Page 988 of 1163 FirstFirst ... 48888893897898698798898999099810381088 ... LastLast
Results 19,741 to 19,760 of 23247
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Taurus demon.

When you enter that path from where he attacks you,behind is ladder which you can climb up and shoot madafaka with some arrows,then go down and smash that bitch.
    Yeah, I tried that but my aiming was so slow that he just jumped up to where I was and smashed me. The jump attack takes off a good portion of his HP bar and using an axe has increased that amount even furter. I wonder if it is possible to use the Demon's Great Hammer that I got from the Asylum Demon for this one drop down attack, even though I don't have the required Str for it. Other than that, I guess I'll just have to learn his attack pattern. I usually get stuck somewhere below or beside him when I try to dodge past.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    It took me a while to figure him out, maybe about an hour of actual attempts on him + whatever it took to run back to him.

Without giving it away, there's something it sounds like you're doing that you shouldn't be.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Cheers for the input everyone. :) I'll give him another go tonight. Other than the TD, I ran into some mean looking dude shortly before you go up to the tower where you find the boss. He basically looked like a heavily armored knight of some sort (with sword and shield which he used to lower my stamina) and kicked my ass until I decided to avoid him for now. Any idea how to deal with that guy?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Yeah, I tried that but my aiming was so slow that he just jumped up to where I was and smashed me. The jump attack takes off a good portion of his HP bar and using an axe has increased that amount even furter. I wonder if it is possible to use the Demon's Great Hammer that I got from the Asylum Demon for this one drop down attack, even though I don't have the required Str for it. Other than that, I guess I'll just have to learn his attack pattern. I usually get stuck somewhere below or beside him when I try to dodge past.

You actually killed the Asylum Demon with the broken straight sword? Nice :p

And there are three key tactics against Taurus. Most people suggest using drop attacks, but it might actually be better to just fight him straight up on that narrow pathway. There is a very powerful foe in the Undead Burg (?) leading up to Taurus demon (hint: Hug the right wall) that will teach you a lot of the tricks you might need.

Also, just to make sure, you do know you can click the right thumbstick to lock-on to a foe, right?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Oh, I am way too crappy at the game to beat the Asylum Demon with that toothpick. From a previous attempt to get into the game some months ago I knew that you could actually select those fire bombs as starting equipment which made the fight manageable (I did some dodge training with the AD though, painful lessons). I know about locking-on though.

The enemy you are referring to is - as far as my guessing goes - the dude I described above. Some sort of nasty knight with board and sword. Possibly, I'll go back and chat him up on the next occasion.

Edit: I just realised that your comment regarding locking-on might have referred to archery. I actually hadn't thought of that until now... doh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Air Rogue is awesome! I can't seem to find the 'quit' button though, maybe that's by design.

Brutal Doom is ..BRUTAL! haaa :3 Way better then DOOM3 :=)
    :)
    should've posted about it sooner

Network Hub
    Taurus Demon
    Even though there are a bunch of great tips already i felt like adding some of my own, since the taurus demon was one of those enemies that taught me one very, very important lesson: Chances are that your armor does very little against his attacks at this point since you didn't really have a chance to pick something up that is all that much better than your starting equipment and on top of that... your endurance probably still is quite low, so any armor you're trying to use might slow you down to a point where he can actually hit you more easily.

Check your equip load on the status page - This is one of those fights where having your equip load below 25% of your max can be a lifesaver, since that enables you to roll further, recover from rolls incredibly fast and recharge your stamina faster (not 100% sure on that last part) - After initially having trouble with him i tried fighting him naked, and surprisingly enough that actually made it a LOT easier.

Ah and when it comes to poorly aimed firebombs: I hope you know that locking on to enemies works for those as well and you meant it distance-wise?

And i can second an earlier statement: You can get by without parry just fine if you're not comfortable with it - It's usually not worth the risk, especially since almost every enemy requires completely different timing - On my playthrough it didn't feel like something that suddenly 'clicked' at some point and there were very few enemies that i could reliable parry. (But YMMV, maybe i'm just bad at this type of game)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    So I've been hankering for an FPS to play, but haven't really fallen on anything in particular. I then remembered that there was a wave based survival mode in Serious Sam 3 called, unsurprisingly, Survival.

Holy crap.

Holy crap!

It's a game mode based entirely on Serious Sam's shooting. It's the best part of Serious Sam 3 distilled. Why the hell did I never play this when I originally played the game? It's awesome. I mean, it's silly hard, but it's awesome.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    snip
    Hey, many thanks for the additional hints. I really didn't try locking-on with fire bombs and just chucked them around in what must have been sheer panic. :) Btw, I managed to beat the Taurus Demons just now! Only to die to the next big enemy waiting a bit further down the road, I am sure you can guess what I am talking about. But hey, the beast has been felled and the way should be clear, even if I have to backtrack yet another time. The key to the whole matter was that previously I didn't really try to block a whole lot (or just had a bad shield) and for some reason just assumed that there was no way to deflect the demon's blows. Well, I guess you learn something new every day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fallingcow View Post
    :)
    should've posted about it sooner

How do you do those kicks or fatalities ? I only know how to roll aaa :x

Network Hub
    Only to die to the next big enemy waiting a bit further down the road
    Welcome to Dark Souls hehe If it's basically right after the Taurus Demon and significantly bigger... then luckily you don't even have to fight it :) Well and that was the point in the game were i started to really like their overall world design: If you got killed by that damn dragon: stick to the right and run down the stairs, where you're safe from its flames - If you then go down the stairs on the opposite side of that room you can kick down a ladder that opens a shortcut to the first bonfire in undead burg - Most areas are somehow interconnected and you're always making some progress that way - It's brilliant.

Well and to add something on-topic... I've re-installed The Witcher 2 yesterday, which involved some rather lengthy re-downloading since it's apparently one of those games that does not like steam's back up function. After tinkering with the arena for a bit to figure out whether i want to play it with kb&m or controller i came to the conclusion that both methods... kind of suck? There's something about both that kind of irks me - I might be biased by the fact that i just played Dark Souls extensively, but it feels like they tried to emulate its combat and simply failed. But alas, i'll get used to it eventually.

You may want to give this a try. It's by CDPR themselves and fixes a shitload of problems, including Geralt's control.

Edit: Speaking of Dark Souls, any word on GFWL's removal?
    Last edited by wrestledwithgod; 13-02-2014 at 08:12 PM.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/17/ga...support-of-ga/

"Exploring options, but no set plans yet."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    In my Dark Souls (PS3) run:

That was the most anti-climactic Four Kings ever. Holy hell is Dark Bead insanely powerful. In fact, I think my casting Crystal Homing Soul Mass before I charged the kings actually prolonged the fight, because I did the rough mental math and it would have taken me two Dark Beads for each King, but the game records the overflow damage so I would have probalby only had three of the kings instead of three and a tiny sliver of the fourth.

THe worst part was that I was already half dead and had most of my spells used up going through New Londo, so I decided to just waste a life re-learning their patterns (could either pick up or ignore remains). Ended up beating them...
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestledwithgod View Post
    You may want to give this a try. It's by CDPR themselves and fixes a shitload of problems, including Geralt's control.
    Already have it installed and while it certainly makes things more fluid and responsive it also does a few things that i don't necessarily like. I'm not really a huge fan of things like having a somewhat unpredictable chance to automatically block or parry for example, since it's something that feels like it's outside of my control - But it might be fine once i got used to it.

And sadly it doesn't fix the main problem i seem to have right now: If i play with a controller it feels like i'm constantly fighting the camera while movement and overall responsiveness in combat is excellent - If i try it with kb&m it's the exact opposite since camera control is mostly excellent, but movement feels floaty and imprecise. As far as i know it's possible to "actually" lock on to targets in the Xbox version to keep the camera focussed on your target (dark souls-ish), which apparently isn't an option on PC for some reason (unless i'm an idiot and simply haven't figured out how) - That option alone would completely remove all my controller-woes right now.

But as mentioned above: I'll probably get used to it or figure out some different button configuration that works for me - I've finished it once without problems shortly after release and didn't have that many problems with the controls back then, so it's mostly just the stark contrast between it and its apparent influence when it comes to combat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Playing some Defender's Quest in between configuring things on my new work-laptop. I'm getting to a point where even the hardest challenges are quite easy, so it might be time to look at the New Game+ option.

Speaking of the laptop: I had read the stories, heard the tales, but I hadn't expected Windows 8 to be this annoying. I might be playing a lot more Defender's Quest when I redo the whole configuration with a new copy of Windows 7.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Until you play New game+ you are still in defender quests tutorial.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

How do you do those kicks or fatalities ? I only know how to roll aaa :x
    punch is punch (also make sure to bind an alt fire). For a flying kick you puch, jump and kick (check the options 'cause i rebinded most attacks).To perform a fatality you need the berserk pack, then you combo everything to gib stuff
    Last edited by Wenz; 14-02-2014 at 09:08 AM.

I made some progress with Dark Souls. ^____^ After failing... numerous times to cross the bloody bridge of bloody death, I decided to try the indirect route and explored the lower levels of the structure. I found out that a) nasties can wait around every (literal) corner, b) poisonous rats are unhealthy, and c) I CAN SHOOT THAT BLOODY DRAGON'S TAIL - THANK YOU UNKNOWN PERSON FOR LEAVING THAT MESSAGE. Ahem. The dragon is still an utter bastard but at least I've made it past him now.

I guess the most lethal foe in this game is the dreaded demon of Games for Windows Live, which by means of his infernal powers was able to disconnect me from the game just as I was duelling some knight dudes (one dropped some fancy pants tough, which is nice). Ahhhh... Funnily, I am not even that mad about this incident (assuming that I can continue my game later), I guess Dark Souls is a great teacher when it comes to anger management and inner tranquility.