Page 960 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 46086091095095895996096196297010101060 ... LastLast
Results 19,181 to 19,200 of 23287
    I've quite fallen in love with Nihilumbra. It's a small game and as far as I know, it was originally for mobile devices. (Don't quote me on that) For some reason, it helps me on a personal level as the game keeps telling the player how he/she is useless and worthless. It's not a long game by a long shot, and honestly, I've been passing it by when I feel like it, playing one world at a time, spending about half an hour doing just that, but hey, the game allows you to jump in and out of it, so why not make use of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcLR2uYXnc There's a link to some gameplay of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Really, they just shouldn't. If you haven't made a game where clever use of your powers can obliterate your foes, don't show anybody wielding that sort of power. Have them doing something clever instead. It's not that hard. If you absolutely must, show it being an exceptional and ill-chosen thing to do, by inflicting some manner of strong negative consequence on the character that the player can exploit/rescue them from, to justify not just busting out the superpowers the moment things get hairy.
    What annoyed me the most is that my Biotic Shepard never uses his power in cutscene, that's sloppy from bioware !

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    My various lives and adventures in Don't Starve.

• Find a nice looking area that resembles an old home, decide to set up shop. Plants a small little cluster of trees. Night time. Rain. Lightning. All my trees burn down. Being totally new I didn't know about charcoal and was horribly upset.
    • Get killed by a giant eye with a beak and two legs
    • Get killed by pigmen
    • Get killed by a tentacle right after finding a dapper top hat. Respawned because of some stone I found earlier. Go back to get my top hat, get killed again
    • Found a magic door that brought me to Iceland. Die of the cold.
    • Get attacked by bees, frogs and penguins
    • Get killed by a big tree at night time.
    • Find out about charcoal. Start making decent food. Find a good spot with lots of rabbit holes, saplings, grass. Set up shop. Get killed by that bloody eye bird thing again.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    What annoyed me the most is that my Biotic Shepard never uses his power in cutscene, that's sloppy from bioware !
    ME3 spoiler: Push, pull or singularity (especially) would have taken care of the ninja guy on top of the car, but noooo, my biotic Shepard HAD to use his pistol. That annoyed the crap out of me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    Especially because about a third of people play as either a Vanguard, Sentinel or full fledged Adept (see this interesting collection of stats about people's playstyle in ME3 presented by BioWare - and for those people two years behind the times; note that it contains information on the storyline of said game).

About those linked to statistics: Interesting that the decision to save the Geth or Quarians seems almost perfectly split with roughly a third for each of the three main outcomes. The decision about whether or not to cure the genophage seems far less interesting by comparison, and understandably so.

Anyway, I haven't been able to play many games this week, but Kerbal Space Program is still high on the list. I'm thinking about what objective to set for myself next. Perhaps a manned flight to the second moon, or a landing on either of the neighbouring planets.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 09-01-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    About those linked to statistics: Interesting that the decision to save the Geth or Quarians seems almost perfectly split with roughly a third for each of the three main outcomes. The decision about whether or not to cure the genophage seems far less interesting by comparison, and understandably so.
    If you didn't meet the requirements, you couldn't choose to save both. If you had free choice, I suspect that would be more common than the other two individually at least.

Trying to play Metal Gear Rising: Revengamacationings but the game seems to be busted when it comes to saving games. Bar that problem cutting things into little bits makes my happy in my pants.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    That's a problem with RPGs (well with most games but RPGs especially), that characters are portrayed in one way in the story but mechanically limited in actual combat. And yes, Jack can be pretty weak in combat - if you can't take the hits off her she'll usually waltz in with her shotgun and get herself knocked out, which makes all the sweary swaggering rather funny, but if you can keep the enemies' attention on you or another tank she's very good.
    I can never forgive Baldurs Gate 1 for having Gorion beat Sarevoks ass for a while in that cutscene at the start. Know what happens when I magic missile the prick later? I may as well be pissing magic into the wind.
    Same goes for Imoen hitting Irenicus with a few at the start of BG2 and him not being protected by everything under the sun.

Especially because about a third of people play as either a Vanguard, Sentinel or full fledged Adept (see this interesting collection of stats about people's playstyle in ME3 presented by BioWare - and for those people two years behind the times; note that it contains information on the storyline of said game).
    I cannot believe so few people play Vanguard. I know it's 3rd on the list but still, it's incredibly fun to play. I've just started my Soldier character in ME3 and am already planning on restarting and switching him to something like a Sentinel. Soldier is just so damn boring after playing a charging dervish of novas, shotguns and melee-lamping

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I cannot believe so few people play Vanguard. I know it's 3rd on the list but still, it's incredibly fun to play. I've just started my Soldier character in ME3 and am already planning on restarting and switching him to something like a Sentinel. Soldier is just so damn boring after playing a charging dervish of novas, shotguns and melee-lamping
    My first class was vanguard and my second sentinel on both ME2 and ME3... That being said, Vanguard is still my favourite class but sentinel is easier to play in insane difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    My various lives and adventures in Don't Starve.

• Find a nice looking area that resembles an old home, decide to set up shop. Plants a small little cluster of trees. Night time. Rain. Lightning. All my trees burn down. Being totally new I didn't know about charcoal and was horribly upset.
    • Get killed by a giant eye with a beak and two legs
    • Get killed by pigmen
    • Get killed by a tentacle right after finding a dapper top hat. Respawned because of some stone I found earlier. Go back to get my top hat, get killed again
    • Found a magic door that brought me to Iceland. Die of the cold.
    • Get attacked by bees, frogs and penguins
    • Get killed by a big tree at night time.
    • Find out about charcoal. Start making decent food. Find a good spot with lots of rabbit holes, saplings, grass. Set up shop. Get killed by that bloody eye bird thing again.
    Have you tried giving some monster meat to the pigs? They make some nice henchmen.

Also about the Big Tree, just plant some tree and he will stop attacking you.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Nah, I went at him with an axe.

I didn't try that with the pig men. Today though I left some monster meat on the ground, went off to forage for food and came back to my camp to find it covered in horrible looking eyes.

I was Vanguard in ME1 and ME2 in my first play through of them, but the changes they made in 3 made the class look very unappealing.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

You can probably just edit the save with a text editor to change classes. I did it for ME2 and it was very easy (though I would still make a back up before trying it).

Edit: BTW Sentinel shields don't show up in cutscenes in ME3 which completely ruins the class

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I can never forgive Baldurs Gate 1 for having Gorion beat Sarevoks ass for a while in that cutscene at the start. Know what happens when I magic missile the prick later? I may as well be pissing magic into the wind.
    Same goes for Imoen hitting Irenicus with a few at the start of BG2 and him not being protected by everything under the sun.
    I vaguely recall that Sarevok's magic resistance changes between the fight at the castle and the final battle as well. In fairness, he must have been up to something while you were gaining 6 levels, so let's assume he was perfecting his magic resistance. Similarly, you don't fight Irenicus until he's removed his curse.

If Gorion had remembered to memorize some decent spells instead of spending his time hacking the game so he could cast Cure Light Wounds, he ought to have beaten Sarevok's ambush relatively comfortably.

More generally, I think that in most video games it's a good policy to assume that what's happening on the screen during gameplay is not an accurate representation of what would be happening in "reality". You can extend that principle to cutscenes too, really.
    Last edited by NathanH; 09-01-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Nah, I went at him with an axe.

I didn't try that with the pig men. Today though I left some monster meat on the ground, went off to forage for food and came back to my camp to find it covered in horrible looking eyes.

Its some type of seed. Those eyes are great defense in your camp( specially against the hounds). They will eat everything that walk past them. You can get the seed again when you kill the plant in the middle then plant it in your chosen area.

[spoiler]I find it a good combo to plant the seed and a spider egg a little bit closer to each other. that way you have unlimited supply of web[/spoiler]

I also tend to built camp near beefalo for the easy supply of manure.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Trying out The Knife of Dunwall. It's... more Dishonored, more or less. Which is a good thing, on the whole. Have only played two missions so don't have a complete picture yet but I'm having fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I was Vanguard in ME1 and ME2 in my first play through of them, but the changes they made in 3 made the class look very unappealing.
    Yeah. I was a Vanguard in ME1 and my first run of ME2 and I almost always played Vanguard when I did ME3 MP, but it just isn't a good class for the higher difficulties. It is fun as hell, but its mechanic is to charge forward and tackle people, but ME2's ammo system nerfed the hell out of shotguns. So you were basically putting yourself in a really bad position where you will immediately get blasted to hell.

Again, REALLY fun, but just not a viable class for anything other than dicking around. Although, at least with ME3 you can use whatever guns you want so it might be more viable.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    See I found it kind of similar to every other class in ME1. ME2 was when I learned how wonderful Biotic Charge was, with Barrier used in tandem to stop death.
    But ME3, that perfected it. Now you could go for minimal weapon loadout so that Charge had a cooldown of <2second, and you could spec it to regenerate 100% of your shields whenever used. Then you level some skills to improve melee - I took Fortification as my bonus power (counteracting power cooldown penalty with other things) and so always had that active and boosting melee/shields - so that post-charge the first thing you do is lamp some prick. Then you level Nova so you can Charge, regen full shield, Nova, survive for 1 second and then Charge off somewhere else to regen your shield again. For bonus points, Pull someone first and then Charge them for the biotic explosion effect. Every combat instance when playing as a Vangaurd in ME3 became engaging. Even the little, inconsequential ones was loads of fun just because of what you could do. Biotic Charge is the single best ability in any Mass Effect game, but really comes alive thanks to how the loadout system works in ME3 and the synergy with other abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    You can probably just edit the save with a text editor to change classes. I did it for ME2 and it was very easy (though I would still make a back up before trying it).

Edit: BTW Sentinel shields don't show up in cutscenes in ME3 which completely ruins the class
    You seem to be able to switch when importing the character. Not sure if the bonuses to certain skills carries over somehow but even a blank slate would be preferable to a Soldier. Infiltrator tended towards a similar play-style but did it far more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I vaguely recall that Sarevok's magic resistance changes between the fight at the castle and the final battle as well. In fairness, he must have been up to something while you were gaining 6 levels, so let's assume he was perfecting his magic resistance. Similarly, you don't fight Irenicus until he's removed his curse.
    What was he doing, rubbing up against drow for a few weeks? Shooting illithid blood? At best we can say he was a potion-swilling asshole, but that doesn't explain how dispel magic, remove effects etc don't work.

Played through the World in Conflict campaign. Shorter than I remembered it (~12 hours), even with Soviet Assault, but it's still pretty good.
    It is another game that suffers too much from the 'don't let the player do stuff' syndrome, though. Too many interruptions and there isn't much in the way of choices when it comes to solving missions; there's usually no time to do it any other way than the developers intended.
    Most frustrating is the habit it has of having your commander shout at you to do something that you're already doing or interrupting the action by grabbing the camera to show you something you already know (particularly when the commander then finishes off with "but you already know that"...).
    Still, it's fun. I also like the bits in France with UN units where the Humvee driver has an extremely Danish accent. It's rather amusing.

While playing it I started wishing for an open world RTS game. I'm not quite certain how it would work, but ...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Wow, that's a lot of universes that Shepard saved only to have them overrun by Krogan.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of universes that Shepard saved only to have them overrun by Krogan.
    Not like they can't just be genophaged again. Besides, Shepard sort of owes them: 'oh, we're really in the shit with earth, lend a hand? Of course I'll help with that genophage problem.'

after: 'oh that genophage... sorry, I was sort of lying.'

Nah, they help you, it's a pretty darth vader move to alter the deal afterwards.