Page 990 of 1157 FirstFirst ... 490890940980988989990991992100010401090 ... LastLast
Results 19,781 to 19,800 of 23140
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    spent sixty bucks on ME3 and dlc. So far so good. multiplayer is sortof fun but it will get boring fairly quickly.
    I'd dare say ME3's multiplayer is its most consistent and enjoyable aspect.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    That your tastes are in constant flux and that as a result, you're enjoying something more keenly now than you had in previous experience.

Engage in self-congratulation at your own peril, and know that when you gaze long into the hipster, the hipster gazes into you.
    Goose doesn't like Dark Souls. We think it's a brain tumor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Goose doesn't like Dark Souls. We think it's a brain tumor.
    I can't stand repetition. There was one time in uh, Prince of Persia 2 thrones, where you do a chariot chase and then there's a really obnoxious boss fight, and before the fight there's like a minute long (maybe?) cutscene where they smug-march around you and shove you around some and every time you fail you need to sit through it. Again and again. By the time I won, I was in a state of near incandescence.

That described every moment I ever spent with Dark Souls, except that it was a bit more stressful. Don't worry, I'm not trying to take your fun away, or imply you're bad people! But I would rather have to commute than play dark souls again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Console land:

Continuing my Dark Souls NG+ run. Fun fact: I went down to Blighttown to enhance my pyromancy flame a bit in preparation for Sif and Four Kings, killed Quelaag, and actually forgot to ring the bell :p. So at some point I will have to go back down.

That being said: Killed Sif (and Capra, because I forgot to +6 all the materials I need for boss soul weapons...). Not a particularly hard fight as Sif is pretty easy to avoid, so no matter how much damage she does she isn't going to be landing any of those hits to begin with.

Next up is New Londo, Four Kings, and meeting Kaathe for an achievement. Then I go, ring the bell I forgot, and murder my way to Anor Londo.

[edit]Finished Four Kings on NG+. Took me two tries since I accidentally double-tapped R1 on my first run and did another Greater Combustion when I should have blocked. Otherwise, power within + high int + heavily reinforced pyromancer's flame + dark bead + homing crystal soulmass + greater combustion = Very dead Four Kings

With Power Within they were down to each king having enough health to take a soul mass, a dark bead, and a bit more (so another dark bead for the overkill damage), so I just needed to do a bit of greater combustion at the end when I ran low.[/edit]

And picked up The Last of Us for cheap-ish from Amazon. Holy crap is that a shitty digital download scheme. 148-ish MB download to install the installer. Mandatory patch for the thing I just downloaded followed by having to download the rest of the 27 GB of game happy times. But, because of the structure, I can't background download it or let magic PS+ install it over night. So I have to leave the console on during the day and wait until it is done installing. Ugh.

PC Land:
    Giving Company of Heroes 2 another chance. I really want to like this, as I loved the original, but it is just not clicking for me. Not sure why.
    Last edited by gundato; 17-02-2014 at 02:45 AM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I'd dare say ME3's multiplayer is its most consistent and enjoyable aspect.
    i only played liked three matches. won only one. but they were all the same. survive eleven waves. kill certain targets, stay in certain places for certain amount of time.
    i don't see myself playing it for long time.

but i don't play MP at all really. used to play Red Orchestra 1 and HL: Source on regular basis 6 years ago but even then only few hours per week.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post

And picked up The Last of Us for cheap-ish from Amazon. Holy crap is that a shitty digital download scheme. 148-ish MB download to install the installer. Mandatory patch for the thing I just downloaded followed by having to download the rest of the 27 GB of game happy times. But, because of the structure, I can't background download it or let magic PS+ install it over night. So I have to leave the console on during the day and wait until it is done installing. Ugh.
    So it's like Steam but with another little installer that's separated from the rest of the data.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    I can't stand repetition. There was one time in uh, Prince of Persia 2 thrones, where you do a chariot chase and then there's a really obnoxious boss fight, and before the fight there's like a minute long (maybe?) cutscene where they smug-march around you and shove you around some and every time you fail you need to sit through it. Again and again. By the time I won, I was in a state of near incandescence.

That described every moment I ever spent with Dark Souls, except that it was a bit more stressful. Don't worry, I'm not trying to take your fun away, or imply you're bad people! But I would rather have to commute than play dark souls again.
    I can actually understand this statement quite well. Sums up my feelings on Dark Souls - until this past weekend. For whatever reason, I wanted the struggle; I wanted to have to work a lot, and suffer a little, to progress in a game. Probably the result, as I said before, of far too much Skyrim and FC 3 of late.

So now I have slain Taurus Demon and the Boar. And I am getting pretty darned good at parrying Black Knights. Took down two of them, and three or four of the lesser soldiers with the silverish armor (the ones that respawn). I've gotten the Black Knight sword - powerful but slow - and have finally found the Blacksmith. But that dude in the room underneath him...he can wait a while - I hope. Wow.

Anyway, having a blast with it. I really wish more RPG(ish) games felt like this. At least in terms of atmosphere, and the sense of reward when a truly unique item is found.

On vita: I am nearing the end of Soul Sacrifice. I have 7-8 missions left on both the Main quest and the fellow sorcerers ones. I'll probably play a bit of online missions before trying to go after Magusar. I really like this game.

Next on the line will be: Stick it to the man !

On pc: Still playing FFXII IZJS. It's not a great game but it could have been... it's tedious at times but much less than FF XIII and the improved graphics helps. I think that thsi time i'll finish it.

Playing shorts sessions of Shadow Warrior. It's really good but I wished there was a combo counter with flashy animations like in bulletstorm ! The gameplay is tight. I am having a really good time with this, and it's true that it feels a bit old school. The menu sucks though... not as much as Far cry 3 but it's slow and it breaks the flow !

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Played Civilization V for the first time yesterday, in co-op with friends. I'm really liking it so far, even though I usually don't enjoy turn-based games.

In single player mode, I'm playing some Sid Meier's Railroads. It's fun so far, but I'm having a little bit of trouble with properly connecting rails to stations when I have tracks from various directions coming in. Maybe I should let all my tracks join right outside the city or something...
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Playing MDK's. Just the only fact i don't have to deal with shoulder view of first person makes them pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Dark Souls
    Funny, your experiences overlap in large parts with mine. I think the necessity to fight through a couple of enemies to get back to where you've died before can get a bit annoying at times, especially if you're trying to figure out how to beat a certain boss. This has already happened to me twice, once at the Taurus Demon, where I didn't realize that it is actually possible to block his attacks. And then again when I faced the Bell Gargoyle. Again, the size of the thing and the visual force of its blows lured me into believing that I couldn't possibly use my shield to protect me against them. Even after I've figured out that I actually could, the sudden... turn of events during the fight had me running into a solid brick wall of difficulty that I somehow wasn't able to overcome.

So, after going through the same enemies again and again (~15 times), I finally caved and summoned Solair to help me out (other summons didn't work / always failed). Beating the encounter this way felt incredibly cheap and had I not already been kind of annoyed by the constant backtracking I probably would have continued practicing the fight. As a side-effect, I now have no problems anymore beating Balder knights and have learned a thing or two about estimating weapon ranges and move sets. Another neat trick of the designers to allow for training opportunities I guess.

Regarding the Drake Sword: I couldn't resist the opportunity of a little payback when I saw the dragon's tail dangling to and fro. However, given the overall advice to not use it during the first playthrough I haven't touched it yet. Instead, I went with the Battle Axe (+4 at the moment) which so far has produced solid results. It might be a bit slow at times, but since I've decided to go with Str as my main combat stat, it's the best weapon I've found so far that fits with that choice. The Halberd seems to be a nice tool as well, however it appears to be a bit risky at times, since it is so slow and I currently don't have the Str yet to wield it one-handed.

Other than that, I've come to enjoy the way the game is telling its little stories without shoving lore into the player's face. For example, I've stumbled across some dude in a prison cell. I had no idea who the guy was or why he was locked away (instead of killed) and curiosity got the better of me. Now he's hanging around the Firelink Shrine and is acting all "grateful" and totally not evil... I'm already regretting letting him out. :) Oh well, I'll see where this decision takes me lateron I guess.

One more thing - the Valley of Drakes is a small but incredibly cool area. Just found the entrance to Blight Town but still have to make my way in there. Right now I am having too much fun playing with the Drakes (and that neat "little" surprise along the side of the road...).
    Last edited by Squiz; 17-02-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    So it's like Steam but with another little installer that's separated from the rest of the data.
    I suppose the "UPlay game in Steam" comparison would be pretty apt. Although, because it is a console that was never really designed with online or DD as anything more than a "Maybe we'll do this someday", you have to actually be "in game" to download it, which basically turns my PS3 into a waste of power and space that I can't even watch netflix on.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I can't remember, but does the PS4 let you download stuff while it's in standby mode? It seems pretty archaic that the PS3 wouldn't let you do more than download but then the system isn't really a spring chicken.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I can't remember, but does the PS4 let you download stuff while it's in standby mode? It seems pretty archaic that the PS3 wouldn't let you do more than download but then the system isn't really a spring chicken.
    Oh, the PS4, and PS3 with PS+, have a wonderful model. Once the console knows it should download (or even patch) something, it does it automatically while you are not using it. The PS4 does that during standby mode, the PS3 turns on at 2 am to do whatever. Generally when I see something on PS+ or actually buy something I queue it up as a background download, go play something else, and let the console finish the download and install by the time I get back from work the next day.

The issue is just that The Last of Us did something really stupid. Likely because Uncharted 3 (Naughty Dog's previous game) showed how broken the PS3's OS was. 40 something gigs of content and my PS3, over the course of 24 hours, repeatedly "lost" the download, misplaced the installer, and did who knows what. It became amusing just to turn on the TV, look at the download queue, and see what is there and what isn't. But, when I got back from work the next day everything was installed and functional, so yay :p

In fact, it kind of looks like The Last of Us was prototyping how the PS4 works in a lot of ways. I assume the disc version does the same "Install until 70%, let the player play while the rest installs", and it just doesn't work as well with a slow content server. The problem is that the PS3 can only background download if a game uses the "normal" scheme. On the PS4, I just put the disc in and go make lunch or watch netflix or something, and it auto-installs everything.

I was just playing CK2.

The heir of the Spanish Muslim Kingdom became a Catholic, a Prince Bishop and then when his dad died the Kingdom became a Theocracy with a King-Bishop. The Bishop's sons predeceased him so when he died the inheritance was the usual random/elective of theocratic holdings and in the 40 years since then there have been four differing Dynasties of King-Bishops, with the latest one being lowborn. Also these guys control tons of Bishops so they always become Pope, but sadly give up their old lands (I know because I murdered the last Pope to see if the Spanish Theocracy became Papal lands).

That is at least two things (A King level theocracy and Muslim state becoming Christian) I have never seen before. Not to mention Berber Popes. And I had nothing to do with any of it, I only noticed about 40 years after the conversion that it'd happened.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    So now I have slain Taurus Demon and the Boar. And I am getting pretty darned good at parrying Black Knights. Took down two of them, and three or four of the lesser soldiers with the silverish armor (the ones that respawn). I've gotten the Black Knight sword - powerful but slow - and have finally found the Blacksmith. But that dude in the room underneath him...he can wait a while - I hope. Wow.
    Aw man, I really need to go back to Dark Souls. I got further than you describe before hitting a wall with several bosses, including the 'gargoyle'. I had been avoiding using any guides though and had no idea about the power of parrying until after I stopped playing. Up until that point I had just been evading everything!

On the subject of repetition: been playing Long Live the Queen!. Excellent fun. Started abusing the save feature and realised that there are multiple ways to succeed, so the game feels like it's opening up a bit now.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 18-02-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    So, after going through the same enemies again and again (~15 times), I finally caved and summoned Solair to help me out (other summons didn't work / always failed). Beating the encounter this way felt incredibly cheap and had I not already been kind of annoyed by the constant backtracking I probably would have continued practicing the fight.
    No need to feel bad about it. Winning is winning, everything else is posturing. There are still plenty of challenges left in the game to practice whatever skills you think you missed in that fight.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I think my trouble with Dark Souls is the mechanics. I like the world, the concept, the challenge. But the actual fight-y bits just don't feel very fun to me.

Presently I'm playing more Risk of Rainthan is probably advisable. I'm torn on it; it's gorgeous, fun, and challenging, but it's extremely repetitive and the one thing that makes it worthwhile (new enemies, new classes) gets muddied by the damn achievement system and the incessant mobbing. Once a mob reaches a critical mass (depends on what class you are, what items you have, and what enemy types are present) it quite simply doesn't matter what you do anymore--you're either in a part of the map that allows you to escape or you're dead. That would be less frustrating and more interesting if enemies didn't randomly spawn directly next to you but instead appeared at an appreciable distance so you could develop a coherent response. Averaged out across many play-throughs, I really like a lot about Risk of Rain. In any one play-through, I typically find it slightly more tedious than enjoyable.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Aw man, I really need to go back to Dark Souls. I got further than you describe before hitting a wall with several bosses, including the 'gargoyle'. I had been avoiding using any guides though and had no idea about the power of parrying until after I stopped playing. Up until that point I had just been evading everything!
    Parrying really isn't something you should rely on and is mostly something you learn for PvP and ignore for PvE as most enemies you fight won't be parryable.

Actually, evading things is probably the best skill you can learn. It lets you wear much lighter gear and you can focus on your offensive capability rather than needing to carry a shield (or even two). Of course, evading attacks is high risk and high reward as, if you mess up, the enemy gets a damage bonus because they caught you while you were trying to evade.

You are kind of supposed to summon Solaire at the gargoyles. It's a dual boss and it's weak to lightning damage, something to which you will most certainly have no access to the first time you go there. It's Dark Souls' idea of a tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja View Post
    I was just playing CK2.
    Pff, you haven't played CK2 until you've slain Cthulhu.
    to wound the autumnal city.