Page 989 of 1257 FirstFirst ... 48988993997998798898999099199910391089 ... LastLast
Results 19,761 to 19,780 of 25139
    I beat Deadly Premonition, and it's not the worst game I've ever played, but it may be the clunkiest one I've finished. With a 22h clear time (and 30h logged by Steam - it needed a lot of messing around with), I have zero interest in doing the completionist odds and ends and wish I'd skipped almost all the optional stuff. For all the charming character work, good voiceovers, moody music, and strange story, DP really just plays like complete shit. It's also ugly, crash prone, has lots of awful QTEs, and is full of inexplicable quality issues. It's a shame they built their own engine for this and wasted so much effort on the open world bits and terrible combat when a vastly simpler format like a JRPG or point & click adventure could have been a much more playable and enjoyable way to experience the content.

This thread seems to be the definitive list of tweaks and fixes for DP's pc port: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706035

I used the DPfix mod, had to disable 5.1 surround sound, did the LBA tweak to get 2+ hours playtime between crashes (it leaks memory), and sometimes had to reboot my box to get it to perform well. I made save file backups regularly due to the number of issues and crashes I had, but never ended up needing them.

Not recommended, but maybe there's a Let's Play of DP that's worth watching (preferably with heavy editing). The atmosphere and performances are rather enjoyable, but the story overall is weak in exactly the same way that Twin Peaks was.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    It's a shame they built their own engine for this and wasted so much effort on the open world bits and terrible combat when a vastly simpler format like a JRPG or point & click adventure could have been a much more playable and enjoyable way to experience the content.
    Ugh. Just thinking of how godawful DP would have been as a JRPG or (shudder) a point'n'clicker causes me mental distress. :(

I won't quibble over how bad/crash-prone/half-assed the PC port is, though, given everything I've read about it - I'd be playing it right now if it weren't for that. A shame. I'd dearly love to go through the whole thing over again but I'm not sure I've got the patience for a raft of technical issues. And DPfix just instantly crashes the game every time on my system.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    And with Nito dead, I have completed most of my NG of Dark Souls short of The Kiln. So that means it is mopping up time.

So working on farming the ravens in Ariamis until I have enough souvenirs to get the Darkmoon miracles. Once I have that, I'll slaughter Gwyndolin for the achievement and then it is off to go get enough Titanite Chunks to max out all my gear. After that, it is just NG+ and the first few fights of NG++ to go.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Every so often, I like to step back into the world of Super Meat Boy and have a look through the custom levels, and whilst many will pass me by without dis/interest, there are always a few stand-outs, be it particularly bad or particularly good and there are two things that separate them, level pacing and direction. So many people make levels that are just parts stitched together that have no flow or rhythm to them and it's really dissatisfying trying to stand there and work out when and where you should be going. In the main game, moments of thought are usually provided to you in transit, such as coasting on a fan or during a long jump. It gives you time to catch your breathe, but when you have levels that have tightly woven platforming sections that need to be pixel perfect, only for you to come upon a sudden death because there's something not in timing with the movement of the level, it's really disappointing that it just doesn't match up. And I'm sure it's hard to get right, but I get the impression people go "Well, this'll do. Release." and you only need to beat your level the once for it to be allowed to go up.

The second issue, direction, is perhaps more of a struggle. Whilst pacing can be a pain, you can usually get around it if the level is easy enough or you're given enough space to re-position in time to the next jump. There's just too many levels though where people have made them too zoomed in or so spread out that, or with leaps of faith and so on that it's just really stupid. Leaps of faith have never been good design because it's telling you "Here, whilst we've presented everything to you so far so that you can make a calculated movement, here's something you have zero basis to judge". It's worse on the custom levels when you're playing a random chapter (for those who don't know, you can have the game stitch together 20 levels from random people so long as they're the same difficulty setting and play through them like a regular game chapter) because you have no prior basis as to what that level's designer is thinking. Having a hidden saw at the end of a jump that started so far to the left that you'd never see it is stupid. It's completely artificial difficulty.

There was another level too which I'm kicking myself for not getting a picture of. It was a really intricately woven design of machinery, cogs, pipes and saws moving really quickly. The problem? They're all grey, so the screen is so busy it's hard to distinguish what is safe and what isn't. It took me several restarts before even noticing how safe the first jump actually was compared to how I initially saw it. It's over-design to the fullest. None of the stock levels rely on this without making it painstakingly obvious. If you want to make a pretty level, make your level then take a screenshot. If you want it to be playable, actually think like a new player. It's that empathy that's the problem; of course a designer can make it through their level, they know where all the tricks are as well as the golden path. I'm not that level's designer, I'm not going to know. Grrr!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Dark Souls (PS3): Finished NG, and I have every achievement except for the second ending, joining dakrwraiths, and all miracles (need to turn in final boss's soul). Making good progress and what not

Battlefield 4: Still fun, and I have to say that most of the Second Assault assignments are reasonable and fun, rather than China Rising's focus on "Get a Defib, Grenade, knife, and super machine gun kill in one round" which were just tedious.

Titanfall: Got into the PC beta and went through the incredibly tedious tutorial. I really love the movement (yay for wallrunning), but I don't think this is for me. Pistol is auto-aim out the whazoo and the titular titans just seem like a tedious killstreak bonus. Completely pointless in a free for all environment (won't last a second) and just another thing to let the competent team steamroll the less-so team in a team match.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Dark Souls. And I see myself sticking with it this time. Also noticing things I hadn't before.

I just gave Skyrim another go. And it annoyed me to no end. Not because it was tedious. But because it wasn't. Here we have this game trying to immerse me in a believable world...and failing. Miserably. I'm flying through samey dungeons, literally sprinting from one enemy to the next and mostly ignoring traps. The which are little more than a nuisance for the most part anyway - I wonder why they even exist. Doubly, since there exists a perk which lets you ignore fully half of them.

And I found myself...annoyed. Why does violence and the choice - the actual and very real choice - to engage in it...why is this of no consequence, in this so-called Role Playing Game? Why isn't it deadly, or at least dangerous, in some way? Why am I not constantly seeking methods to avoid violence for fear of the repercussions of failure or harm? In this immersive world?

So...I wrestled with GFWL. I scoured the Nexus for the must have texture mods. And DSFix. What a godsend of a mod.

And here I am again. Undead Burg, the first area. I'm walking - not sprinting, not even running - but walking round every corner. Slowly. At the base of a staircase I actually stop and check for bloodstains. I look up, around...everywhere, for any sign of a possible trap or ambush. I walk through doors slowly, backstepping out of them almost as soon as I cross the threshold, weary of hidden enemies lurking behind doors. Knowing it may only take one hit to end it for me, and even if it doesn't end I'm that much closer to death.

Its tense, even tedious at times. Its actually borderline stressful. And its glorious. Absolutely glorious. To remember what games were like when they were dangerous. When you really could fail and lose something. I've gone from sprinting through dungeons, full speed ahead and damn the poison darts, to celebrating the first time I was able to break a block using a well placed kick...and its wonderful. And sorrowful. And stressful. And wonderful.

I know its going to smash me. Break me against the rocks of its dark, harsh world. I know I am going to lose my souls, and my humanity. I know its going to all but actually punish me for playing. And yet I want to go back for more.

I hated this game for the longest time. But this time something...clicked for me. Whatever needed to happen, really did. And though I know it will virtually punish me for playing, I am eager to go back for more. Struggling to put it down and go to bed. Whatever message the DS fans have been peddling for so long - and I don't know what it is, the message, or even the words that comprise it - but whatever it is, I think, just maybe, I've finally gotten it. Its a little like waking up from a dream, and finding out your actual life really is better, if that makes sense.

What does that say about me as a gamer?
    Last edited by Blackcompany; 16-02-2014 at 05:11 AM.

Welcome to Dark Souls.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    That you're ahead of the curve.

Network Hub
    Man, all these Dark Souls reports are making me want to play it again. I beat it without a game pad. Did anyone else stick with keyboard and mouse?

Just finished both of the Trine games. Probably the most beautifully animated video games I've ever played. Liked Trine 2 so much I bought the expansion, which is something I never do.

Network Hub
    Also, did anyone get a Quake vibe from the Undead Burg? One of my favorite areas in a video game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    That you're ahead of the curve.
    That your tastes are in constant flux and that as a result, you're enjoying something more keenly now than you had in previous experience.

Engage in self-congratulation at your own peril, and know that when you gaze long into the hipster, the hipster gazes into you.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    That your tastes are in constant flux and that as a result, you're enjoying something more keenly now than you had in previous experience.

Engage in self-congratulation at your own peril, and know that when you gaze long into the hipster, the hipster gazes into you.
    Well said. Well said indeed.

And you nailed it, too, with the bit about tastes. Mine do fluctuate - often wildly - between different games or genres. Just the other day I was in love with the idea of more Skyrim. Now, that world isn't nearly harsh enough or deadly enough to interest me at all. And the same goes for FC 3. Once you get to a certain point - namely, the entire first island taken over - the challenge pretty well ceases. Still fun, though.

Anyway, back to Undead Parish. Taurus is slain, and so is that big, dark boar that comes after him. I've the Drake Sword in hand, and am off to slay more Undead.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    spent sixty bucks on ME3 and dlc. So far so good. multiplayer is sortof fun but it will get boring fairly quickly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maknol View Post
    No need to do that. Just google Classic Shell, install it and check the option to skip the metro screen and boot directly to desktop. Voilá, you have the good old Windows 7 interface and Start Menu back without giving up the performance improvements of Windows 8.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it. Updating to 8.1 already allows me to go straight to desktop (who ever thought that would be a bonus feature...), but the more full-screen nonsense I can avoid the better.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by gganate View Post
    Man, all these Dark Souls reports are making me want to play it again. I beat it without a game pad. Did anyone else stick with keyboard and mouse?
    I tried that initially, back when i bought the game sometimes last year (summer sale i think) but gave up on that approach somewhere around the gargoyles. not because it was impossible, but because it simply didn't feel right - it's certainly 'playable' with the mousefix, but now that i actually got around to play it with a decent controller i can say that playing it with kb&m is a bit like listening to a great recording on a stereo with one broken speaker - It doesn't change the fact that you're listening to a great recording, but it certainly takes away from it. Dark Souls just plays beautifully with a controller.

Anyway, back to Undead Parish. Taurus is slain, and so is that big, dark boar that comes after him. I've the Drake Sword in hand, and am off to slay more Undead.
    Even though the whole hate for the drake sword in the dark souls community is a bit over-the-top i do have to point out that the fact that you're using it is like a direct contradiction to your initial post (which made me smile - the initial post, that is). There's nothing wrong with using it in general, but i'd go as far as to say that it actually removes quite a bit of the feeling that you initially praised, since it cranks the difficulty down to skyrim-levels to some extend. It's a bit like a konami-code - and i ended up regretting that i picked it up back when i played the early parts of the game on my kb&m attempt.

In the long run it's a terrible weapon since it'll eventually become useless (no scaling, easily outclassed by basically every somewhat upgraded weapon), but untill then it kind of puts your overall character progress on hold. The drake sword is one of the most evil traps that one can step into in dark souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    I tried that initially, back when i bought the game sometimes last year (summer sale i think) but gave up on that approach somewhere around the gargoyles. not because it was impossible, but because it simply didn't feel right - it's certainly 'playable' with the mousefix, but now that i actually got around to play it with a decent controller i can say that playing it with kb&m is a bit like listening to a great recording on a stereo with one broken speaker - It doesn't change the fact that you're listening to a great recording, but it certainly takes away from it. Dark Souls just plays beautifully with a controller.

Even though the whole hate for the drake sword in the dark souls community is a bit over-the-top i do have to point out that the fact that you're using it is like a direct contradiction to your initial post (which made me smile - the initial post, that is). There's nothing wrong with using it in general, but i'd go as far as to say that it actually removes quite a bit of the feeling that you initially praised, since it cranks the difficulty down to skyrim-levels to some extend. It's a bit like a konami-code - and i ended up regretting that i picked it up back when i played the early parts of the game on my kb&m attempt.

In the long run it's a terrible weapon since it'll eventually become useless (no scaling, easily outclassed by basically every somewhat upgraded weapon), but untill then it kind of puts your overall character progress on hold. The drake sword is one of the most evil traps that one can step into in dark souls.
    The Drake sword is a great early game weapon and something most of my characters (who have the strength) use. The main issue is just that, as you said, it acts as a crutch. But even moreso, it puts players in the mind of "I will just keep finding better weapons" rather than "I should dick around and figure out what weapon I want to use"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    spent sixty bucks on ME3 and dlc. So far so good. multiplayer is sortof fun but it will get boring fairly quickly.
    I'd dare say ME3's multiplayer is its most consistent and enjoyable aspect.