Page 972 of 1163 FirstFirst ... 47287292296297097197297397498210221072 ... LastLast
Results 19,421 to 19,440 of 23254
    I can't get my head around the matchmaking in Hearthstone, occasionally I get ubernoobies (that is, people that are even less familiar with the game than me), most of the others I'm having my ass handed to me by players with far better decks than mine. There should be at least a gazillion and a half people playing it, so why exactly is finding a good match for me such a problem?

A few victories kept me in game much longer that I had planned today (I'll just play a few games of Hearthstone while I wait for that other thing), and then I found myself chasing an elusive last win that would get me some gold. Looking back at how much time I've spent on it, I can't help feeling slightly irritated by myself: lots of games in my library, more beautiful, more intriguing - because, I don't even quite like the execution: it's garish, too loud, repetitive, even grating during the tutorial, yet almost everything else is just about in the right place to keep me playing, one more turn^H^H^H^Hmatch? It's almost sinister in hindsight, that I kept playing in spite of the many things I don't like.

A long time ago, a friend of mine had what looked to me like a pretty extravagant habit: every now and then he would format his PC's hard drive, to get rid of the games he'd put on it. I'm not quite at the point where I'd throw my disk into a fire, but there is a strange, unsettling feeling, just in the back of my mind, to uninstall Hearthstone now rather than later.
    Last edited by alms; 25-01-2014 at 02:22 AM.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

^

I know that sensation. Burn all games that cause this in a fire. At least that is what I did.

OT: My EUIV Byzantium game is nearing it's end. I control all of the former eastern provinces, have restored the Pentarchy (take that, Leo III) and will soon (God willing) take control of the rest of Italia. All the while listening to Musica Romana on YouTube. It just took around 300 years. Maybe in that timeframe Rome II will be fixed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Some games you can't stop playing because they're compelling and that's good. Some because they're compulsive and that's bad. If your brain is giving you negative signals it's for a reason, and it's best to listen.

Different games treat different people differently. I'm loving Hearthstone. I'm a little obsessed, but it's in a comfortable way. I'm really enjoying myself, and eventually I know I'll move on to other things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I can't get my head around the matchmaking in Hearthstone, occasionally I get ubernoobies (that is, people that are even less familiar with the game than me), most of the others I'm having my ass handed to me by players with far better decks than mine. There should be at least a gazillion and a half people playing it, so why exactly is finding a good match for me such a problem?

A few victories kept me in game much longer that I had planned today (I'll just play a few games of Hearthstone while I wait for that other thing), and then I found myself chasing an elusive last win that would get me some gold. Looking back at how much time I've spent on it, I can't help feeling slightly irritated by myself: lots of games in my library, more beautiful, more intriguing - because, I don't even quite like the execution: it's garish, too loud, repetitive, even grating during the tutorial, yet almost everything else is just about in the right place to keep me playing, one more turn^H^H^H^Hmatch? It's almost sinister in hindsight, that I kept playing in spite of the many things I don't like.

A long time ago, a friend of mine had what looked to me like a pretty extravagant habit: every now and then he would format his PC's hard drive, to get rid of the games he'd put on it. I'm not quite at the point where I'd throw my disk into a fire, but there is a strange, unsettling feeling, just in the back of my mind, to uninstall Hearthstone now rather than later.
    I don't have any advice to offer on your situation, just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Was like Edgar Allan Poe does New Games Journalism. Like your insidious desire for more Hearthstone, I crave more of this Faintly Gothic Games Journalism which you have just invented.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    There were definitely Drift events in Grid, unfortunately.
    I was a big fan of the track drifting events but the industrial estate can go die in a poo fire.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Hearthstone sounds like WoW, they've found that addictive quality to keep people playing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sendmark View Post
    Hearthstone sounds like WoW, they've found that addictive quality to keep people playing.
    And yet enough BS to keep me away altogether.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    And yet enough BS to keep me away altogether.
    I can't stop playing the darn thing... It's kind of ridiculous. Oh well... I like having an enormous backlog whilst playing a F2P "MMO" of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I stopped using anything other than the bolt action one for that reason. Not interested in winning over enjoying myself. Although in fairness you're often as fucked if you're caught in the open by a sniper unless you find them very quickly. I made it fun by changing at least one of my choices each session, to encourage creativity basically.
    That's a good idea, I'll be sure to give it a try.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

a bit of TOME and okay, it got me. Went for an arcane blade but he was incredibly squishy sometimes so I went for a summoner. I did survive quite a few levels until I got pelted by ice giants in level 12. But I did have a good run with her for just three hours. I quite love the gameplay with infusions replacing potion hoarding but goddamn it can get fucking dull and generic at times.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Have you just started playing? I've got pretty much the same issue, only it never changed when I got a larger collection of cards. Previously I'd lose games to Rare cards that I didn't have but now I frequently get matches were people play two to three legendaries against me. What they consider worthy opponents is beyond me.

What they consider worthy opponents depends. If you are playing ranked anyone close to your rank, with one or maybe even two stars of difference is fair game, as long as you both are looking for a game, wich makes sense for ranked. On casual it just goes by wins/loses, the better you do the better your opponents are doing. You must remember, having better cards doesn't mean you should be on higher ranks, maybe they don't draw that amazing legendary most of thetime, maybe they make terrible misplays most of the time. It's quite likely an opponent might get lucky against you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    After playing the initial sections of Gunpoint, New Vegas, Call of Juarez Gunslinger and Skulls of the Shoguns (all of which I intend to go back to, promise) but finally settled on Rayman Oranges, which is exactly what I was in the mood for. I sense that in the latter half I'll give up on the more challenging aspects and just race through it and enjoy the pretties but for now I'm trying to be thorough at exploring and completing the timed levels. It is full of mad charm and I'll definitely pick up Legends at some point (given that it's apparently even better).

However I just got the expansion to XCOM in a sale so that'll probably end up distracting me from playing unplayed things.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    What they consider worthy opponents depends. If you are playing ranked anyone close to your rank, with one or maybe even two stars of difference is fair game, as long as you both are looking for a game, wich makes sense for ranked. On casual it just goes by wins/loses, the better you do the better your opponents are doing. You must remember, having better cards doesn't mean you should be on higher ranks, maybe they don't draw that amazing legendary most of thetime, maybe they make terrible misplays most of the time. It's quite likely an opponent might get lucky against you.
    I absolutely expect to go up against players who have put way more thought and effort into their decks than me in ranked, but Casual is a total crap shoot. The most unfair games I've played were in Casual mode. You claim it goes by wins/losses on casual, but does that use your all-time win ratio? The ratio of the last few weeks? Or the ratio of the class you're playing?

I try to maintain one custom deck for each class and it's not uncommon that I'll wipe an entire deck and start over, and then I test it out in Casual. If the matchmaker ignores that this is the first time I ever play with this deck and pits me against someone who's won half of all his games with a single deck, that's just stupid.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I was a big fan of the track drifting events but the industrial estate can go die in a poo fire.
    Yeah, to be clear I have no problem with race drifting, it's the "slowly skid around all these corners in a square" stuff that annoys me no end.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I absolutely expect to go up against players who have put way more thought and effort into their decks than me in ranked, but Casual is a total crap shoot. The most unfair games I've played were in Casual mode. You claim it goes by wins/losses on casual, but does that use your all-time win ratio? The ratio of the last few weeks? Or the ratio of the class you're playing?
    I think it takes into account your recent ratio, but it may be your overall one, I'm not sure.
    About it not taking into account you're just trying out a new deck I think it kind of makes some sense. It might be because I get quite competitive with card games (I was the annoying one to play magic against on my playgroup), but I find I'd rather test my new deck on a more real situation. The information I might get won't be of much use if I'm playing against other untested decks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Finished The Banner Saga. Incredible game that was more than I hoped for. Can't wait for the next chapter for which I will throw money at them. I had only a single issue with the entire game: [spoilers for final boss ahead]

I had to quit the fight with Bellower three times and restart just because the person with the arrow was in a place in the fight queue where Bellower would always have armour. Because he got +6 when his turn came around, and the arrow-bearer came either immediately after or was the person after that, there was no possibility of getting his armour to zero to use the damn arrow. Also on the first attempt the game must have bugged out as I never even saw the ability to use the arrow, which didn't help. So it was annoying having to ensure that I only kicked-off Pillage mode when the arrow-bearer was far enough away from Bellower in the initiative queue.

Aside from that it was one hell of an experience.

Finished XCOM: Enemy Unknown just now. It's really good, apart from:
    1. Lacking a "put all others into Overwatch" button, or really just having a proper key for overwatch.
    2. Never knowing your line of sight, meaning my sniper positioning was pretty bad.
    3. The ending, which was not as terrible as I would have thought, but a bit lackluster nevertheless.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    In starting up The Witcher 2: The Witcherer I'm reminded that I easily get frustrated by not having sequels, that not only follow directly on from the original but use a save file to continue on from that ending, to recognise you actually know how to play the game in a contextual way. That I have to level up basic skills is absolutely ridiculous when you acknowledge that you've already spent some 50 or however many hours with Geralt and post amnesia knows how to handle a damn sword and parry. Granted there's plenty of mechanical reasons, but it's just irksome.

Or perhaps I say this all as someone who started the combat and got their head handed to them on a plate over and over. I think I've just about got it now. I like the majority of changes that I've seen thus far, especially some of the spells being changed from "Actually shit" to "Properly useful", which on the second hardest difficulty is rather welcome (not so hot on permadeath and a continuous save slot in a game like this, although it being there is obviously good). Other than the technical aspects of the gameplay being changed, I think the first thing I noticed on starting the game is just had god damn gorgeous it is to look at, and I'm not even running it on the highest it can be (so SephKing needn't be afraid that his throne is being challenged).

It's fun though so far and pretty hilarious going from the trying-too-hard clichéd material of Dust to this where the voice-over is done well with dialogue that is appropriate and engaging. That the plot is curious too helps, although like TW1, I'm struggling to remember all the names of people and places mentioned, rolled off as they are as if you're actually in that universe and know what all these things are. Still, early days, but I'm optimistic for the rest.

As a quick aside, a note about Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS, which I've had since mid-December but been delaying in finishing because I didn't want to as I was having so much fun with it. Anyhow, I finished it last night and can safely say it's the best game I've played in a few years. It may not be the most challenging, or the most good-looking, but as a product designed to entertain, it did that and then some. Absolutely wonderful game that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone who had a 3DS/XL/2DS (and I'd say was even a system seller in its own right).