Page 974 of 1050 FirstFirst ... 4748749249649729739749759769841024 ... LastLast
Results 19,461 to 19,480 of 20982
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Banner Saga has ruined me a little at the moment and I'm craving something similar. So on that basis, can anyone recommend a game which has:
    turn-based combat which doesn't require several days to learn and which is fairly fast-paced (no excessively long animations etc);
    characters which level-up and are persistant throughout a campaign (i.e. they are carried between missions);
    something resembling a decent storyline/narrative.

So far I'm thinking HoMM 5 could work, but it depends on the combat system. Same with Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. I bounced off Disciples 3 a few months back because there was just too much dicking around in combat, so it often felt like a waste of time. Almost tempted to start up Kings Bounty: The Legend but if it's anything like Armoured Princess then only one character has any sort of persistance, which isn't really what I'm looking for. Blood Bowl is another option but completely lacks a story or characters.

I've started a game of Torchlight 2 while trying to be inspired but it really isn't working for me. At this rate I may end up sacrificing one or two of those requirements and starting a new game of Sacrifice.
    I've yet to play Banner Saga but Expeditions: Conquistador is an exploration based RPG with turn based combat and persistent leveling, random events and unrevokable choices. I enjoyed what little of it I've been able to manage as time allows. From the descriptions of Banner Saga they seem very similar, although Conquistador is more full blooded on the RPG side it would seem.

Network Hub
    I'm currently playing Remember Me. To me, it's one of those games I play for the aesthetics and the story and won't ever touch again afterwards. Neo Paris looks well realized and especially the beginning gave me a lot of Shadowrun or Ghost in the Shell Vibes. The Story, while not spectacular, was interesting to me in the same sense as Ghost in the Shell was. Quite a lot going on about identity.
    A pity then that it's gameplay is somewhat tainted, according to my tastes. In their attempt to make a variety of enemies, they dug deep in the chest of "Forget me please" game mechanics. Enemies you can only attack while there is light? Yes. Plenty. Did I mention that the light WILL flicker constantly? Enemies that WILL damage you proportionally if you attack them? Yep. Abilities with extremely long cooldown, where you need to use specifically set up combos to lower? Yep, because it sure is fun pummeling the same enemy again and again and again to make that counter go down before you can move on. A pity, really. There's something great underneath it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Have you already looked into the (Action)RPG genre? The Black Isle Studios titles should support party play without OS issues. However, Gameranger or similar software might be necessary to get it working. Diablo 2 should work as well.

How about the Commandos series? Probably not available for Mac... which might be the most limiting factor. Since I have not a lot of experience with gaming on Mac, is it possible to emulate Windows games in some way (like with Wine for Linux)?

Also, the Serious Sam games!

Edit: Stores like gog.com and Steam should allow you to search for titles filtered for OS, co-op/multiplayer, etc., maybe there's some inspiration to be had from that as well.

Edit²: I know this might be not for everyone, but some MMOs might be fun in small groups as well. A large part of the content of Guild Wars 2 is designed for parties of 5. The game goes on sale every now and then (~30$ price point) and doesn't include a subscription fee. The game has a couple of flaws but should provide a lot of fun for a bunch of people who like exploration (there's also an active GW2 RPS guild that could help out with stuff, no requirement to join or anything).
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. We've already considered some of those and are still thinking about our options. More ideas would be very welcome!
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Since I am now a bit intruiged about the whole co-op thing myself I googled "coop gaming" and one of the first hits was this site: Co-optimus. They have a search function with a bit more elaborate filters, like number of players and type of co-op (couch, online, campaign). Maybe consider giving that a look too.

Edit: Further ideas: Torchlight 2, Terraria. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.
    Edit²: Two Worlds 2 apparently has coop play for up to 8 players. I had no idea.
    Last edited by Squiz; 27-01-2014 at 12:54 PM.

I cannot stop playing Metal Gear Rising. I usually hate this type of game and find it boring after about 5 minutes, but this is ridiculously fun and it's managed to drag me away from Hearthstone!!!

Downloading zenzizenzic, looks fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZggvugkjYiM
    Beta's free.
    http://www.zenzizenzicgame.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Well I've just passed the exposition introduction of chapter 2 of The Witcher 2 and so far it's an excellent game...mired by one serious problem. Most fights seems to benefit from you knowing that they're going to happen in advance so you can prepare for them. This can be particularly gruelling when there's a save point before a cut-scene that immediately launches you into a fight. Whilst yes, you can still add temporary bonuses to your weapons, being unable to use potions is a large problem, especially on Dark difficulty. Player skill can account for so much, but in a game where preparedness is part of the point of the main character, not being able to do so is pretty aggravating.

Special mention goes to the [spoiler]Iorveth vs. Roche[/spoilers] fight near the end of chapter 1 that started and finished before I was even aware of what was happening. Many reloads later and after doing a quick search online to see if the fight was even winnable (turns out you can change sword, to one that's actually effective) I managed to win it. I have no knowledge of what impact it'll have, but in my narrative I wanted it to unfold as such. Requiring you to already be pressing the movement keys whilst the game is still loading up is quite frankly ridiculous. I'm all for difficulty, something the game hammers you with early on, but there is taking it too far.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Well I've just passed the exposition introduction of chapter 2 of The Witcher 2 and so far it's an excellent game...mired by one serious problem. Most fights seems to benefit from you knowing that they're going to happen in advance so you can prepare for them. This can be particularly gruelling when there's a save point before a cut-scene that immediately launches you into a fight. Whilst yes, you can still add temporary bonuses to your weapons, being unable to use potions is a large problem, especially on Dark difficulty. Player skill can account for so much, but in a game where preparedness is part of the point of the main character, not being able to do so is pretty aggravating.
    A good rule of thumb on the higher difficulties is to always have a health and stamina regen potion running. Ingredients are plentiful enough that this should only become an issue if you dick around for too long (and you shouldn't play on Dark for your first run).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

You want to maximise the time of the effects though...I'll reconsider it. I tried it out initially and was disappointed that in between clusters of enemies there'd be enough down-time that they felt unnecessary (and usually the smaller clusters can be dealt with fine with a combination of player skill and spell usage). You're right though, the materials are plentiful and I'm sure I can already turn myself into a walking tank with a magic cannon put on top of it. As for the difficulty, I played TW1 to completion on the hardest difficulty setting and I want a challenge. None of the issues I've had with the game so far have had to do with innate difficulty, just particular spikes of ridiculousness, such as the fight mention previously and a few instances of magically appearing enemies.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Finished The Banner Saga. Incredible game that was more than I hoped for. Can't wait for the next chapter for which I will throw money at them. I had only a single issue with the entire game: [spoilers for final boss ahead]

I had to quit the fight with Bellower three times and restart just because the person with the arrow was in a place in the fight queue where Bellower would always have armour. Because he got +6 when his turn came around, and the arrow-bearer came either immediately after or was the person after that, there was no possibility of getting his armour to zero to use the damn arrow. Also on the first attempt the game must have bugged out as I never even saw the ability to use the arrow, which didn't help. So it was annoying having to ensure that I only kicked-off Pillage mode when the arrow-bearer was far enough away from Bellower in the initiative queue.

Aside from that it was one hell of an experience.
    I had to tick the difficulty down to Easy for this fight, which is a shame as the rest of the game's battles felt just about right. I'm not alone in this, the Steam forums are awash with others stymied by the end fight. After doing it on Easy I think I could potentially repeat it on Normal with enough tries, but I might not have kitted out my guys well enough at this point in the game.

To anyone who hasn't played it yet, do not let the issues many have with the final battle turn you away from this game at all, it's quite a lovely game.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 27-01-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    You want to maximise the time of the effects though...I'll reconsider it. I tried it out initially and was disappointed that in between clusters of enemies there'd be enough down-time that they felt unnecessary (and usually the smaller clusters can be dealt with fine with a combination of player skill and spell usage). You're right though, the materials are plentiful and I'm sure I can already turn myself into a walking tank with a magic cannon put on top of it. As for the difficulty, I played TW1 to completion on the hardest difficulty setting and I want a challenge. None of the issues I've had with the game so far have had to do with innate difficulty, just particular spikes of ridiculousness, such as the fight mention previously and a few instances of magically appearing enemies.
    Fair enough. I started a replay on Dark Mode and found it to be a bit frustrating and ended up switching to the hardest non-dark mode difficulty (which might be the same difficulty but with less unique items, I forget) and enjoyed it a lot more. Because Dark Mode was mostly added as part of the EE patch and was really meant for people replaying the game.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

In a twisted sort of logic, it wasn't until about 2/3 through TW1 that I really started to get the alchemy in it and whilst there were tough streaks, I was able to charge on through. Coming into TW2, I felt a lot more comfortable with the alchemy element and other than adjusting to the mostly superior combat*, I had no qualms about instantly going to Dark mode.

*I miss group attacks! Given some of the skill descriptions though, I'll be getting them back (or unlocking them) at some point. I do like that you have quick and slow attacks from the start though and that there's a hint of a combo system. It's obviously not developed like a fuller action title, but there's enough of a combination that, when hitting a single target, you can theoretically knock them down from 100 to 0 with some skilful movement and the correct clicking.