Page 994 of 1135 FirstFirst ... 494894944984992993994995996100410441094 ... LastLast
Results 19,861 to 19,880 of 22694
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Four Kings is just like Capra: It is a blitz. You need to kill them as fast as you possibly can.

For a melee character, use power within and/or iron flesh. Power within gives you a very good damage boost (40% across ALL types of damage, so magic too) at the cost of draining health (just pop an estus after each King dies). Iron Flesh is "easy mode" in that it means you won't give a shit about getting hit. If they spam magic you are boned, but if they close in to fight you can basically take on all four kings at once with minimal hassle. Either way, equip either the grass shield or the crest shield (stamina regen or magic defense) and once you close the distance, two-hand them to death. Dodging their attacks with a roll is pretty simple once you are humping them (it is a lot more annoying to dodge the magic as estimating distance can be a bitch).

And if you are a mage: Go do the DLC and get Dark Bead, and then laugh at how fast the Four Kings die. Dark Bead is basically a shotgun of death.

Also, I think they are vulnerable to fire, so consider pumping some points into Pyromancy and rocking the great combustion.

For most people, Four Kings or Smough and Ornstein are the hardest bosses. It really depends on if you are offense or defense oriented. Defense and patience works for Fatty and Skinny, but you need to do an all out blitz to drop the Four Kings.

Also: DO NOT summon Beatrice. You might want to summon a real human though. They get a 50% health boost for each additional person there (so 100% boost if you have two summons). So if you are already having trouble getting your DPS high enough it will just make things harder.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Still playing my way through the various scenario's of Sid Meier's Railroads. Even though properly connecting rails can be a pain sometimes, looking at trains never gets old. I'm not sure I'll stick to Railroads for very long though.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Network Hub
    I'm currently stuck on what game from my backlog I should tackle next, so I figured I'd put it to you wonderful people who probably know more about the subject than I. Currently the games I've got in my library are:

- Grand Theft Auto IV: Liberty City Stories
    - Half Life 2: Episode One / Episode Two
    - To The Moon
    - The Walking Dead: 500 Days
    - Psychonauts
    - Thief
    - Deus Ex
    - Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
    - Final Fantasy VII
    - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

I'm up for any of them, so any advice you've got on what I should try out next is appreciated.

400 Days you can finish in 1 hour, 1 and a half if you go completionist, To the Moon is about 4-5 hours, so if you want something to cross off the backlog list quickly, guess they're your best options.

Otherwise, I guess it's just a matter of what you feel like playing, it took me literally years to get in the mood for trying out DXHR (which is what I'm currently playing BTW)
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    400 Days you can finish in 1 hour, 1 and a half if you go completionist, To the Moon is about 4-5 hours, so if you want something to cross off the backlog list quickly, guess they're your best options.

Otherwise, I guess it's just a matter of what you feel like playing, it took me literally years to get in the mood for trying out DXHR (which is what I'm currently playing BTW)
    Yeah, it's not the most helpful thing to say but you're not really going to go wrong with any of those. I don't like Final Fantasy (bar XII and Tactics) but I still wouldn't call even that game "bad" per se; if you were interested enough to buy it you'll probably get something out of it. Depends what you're after - a 40-hour long haul? A quick jaunt? Fantasy? SF? and so on.

EDIT: Okay, a random suggestion off the top of my head - you could try Thief if you've never played it, so you can understand just why everyone will invariably hate the new one when it turns up in a week or so. Seriously, however the reboot turns out, Gold/The Dark Project is still excellent if you're fine with playing old games and all their graphical or design shortcomings (though those cutscenes still look brilliant).

I installed Skyrim. Spent 8 hours modding it. Played for 10 minutes.

Now I'm playing Dark Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    If I had to guess I'd say HL2 Ep1 can be finished in less time than To The Moon, and you wouldn't be missing much. Ep2 takes a bit longer but if you're gonna play Ep1 you're probably going to want to do both of them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Still playing my way through the various scenario's of Sid Meier's Railroads. Even though properly connecting rails can be a pain sometimes, looking at trains never gets old. I'm not sure I'll stick to Railroads for very long though.
    Like all Sid Meier's games with multiplayer that's how it's best played. Buying a controlling share in the winning player? That's a rare treat.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Dark Souls. Met the Capra Demon. Noticed his dogs. Got slaughtered numerous times. Got fed up. Cheesed him with dung pies. Who's laughing now.

I am bad at this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    I'm currently stuck on what game from my backlog I should tackle next, so I figured I'd put it to you wonderful people who probably know more about the subject than I. Currently the games I've got in my library are:

- Grand Theft Auto IV: Liberty City Stories
    - Half Life 2: Episode One / Episode Two
    - To The Moon
    - The Walking Dead: 500 Days
    - Psychonauts
    - Thief
    - Deus Ex
    - Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
    - Final Fantasy VII
    - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

I'm up for any of them, so any advice you've got on what I should try out next is appreciated.
    VtmB and (first?) Deus Ex because of personal preference. I admit i use cheats for auglegspeedthing in deus ex. You are supposed to feel as fast as a dead turtle and that's too much for me:P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I'm also currently playing DX:HR, I didn't stick with CSTW nor Grid 2 (I don't tend to play racing games from start to finish in one sitting anyway, I've been playing Shift for like three years). I never really meant to start a new playthrough, I just wanted to see how many graphics were in the Director's Patch version (answer: some, but I recall it running better on my old HD4870 than it does on my GTX 680), but got sucked in and played until 4am. As much as I love it, one thing bugs me about it: the way they hide things under cardboard boxes sometimes means I'm playing this RPG where I'm a totally cool mercenary working for a biomechanical augmentation company, yet I spend 90% of my time picking up small boxes to see if there's an energy bar underneath it.

I'm determined to not do what I did in my first (and to date, only) playthrough, which was to make a lot - I mean a lot - of trips to and from the police station to furnish the arms dealer with millions of guns so I had all the money in the world. However, like that first playthrough I'm trying to be sneaky and non-lethal which has gone quite well so far (unlike my first playthrough which devolved into a bloodbath by the time I got to the police station). As I mentioned in the RPS Steam chatroom, Deus Ex is the only franchise in the world that allows you to sneak into a room occupied by enemies, take a beer and an energy bar from the table behind them, quickly read the newspaper then sneak off again. I love it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Deus Ex is the only franchise in the world that allows you to sneak into a room occupied by enemies, take a beer and an energy bar from the table behind them, quickly read the newspaper then sneak off again.
    And all guards that you knock out are only carrying 7 bullets, what's that about?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Based on people's recommendations here, I decided to play 400 Days, followed by Thief, so that I can better understand all the controversy that will likely erupt over the next one. Should be fun!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Completed Dark Souls platinum run by beating NG+ Gwyn, beating NG++ Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon, Sif, Gargoyles, Quelaag, and Iron Golem, and crafting the last two weapons

Very refreshing, and I am glad I did it. I also will not be touching a souls game or anything fantasy-esque with melee combat until Dark Souls 2 is released :p

Fun fact though, I learned an even easier way to beat Gwyn. Yes, even easier than the standard issue parry:

Homing (Crystal) Soul Mass. Casting it causes him to break off attacks and dodge to the side, which is just enough time for the spell to prime. After his initial charge he never even swung at me again.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    Even though my first encounter with him was a bit frustrating aswell i honestly have to agree with gundato here - while capra certainly is a dick he's definitely not a badly designed brickwall. In hindsight i'd say that he feels like the final test of the tutorial (i know, i know - undead asylum is considered to be the tutorial, but i'd go as far as to say that undead burg as a whole is fairly tutorial-esque, due to its linear nature and lenient introduction of elements and concepts.) since that's the point where blocking, dodging and situational awareness is "put to the test" and where you're really introduced to the dillema of status effects and staggering.

Snide Tangent: And based on the experience of two fellow dark souls players i know i'd say that capra can be the breaking point for people that picked up the drake sword early/on their first playthrough, since it makes the early portions so ridiculously easy that capra feels like way more of a difficulty spike than he actually is - The drake sword enables you to play a lot more agressively then you usually can on a first playthrough up untill that point and might give you the false impression that you're better at the game then you actually are, while also possibly teaching you some bad habits (with the flipside being that the drake sword makes this fight easier aswell, but capra has the ability to really kick against that crutch initially)

Anyways, my tips for capra: Make sure to wear armor with decent enough bleed resists (if you have a decent shield and are semi-competent at dodging that's your main concern) and poise (getting staggered is your second concern) and either try to seperate capra from the dogs after the initial lunge or try to 'simply' take them out with one hit from a long weapon with a swing-attack. On my recent encounter with capra i was either using the claymore or zweihänder and managed to get rid of both dogs right after the initial dodge (yay for sweeps with big ass weapons) and after that capra becomes really, really easy since he's not much of a threat on his own if you remain calm - alternatively you can use the stairs to seperate them for a moment, in case you're using a poke-style weapon or something with little reach.

So yeah, welcome to dark souls, this is where the training wheels come off ;)

Well and to get back to the main topic at hand: I kind of bounced off of my recent attempt to start another playthrough of witcher 2 somewhere around flotsam (it's really as pretty as i remember - such a stunningly beatiful locale) and after some deliberation i came to the conclusion that i'd much rather invest a bit more time and actually replay the original Witcher first, so we'll see how that goes.

Back at Dark Souls again. Damn but I love this game. I hate it, but I love it, too. It might seem strange, but I am enjoying the ability to have a game hand me my a$$ now and then. Its a rare pleasure in modern gaming.

As for the Drake Sword as a crutch early, I take no offense. Quite the opposite: I agree with you. Its a huge statistical boost. It makes you better in terms of your numbers - but it is, to paraphrase an article I recently read on Dark Souls, a trap. At the same time the blade makes you better by boosting your numbers, it actually makes worse as a player. The Drake Sword is sufficiently strong, that you can fight more aggressively. It leads you to rushing through things, to a kind of impatience that can be fatal in Dark Souls. It does, in short, help you forget for a brief period of time just how fragile you really are in that world.

Its a lesson taken to heart. I've lost what souls I had already, which were not many. So I have the liberty of some experimentation with Capra without a lot of loss. I have, in essence, a learning opportunity here. And rather than shy away from the game, I intend to use Capra as training. I am thinking next time of utilizing either a spear, as I can attack with my shield up, and maybe even the Balder Armor I have, for additional poise. Because that stagger lock and knockdown will get you eaten alive. Thief armor is not good in this battle.

Either way though I will go back. And Prepare to Die. But I will also learn. And in Dark Souls, thats not melodrama; it actually matters.

So yeah, back to Dark Souls, with a smattering of Far Cry to wrap it up. And probably Thief next weekend, depending on early reviews/opinions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    need a pass from me3 so i bought anno 2070.

it feels... hard to explain: soulless? Im doing campaign so maybe it will get better when it opens more. otherwise i'll consider the purchase a mistake.

More Dark Souls! After ... beating the Capra Demon, entering The Depths was a refreshing experience for me and I've actually made some progress. If somebody asked me what the areas (I guess "levels" doesn't really do the interconnected regions justice) in Dark Souls are like, this is one of the examples I would give. Nasty and poisonous enemies lurking around every corner, hiding in crates, hanging from the ceiling, all of them out to eat you. Pitfalls. Maneaters. Fighting for your life in knee-deep water that restricts your movement while some jerk of an attack dog tries to get into your back. I love it!

This is probably also the point in the game where I am presented with the question if I want to continue the storyline in a (semi) linear fashion or just go nuts with exploration. It'll probably be the latter. I know the second bell is supposed to be in Blight Town. But there is this one gate down that corridor that I haven't checked out yet. And then there STILL is that one Black Knight that I haven't beaten the first time around. And then that one door in the basement of that tower was locked. And I didn't check where the other path in Deeproot Garden is leading. So much stuff to explore, danger everywhere! I love it!

Edit: A question to the more experienced Dark Soul players: How do you determine which way you're going to develop your character(s)? So far, I've invested in Str, Vit and Stamina but feel like I might be neglecting something. I am currently level 18 or so and got a couple of souls to spend, so any advice would be welcome.
    Last edited by Squiz; 22-02-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    snip
    My point exactly. And apart from that it also might make it fairly easy to fall into a glass-cannon mindset early on. Since almost everything dies after 1-2 hits moments like the first few fights against Balder Knights or the Black Knight and/or Channeler (That dancing guy before the Gargoyles) in Undead Parish it's rather likely that you haven't had the need to actually consider the impact of defensive stats up untill now. Getting hit here and there or getting staggered occasionally barely matters if you can end the fight whenever you feel like it/play with your food, so to speak, while fighting the first Balder Knight can be quite the deadly dance if you're still sporting a starting weapon (not to mention that black knight, who's bloody terrifying when all you have is a Scimitar or unupgraded Long Sword)

So yeah, thanks for not taking my blurb the wrong way, since it's probably easy to misunderstand a comment like mine when it comes to Dark Souls and read it like 'lol noob weapon'-ish elitist nonsense.

One additional tip i can give you when it comes to the Capra Demon: While it's certainly possible and logical to fight him at this point it's also not immidiately mandatory - Chances are that you have some other options available when it comes to explorations (or a metric ton, if you have the master key), since there's really no fixed order in which you have to do things. Have you checked out the area beyond that scary black demon thingy near the blacksmith yet, for example? (hint/tip: He's actually not that difficult, but it's also possible to simply run past him, asylum demon-style, since there are no fogdoors) Some exploration in that area might help, since you might find one or two pretty decent armor sets down there, etc.

(On that note: surprisingly enough Yahtzee did a zero punctuation review of dark souls earlier this week - he mentioned repeatedly getting beaten to a pulp by some boss before deciding to explore elsewhere and judging by the little puppy dog in that particular part of the review i'm willing to bet that he was talking about the capra demon hehe)

Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Edit: A question to the more experienced Dark Soul players: How do you determine which way you're going to develop your character(s)? So far, I've invested in Str, Vit and Stamina but feel like I might be neglecting something. I am currently level 18 or so and got a couple of souls to spend, so any advice would be welcome.
    Having only finished the game once so far i wouldn't really call myself "experienced" yet, but based on the experience of that one playthrough i'd say: It's actually more than viable to focus on almost nothing but endurance (best attribute in the game) and vitality untill the mid to late portions of the game and only put enough points in either dex or strength to meet requirements. That's pretty much what i did and i only started to pump stats into a particular offensive stat (in my case it was dexterity) fairly late since it took me a while to figure out which type of weapon i prefered. And even that isn't strictly mandatory since you only really need extra points in offensive attributes (beyond the requirements) for physical damage based weapons, since (most) weapons that deal elemental damage do not scale at all and still deal respectable damage.

The only other attribute i put some (very, very few) points in was attunement since i was dabbling in pyromancy a bit - Pyromancy is nice since it doesn't really require any attribute investment beyond some attunement for spell slots, since none of the spells scale based on anything but the quality of the pyromancy flame. (Ah and the pyromancy flame is easy to get/you might be able to get it already: Fairly early on in the depths you find someone stuck in a barrel, if you free him via rolling into the barrel he'll move to the firelink shrine, where he'll give you a free pyro flame and also sells you some basic pyromancies)

Long story short: Focussing on endurance and vit for now should be perfectly fine - Tinker with different types of weapons for now untill you find something that you like, then either decide whether you want to invest in that heavily for physical damage or if you rather want a non-scaling elemental weapon or two, in which case you only need to meet the basic requirements.

Oh and i think attributes cap out at 40 - Or rather: That's the point where diminishing returns kick in heavily, so you definitely wouldn't do anything wrong if you were to pump points into nothing but end and vit untill both are at 30+ (i'd say prioritize end, though, since it's such a universally useful attribute... stamina is life and a high possible equipment load can be a godsend)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    After some consideration and a hearty thanks to all the Dark Souls players on the RPS forums, I have decided to abandon my run at the Capra Demon. After twelve deaths, I no longer derive any enjoyment at all from the game and have uninstalled it. Also, I stand by my earlier statement - Capra, with the dogs and in that room - really is poor design. The gargoyles were challenging, but fun; the same could be said of Taurus, though barely. But Capra is just punishing me for playing the game, and that's harsher than I can support in terms of design.

So its back to the Witcher 2, or perhaps Far Cry 3. Something with either a minimum of boss fights or none at all. Dark Souls is simply tougher than my twitch skills and/or reflexes can defeat. Which is a pity, since I would really have liked to explore that world to its finish.

Hopefully, Thief will turn out to be a solid title.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    After some consideration and a hearty thanks to all the Dark Souls players on the RPS forums, I have decided to abandon my run at the Capra Demon. After twelve deaths, I no longer derive any enjoyment at all from the game and have uninstalled it. Also, I stand by my earlier statement - Capra, with the dogs and in that room - really is poor design. The gargoyles were challenging, but fun; the same could be said of Taurus, though barely. But Capra is just punishing me for playing the game, and that's harsher than I can support in terms of design.
    While i'd say that Dark Souls certainly isn't for everyone and i can respect that decision i have to same that it's a shame, since you're pretty much at the point of the game where it starts to open up and the true fun begins. Just in case you ever decide to install it again and have another go at it - which i find fairly likely, since Dark Souls has a strange siren song-like allure that is hard to resist - don't be too stubborn when it comes to the capra demon or bosses in general and treat it like a metroidvania:

As mentioned above: The Capra Demon only requires twitch skills if you fight him early - which is understandable since the game has been fairly linear up untill that point - He might seem like a brick wall, but that's only because it's your choice to bash your head against it, while possibly not noticing that you could do something else entirely, since he only walls off part of the world - Dark Souls is not linear, and maybe the capra demon is the harsh mistress intended to teach just that lesson, to snap you out of the linearity up untill that point.

Maybe try this next time: After you finish off the Gargoyles and explored lower undead burg simply ignore capra, unlock the shortcut back to the bonfire and return to the blacksmith - From there either fight the titanite demon (the black one in the large room next to the blacksmith) or simply run past him. You're now in Darkroot Garden and i'm sending you there for a reason: Explore it untill you find the Elite Knight Armor Set, one of the better light-ish medium armors in the game and a step up from anything that you could find up untill that point. It should have enough poise and bleed resist to make capra significantly easier.

Alternatively, and this is somewhat more extrem and a lot more spoiler-heavy when it comes to loot: There's a locked door in the Darkroot Garden which you unlock with a somewhat expensive item from the blacksmith - Beyond that is a zone where you really shouldn't be yet level-wise yet, but... you can in theory make a suicide-run for a really rather good set of heavy armor in there. Since there's a bonfire next to the door it's also fairly hassle-free since you can try again without any backtracking - If you run straight ahead into the forest in the direction the door is pointing in you eventually come up to a stone tower of sorts that connects to another building via stone bridge - If you make your way over to that building take the stairs down and check the backside of that building (run along its wall heading left after the stairs) you'll find a chest that contains the Stone Armor Set - It's heavy, but voila, you're now obscenely tanky - probably tanky enough to open the fight with capra with the 'what is it' gesture.

Maybe that helps, maybe it doesn't - But all in all it would be a bit sad if the capra demon gives you a false impression of what to expect. There are annoying bosses later on, some of them even require some minor twitch skills, but mostly it's just about situational awareness and patience.