Page 975 of 1162 FirstFirst ... 47587592596597397497597697798510251075 ... LastLast
Results 19,481 to 19,500 of 23232
    Playing a bit of:

Far cry 3: The Rakyat are using Jason, this is pretty obvious, but i don't how the character can go that deep in his fantasy... I feel like he hasn't lived enough to make him join the cult... The fact that I am not buying Citra and Dennis' crap distance me even more from what's happening.

I just met Riley, I guess I am nearing the end. I think my final jugement will be: "I see what you tried there. It just didn't work..."

FFXII international zodiac system: I've never completed FF XII but I thought it was their best try in a long time. So I wanted to play it with enhanced graphic and the Zodiac system. I am at the beginning and, i dont know why, i find Vaan less irritating this time around. The story seems pretty interesting and the places are Epic but not completely stupidly huge, useless and broing like in FFXIII.

I also Started broken Age and Banner's Saga. So far I am glad I backed those two. Both are unique and interesting.
    Last edited by Drayk; 28-01-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    For that fight:

You don't have to get his armour down to zero. You just need to get his armour rating below the arrow firer's strength rating.

Also, I think the reason you couldn't use the arrow is because you'd run out of willpower. You needed at least one point of WP to use it as it was counted as a special ability but that's been patched now.

Having said that, even with that knowledge I've played through it twice now and had to knock the difficulty down to easy both times.
    Yeah I thought...
    that the armour thing just meant it had to be low enough that I could guarentee a hit, but seeing as it was made out to be a one-shot only deal and the game often implied his armour had to be zero (I think Juno straight shouts this several times) I didn't want to take the chance. The other problem was that due to some of those asshole slinger guys the arrow-bearers strength was too low to beat the armour Bellower would regenerate each turn.

Willpower wasn't the problem: I used the Magical Horn Thing to replenish some and it still showed only their usual special ability instead of the Silver Arrow one. No idea if it had bugged from the start or hitting zero and then replenishing willpower confused the game somehow.

The whole problem I had could be solved by adding a 'Wait' action which would send the current unit to the back of the initiative queue for that turn. No idea how it would affect the balance but it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that can break it. That said it can turn out to be a remarkably important tactic - Disciples 2 had a "Wait" option in combat that worked this way, and using it intelligently often prevented units dying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Playing Defender's Quest, which I find unexpectedly appealing.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Finished act 1 of Broken Age and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not as funny as previous schafer's work but it's lovely on its own way. Art is pretty, puzzles are well done, sometimes falling on the easy side of the spectrum but never obtuse or illogical.

Also continuing on my classic ironman of Enemy Within. I abandoned the training roulette option. I ended up having mostly useless builds and in a classic game is a terrible thing to get. Might try it again later on a normal game, just to have fun with it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Neverwinter Nights 2 is also great fun in coop and could work with 5 players, although you'd need to either whack the difficulty up or not take any of the regular partymembers with you (things don't autolevel to the number of PCs).
    Are you sure about that? NWN1 usually bashed Character Level of people nearby against Challenge Rating and tried to best fit them together by spawning in the highest available mobs and then filled the rest with the next lower on the list. It certainly led to a funny amount of sudden low level deaths on my old persistent server. All it took was one high level to carelessly run through a low level area. It not only spawned stronger mobs but also multiple mobs. I also remember the campaign doing the same for party members or when the Coop mod popped up. Did they change that for NWN2?
    From what I remember it certainly did scale level wise and I'd assume as a result of that, also for multiple players.

DayZ standalone

The whole DayZ mod thing passed me by completely really as I could never get it to work with my original physical copies of Arma II and OA. However after reading the endless news about the SA version I persisted with it over the weekend and after an hour or so got it working (in a fashion). What followed was an hour of possibly the most compelling game play I've had in many years (perhaps starting out in Eve Online c2003). I died of course, but it was an amazing story, entirely unique to me.

I love my gaming with proper consequences which can only come from investing time, energy and emotion into building something knowing it can all be lost in a second around the next corner in a fashion which is often entirely unpredictable. A brief lack of attention or concentration, (usually the case in Eve), bad luck, bad skill, whatever.
    I like the growing tension, and I also like the rebuild and new story after each inevitable loss.

That all said, have bounced off virtually every 'rogue-like' I've ever tried. Something that puzzles me. I think I need the human factor. It's not so much my own loss that I'm thinking about, it's the loss that can be inflicted on others, it's being the sudden end to someone else's story that stays with me for a couple of days.

Anyway, bought the SA version instead of re-subbing three Eve accounts. Dumped some 10+ hours into DayZ in last couple of days and loving it. Easily the most significant 'thing' to happen in my gaming-life since 2003 and I'm going to enjoy the journey.
    I enjoy the lone-wolf style in DayZ and will avoid conflict if possible - bizarrely enough I like to track and observe other players and watch their stories un-fold, and assist from a distance if I feel its deserved.
    I was forced to bludgeon someone to death with a wrench two days ago, and it has really stuck with me. It was a pretty bleak and desperate ending to what was a promising partnership. And then they were gone, killed in a desperate struggle entirely against my own will.

This article sums it up well for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Thanks, that does sound pretty perfect. I especially like the possibility to chill with a racist nun.

Yeah I chose my people's on the basis of their biographies alone, rather than worrying overly about anything else. I think I'll probably auto-resolve many of the battles as I'd rather just get on with being lost in the jungle surrounded by racists and narcissist. 15th Century "I'm a Celebrity get me out of here" is basically what I want.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I'm currently on my ninth or tenth run through Wizardry 8. It's this time of the year.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    Did they change that for NWN2?
    From what I remember it certainly did scale level wise and I'd assume as a result of that, also for multiple players.
    I'm pretty sure NWN2 didn't scale. I played it with four friends and the fights were a breeze. The trial by combat was over in about two rounds with my party, whereas solo it lasted a good while.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Boosh View Post
    DayZ standalone

[snip]
    Mixed feelings about DayZ. I like exploration, emergency and player stories - DayZ is just too drawn out for my liking.

However, it occurs to me that Sub Rosa is basically the short-form equivalent of DayZ and it's free.

SpaceChem & Me: a game started twice and never finished once; I liked it, a lot; but maybe I was just burning myself out on optimization of solutions instead of progressing. So what do I do? Decided for a 'functional' style of play, only concentrate on beating the level and then move on. This must be the perfect plan to finish the game right?

Except when I go back to it, I find out that, by not playing it, I've actually become a better player in the meantime (surely the effect of all the Omega 3): I've retained the stuff I've learned about the game, and I'm coming up with better solutions to the same levels I'm replaying because I need to get back into the groove.

Before I know I'm spending hours again on optimizing the solution to one single level. Coming up with the solution to a puzzle that's actually challenging to me can be a strain, and what comes out is hardly elegant; refining the design or redesigning part s or the whole thing is what feels really pleasurable to me.

So now I can comfortably accept that I'll never finish that game. Ever.

The Cave. I played my three picks, the Knight, the Monk and the Hillbilly. I was having fun, the writing was good, the voice work top notch, the atmosphere conjured by the Cave great. All along I was wondering, it can't possibly be the same game the reviewers played: problem with the controls, where? it's funny and 100% an adventure game even though it looks like a platformer (which is totally serviceable, not a complaint about that)

Then it ended. Maybe I should've seen it coming, but it took me by surprise. And I was, oh ok, now I see why they said some of those things. The Cave is essentially a game by Double Fine, and even though you can see the hand of Ron Gilbert, it still has the same problems Double Fine games often have. Plus, I have this feeling the original concept must have been far more ambitious and was somehow squeezed into this, with a relatively limited budget, the only reason I can figure out to explain why the character models look that way - unpolished, not to mention the paintings.

I've enjoyed my time with the game, but now it's like the game's missing an important part, and early on during my second playthrough I lost interest. Kind of a shame, really.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

I'm also playing a bit of Spacechem. And man, this game makes me feel stupid.
    I hate it for being so good.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I'm also playing a bit of Spacechem. And man, this game makes me feel stupid.
    I hate it for being so good.
    Dammnit, now the two of you are making me want to get back to it (also never finished - burnt out somewhere in the second-last set of levels (which is really the last set, since I believe the last set of levels only has one level in it?) ).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have this weird issue with SpaceChem. I played it for a little while, until I got the first level that requires two reactors, with all the apparent increase in complexity that would seem to produce. So I put together a process in each reactor that seemed to work, at least for each reactor. I sat back to watch a run, figuring the timing was probably going to be all shot and I'd have to spend forever tweaking. The run was near perfect, with every component arriving just as it was needed and getting processed and sent on its way. The graph showed my solution was in the top 10 or 20% in a couple of different ways. All luck.

I decided that I would never do any better than that, and the best thing to do was to stop playing. I haven't gone back. I'm intimidated.

I've never got past Spacechem's seventh boss fight. The first time I saw it I just gave up outright, a few times after that I tried to devise a solution but couldn't see where I should even begin, and today I came up with an astonishingly inefficient design that uses an entire reactor just to accept one methane molecule and bring it to one of two pipes, and I don't see how I could do that better. I have to use the final reactor to accept one nitrogen atom and three hydrogen atoms, and return dihydrogen and nitrogen trifluoride. If the solution I'm thinking of is even possible, it's gonna take a lot of juggling atomic numbers around to make it work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    it's gonna take a lot of juggling atomic numbers around to make it work.
    My favourite moments of feeling like a genius was having a reactor output to itself, or further back in the line and having more elegant passes where, especially with detectors you simply did one thing and chucked it out for another pass until it looked right and then processed it.
    Once you are accepting molecules in 7 or 8 different states and performing quick passes to slap on a few extra parts and dont depend on specific inputs space chem opens up a great deal.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravey View Post
    However, it occurs to me that Sub Rosa is basically the short-form equivalent of DayZ and it's free.
    No relation to Black Shades I guess, but worth mentioning for similarity.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Had to stop playing Spacechem as it kept me awake for half the night trying to mentally solve whatever I had last been stuck on. I'd just be lying there playing things out in my head over and over, dreading the sleep deprivation but not being able to do anything to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    Are you sure about that? NWN1 usually bashed Character Level of people nearby against Challenge Rating and tried to best fit them together by spawning in the highest available mobs and then filled the rest with the next lower on the list. It certainly led to a funny amount of sudden low level deaths on my old persistent server. All it took was one high level to carelessly run through a low level area. It not only spawned stronger mobs but also multiple mobs. I also remember the campaign doing the same for party members or when the Coop mod popped up. Did they change that for NWN2?
    Unless I missed a game option somewhere then I think that was changed for NWN2 (or your NWN server had some clever stuff going on). I played NWN2 with two other people and we tore through almost everything. It got to the point where we would run off in separate directions to see who could kill the most. I mean, my Cleric/Stormlord was a tough bastard but if things scaled with number of players then he shouldn't have been able to single-handedly do the fight on the Keep walls near the end of the game (we had some issues getting it to work properly, the other two could not get to that area [stuck on loading screen] but weren't kicked out of the game so I did it myself and everything sync'd up later).

Since I only have 4 other friends in my friends list who have played SpaceChem for more than a handful of levels, if you're playing it or plan to play it and would like to make your leaderboards more lively too, feel free to add me on Steam.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

This is me trying to solve something in Spacechem

I actually ended up solving it more... optimally.
    This is before learning that I could bond in one move. I've actually become better at this but it shows my lack of ability with this game all the same.