that's neither here nor there.
    It's funny that it'd probably be a better product if it avoided trying to be a game so much. Still, even if you removed most of the RPG system and the combat it'd still qualify as a game because a lot of the dialogue involves trying to work your way to a desired outcome rather than just saying what you feel most comfortable saying, and also there are adventure-game-like elements to finding the right things, bringing them to the right places and doing the right things with them in order to progress.

It always irritated me, as an IE fan, that it employed the IE so poorly, and that will probably always colour my opinion of the game. I also think it is often a little too clever for its own good, but that's just a personal preference---I don't like playing with tropes without good reason, but I know a lot of people who play video games do.

Full marks for making a lost-your-memory plot work well though.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    It's funny that it'd probably be a better product if it avoided trying to be a game so much. Still, even if you removed most of the RPG system and the combat it'd still qualify as a game because a lot of the dialogue involves trying to work your way to a desired outcome rather than just saying what you feel most comfortable saying, and also there are adventure-game-like elements to finding the right things, bringing them to the right places and doing the right things with them in order to progress.
    My ability to comment is limited, because I find it such a chore to play that I've never made it more than a couple of hours into the game (despite a half dozen or so attempts). Then again, I think I'm unusual in that I was quite familiar with the setting before playing this game, so rather than having an awe-struck reaction to the uniqueness of it my response was "well, this is underutilized."

I've often wondered whether, if you stripped out the miserable combat and the pretense of being a D&D game (in the mechanical sense), I'd get along with it better. Then again I think I'd still find the opening act disengaging, and the main character thoroughly offputting, so maybe it wouldn't make a difference. The one thing I just can't make work is an RPG where I'm stuck playing a character I don't like.

Major problem in Mass Effect 2; my fish keep dying.

I am playing UnEpic and it is a really great indie rpg. I think I spent three hours already, after twenty days abroad without my PC. Good thing the steam website allows you to connect to your country's equivalent account (using /?cc=uk at the end of the URL) and I could purchase a few games during the xmas sale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    It may be part nostalgia, but I think in some ways these games benefit from the slightly abstract art and all the text letting your imagination do a lot of the work. In any case it's lovely and after Fallout 2 I'm planning to move on to Planescape Torment as well.
    I would say it's less the abstract art style and more the low resolution. If you read the PE forums there's non-stop bitching about how the art was better in Baldur's Gate from people that would be mutinous if PE delivered Infinity Engine resolution art.

Low resolution games benefit immensely from having imagination do the heavy lifting, and many times are better for it. This is especially true with the cult of the screenshot (less relevant for PE, but still), where people complain about a roughly textured firetruck you see for less than a second.

I think it's one of the many reasons a hi-rez version of minecraft hasn't become wildly popular.