Page 97 of 1136 FirstFirst ... 478795969798991071471975971097 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 22715
    Couldn't resist picking up Might & Magic: Clash Of Heroes over the weekend after the WTF and playing the demo. It's a great example of "easy to learn, hard to master" since the mechanics are pretty basic but allow for great strategic depth.

Activated Node
    Battlefield 3, Battlefield 3 and more Battlefield 3. Bloody hell, I'm really liking the multiplayer. Everyone's mentioned the graphics but personally I'd put the sound design on the same level.

I've been enjoying Bronze (thanks Vinraith), just finished the last Middle Bronze Age campaign. The Kassites were an interesting race to play -- I was slow to get the hang of them, and managed to stuff up the first map a few times, but after that I found their campaign to be the easiest so far.

I'm enjoying the way each race is significantly different, but not to the point that you have to re-learn the game. Playing against a race and developing a certain opinion of their strengths and weaknesses, then playing as them can be a fun experience.

I sometimes get a slightly hollow feeling when I win because the AI made some obviously non-optimal moves, but I do understand the point of making the campaigns a kind of learnable 'puzzle mode'. Anyway, definitely worth the purchase so far! I half wish there was internet multiplayer, but it's probably a good thing for my fragile ego that there isn't.

Also gave Assassin's Creed 2 a go ($5 from GamersGate). Can't tell how long I'll stick with it, but I've had a bit of fun so far. The movement feels a bit too automated, but I'm hoping it might open up a bit as the game progresses? At the moment it's basically 'hold down 2 buttons and steer', when I'd much prefer to have a go at choosing and timing the various moves by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    After some initial difficulties with the game I gave Stalker:CoP (with Complete Mod) a second chance.
    As much as I love Stalker to its core, it is a little old school in its mannerisms.
    "Ok game, I'm stuck. What do I do?"
    "RTFM STALKER, SUCH IS LIFE IN THE ZONE!"
    "Ok, but you told me to take cover from the emition. I did and I..."
    "STOP COMPLAINING STALKER! PAY MORE ATTENTION TO ALL THE DETAILS!"
    Actually, thats kinda why I like it. The game point blank refuses to hold your hand in almost all situations and leaves you to find out the hard way. A little problematic in the age of digital distros where manuals are not things you can read on the bus home.
    Just bear in mind if you want to play the previous 2 in the series they have some kind of tutorial things, just both are botched and a mite broken.

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh
    That's one of the reasons I love Stalker. You slowly become accustomed to the game and you think you have it sussed, and then it suddenly throws a curveball that scares the shit out of you!
    It makes such little song and dance over these things also. Walking through some cave and suddenly something odd happens. Then something odder still happens, then you see something you dont quite understand, shoot it or something simlar, then "OH JESUS WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!" happens. The first bloodsucker or THAT poltergeist bit from the first Stalker scared me far more then any moment in Deadspace did.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MD! View Post
    I've been enjoying Bronze (thanks Vinraith), just finished the last Middle Bronze Age campaign.
    I'm glad you're enjoying it! Ironically, it sounds like you've found more time to play it lately than I have.

I sometimes get a slightly hollow feeling when I win because the AI made some obviously non-optimal moves, but I do understand the point of making the campaigns a kind of learnable 'puzzle mode'.
    Yup. Have you tried a survival or tournament game? When not constrained by scripting the AI is positively lethal.

I half wish there was internet multiplayer, but it's probably a good thing for my fragile ego that there isn't.
    It's a much-discussed feature, there's a good chance it will be added. In the interim, though, because of the presence of hotseat and the nature of the game, it's possible to play "correspondence Bronze" (in the same sense as correspondence chess) with the notation outlined here.

Last edited by vinraith; 14-11-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Bronze sounds familiar... is that the one from Hegemony developer?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensler View Post
    Bronze sounds familiar... is that the one from Hegemony developer?
    No, it's made by a development studio called "Dreamspike."

Info and a demo here.

I found out about it via Three Moves Ahead, maybe you heard about it there?
    Last edited by vinraith; 14-11-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    No, it's made by a development studio called "Dreamspike."

Info and a demo here.

I found out about it via Three Moves Ahead, maybe you heard about it there?
    That I did, Professor. Thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    The first bloodsucker or THAT poltergeist bit from the first Stalker scared me far more then any moment in Deadspace did.
    I imagine half of that is because, being a "Horror" FPS, Dead Space evokes genre savvy more than STALKER let on: You expect attacks from odd angles in a Horror FPS, because that's what defines the game.

You don't from a sandbox RPG and as such STALKER is actually in a better position to scare the bejeezus outta you.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I imagine half of that is because, being a "Horror" FPS, Dead Space evokes genre savvy more than STALKER let on: You expect attacks from odd angles in a Horror FPS, because that's what defines the game.

You don't from a sandbox RPG and as such STALKER is actually in a better position to scare the bejeezus outta you.
    Not really, even with the genre difference, Stalker is much better at scaring you and keeping you tense. I have a rather unhealthy phobia of radiation, so for me Stalker was in a similar position as a proper horror game; I can count with one hand the number of horror games that scared me more than Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I wasn't able to get Far Cry working again (though I will try on my Windows 7 partition soon) so I went ahead and started Far Cry 2. I made it about 10 minutes before closing to find a FOV fix, but right off the bat: Why the hell were the lean and prone features dropped? I get it, it's a completely different game from a completely different developer, but immediately the game just appealed to me less than the original. I spent 90% of every enemy encounter in Far Cry flat on my stomach, so I'm pretty annoyed that I can't do that. The weapon upgrades and massive, gorgeous map might make me stick with it though. I also love that they gave character animations for everything: pulling the map out, opening doors, picking up meds. Really helps with the immersion. So, it's a mixed bag so far.
    Last edited by sabrage; 14-11-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Another few hours with Stalker:CoP. One random crash cost me about half an hour of progress which a) was shitty and b) taught me to save even more often. The atmosphere shot mile high on route to Pripyat and I think I just met my first Pseudogiant/bullet eating gym guy. Really, a good, nicely done game that I immensely enjoy.
    Last edited by Squiz; 17-11-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    So it's taken about 4 hours (4.9 according to Steam) for my first Mom kill in The Binding of Isaac. I really like the game and the knowledge that I can come back to it for a fresh experience and still do more is great, especially with the opened up chapter. It also sort of relieves the burden from my 'Games to Complete' list, sort of. I can see it being one of those games I play when I can't decide what to play and have some time to kill. I recommend it.