Page 976 of 1136 FirstFirst ... 47687692696697497597697797898610261076 ... LastLast
Results 19,501 to 19,520 of 22715
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    My favourite moments of feeling like a genius was having a reactor output to itself, or further back in the line and having more elegant passes where, especially with detectors you simply did one thing and chucked it out for another pass until it looked right and then processed it.
    Once you are accepting molecules in 7 or 8 different states and performing quick passes to slap on a few extra parts and dont depend on specific inputs space chem opens up a great deal.
    Feeding a reactor its own output is something I've never thought of before. Usually I can fit two loops per waldo into one sensor reactor that create two molecules depending on the sensor readout; what you're describing is completely unfamiliar.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Since I only have 4 other friends in my friends list who have played SpaceChem for more than a handful of levels, if you're playing it or plan to play it and would like to make your leaderboards more lively too, feel free to add me on Steam.
    Strangely, I'm the only one on the leaderboards, I don't see you or anyone else there.

Was browsing a few of my old solutions and came across one where I had a bit of a clogged pipe problem.

You can see that I'm a short-term solution kinda guy.

On another note, has anyone here managed to solve Moustachium 608?
    Last edited by LTK; 29-01-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I've never got past Spacechem's seventh boss fight. The first time I saw it I just gave up outright, a few times after that I tried to devise a solution but couldn't see where I should even begin, and today I came up with an astonishingly inefficient design that uses an entire reactor just to accept one methane molecule and bring it to one of two pipes, and I don't see how I could do that better. I have to use the final reactor to accept one nitrogen atom and three hydrogen atoms, and return dihydrogen and nitrogen trifluoride. If the solution I'm thinking of is even possible, it's gonna take a lot of juggling atomic numbers around to make it work.
    Is that the one on the first space station? Because that is the one I got stuck at as well about half a year ago. I'm currently playing FEZ but I have this itch to bash my head against an unsolvable problem so it could be SpaceChem time again soon. Do let us know if your solution works!

edit: Could you tell me which level is that? I want to check my solution this evening?
    Last edited by mrki; 30-01-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    Is that the one on the first space station? Because that is the one I got stuck at as well about half a year ago. I'm currently playing FEZ but I have this itch to bash my head against an unsolvable problem so it could be SpaceChem time again soon. Do let us know if your solution works!

edit: Could you tell me which level is that? I want to check my solution this evening?
    Atropos Station, Don't Fear the Reaper. What I was thinking of is impossible but I think if I make another design and micromanage the hell out of it, it'll work.

Network Hub
    Atropos Station, Don't Fear the Reaper. What I was thinking of is impossible but I think if I make another design and micromanage the hell out of it, it'll work.
    Yeah, that's the one. The 3 reactor limit is killing me.

Although I did manage a more symbol efficient (though slower) solution to the level you've got in the screenshot.

Screenshot

It's decided now, as soon as I finish FEZ, I am finishing SpaceChem before playing anything else, no matter how long it takes (famous last words :) ).

Yeah, that's the one. The 3 reactor limit is killing me.
    And in reality, 2 reactors is all you can work with, because you need two pipes that output unprocessed methane, and since you can't rearrange pipes mid-production you have to have one reactor that has the sole function of transporting half a dozen molecules of methane. There's no way around it, that I can tell.

My next plan is to use control nodes to alternate the production of HF and NH3 in a 3:1 ratio, which has to be turned into NF3 and H2 in a 1:1 ratio... meaning I'll have three times more hydrogen than I can use, and I can't fuse it into anything useful. Let's hope the pipe is long enough.

It's decided now, as soon as I finish FEZ
    That is one elusive concept, I didn't quite finish FEZ, I just kept playing past 100% until I ran out of steam and quietly moved on.

BTW, Rock Paper SpaceChem ?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

That is one elusive concept, I didn't quite finish FEZ, I just kept playing past 100% until I ran out of steam and quietly moved on.

BTW, Rock Paper SpaceChem ?
    Radon Platinum SpaceChem!

One last thing:

OH MY GOD THIS THING WORKS I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.

Man, I missed that Spacechem feeling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Finished my first game of XCOM: Enemy Within. Mildly anticlimactic, but overall a good time. I'll definitely have to try it on classic one of these days. Not sure what to play now, XCOM had the merit of being bite-size, slow paced, and just engrossing enough to be a good distraction without becoming an addiction. That balance worked out well for fitting it in amidst a ridiculously busy year, I wonder what else I've got that would fit that bill?

Go ahead, I'll join.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The draguir standard bearer boss fight in The Witcher 2 is some pure A grade bullshit. Given that the only advantage you'd get going into it is if you happened to have specced into the swordsmanship tree (signs here) my only advantage is I can parry a bit more...which is just fantastic against a monster that can charge you and knock you down, whilst its three guards can wail on you too. Whoever designed it needs to have a character designed after them in TW3 whose corpse you must set fire to to release a curse placed on Geralt. It makes sense and you know it.

The rest of the game has been pretty great since last mention. (Oh and of course, before going into this fight I used my now-non-existent potions.)
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Go ahead, I'll join.
    And my Axe!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    The draguir standard bearer boss fight in The Witcher 2 is some pure A grade bullshit. Given that the only advantage you'd get going into it is if you happened to have specced into the swordsmanship tree (signs here) my only advantage is I can parry a bit more...which is just fantastic against a monster that can charge you and knock you down, whilst its three guards can wail on you too. Whoever designed it needs to have a character designed after them in TW3 whose corpse you must set fire to to release a curse placed on Geralt. It makes sense and you know it.

The rest of the game has been pretty great since last mention. (Oh and of course, before going into this fight I used my now-non-existent potions.)
    Potions are good, but are you using bombs too? Bombs are outright OP. Make a ton before a tough fight and just hammer the throw button. I'd only not recommend it because it's so stupid and easy that it's kind of bad.

Well I got past that fight through half part luck and half part running around in a circle taking a hit every so often. Still a stupid fight. I get the impression though there's another draugir fight then where you do play as Geralt proper? Good, I'm fine with those fights or any other fights, it just seems like the game has really weird difficulty spikes for a single fight and then back to standard.

And bombs? Pffft, I mock your bombs. Now, area-of-effect Igni that is essentially spammable? THAT'S stupid and easy!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, the game has its share of weird difficulty spikes and no mistake. I still enjoyed it greatly, but... yeah. Igni at least starts out kind of terrible though, so it's like getting a secret thing when you put enough points into it and it's suddenly pretty good.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    Playing a bit of:

Far cry 3: The Rakyat are using Jason, this is pretty obvious, but i don't how the character can go that deep in his fantasy... I feel like he hasn't lived enough to make him join the cult... The fact that I am not buying Citra and Dennis' crap distance me even more from what's happening.

I just met Riley, I guess I am nearing the end. I think my final jugement will be: "I see what you tried there. It just didn't work..."
    g.
    I still maintain its all a dream. Jason's dream. Its like this:

Here's Jason, a not-very-likeable rich shit who, deep down, knows this is what he is. So he and his trust-fund-baby buddies/family members go away on vacation. To have "adventures" like sky diving, surfing, hiking and rock climbing. Nice, relatively safe adventures, with their instructor lead courses and safety cables and backup chutes.

And deep down...Jason knows this isn't really adventure. He craves something more. Something dangerous. He wants to be recognized. To be a hero. To do something really brave and worthwhile.

So one night he falls asleep. And he has this dream. If you really dig in - SPOILERS FOLLOW - you will notice some clues to its being all a dream, too, such as:

-Isn't it convenient that Grant dies? He's army trained, the best qualified to rescue the group. And he's eliminated right away. After stopping out in the open to examine a map. No way he makes that mistake. Not in his own dream, anyway.

-The pirates all wear nifty pirate-themed/branded clothing or colors. All of it handily red. So they don't blend in. No camoflauge, nothing. Meanwhile, allies all conveniently wear blue. These are the common bad/good guy colors in almost every online game ever made.

-The crashed plane "mission." The plane crashed 10 years ago. And the woman who says she saw it flyin overhead, Alduin style? There is no woman living there, according to the guy in the wrecked plane. And he says it, as if that's been true a long time now.

-The situation as a whole. These people have their own villages. They have all the weapons. Weapons they sell - not give, but sell, video game style - to Jason. They tell them they need his help, then SELL him the tools to help them? Riiiiiight.

-The tattoos. This one doesn't even really need explaining.

I truly believe its all the misguided dream of a not very likable, spoiled rich kid who spent a lot of time playing paintball and online games, who has too much free time and a deep, subconscious craving for adventure and to be something more, someone relevant. To be respected and needed.

All of which makes the plot line far more tolerable to me personally. Which is maybe why I am enjoying the game.

Well, that, and the easier start mod. All skills unlocked and awarded. All crafting done and crafted items owned. All weapons available for purchase. Playing it this way feels more like an open world Rambo game to be honest. You can adapt on the fly to situations, choosing the strategy that best fits the moment, as opposed to the one whose skills you have managed to unlock.

If ever there was a game where the fun was actually hampered by MMO style crafting and Skyrim-style skill unlocks - besides Skyrim itself, of course - its Far Cry 3.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    In starting up The Witcher 2: The Witcherer I'm reminded that I easily get frustrated by not having sequels, that not only follow directly on from the original but use a save file to continue on from that ending, to recognise you actually know how to play the game in a contextual way. That I have to level up basic skills is absolutely ridiculous when you acknowledge that you've already spent some 50 or however many hours with Geralt and post amnesia knows how to handle a damn sword and parry. Granted there's plenty of mechanical reasons, but it's just irksome.

Or perhaps I say this all as someone who started the combat and got their head handed to them on a plate over and over. I think I've just about got it now. I like the majority of changes that I've seen thus far, especially some of the spells being changed from "Actually shit" to "Properly useful", which on the second hardest difficulty is rather welcome (not so hot on permadeath and a continuous save slot in a game like this, although it being there is obviously good). Other than the technical aspects of the gameplay being changed, I think the first thing I noticed on starting the game is just had god damn gorgeous it is to look at, and I'm not even running it on the highest it can be (so SephKing needn't be afraid that his throne is being challenged).

It's fun though so far and pretty hilarious going from the trying-too-hard clichéd material of Dust to this where the voice-over is done well with dialogue that is appropriate and engaging. That the plot is curious too helps, although like TW1, I'm struggling to remember all the names of people and places mentioned, rolled off as they are as if you're actually in that universe and know what all these things are. Still, early days, but I'm optimistic for the rest.

As a quick aside, a note about Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS, which I've had since mid-December but been delaying in finishing because I didn't want to as I was having so much fun with it. Anyhow, I finished it last night and can safely say it's the best game I've played in a few years. It may not be the most challenging, or the most good-looking, but as a product designed to entertain, it did that and then some. Absolutely wonderful game that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone who had a 3DS/XL/2DS (and I'd say was even a system seller in its own right).
    This leads me to wonder how in the world they will manage skill unlocks/upgrades in TW3. In the firs game, it was recovering the memories. Finding and recalling the signs and how to use them. In TW2, they loosely excused this crap by having you increase the power of signs already available.

But the third game? Well...here's to hoping they just do away with skills and upgrades, and let me play an open world action game with a story, choices and consequences. After having those things removed from Far Cry 3 and having the freedom thereby to simply adapt to situations without worrying over which skills I have unlocked, I have to say, I am not eager to more XP/Perk/Level up systems in games.

Network Hub

Man, I missed that Spacechem feeling.
    Now you guys got me drawn back in. Like I needed another time sink :)

I didn't get all that far last time around - let's see where I strand this time, eh?

What else am I playing? Dark souls, finally. Bought it in the Xmas sale, and I'm having a blast. Mostly. My kids also have a blast, suggesting novel ways for my char to die. As if I needed any help with that. This weekend, the Gaping Dragon dies!

The entire Eternal Battle sequence can go [very censored], who on earth thought that that was well balanced? What a [extremely censored]. Hilariously, the boss took 4 attempts. The first three because it auto-saved me as he was swinging down on me and followed it up with a kill, the fourth attempt being as such:

*Yrden*, Heavy Slash x 3, *Yrden*, Heavy Slash x 4. Win fight. That's some mighty fine witcherin'.